Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Can you get on the DDP when staying at a DD resort?

Stupid question to most people here, I'm sure. LOL But the DDP was non-existent when we last stayed at a DD resort instead of POR like our last 2 vacations. So I've forgotten what differences there are when staying at a DD resort. We definitely want the DDP again...pretty much made the vacation for tightwads like ourselves. LOL
Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBryn View Post
Stupid question to most people here, I'm sure. LOL But the DDP was non-existent when we last stayed at a DD resort instead of POR like our last 2 vacations. So I've forgotten what differences there are when staying at a DD resort. We definitely want the DDP again...pretty much made the vacation for tightwads like ourselves. LOL
No, you must stay at a Disney owned hotel to be eligible to purchase the dining plan.
shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Alrighty, that's what I needed to know! Thanks!!

I just can't ever remember to what extent the DD resorts are considered "Disney" other than just being on the property.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

They are on property owned by Disney, but they are not Disney resorts. You cannot get the dining plan there.

I think there's only one of them (the Hilton) that participates in Extra Magic Hours and I'd bet they had to make some sort of deal with Disney to be able to do that. Other than that, you get no Disney resort perks whatsoever for staying there.

The Swan and Dolphin get Disney inter-resort transportation, plus EMH, but they're the only ones that do.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Just keep in mind that there have been substantial changes in DDP, effective 1/1/08.

If your most recent trip was before that, today's DDP is much different than you are used to. No more appetizers, gratuity now comes out of your pocket instead of the Mouse's, and snacks have been radically reduced.

Check the 2008 DDP FAQ in the sticky at the top of this page. The very first post will give you most of what you need to know, including links to all of the official DDP brochures.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

I do not call the snack reduction "radical." The only real difference is that you can no longer use snack credits for anything over a single serving. Last year you could use it for 2 liter bottles of Coke, half gallons of milk or boxes of 8 donuts. You can't this year. But you can still get a wide variety of single serving snacks.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Hmm...I guess that doesn't seem that much different to me (we went in 2/07). We tipped anyway, and we never got over a single serving snack (actually I'm pretty sure we were told we couldn't)...and I don't think we got appetizers anywhere?? So it won't be too different for us, I suppose.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We tipped anyway
In 2007, an 18% tip was included in the cost of the dining plan. If you tipped a like amount on top of that, you were double tipping. Fine if you want to do that, but you'd have to tip more this year since the tipping cost is not included in the cost of the plan.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Well even with tipping no longer included, IMO the cost of tipping is still well worth the plan!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
livie1205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmm...I guess that doesn't seem that much different to me (we went in 2/07). We tipped anyway, and we never got over a single serving snack (actually I'm pretty sure we were told we couldn't)...and I don't think we got appetizers anywhere?? So it won't be too different for us, I suppose.
in 2007 the tip was on the ddp so the server got 18% already...wow they must have loved you!
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: