Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
asgt
Mouseketeer

Disney Store employee benefits

Well since the cost of gas is eating away at our monthly budget there isnt much left to stash into my disney fund. I refuse to pay for a vacation on credit so I am trying to find other ways to fund my trip. I know that Disney now reowns TDS so I was wondering if anyone knows the current employee benefits. I know in the past that employees got 50% off thier rooms and x number of tickets a year to the park. Is this true again and if so do these benefits extend to part time employees? TIA
Old 06-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
disneygirl_wdw
Mouseketeer

I would also like to know. I am job hunting right now and not being very successful
disneygirl_wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
gasperdam
Mouseketeer

I too have been thinking the same thing since finding out TDS would own them again months and months ago. I have been thinking out loud to my dh
about many different part time jobs, and once I said "the Disney Store", he said, "Finally, there's a job you'd really like!"

Does anyone know how to tell if your store is currently hiring? Do they put up a sign at the store, or should I just ask a manager if they are hiring?

Thanks!

gasperdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

A diser on another thread I frequent said they do have CM benefits again but no stores are hiring due to the current store closings.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
DawnM
Dawn

I wonder if this is true. I mean, if the store closes in Philly, I don't see anyone moving all the way to Charlotte to work here.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
A diser on another thread I frequent said they do have CM benefits again but no stores are hiring due to the current store closings.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
I wonder if this is true. I mean, if the store closes in Philly, I don't see anyone moving all the way to Charlotte to work here.

Dawn
There are some inner-store transfers that are currently going on. I doubt that the stores will be hiring until holiday (which is earlier than most people think it is!).

Before getting a job at TDS, just make sure that you're ready to work really hard because although it's fun, it's hard work. Lots of lifting, moving, climbing up and down ladders and keeping a quick pace. Processing shipment is a workout in itself! LOL!!!! It is great job and working for the Disney Store (regardless when were owned by Disney, by TCP and now by Disney again) it is wonderful honor and opportunity.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
garydeb
Mouseketeer

Smile

Hi,
If you work at the disney store, does this make it easier to get a job at wdw?
thanks,
debbie
garydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

I was just talking to someone at a TDS today and they were telling me how all the stores remaining open were trying hard to make room for as many cast members from the area stores that are closing as they can.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find an open position at most TDS sites for at least the next few months.

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
asgt
Mouseketeer

The three stores in my area are all staying open. One of them is brand new a couple of months ago. I am still curious though if anyone knows the specific Disney Park benefits and if they extend to part time employees.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydeb View Post
Hi,
If you work at the disney store, does this make it easier to get a job at wdw?
thanks,
debbie
Yes and no. I worked at TDS prior to doing my CP. Do I think it helped to get my job at WDW, maybe. It's hard to say. However I think any prior experience with the Disney Company is a wonderful addition to your resume.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

I am so bummed because I thought we were getting a Disney Store at our new mall that opens the end of next month. A few weeks ago, I looked at their store listing and TDS was listed!! I told DH that would be a great place to get a part time job. I just want something to get me out of the house. Anyway, I looked last weekend at the store listing and TDS is gone . I am so disappointed!
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
asgt
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your responses!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
gasperdam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There are some inner-store transfers that are currently going on. I doubt that the stores will be hiring until holiday (which is earlier than most people think it is!).

Before getting a job at TDS, just make sure that you're ready to work really hard because although it's fun, it's hard work. Lots of lifting, moving, climbing up and down ladders and keeping a quick pace. Processing shipment is a workout in itself! LOL!!!! It is great job and working for the Disney Store (regardless when were owned by Disney, by TCP and now by Disney again) it is wonderful honor and opportunity.
I was wondering, do you work for the store in the Lehigh Valley Mall? If so, do you know when you will be hiring for part time or holiday help?
Thanks!

Last edited by gasperdam; 06-13-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typos, sorry!
gasperdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
disneynuts777
I have never had this done
I have the toppers in my bedroom

I am a CM at a TDS and I would love to know the benifits!!! Nobody really seems to know. Get conflicting info. all the time. I do know you have to have worked for at least three months before you qualify for any DW or DL perks. Your instore discount takes affect immediately. You get three complimentary park passes per calendar year for up to three people per pass.You must request your passes a minimum of 30 days in advance of needing them. Here's where I am confused.....do you have to work a certain number of hours or shifts per week to qualify for these perks? Because if that is the case nobody at our store would qualify. Sometimes I get three shifts per week at three hours a shift and other weeks I get one eight hour shift!! So think long and hard about becoming a CM just for the benifits. It is hard work with lousy pay and crappy hours. You never have a weekend off and with gas prices...if I only work a three hour shift I barely break even on my expenses.
disneynuts777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I worked at a Disneystore for 5 years. I loved it, and left after Childrens Place took over. I am trying to get hired back, but will probably have to wait until the holidays. Holiday CMS are brought in as "casuals", ie temporary cast members. Casuals used to only get the store discount, I think. Casuals did not get the picture ID, for example.

No time off is allowed in November and December, that was one rule. You needed to be available usually one shift both Sat and Sun, or available all day one of the two days. Plus 2 other shifts. That rule varied by store, and store needs though. You could have up to 2-3 "call in shifts per week". With those, you call in 2 hours before you are scheduled to see if you were working. That was hard on some people who needed to arrange sitters.

When I worked there it was strict on the dress code, but most adult CMs are fine with that. (ie tatoos, piercings, facial hair, fingernail length and polish color, jewelry, etc)

We worked hard, and sometimes the rules seemed to not make sense, like bothering the guests. Lots of cleaning, (one newish CM quit when she was told to clean the CM bathroom), ladder climbing(up very high too backstage), lifting, folding. Sometimes you need to push for sales, too.

I LOVED it though! I hope I can go back. If you have like retail, have patience and can accept working 25 hours one week, and then 4-8 hours many other weeks, this might be a good job for you.

The best benefits were at the parks in the old days, but we did not get much off on park tickets at all. I do not think they have released the new benefits store CMs will have.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: