Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Disneyland 2: The Day Family Strikes Back

Well we have returned from our 2nd ever trip to Disneyland. I am a Disneyworld veteran. Living in the Midwest it takes alot of time and disposable income to travel to the world (been there seven times). We went to Disneyland last year and were overcome with the pure joy of the original park. Our family was going to do a Yosemite, San Fran, Monterey Bay, and Disneyland driving extravaganza but my wife hurt her back a month before we were to go. So we scoured trip advisor and the disboards for something to split our stay with Disneyland in San Diego. We desperately wanted a beach front hotel. We spent many hours and many days trying to find the right fit.

We decided on Hotel Del Coronado. First let me say that this is the most expensive hotel we've ever stayed at. The only reason we got to do something like this was because they had a buy two get one night free offer going on. So we flew into LAX and drove down Highway 1 thru Laguna and then into beautiful San Diego on into Coronado.

Our balcony view...the main pool, the pacific ocean just to the left (a rock's throw), and the main building to the right. We stayed in what they call the cabana room.

Day 1 ends. Day 2 brings on more Del Coronado with a little Sea World thrown in. My Wife and two daughters take a special tour to touch dolphins while the son and I ride Journey to Atlantis.
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
KCmike

Extra photo

Here is the main shot from our balcony
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Del Coronado!!!

Wow....when you guys visit SoCal, you do it up right!

I've always wanted to stay there (ever since i watched "Some Like it Hot" about 20 years ago). Looking forward to reading about the second invasion of KC Mike & family.

hound -
Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
KCmike

hound we did go way overboard in san diego

On our second day we decided to hit Sea World. We have been to the Orlando version about a decade or more ago. We liked it well enough. My wife and daughters went on a special tour where they got to touch dolphins, feed eels with squid, and feed sea turtles (my youngest daughter's favorite part of the trip). My son wanted no part of the dolphins so we headed out for Journey to Atlantis. It was your standard big boat drop with a twist. At the end of the first drop they splash you not once but twice with a good spray of water. Then the ride lifts you back up in the air sort of tower of terror style and it becomes a rollercoaster type ride. My son loved it. Sea World is nice. It's clean and they have a good selection of food choices. It's not disney. In fact all three kids said that they had a good time but it doesn't hold a candle to Disney. The kids did love the Shamu show (who doesn't?) and the little chant all the cast members do before the big splashes that come your way. We really were flip flopping about the zoo down there. We have heard how world class it is but in the end its still a zoo and we really wanted to spend our time at the hotel (since we spent so much on it!) and enjoy the Pacific.

Here are a few pics from day 2.

Day 3 It's all about the Hotel Del Coronado.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
chickyann
Mouseketeer

wow what beautiful photos
Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Loving your TR so far. Your pictures are beautiful. My DH and I have stayed at the Del too. It is so beautiful, and the landscaping so lush and gorgeous.

Hope your wife is feeling better. Oh, and sorry you couldn't see Yosemite, and the rest on this trip. You will just have to plan another trip out here again.

In the mean time..........looking forward to more TR!!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

LOVE the SeaWorld pics! One of my favorite places next to Disneyland of course.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
KCmike

Day 3

The hotel del coronado is an amazing place to stay. The location makes it the ideal spot. We searched high and low for a beachfront hotel but the options were really limited. Prices there are enormous to say the least. A bottle of water in the room was around $7. Can anyone imagine paying that? We stayed in the cabana room which we found to be the best for our family of five. Our view was of the main pool. The ocean is just to the left, the main pool is centered and the main hotel was just to the right in this picture.

We really couldn't afford the restaurants there. We ate at the village pizzeria and beach n diner more than one night. The pacific ocean is so beautiful.

Day 4 we drive up to Hojo and my favorite new disney park.....DISNEYLAND!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

Wow. Those pictures are amazing. I think I've changed my mind about ever staying at the Grand Floridian. I'll just stay at the one that inspired it instead(there are other deluxes in WDW I could try instead).
Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
KCmike

Day 4

We drove up from San Diego into Anaheim on a Tuesday morning. We didn't hit traffic until we reached about 15 minutes from Disneyland. The park didn't open until 10am so we had some time to get our free backpack from downtown disney and look around even though the shops were closed.

We ended up back at the magic kingdom around 20 till 10. We took a few pics after entering the gate and then our commando plan took into effect.

We noticed that the crowd was backed up almost all the way back to the end of the emporium...so we bee lined it through the emporium thru the shops until I believe you get to the candy store where you let out into the crowd. That is about 3/4 of the way up main street. On our first visit we were right at the rope in Ocotber and when the music came on and the rope dropped (Welcome to our family time) we made our way for fantasyland and rode Peter Pan for the first time. That time we really liked it but felt it was missing something. I contributed it to being in the dark for the first ride but who knows? So this time we did Snow White, then Pinocchio (on this visit we didn't hear the big mean guy say "You make me lots of money!" so that was kind of disappointing, then on to Toad. We were ready for Peter but the line was out of the que area so we went to Tea Cups. Again I must say that Fantasyland at DL is SO MUCH BETTER than WDW.

Our family then splitted up...my son and I went on Matterhorn, fantasyland side, while the girls ran to Toontown. They used their early pass to get in early. Can you believe that on our first trip we didn't go into Mickey's house!
We wouldn't make the same mistake twice. We met up with the girls and decided to take the train all the way around to New Orleans Square and ride the number 1 attraction...POTC. This was about a mid afternoon shot on a Saturday the first week of June. To all those who have never rode DL's version..shame on you..this one is light years better.

We then jumped over to Haunted Mansion. I still like it dearly, about the same amount as WDW but I absolutely love the overlay during Halloween. It was then time to eat. Our favorite place to eat burgers at DL was Hungry Bear. I would give you the shot of my wife rubbing her tummy in front of hungry bear but she would get mad of me at putting her pic on here.

It was then on to Winne the Pooh

I had gotten fast passes for Splash before we went on HM so we did that next. I still have to say that Splash at WDW is better. In fact it is my #1 ride at WDW. We have gone thru about half our day and really wanted to see Elvis Billy so we made sure to check the times guide and made our way back towards frontierland. Gotta go for now. Will continue our journey soon.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Sleepless Knight

Nice pics. I'm enjoying your straight up account of the trip.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
KCmike

Reason for the straight up report -- Day 4 continued

The reason I am only giving a quick report is that I did a Hotel Del Coronado one on the SoCal thread and did an extensive report when it was my first time to DL back in Oct of 07. It was called WDW vet goes to DL for first time or something like that.

Now on with the show.

It was Wed night and the park was open late. In fact it was open to 11pm I believe. The next night it would close at 9pm for a Grad nite. So we tried our best to stay till closing or bell to bell as we in the retail business call it.

We ended up riding Big Thunder in the late afternoon in which I did the billy goat trick and didn't really get that great of a sensation. We also rode Jungle cruise..

and then on over to Indy. I must say that I really love the Jungle Cruise at Dland. The vegetation is overgrown giving it that real jungle feeling. We also experienced that ride at night and I must say I was shocked at how well we all enjoyed it. My youngest daughter is now a fan of Indy. It is her favorite ride followed by pirates.

We ended up watching the Parade of Dreams coming down main street...

and believe it or not but none of the kids in my clan like this parade. My favorite moment is when they stop the parade and Walt comes on over the loud speaker and speaks the part of how Dland is your land etc. I get goosebumps everytime...at this point my kids give me the business.

We ended up eating at Rancho Del Zocal or something like that...the mexican restaurant that serves up tasty tacos, burritos and the like. They also have free water. Yes you heard me right, FREE WATER! There are cups right there for the taking. One of my favorite personal finds in DL. It's funny how you find special things as a family and how they become your own little personal gems. This is looking down the walkway towards the restaurant.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
KCmike

Night time finally arrives on Day 4 - 1st day at DL

We ended up in Tomorrowland for the remainder of the day. We rode Space Mtn (another ride that blows away WDW...In fact my favorite story or comparison of this is a trip report that said that WDW version is like a gear shift that is missing. They really need to update the ride at WDW.
We fastpassed Buzz before we rode Space and Autotopia and then came back and did standby and fastpassed it so we could ride it twice. This is one area that I like WDW better. I like the peoplemover, carousel of progress, and Indy speedway better at the world. I also like Big Thunder better at the world. We finished our first night with my wife's favorite attraction - Tiki's! Back on our first trip we had no idea how well we would enjoy this. WDW version is just plain bad. Back in 07 people were singing along at DL and it instantly became one of our favorites.

Here is a list (so sad but true) of things we did this time but missed on our first visit:
Main Street Vehicles - this is so much fun

Casey Jr Circus Train - we loved it...in fact more so that story book canal

Innoventions - Don't really get it - didn't seem all put together
City Hall- never walked inside
Thunder Ranch - ?
It's a Small World - still haven't done - its always in refurb

I think that's it.

Day 5 will be all CA
Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
Sleepless Knight

Interestingly enough, I liked Disneyland's BTMRR a lot better. Maybe it's because I did WDW's first thing in the morning and it felt like it wasn't firing on all cylinders or something.

Jungle Cruise is so much better at night now. I think it helps that they have better lighting so you can actually see the animals and what not. I also recommend Storybook Land at night. Simply amazing all lit up and so forth.

Maybe when your kids are older they'll understand why the Parade of Dreams is so touching. It's so Walt focused in so many ways, and I think that's why the parade stop part always gets some of us. Disney really needs to do a better job of educating people about Walt and what he means to company. Even now, 40 years after his death, the great majority of the most popular Disney characters were created by Walt or under Walt's watch.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

I love your touring style and GREAT BIG PICS! Thanks!
julezdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: