Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 9

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Day 9 – All Around the World

Saturday 19th April

Today we were going back to Epcot. I found being in the same room as Daniel quite difficult as I was the first one up (as usual), but there was nowhere I could go to read my book. It was too dark out on the balcony and the door made a really loud noise when you opened it – I didn’t want to disturb the girls sleeping peacefully so I ended up in the bathroom, sat on a pillow. Not great! I certainly missed the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge villas.

Eventually, everyone else surfaced and we discussed our options for the day. Chuck wasn’t feeling too good so he and Reeny decided they would have a slow start and a wander around the resort and catch a bus to Epcot later on, leaving me, Gary and the kids to our own devices. It was quite nice to have a bit of freedom, to be honest, so I was quite relieved.

We were ready by 8:30 and set off to catch the bus. This is where we discovered that the Old Key West buses were not that reliable. Despite being at the bus stop early, it was almost 9 before an Epcot bus showed up so we didn’t arrive at the park until after opening.

I joined the line to get a stroller for Daniel while Gary went off to get Fast Passes for Test Track. That done, we decided to check out the wait time for Mission:Space – even at 9:30, it was almost 40 minutes so we decided against it and checked out some of the Flower and Garden Festival exhibits.

Daniel played in the kids’ play area while the girls and I went into Minnie’s Butterfly Garden. It wasn’t as big as I thought it would be but there were lots of beautiful (and massive) butterflies. There was one girl who had one land on her head and she was a bit freaked out by it – it was hilarious.

After that, it was time to ride Test Track. I wasn’t sure what Daniel would make of it but he agreed to give it a try. As usual, it broke down just after we’d got on and we were stuck at the beginning for about 10 minutes. Eventually, we got moving again. Daniel wasn’t really sure whether he liked it or not but I explained that, next time he rode it, he would know what to expect and would like it more. By the end of the day, though, he was asking to go on again.

We took a slow stroll through to World Showcase and wandered around for a while. First stop was Mexico, where we went on the new Gran Fiesta tour (well, not that new but we hadn’t been on it since it changed). We all really liked this.

Next, it was on to Maelstrom but there was a 40 minute wait so we decided not to bother.

At 11:30 we decided to stop for an early lunch and try Nine Dragons. As it was originally due to be closed for refurbishment during our visit, I figured we might be lucky getting a walk-up – and we were. We were seated straight away, at a nice table by the window. The kids love Chinese food and were in their element. They really enjoyed trying to use the chopsticks.

Daniel ordered the kids’ sweet and sour chicken boat, with pot stickers to start, and red bean ice-cream for dessert. He didn’t like the pot stickers much but ate everything else. Gary had the Canton Pepper Beef and the girls and I shared an order of Sweet and Sour pork and an order of Honey Sesame Chicken. The food was tasty enough but nothing outstanding.

With the exception of Daniel, none of us had dessert. I can’t find my receipt for this meal but I do know that we got a discount for being DVC members, despite the server telling us there were no discounts at lunch (personally, I always though the discount was only for lunch but there you go). All in all, it was a nice meal but I wouldn’t rush back there.

After lunch, we continued our clockwise stroll around World Showcase, taking pictures along the way. It was really nice to just be able to go at our own pace and not have to worry about anyone else. That sounds really bad, I know, but I was definitely finding the in-laws a bit wearing.

We stopped in Italy for some gelato, which was absolutely delicious. The nice thing about it was that it didn’t melt as quick as normal ice-cream so nobody got messy!

Soon, it was almost 2 o’clock and time to head off to the Rose and Crown for our DIS meet. On the way round, I mentioned to Gary that his Mum and Charles had probably just arrived at Epcot and gone straight to the UK for lunch. Lo and behold, when we got to the Rose and Crown, who did we spot sitting on a bunch eating fish and chips. They’re so predictable!!! I left Gary and the kids outside with Chuck and Reeny while I went in to see if anyone else had arrived. I wasn’t sure what David and Ray looked like but, obviously, I’d already met Terri and Aaron. I was standing in the middle of the Rose and Crown when a guy came over to me and asked if I was Joh. He introduced himself as David and his Dad came over, then we were joined by Terri. Her and Aaron had a table over the other side so I went to get Gary and we got some drinks and joined them. The kids decided they would go for a walk while we were chatting. We spent some time discussing what we had done so far and Terri was telling me about their slightly disastrous cruise. David mentioned that he and Ray had decided to take the DVC tour – you all know how that turned out anyway

After a while, the kids turned up and it was obvious they’d had enough of the heat – it was a really, really hot day – so we said our goodbyes and decided we’d call it a day and head back to Old Key West. On the way, we took some pictures with the fantastic Peter Pan topiaries.

Daniel really wanted to go on Soarin’ again but none of us wanted to wait over an hour so we didn’t bother. We dropped off the stroller and walked to the bus stop where (yet again) we waited almost 30 minutes for a bus. Eventually, we were back in the room and we decided we would chill out for a while. We sat out on the balcony for a bit but the people on the next-door balcony were smoking and it was really starting to bug me so we went back inside.

Chuck and Reeny arrived back soon after and we discussed what to do for the evening. Chuck was still feeling poorly so went for a lie down and we decided we would go to Downtown Disney for dinner. Reeny said she would stay with Chuck so we got showered and changed and walked up to Hospitality House to catch the boat. While the buses at Old Key West were really tedious, we found the boat to Downtown Disney to be fantastic. It was so relaxing, floating along, and we love to spend time at Downtown Disney so it was ideal for us and, for that and the size of the rooms, I definitely think we would return to Old Key West in the future. To be honest, it was a resort that grew on us – Wilderness Lodge was love at first sight whereas Old Key West was more of a slow-building friendship.

The girls decided to wander off and look round the shops so Gary, Daniel and I headed for Once Upon a Toy, after arranging to meet the girls at Wolfgang Puck Express a bit later.

We bought a few things (some Christmas pressies so I can’t really mention here) and then went off to Goofy’s Candy Company to get some sweets. We met up with the girls and went into Wolfgang Puck to order dinner. Rea chose the kids chicken fingers and a side order of mac and cheese. Sian and I both had chicken fingers and Daniel chose pizza (no sauce). Gary had his usual chinois chicken salad. He also had a crème brulee for dessert. The food was great – Wolfgang Puck Express is a great option for a fairly cheap counter service meal.

After we’d eaten, we walked around a bit more and then caught the bus back to the resort. As we were approaching Hospitality House, we could see Illuminations in the distance. We walked back to the villa, where Chuck was up and about and feeling much better. After watching TV for a bit, it was off to bed for an early night.
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

What a great day, and fantastic food pics as well

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Brilliant report Joh. Agree with the OKW buses, they really were slow this time. Don't think that we actually arrived on time for a restaurant booking the whole of the holiday. Ah, apart from Narcoossees when we left a whole 2 hours before the booking, just to make sure we arrived on time.

Looking forward to reading Day 10!
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great day Joh .The photo's are great,love the one with Daniel+Peter Pan.Me+Dh love/adore chinese food,i wish our girls would eat it.The chinese looked nice.Also the food from Wolfgang Puck looked real nice too.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another great day Joh. I've never eaten at Nine Dragons before, but the food looks delish

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Yeah another installment. Glad you had a nice day without the in-laws.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Another great day , nice to spend some family time together

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
cazzie
DIS Veteran

Another great day Joh, if theres one thing I have learnt going away with family or friends everybody needs there own space at some point.
April 2005 - Rodeway Inn International - September 2005 - Radisson Barcelo International Drive - May 2006 - Pop Century - September 2006 - All Star Music - January 2007 - All Star Movies September 2007 - All Star Movies - January 2008 - All Star Sports - December 2008 - All Star Movies - September 2009 - POFQ - September 2010 - OKW - January 2011 - OKW - November 2011 - OKW, GF & AKL - May 2012 - Kidani, OKW - January 2013 - OKW & Kidani
cazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 AM   #9
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Lovely day
Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #10
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great day and fantastic photos

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

The flower festival photos are lovely and how great that Daniel rode TT
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #12
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Butterflies scare the living daylights out of me (I hate all flying insects), so "freaked-out" would not even have come close to describing my reaction to having a giant one land on my head!

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

I do love the F&GF... More fab photos, Joh! Daniel is such a cutie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
Butterflies scare the living daylights out of me (I hate all flying insects), so "freaked-out" would not even have come close to describing my reaction to having a giant one land on my head!
I'm not keen either - imagine my horror when idiot MIL bought youngest DS a butterfly farm! And I ended up releasing them - it freaked me out forever...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
aaronandterri
We love disney!
Does that mean were ok?

love the reports~ but lol terrible piccy of me!!

My how they Grow~ My very own Captin Jack *
aaronandterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #15
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

A lovely family day at Epcot. The Peter Pan topiaries are amazing. The meet sounds like it was fun.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: