Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
pattikakes
Earning My Ears

Smile Disney Dining for Diabetics

We will be leaving in four days and this is our first time going to Disney since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I'd like input from anyone having dealt with this in the past such as which restaurants, menus, snacks, etc. as it's all a little overwhelming for me right now. Any tips would be helpful. Fortunately, I'm on oral meds so that makes it a little easier.
pattikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Are you on the dining plan and looking for ways to fit your medical needs into the plan? I'm assuming so as the post is on the Dining Plan board. One thing to remember is that you cannot substitute an appetizer for a dessert, but you can ask for an alternate dessert that might fit your medical needs.

If you are looking for general information about allergies, the DISAbilities board is possibly the best place for advice on that topic.
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Tink6666
Mouseketeer

You can add the special need onto your reservation for the dining plan. When you are seated, just let the server know you are diabetic. The chef will come out and help to tailor your meal to your needs. If you need less carbs, they will adjust the meal. Most table service meals have a no sugar added dessert, some counter service have them too. If you are only doing counter service meals, you willl need to be diligent on your own. We have had many successful trips with one or two diabetics with us. Just like anywhere else it takes a little more planning and watching your sugars. Have fun and remember you may be exercising (walking) more than you normally are so take that into consideration also.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink6666 View Post
You can add the special need onto your reservation for the dining plan. When you are seated, just let the server know you are diabetic. The chef will come out and help to tailor your meal to your needs. If you need less carbs, they will adjust the meal. Most table service meals have a no sugar added dessert, some counter service have them too. If you are only doing counter service meals, you willl need to be diligent on your own. We have had many successful trips with one or two diabetics with us. Just like anywhere else it takes a little more planning and watching your sugars. Have fun and remember you may be exercising (walking) more than you normally are so take that into consideration also.
Disney does not understand diabetes. The wait staff will often suggest the no-sugar-added dessert, which in many cases is only no-sugar-added because the ingredients are already high in sugar, or they've added sugar alcohol to the dish, or because it's made with an alternative non-sugar sweetener. You need to be dilgent and examine what you're being offered. In one case, the no-sugar-added dessert was loaded with carbs and fruit sugars. It would be better for a diabetic diet to just have the regular cheesecake than to eat the suggested dessert.

One thing Disney does understand is "reduced carb diet". You can almost always get them to substitute items like potatoes for vegetables, not put the sweet teryaki sauce on the meat, or get your burger in a wrap instead of a 28g of carbs roll. All you need to do is to ask.

I've heard a myth that the chef would come out and talk, but I've never experienced it. I guess you might get to speak to the chef if you ask for him/her, or you cannot figure out what is healthy for you on the menu, but we've never done it.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Tink6666
Mouseketeer

we have had chefs come to our table, the wait staff saw that there was a dietary need linked to our reservation and told us the chef would be out. they substituted the carbs for vegetables and offered an alternative for dessert. We did not ask the chef to come out, but He did and we were very impressed. It was not just once that this happened during the trip but multiple times.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: