Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #46
Daisybelle
You don't have to go fast, you just have to go

That is just too too cool. I'm really enjoying your report! And it helped me get back into my Disney mood while getting through my work day!
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #47
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

Glad I could help you get back into that Disney mood.
Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #48
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

Those pictures were great. I especially liked seeing the one of the front of the studios. We used to live in Burbank so it brought back memories. Of course, we never toured the studios. Very cool.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

You made me nervous.......I bet you were reallly worried that you would miss this once of a lifetime experience. STUPID TRAFFIC. Glad everything worked out ok.
Great descriptions & pictures of the Studios........you are making me feel just like I am there. I can't believe that I will be there in December. I just can't wait.
Ready to see & read more.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #50
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
Thanks everyone. The artwork holds a special place in my collection, and yes there is more to come.

Note to self: from now on refer to the 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall resin recreations of Disney characters as big figures so as to not confuse people wondering how big the ODV cart selling 1 figs is.

The POTC hidden Mickey is on one of the armor plates near the end of the attraction. It can be spotted, but sometimes the light has to hit it just right to see the Mickey.

Remind me where the one on Pinocchio is.
the one on Pinocchio is in the carnival scene on the floor at the popcorn box.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #51
toocherie

Quote:

Of course a few minutes later I would face a threat to my collecting focus (from a certain point of view). A forthcoming park exclusive painting. A park exclusive is pretty much like it sounds meaning that you can only get it in the park(akin to the Thomas Kinkade painting of Disneyland for the 50th Anniversary). This forthcoming painting is by Manny Hernandez and it's a beauty. It's titled The Happiest Street on Earth and features 106 Disney characters on Main Street USA with Sleeping Beauty Castle in the background. Manny was kind enough to show me quite a few of his character sketches for the painting and the work in progress original. He also showed me where a certain princess(you all get one guess and only one guess) is going to be in the painting since she hadn't been added yet.

Well since a few months have passed since I first saw The Happiest Street on Earth, more information has come out about it. It's going to be released on July 17, 2008 (an appropriate day to release a painting if I ever heard of one) exclusively at Walt Disney World!! (Ha, ha, ha, fool you). It's being released at Disneyland. On that day, those in the park can see a presentation with Manny and get their painting signed. Of course this is assuming they have any left by the release date. Disneyland, in a move that makes me very happy since there's no way I can be in Disneyland on the 17th, is making the painting available for purchase via Disneyland delivEARS. It became available yesterday, and yes, I bought it. I've convinced myself that because it features both a certain princess and the world's most famous mouse(and my oldest friend in the world, remember my mother put a Disney poster in my nursery before I was even born) at Disneyland. As an added bonus, it will be embellished by Manny himself even though Disney Gallery's website does not specifically say so. Manny came up to Cindy's store a couple of weeks ago and as we were talking about the painting, he told us that he would be doing some embellishment on every canvas edition of the painting. So knowledge can be a wonderful thing. Now I get to play the waiting game. While Homer Simpson would rather play Hungry Hungry Hippos, I have no choice. Disneyland told me the painting is being shipped in mid August, mere weeks before my next visit, but alas they can't hold it there for me so I have to pay for shipping. But courtesy of the premium annual pass, I did get a 10% discount. (And thus my premium AP has now officially already paid for itself over a deluxe).

The Happiest Street on Earth by Manny Hernandez

Please note that this painting comes from the official Disney Gallery website. To see how the other editions look and some of the character sketches, click me, click me! If you want information about the actual relase and info to contact Disneyland about, visit the Disney Gallery web page.
Sleepless Knight--why did you have to go and make it EASY to inquire about the Happiest Street giclee? Why? Why? Why? You are totally evil--trying to get other people to go down the same collecting road as you . .. . sigh . . . . yes, I just called Deliverears and ordered it . . . .sigh. . . you're just trying to get people to share your pain (and joy!)

Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #52
Sleepless Knight

I don't now if I should congratulate you on getting such a beautiful piece or console you Either way I think you'll be very thrilled with it.

Before I answer your question, I have to ask one of my own. Did you get either a premium AP discount or Disney Visa discount? They do give you those if you order through delivEARS. I'd call back and see if they can do it if you didn't. When I ordered mine, I told the CM I would be paying with a Disney Visa(not thinking about the discount) and asked if my premium AP discount is honored over the phone. She told me that the discount is the same, so she made applied the Visa one(as it was easier than having me read off the AP number).

Now to answer your question, I'll quote one of my cinematic heroes, albeit out of context, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Yes, high end collectibles are addicting. If you choose to go down that path, I recommend choosing one or maybe two themes and then adhering very strictly to those themes. In other words, choose a favorite film or character and then set your limits.

If you, like me, are someone whose themes tend to be fairly popular(mine are Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty), set rules and limits and then adhere to them. Any Sleeping Beauty item must have Aurora and/or Phillip in it before I'll even consider it. Once it passes that test, than it has to capture in some way the personal meaning the film has for me(see my thoughts on the As Beauty Sleeps painting. High end Mickey items must depict Mickey in Star Wars. I'm not so strict on pins and plush toys, but the strictness helps me keep things under control.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #53
toocherie

Quote:
I don't now if I should congratulate you on getting such a beautiful piece or console you Either way I think you'll be very thrilled with it.

Before I answer your question, I have to ask one of my own. Did you get either a premium AP discount or Disney Visa discount? They do give you those if you order through delivEARS. I'd call back and see if they can do it if you didn't. When I ordered mine, I told the CM I would be paying with a Disney Visa(not thinking about the discount) and asked if my premium AP discount is honored over the phone. She told me that the discount is the same, so she made applied the Visa one(as it was easier than having me read off the AP number).

Now to answer your question, I'll quote one of my cinematic heroes, albeit out of context, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Yes, high end collectibles are addicting. If you choose to go down that path, I recommend choosing one or maybe two themes and then adhering very strictly to those themes. In other words, choose a favorite film or character and then set your limits.

If you, like me, are someone whose themes tend to be fairly popular(mine are Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty), set rules and limits and then adhere to them. Any Sleeping Beauty item must have Aurora and/or Phillip in it before I'll even consider it. Once it passes that test, than it has to capture in some way the personal meaning the film has for me(see my thoughts on the As Beauty Sleeps painting. High end Mickey items must depict Mickey in Star Wars. I'm not so strict on pins and plush toys, but the strictness helps me keep things under control.
Yes, I got the Disney Visa discount (I could have also gotten the PAP discount, but as you noted it is the same)--thanks for reminding me though.

Great collecting tips--the only other high end Disney thing I've bought is a set of Shag prints depicting various lands in Disneyland that I got when I was lucky enough to go to Company D (the castmember store) and they had two sets left at half price. Of course, that was back in April and I have made no moves to get them framed--which I need to do. My office landlord (who is also my best friend from law school) has been after me to put up artwork in my lobby--I have these big expanses of white walls. I don't know whether to put these items here or in my house. I have actually been looking for higher end artwork depicting either the Grand Californian or Wilderness Lodge themes because my lobby furniture is Mission style. So I'm not really sure the Happiest Street/Shag prints will go well with it. (Which means they would go in my house instead.) Decisions, decisions.

So, I would suspect my "theme" will be more Disneyland Park rather than a specific character. Which is where my heart is, anyway--I love it all!

And I am thrilled . . . but waiting for it to arrive will be hardest part!

and I think from now on I'll just call you Yoda . . . . . .

Cheryl

Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #54
Sleepless Knight

I'd go for your house since I think you'll enjoy it there more. I do have a small giclee of Bambi in my office that Collectors Editions gave us on this trip that works great. You can tell that it's Bambi, but it's not very "cartoony." I love the cartoony style, but not necessarily in an office.

One of the aspects I really enjoy about fine art is how it's an adult collectible. Over the years I've collected all sorts of things from Star Wars action figures to Disney fine art and I reached a point where I felt out of place collecting small things made of plastic. Artwork though has a timeless quality to it that means it never goes out of style.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #55
Phalene
Mouseketeer

What a great report, I can't wait to hear more!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #56
toocherie

Quote:
I'd go for your house since I think you'll enjoy it there more. I do have a small giclee of Bambi in my office that Collectors Editions gave us on this trip that works great. You can tell that it's Bambi, but it's not very "cartoony." I love the cartoony style, but not necessarily in an office.

One of the aspects I really enjoy about fine art is how it's an adult collectible. Over the years I've collected all sorts of things from Star Wars action figures to Disney fine art and I reached a point where I felt out of place collecting small things made of plastic. Artwork though has a timeless quality to it that means it never goes out of style.
I'm thinking my bedroom so that every morning when I wake up I get to see the Happiest Street on Earth! (not sure what BF will think though!)

Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #57
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Hi SK,
I'm really enjoying your TR! Thanks for sharing everything.

The Happiest Street on Earth reminds me of the back side of a Little Golden Book. I used to love to study those and ponder my next trip to Disneyland!

Melissa
P.S. I once had a priceless piece of personalized fine art! It was my personalized copy of how I, MISSY SCOTT, helped the dwarves figure out the exact combination to a locked door (my birthstone and birthday!) and RESCUE Snow White! OMG it was the BEST. I wish I could find a similar copy... or at least somebody who had it. I think I still have mine somewhere

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
travelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #58
Sleepless Knight

Cheryl, your bedroom is the perfect place for the Happiest Street on Earth. It's such a wonderful and fun piece.

Melissa, was it on a little golden book or something like that. I may be able to put you in touch with somebody who might be able to do something like that for you. Let me know if you want more information.

Phalene, thanks for your kind words.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #59
luvmyboys
WoW Widow
Us non-confrontational people aren't very skilled at laying down the law!
I shed worse than an English sheepdog!
I got one leg stuck in the holey knee

This is a fantastic report! I've spent waaay too much time this morning reading it through-- and can't wait for the rest!

luvmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #60
Sleepless Knight

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I spent some time last night working on the next update, so look for it later today.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: