Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 10

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Day 10 – Universal Love

Sunday 20th April

Today, it was off to Universal. I went into ‘commando mode’ and insisted that everyone be ready to leave by 8:15 as I was determined to get to the park for opening. Up until now, we hadn’t made it to the parks that early and I’m convinced that we weren’t getting as much done because of it. Chuck was feeling much better and, despite being told they could stay behind and rest, insisted on coming with us. We were on the road by 8:30 (a vast improvement) and arrived at the parking lot about 20 minutes later.

When we arrived at City Walk, I was pleased to see that the majority of people seemed to be heading straight on towards Islands of Adventure. We went right and passed through the gates dead on 9. Gary, Sian and I went on ahead of the others, to ride Revenge of the Mummy. It was great as usual, and we decided to take advantage of the lack of people and go straight on again.

Next, it was over to Amity to ride Jaws. We took some pictures outside first – Daniel wasn’t really sure about the shark and didn’t want to go on the ride particularly but we managed to persuade him it wasn’t that bad.

It was nice that we could all go on this together as Chuck and Reeny didn’t do many rides. They both were very impressed by it and even Daniel seemed to enjoy it.

We wandered over to Men in Black and, again, we all went on. Me and the kids went in one car and the others went in the next one. They only had one side operating as it was still early, which was a shame as we were hoping we could shoot at Gary, Chuck and Reeny’s car and make them spin

After Men in Black, we walked past the new Simpsons ride, which wasn’t open yet. I had really hoped we would get to go on it but, sadly, it wasn’t to be.

We took some pictures, though, and checked out the Kwik E Mart where Reeny bought a t-shirt for Adam (her other Grandson). A quick aside here:- for several reasons, we don’t get on very well with Gary’s brother and sister-in-law and haven’t seen them in years. Reeny hadn’t told them her and Chuck were coming on holiday with us but didn’t seem to realize that buying Adam a t-shirt from Universal Studios in Florida would give the game away somewhat. When I pointed it out, she briefly considered taking the t-shirt back and then decided against it, hoping they wouldn’t notice. It made me chuckle that she thought she would get away with them not knowing (and, to be honest, I don’t know why she wouldn’t just tell them). Just another thing which peeved me a bit about the whole situation.

Anyway, on with the show. Daniel really wanted to go on ET but Gary, Chuck and Reeny were keen to head over to Disaster, as we have experienced really long waits in previous years, when we’ve done it later in the day. So I decided I would take the kids to ET and the others would go and do Disaster. We went our separate ways and me, Daniel, Sian and Rea walked on over. Unfortunately, that whole area didn’t open until 11 am. It was about 10:45 so we waited. And waited! And waited! Eventually, they dropped the rope to let everyone in and chose that moment to tell us that ET was experiencing technical difficulties and wouldn’t be open until later in the day. Almost everyone who was waiting walked off – it was really funny.

After having pictures taken with the penguins from Madagascar, we took a slow stroll over to Disaster to wait for the others. We must have waited at least 45 minutes and Daniel was beginning to get rather bored.

By the time they came out, we were all getting hungry so, for convenience, we decided to have lunch at Lombards.

We would have liked to sit outside as it was such a pleasant day but there were no tables for 7 so we made do with a table in the corner of the restaurant, overlooking the lake. The food was absolutely delicious – me, Daniel, Chuck and Reeny had fish and fries. Gary had some kind of asian chicken salad and the girls had a chicken sandwich each. We declined dessert and paid the check. Again, we got a 15% Annual Pass discount, meaning my pass had almost paid for itself by now.

Gary, Chuck and Reeny really wanted to see Terminator and the Horror Make-Up show but I decided neither were suitable for Daniel so, again, we went our separate ways. Me and the kids went to see Shrek, which was better than I remembered. We saw Donkey and Shrek afterwards and got some great pictures.

Next, we all went on Jimmy Neutron – this ride is the only one that makes me feel slightly queasy and I find myself spending a lot of the time looking away from the screen. The kids loved it though and Daniel wanted to go on again but there was a 40-minute wait and we weren’t sure how long the others would be. Instead, we had a picture with Spongebob and headed outside to meet Gary and co.

On the way, we saw Dora. I didn’t think Daniel would be that bothered as he outgrew Dora a little while ago but he insisted he really wanted to see her so we joined the line. It was well worth the wait – he gave her a massive hug and chattered away to her. It was really touching and brought a little tear to my eye – I still think of him as my ‘baby’ a lot of the time and here was my proof that he wasn’t quite as grown up as he thinks.

Gary, Chuck and Reeny came over just as we were finishing taking pictures and we decided to get a drink and go over to see if ET was open yet. It was and we all went on it. There was quite a long wait but it was nice to be out of the heat – it was another really sweltering day. ET was great but Daniel cried because he didn’t want ET to go home – he was pretty inconsolable for a little while, until we went into the shop and he bought his very own ET to bring home with him.

We had done pretty much everything we wanted and we had reservations for dinner at Wolfgang Puck Café so we decided to leave the park. We bought a frozen lemonade, which the kids devoured, and walked back to the car. Gary and Daniel posed for a picture in front of the Universal globe on the way out.

I had hoped we might have time to pop back to Old Key West and freshen up but the traffic was quite heavy so we decided to go straight to Downtown Disney. We parked up and went to check in for our 6:15 reservation. We were seated straight away at a lovely table overlooking the lake, straight out towards Saratoga Springs. The resort looked beautiful and I commented to Gary that we ought to try and stay there again next time. The trouble is, there are so many of the resorts that we love for different reasons, we will be hard pushed to decide where to stay on our next visit.

Our server was really nice and brought us some yummy bread to munch on while we waited for our meals. I already knew what I was having – I was so pleased that the Veal Schnitzel was back on the menu that I had to have that. Rea and Chuck ordered some kind of chicken pasta Bolognese, Reeny opted for salmon, Sian had pepperoni pizza and Gary chose the ribs with fries, instead of coleslaw.

I also risked being labeled an alcoholic again and ordered a Cosmopolitan, which was yummy. Even ET wanted to taste it.

The food was lovely. Rea refused point blank, for reasons of morality, to try my schnitzel – I swear that girl should be a vegetarian!

We all wanted dessert and I was determined to eat more than one mouthful of mine this time (back in August, I was so full I could barely eat a tiny bit).

Me and Reeny got key lime pie.

Sian and Chuck chose white chocolate cheesecake.

Gary had Crème Brulee.

Daniel had ice-cream (surprise, surprise) and Rea got smores.

Our server brought the check and Reeny asked what their share was, to which Gary told her not to worry, it was our treat. At this point, I am ashamed to say that I acted in a very un-Disney-like manner and got rather sulky. We had paid for pretty much every meal for the last week and this was, by far and away, the most expensive at well over $250. I just hadn’t budgeted for that amount and was slightly worried we would end up running out of money – so, yes, I sulked. And, yes, I think Chuck and Reeny picked up on it. And, yes, Gary got a monk on with me. And, yes, it was a pretty poor ending to a rather nice day. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and kept my mouth shut in future – and Chuck and Reeny coughed up for a couple of meals later in the week. So it was all good in the end!

Back at Old Key West, Sian, Rea and I got Gary to drop us off at Hospitality House so we could rent a DVD. We ended up choosing Snow Dogs after I had vetoed pretty much every other choice the girls made. We walked back down to the villa, enjoying the peace and quiet and the girls told me they were starting to get a bit fed up of the in-laws. I must admit, I hadn’t thought about how it might be impacting them but, it turns out, they felt much the same as me. Sian, in particular, felt that ‘Grandma’ kept picking on her so I told them just to try and do what I was doing and bite their tongue. I have to say, though, I think the pressure of a holiday with extended family was definitely getting to us all.

After getting back and putting Daniel to bed, we watched the film before heading off to bed ourselves. Tomorrow we’re off to Aquatica – can’t wait to see what it’s like!
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Some great photos of Daniel esp the one with Bruce the shark.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

I love that photo of Daniel hugging Dora, Joh! It's gorgeous and so natural - brings a tear to my eye...

It's interesting what you say about holidaying with the in-laws - we only took DH's niece to WDW with us back in August 2006 (no MIL or SIL to really drive me insane) and that was enough hard work for us...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Joh, I take my hat off to you for going away with your in-laws, I can honestly say I would never want to go away with my family

Lovely photos - especially Daniel and Dora - so cute

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
Joh, I take my hat off to you for going away with your in-laws, I can honestly say I would never want to go away with my family
not only did she holiday with the in-laws now she has to contend with the longstaffs !!

i am taking notes on how to behave though

Joh im so jealous of the dora pics we missed her last year and i wanted a pic for the girls i look after

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Joh

All your food pics have made me very hungry. I love the picture of ET drinking your drink.

Honestly I do think you may have a problem with alcohol as this must be about the third alcoholic drink of this holiday and you have been there 10 days - steady on girl. I think your MIL has a point

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post
Joh

All your food pics have made me very hungry. I love the picture of ET drinking your drink.

Honestly I do think you may have a problem with alcohol as this must be about the third alcoholic drink of this holiday and you have been there 10 days - steady on girl. I think your MIL has a point

Tammy
I definitely did have an alcohol problem - not enough of it
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Tora Millypoops
Cleaning my Ears

Another wonderful trip report and photos.

Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction.

1998-May-Sequoia Lodge-DLP; 1999-May-Newport Bay-DLP; 2001-March-Disney's Allstars Movies Resort-WDW; 2003-March-Holiday Inn-I Drive; 2006-April-Port Orleans French Quarter-WDW; 2007-October-Saratoga Springs Resort-WDW; 2008-October-Saratoga Springs/Boardwalk Villas&Vero Beach-WDW; 2009-Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Villas

Tora Millypoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Excellent day Joh,but a shame about the in-laws and it all seemed to go downhill after that.I think you deserve a pat on the back,for the amount of times you have bitten your tongue.I love the pictures of Daniel+Dora-they are really great.The fish at Lombards looks really tasty,crispy.we have never eaten there but believe it could now be on our to do list next year-was it pricy Joh?We can't wait to ride The Simpsons either.The desserts+the ribs look great from Wolfgang Puck Cafe.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Snowy-girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I definitely did have an alcohol problem - not enough of it

By Natalie's comment i now know it's Natalie+her family you are going away with,as i asked you a question on another thread you started.Hope you all have a blast.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
Snowy-girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
i am taking notes on how to behave though
Natalie,you will be fine as long as you go where she want's,do what she say's+pay your way for all the food ,and act blind to her alcoholism+sulks .x.

Only kidding Joh.x.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

Great report, Joh.
I have to agree with Rea about the veal though. I still remember when Gary told me about veal production and I haven't touched it since!
Love the pics of Daniel and Dora.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

excellent piccies. I do sympathise with the in-laws - you are a brave woman venturing on holiday with them in tow.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
cazzie
DIS Veteran

Great photos sounds like a lovely day.
April 2005 - Rodeway Inn International - September 2005 - Radisson Barcelo International Drive - May 2006 - Pop Century - September 2006 - All Star Music - January 2007 - All Star Movies September 2007 - All Star Movies - January 2008 - All Star Sports - December 2008 - All Star Movies - September 2009 - POFQ - September 2010 - OKW - January 2011 - OKW - November 2011 - OKW, GF & AKL - May 2012 - Kidani, OKW - January 2013 - OKW & Kidani
cazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #15
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Lovely day, the food looks great.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: