Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #766
AWHOFAN
Mouseketeer

Glenns story

[QUOTE=metalis4ever;43900566]I am pumped about the Opeth/Mastadon/Ghost show!!! They are doing a rotating headline and it

Before getting lost in my novella haha....How did you get into Rock?

I had older friends in the neighborhood that gave me 3 tapes for my 8th birthday: Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind, Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell and Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz ....Needless to say my parents weren't very happy My Mom and I went to all the shows together she loved rock music. She died in Dec 1981 last show we saw was first row Priest, Maiden Whitesnake. All those bands in red we saw together. We also were profesional Radio contest winners. Winning on 7 stations in Atlanta each week so most shows we saw for free and won album collections. We even took other kids in school to shows.

That's the thing, I skipped Rock and went straight to Metal which is why I have strange likes in Rock....Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions, UFO, The Kinks, Blue Oyster Cult, 10 Years After, Cream, Guns 'N Roses, King Crimson, Kiss and Rush are really the only Rock bands I could ever get into...
2014 WDW / 2013 July, IOA, Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT / 2012 Oct, WDW / 2012 Aug, DisneyLAND / 2012 May, Air Force Reunion Caribbean Beach / 2011Dec, MVMCP Coronado Springs / 2011 June, Marceline MO Walt Disney's Child Hometown / March 6th 2011 DREAM Cruise / 2011 March Port Orleans Riverside / 2009 Disney's California / 2008 PARIS Disney / 2007 Animal Kingdom / 2006 DisneyLAND / 2005 MGM /1998 Honeymoon, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, MGM / Magic Kingdom 1994, 1987,1986,1985,1974. / 1983 EPCOT First six months of opening. DisneyLAND 1972, 1971, 1970, 1969, 1967. / 1991,Tivoligardens Denmark.
AWHOFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #767
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Been a long while since I've had time to post, but I had to chime in how psyched I am about the Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost tour. I personally loved Heritage. Sure it's more Steve Wilson/King Crimson classic prog than death metal, but I'm more of a prog guy anyway.

It's also my 1st time seeing Ghost live. They remind me of the 2nd coming of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate ... Ghost isn't really breaking any new ground, but there's nothing wrong with that, as they're great at what they do.

Currently watching the Power Metal episode of Metal Evolution ... for those who have VH1 Classic ... tommorow night is the season finale focusing on PROG METAL!! They saved the best for last
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #768
Mr Toad was Framed
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalis4ever View Post
The new Nigthwish album is ok, Anette is ok but it's hard for me to get into Nightwish without Tarja she was so amazing. If you like Nightwish it's worth checking out, IMO it's better than "Dark Passion Play"
though i've yet to hear the new one... i agree, nightwish without tarja has been a disappointment. its just not the same. same goes for the gathering without anneke.
Mr Toad was Framed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #769
metalis4ever
Bringing Metal to Disney since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Been a long while since I've had time to post, but I had to chime in how psyched I am about the Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost tour. I personally loved Heritage. Sure it's more Steve Wilson/King Crimson classic prog than death metal, but I'm more of a prog guy anyway.

It's also my 1st time seeing Ghost live. They remind me of the 2nd coming of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate ... Ghost isn't really breaking any new ground, but there's nothing wrong with that, as they're great at what they do.

Currently watching the Power Metal episode of Metal Evolution ... for those who have VH1 Classic ... tommorow night is the season finale focusing on PROG METAL!! They saved the best for last
Both great episodes!!!! Rumor has it King Diamond is touring the United States August 2012...I can only hope I LOVE the King!!!!!

I'm skipping out on the Opeth/Mastodon/Ghost show, I've seen both Opeth and Mastodon multiple times live and I;d rather wait and see Ghost on a headlining tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad was Framed View Post
though i've yet to hear the new one... i agree, nightwish without tarja has been a disappointment. its just not the same. same goes for the gathering without anneke.
I agree Anneke was awesome and although Silje is ok she is much better in Octavia Sperati....
My WDW Trips:1998 -Offsite / Spring 1999 WDWCP/ 1999-All Star Movies/ 2004-Pop Century/ 2005-Offsite/ Spring 2006-Offsite/ Fall 2006-Offsite/ 2007 -Port Orleans French Quarter/ 2008 - French Quarter/ May 2009- Pop Century/Caribbean Beach / Apr-May 2010 Royal Pacific/Caribbean Beach/ Oct 2011 DL - PPH Concierge / Nov 2012 Coronado Springs Resort/ June 2013 DL Offsite

metalis4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #770
Mr Toad was Framed
Earning My Ears

Not familiar with Octavia Sperati... will have to see how it compares. some of my less than enthusiastic response to post anneke is attributed to the music as well.

yeah while i love opeth.... between seeing them both so many time and being less than excited about the new opeth album, i decided to skip the show as well
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #771
metalis4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad was Framed View Post
Not familiar with Octavia Sperati... will have to see how it compares. some of my less than enthusiastic response to post anneke is attributed to the music as well.

yeah while i love opeth.... between seeing them both so many time and being less than excited about the new opeth album, i decided to skip the show as well
IMHO the best Octavia Sperati album is "Grace Submerged" their other album "Winter Enclosures" is good too but I;d start with "Grace Submerged".

I am buying my Symphony-X/Iced Earth tickets tomorrow that should be an amazing show!!
My WDW Trips:1998 -Offsite / Spring 1999 WDWCP/ 1999-All Star Movies/ 2004-Pop Century/ 2005-Offsite/ Spring 2006-Offsite/ Fall 2006-Offsite/ 2007 -Port Orleans French Quarter/ 2008 - French Quarter/ May 2009- Pop Century/Caribbean Beach / Apr-May 2010 Royal Pacific/Caribbean Beach/ Oct 2011 DL - PPH Concierge / Nov 2012 Coronado Springs Resort/ June 2013 DL Offsite

Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #772
westgrove
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around these forums for a good while but usually only go into a few threads- today, I thought I'd branch out a bit and found this one
DH and I are both into metal, however, I also like a bit of pretty much everything else, my musical tastes include; Edith Piaf, Imelda May, music from 'The Musicals', Prodigy, Incubus, Megadeth, Tool, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Stampin' Ground, Machine Head, Chimaira, Rammstein, Lamb of God...

...and to add something to the current conversation, I've seen Nightwish 4 times - 2 with Tarja (one festival and one gig) and 2 without ( both festivals). I only own albums of them with Tarja and as much as I wanted to I did not like them without. Despite her accent meaning her words are often misinterpreted (and often with comic effect!) I really loved her voice and for my part I dont really think of Nightwish without her as 'Nightwish'

Laura
Nov 2014 - Disneyland Paris (?)
May 2015 - Tokyo Disneyland (?)
westgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #773
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Nightwish will be Nightwish as long as Tuomas is with them. If he leaves, it wont be Nightwish any more. Tarja has a beautiful classical voice; Anette has a beautiful traditional voice. Different voices, different ladies, different sounds. (And their new album is great!)

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

I've been BOO'ED!!!
DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #774
AWHOFAN
Mouseketeer

Just saw Nightwish Which album should I get first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
Nightwish will be Nightwish as long as Tuomas is with them. If he leaves, it wont be Nightwish any more. Tarja has a beautiful classical voice; Anette has a beautiful traditional voice. Different voices, different ladies, different sounds. (And their new album is great!)
Just saw Nightwish on Metal Evolution on VH. Which album should I get first. They are $25-30 on Ebay, not cheap, but imports.
2014 WDW / 2013 July, IOA, Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT / 2012 Oct, WDW / 2012 Aug, DisneyLAND / 2012 May, Air Force Reunion Caribbean Beach / 2011Dec, MVMCP Coronado Springs / 2011 June, Marceline MO Walt Disney's Child Hometown / March 6th 2011 DREAM Cruise / 2011 March Port Orleans Riverside / 2009 Disney's California / 2008 PARIS Disney / 2007 Animal Kingdom / 2006 DisneyLAND / 2005 MGM /1998 Honeymoon, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, MGM / Magic Kingdom 1994, 1987,1986,1985,1974. / 1983 EPCOT First six months of opening. DisneyLAND 1972, 1971, 1970, 1969, 1967. / 1991,Tivoligardens Denmark.
AWHOFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #775
metalis4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgrove View Post
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around these forums for a good while but usually only go into a few threads- today, I thought I'd branch out a bit and found this one
DH and I are both into metal, however, I also like a bit of pretty much everything else, my musical tastes include; Edith Piaf, Imelda May, music from 'The Musicals', Prodigy, Incubus, Megadeth, Tool, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Stampin' Ground, Machine Head, Chimaira, Rammstein, Lamb of God...

...and to add something to the current conversation, I've seen Nightwish 4 times - 2 with Tarja (one festival and one gig) and 2 without ( both festivals). I only own albums of them with Tarja and as much as I wanted to I did not like them without. Despite her accent meaning her words are often misinterpreted (and often with comic effect!) I really loved her voice and for my part I dont really think of Nightwish without her as 'Nightwish'

Laura
Welcome to the thread I agree hopefully, Tarja and Emppu will bury the hatchet and end their ridiculous feud so Nightwish can become Nightwish again.

I'm seeing Rammstein for the first time since '99 in April, should be a good show, hopefully they won't get banned from Massachusetts again like last time hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
I respectfully disagree without Tarja, Nightwish sounds like every other Female Fronted European Symphonic Metal band. IMHO Anette is just ok I can list about a dozen other female vocalists in that sub-genre that I prefer over her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWHOFAN View Post
Just saw Nightwish on Metal Evolution on VH. Which album should I get first. They are $25-30 on Ebay, not cheap, but imports.
I bet you can find them cheaper on Amazon.

If you've never listened to Nightwish before I would start with "Oceanborn"(1998) or "Wishmaster" (2000). Many consider "Oceanborn" to be their masterpiece album but I personally enjoy "Wishmaster" just as much so for me it would be a toss up. As a side note "Wishmaster" has the song "FantasMic" on it which is a tribute to Disney animated movies so if you are looking for a Disney tie in go with "Wishmaster".

Also the 2001 live DVD "From Wishes To Eternity" is amazing

Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #776
lilosurf11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgrove View Post
Hi everyone,

Laura
I LOVE Incubus and Tool. Maynard will be coming to my city on his tour with Puscifer and I'm completely stoked. :D
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #777
Mr Toad was Framed
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWHOFAN View Post
As already mentioned "oceanborn" is perhaps a good start, i also like "once" a lot even though its a bit less progressive and more commercial, well as commercial as you can get for a operatic metal band haha.

ive only heard the first album posts tarja but i got a solid meh and i dont think i listened to it more than twice. but it wasnt just the vocals, it was the whole thing
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #778
Mr Toad was Framed
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilosurf11 View Post
I LOVE Incubus and Tool. Maynard will be coming to my city on his tour with Puscifer and I'm completely stoked. :D
just saw tool, such a good live show, i really dig the new puscifer. hoping to check them out next time they play around here
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #779
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post

That is why I looked into this thread...was wondering if anyone else has been watching this? I have yet to see all the episodes but have tuned in when I can catch them. LOVED the prog metal episode too. Am proud of Yes, King Crimson, Gensis, who seemed to influence the newer bands, as I am a fan of the older prog bands (I know, I'm showing my age..which isn't 47 anymore! )

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #780
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Yup, I've watched all the Metal Evolution episodes. They air on MuchMoreMusic up here in Canada and the final prog metal (my favourite metal hehe) was aired a few weeks ago here.

I assume that all you folks have watched his film, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey?

:: Aug 2005 CSR :: Aug 2005 AsMu :: Sep 2006 CSR :: Sep 2007 AsMu :: Apr 2008 (Royal Pacific Universal) :: May 2009 Contemporary & Windsor Hills :: May 2010 Windsor Hills :: Oct 2010 offsite & Beach Club Villas :: Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Sheraton Safari & Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: May 2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: Sep 2011 Old Key West & AsSp :: Dec 2011 Bluegreen The Fountains & Springhill Suites at Seaworld :: Feb 2012 Pop Century :: Jun 2012 Courtyard Marriott Village :: Sep 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village :: Dec 2012 AsMu :: Feb 2013 Encantada :: May 2013 Disneyland! :: June 2013 Hampton Inn South LBV :: Sep 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Saratoga Springs Resort :: Dec 2013 Pop Century & AsMu :: Feb 2014 Windsor Hills & AsSp :: Mar 2014 AsSp :: May 2014 Encantada :: Aug 2014 AsSp :: Sep 2014 Disneyland! :: ...and 2 times as a wee one ::
Belle599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: