Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
firechick139
Mouseketeer

What Disney stuff should I buy BEFORE WDW so I don't have to buy it AT WDW?

Hi! I'm new to posting on this part of the forum but I have been a member since Oct. 2007. This place has so much info, it is mind-boggling! We are planning our first family trip to WDW, and I was wondering what we could take so we don't have to buy there. I just bought a couple of lanyards off of ebay (haven't even touched starting looking for pins yet! I am too afraid of buying fakes with my limited knowledge). I plan on buying a couple of autograph books, and I bought a bunch of neon bracelets and necklaces at the dollar store for nighttime. What else would be a good idea to take? We are going to have a limited budget.

All Star Movies - Nov 7-16, 2008 (Grand Gathering)

Port Orleans Riverside - Nov. 7-15, 2009 (daughter & her dance class invited to dance at Disney!)
Pop Century - Aug. 4-16, 2014 (Mother/Daughter trip after 5 long years with no Disney!)

firechick139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
justplaingoofy
DIS Veteran

Things we bring, not sure if it will affect you because of the season, we go in Sept.

-cheap disposable ponchos (usually about $1)
-glo sticks, necklaces
-zip lock bags so we can bring face cloths from the room to wet them to cool us down.
-disposable coffee cups (we get the refillable mugs, but sometimes fill the refillable mug, then pour it into the disposable cup to bring to the parks with us so we don't have to carry around the mugs at the parks for the day)
-tealight w/ matches (never know if you loose power in the room)
-clothespin to keep the drapes fully closed.
-mini misting fans on cabanera clips.
-quarters (if you plan on doing laundry)
-measure our powder detergent, or get the small condesed all brand 2 oz.(does 2 loads) with a couple of dryer sheets.
justplaingoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Something pretty neat for the kids, are the pressed pennies..you will need 2 quarters and a penny for each machine. there is a thread somewhere on here with the listing of where the machines are..my nephew will be doing that Don't forget to take extra batteries for your camera..some type of ID for your kids..I bought mine rubber like bracelets with their name and what they call me, with my cell phone #,JUST to be on the safe side...the bracelets will glow in the dark, info can't be seen unless taken off..wipes of some type to use often...I take post card stamps with me and I also print out the labels for all the cards I will send. Suncreen, take those new big click markers for autographs..depending on the age of your children, a journal for them to keep track of all their awesome experiences..something little to keep your room keys in if you are staying on Disney property..the magnetic strips make demagnitize if kept with your other credit cards..I hope I gave you some helpful tips..have a grand time and enjoy every magical moment..you will have many

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

My suggestions are......

I just shopped at the Disney Store Outlet today and bought a bunch of pins, I bought every pin that was $5.50, they were half off. Can't beat that! I was so thrilled since we like to go with the pins we want to trade not pins that the kids really like, then this way they have something right off the bat to trade with, and hopefully won't waste money on buying any new one's. I hope. I hope. I hope.

I also just bought T-shirts ahead of time, some where 4.99 and some where 2.99, for my DH, DS and DD. My DD is the only one that will wear them outside of the parks, so I just can't see wearing or buying something that cost full price. I also have bought our back packs we will be using, actually it's called a baggallini, very good smaller pack to use, but still fits everything in it that could be used or needed while in the parks. Bought these at a discount on bagsbuy.com and also bought my sons Crocs messenger bag at Dicks Sporting Goods, free shipping from both places. There was a sale at Dicks for the crocs bag (pretty cool bag, they have cool packs as well).

There's a discount code at bagsbuy.com. (save10) for the baggallini's and then you'll get another 10% off when you register, if you want to buy more than one baggallini, buy them seperate, this way you'll get the ten dollar discount for every one that you buy. It's free shipping so why not, it doesn't cost you anything more, but it will sure save you!

Hope this helps, also I've bought hats from the Disney Stores for DD, this way I'm not buying them in the parks, those suckers can really add up! I bought my visor ahead of time as well, anything that you can get ahead of time is good, except the mist fans, I know that a lot of people buy these ahead of time, but it's hard to find one that doesn't end up breaking. If you buy the one in the park, you have the security of knowing that (if you save your receipt) if your batteries run out they will replace the whole fan, if it stops working they will replace it and even when we ran out of the cold water that's in them when you buy them, they replaced the whole thing! I think it was worth getting it there. But that's me. Hope I've helped. Oh, check the regular Disney Stores for the same things that I've listed here, I think they have all the same stuff I got.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
firechick139
Mouseketeer

OH! I didn't realize the Disney Store sold pins! Kind of logical, now that I think of it. LOL! I guess I just never looked for them before. I will definately be doing that.

Are there any "fad" souveniers that ALL the kids have there? I know the glow sticks are a big thing, but is there anything else that anyone sees most of the kids with?

All Star Movies - Nov 7-16, 2008 (Grand Gathering)

Port Orleans Riverside - Nov. 7-15, 2009 (daughter & her dance class invited to dance at Disney!)
Pop Century - Aug. 4-16, 2014 (Mother/Daughter trip after 5 long years with no Disney!)

firechick139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Truelovernr1122
Robby's Princess

If you plan on taking pictures at the pool/waterparks, definitely purchase a water-resistant camera BEFORE you get there! They charge a fortune (last time I went, I think it was in the 20 dollar range). Spend the 8-10 at the grocery store and save yourself a bundle of money.

Same goes for medication! Bring tylenol, pepto, or any other medicine that you might end up needing. If you don't and you end up having to purchase it at your resort - you'll pay ridiculous amounts of money!

Lastly...weather-related items! Buy the ponchos and mini fans in advance, it'll save you from paying 15 for each of those when you can easily buy them at a dollar store before-hand!

Hope that helps

Engaged to my Prince Charming July 24th, 2005 in Fort Wilderness Cabin

Married to my Prince Charming on October 4th, 2008!
Truelovernr1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Millie12591;25651714]I just shopped at the Disney Store Outlet today and bought a bunch of pins, I bought every pin that was $5.50, they were half off. Can't beat that! I was so thrilled since we like to go with the pins we want to trade not pins that the kids really like, then this way they have something right off the bat to trade with, and hopefully won't waste money on buying any new one's. I hope. I hope. I hope.

mouspinsonline has pins for $1.75, all for trading. You get a grab bag full.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Wal-Marts in Orlando

At Wal-Mart in Orlando, you can buy Disney lanyards, cups, clothes, packs and such.
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Ponchos

Due to the frequency of heavy rain and winds in Orlando, I believe it is worth the investment to purchase non-disposable ponchos. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart for a very reasonable price. Do not buy the heavy ones. To be of any use, you will need to have them in your fanny pack, shoulder bag or pocket at all times. They won't do you any good in your car trunk.

Some friends of ours bought the thin disposable type and they did not stand up to the first storm when their kids wore them. For this reason, I don't think you should buy the really thin ones.

To find just the right thickness, I had to look through several sections of the sporting goods area. I found them in the hiking equipment. We were able to purchase matching colors. This way, we could quickly find each other in the crowds at the park. We even put large Disney stickers on the backs.
Bill_Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Samantha/NC
Mouseketeer

We put our tickets in little waterproof pouches-
We visited a wal-mart in Orlando and bought TONS of disney things for our kids--yeah they did not exactly come from disney world but close enough and lots cheaper
Samantha/NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

If you bring your own stroller...a plastic rain cover for the stroller.

You have to park your stroller in designated areas and you don't want to come back to it being soaked.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
moonvxn
Mouseketeer

congrats on your first family trip!!

if you are going during warm weather, I would bring a cortisone cream or a medicated powder just in case anyone gets heat rash. My little girl had a very hard time when we went due to that.
also on that note, the new pre-measured benadryl packs are also good to have.

we generally take a trip to a store when we get there and pick up some water bottles to put in the fridge, they are VERY expensive on property (picking up any drink is a good idea)

I have young kids and am a little concerned with all the nasty bugs going aroung so I bring the travel size clorox wipes (those are the only ones that not only kill bacteria and the flu virus but staph too) and just keep them with me in case i feel the need in a restaurant or on the plane if the kids are being rambuncious and touching or slobbering on stuff

also i write up an itinerary (x2) that has all of our dinner reservation #'s on and I carry one with me and leave one in the room that way we aren't searching if something doesn't come up correctly at a restaurant.

I would absolutely get disney t-shirts at like walmart, or on ebay, or sometimes disneyshopping.com and their online outlet will have disney shirts for like $5- just keep a look out, MUCH cheaper than at the mouse's house.

ditto on the ponchos from above-

note if you decide to rent a stroller you can get a discounted multi day ticket "booklet" just ask the stroller rental on the first day, you can pay in advance for the time you'll need it

if you rent a car- you can go on ebay and buy a AAA diamond parking pass which gives you preffered parking at the parks-(just make sure it isn't signed) which can be a total lifesaver with tired cranky kids.

hope that helps and have a wonderful time
moonvxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Don't laugh.. an ace bandage !!
Also moleskin,autograph books Fat pens,extension cord are just a few not mentioned !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

I second haunting the Disney Store for deals on family sets of shirts, etc. They definitely have great sales on that stuff.

I would also keep your eyes open for those spinny light things (do they have an official name?). I picked up one for each of the kids last year for $3 or $4 and they are OBSCENELY priced in the parks.

The other Disney Store purchase that worked out great was their beanie baby sized stuffed characters. Got a bunch on discount and we left them on our bed in a big pile each day. When we returned Mousekeeping always set them up in cool ways. I think I paid $20 total for Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Buzz, Woody and a few others.

The Dollar Store has a great selection of Disney themed stuff to choose from. I was able to pick up activity books for my 6yo as well as stickers, pens, little notebooks, small toys, etc.

My dh rolled his eyes at me every time I came home w/ more junk for our trip...but when we were at WDW in December all I kept hearing was, "Mom, you rock!"

It was wonderful to not be nickeled and dimed to death w/ all the small stuff. We also were able to avoid the Mom I wants since the kids had all kinds of "new" stuff!

Oh, I also picked up a bunch of glow stuff too... we handed it out to other kids during parades and fireworks!

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
sueh
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your trip!

We leave in July for our first ever family trip!

These are the things that I bought:

Disposable camera for each of the girls
Lanyards
autograph book w/pen
Mickey hat (got these at Walmart on clearance_
Visor
T-shirts from the Disney store (they were $5 each)
handheld fans
glow sticks
ziploc baggies

granola bars
poptarts
a few bottles of gatorade to make sure that they don't dehydrate.

I also picked up somethings that I will leave out each night as a special gift from tinkerbell.

Have a great trip!
sueh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: