Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > In Memoriam
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #46
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneygirlTeacher View Post
What a heartwarming trip report and it is such a wonderful tribute to your wonderful dad! How awesome is that to be a single dad and take your children on such fun trips! He will be there with you in spirit when you go back, I am sure of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_77 View Post
I loved this trip report. It was a sweet way to share your memories of Disney with your dad. I loved what you said about him being a 7 yr old cowboy with no worries. You are right, we do need to remind our parents we love them and let them know what our fondest memories of them are.

Thanks for sharing.
Wow! I didn't realize what a great response I'd get to this thread. I'm glad I did this. It has helped with the loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtodisneylover View Post
I am sorry for your loss. 6/5 was the 3 year anniversary of my father's passing. My father passed 4 months before our Oct 07 trip (at the age of 61). He was supposed to be going with us (myself, husband, two kids and mom) and couldn't wait to be in Disney with his two grandkids. Because we knew how much he loved going to Disney we decided not to cancel the trip. I truly know how you feel when you say you will miss calling him and showing him pictures. Were there times we all cried while in Disney because of how much we all wished he was there - yes. But there were also lots of smiles and laughter knowing he was "with us" and would have loved this ride or that restaurant. My many trips to Disney with my dad may still bring some tears to my eyes but they also bring me so much happiness - my memories will always be with me.

Thank you for sharing your pictures. Your TR made me both cry and smile.
I hoped the pictures would bring back fond memories for everyone that signed on to the thread. With a few chuckles. I didn't want to concentrate on the bad. My DDad would have wanted me to talk about the good times. I'm sorry about your DDad. You're right it will be hard this Sept. for me at WDW. I know I will be talking to him in my head the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruterubouzu View Post
This was a very sweet tribute to your dad. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks for sharing your photos with all of us. I haven't been to WDW since 87 and some of my happiest memories are of that trip with my dad, mom, brother and sister. The photos of Epcot from around that time bring back a lot of happy times.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendoendo View Post
Thanks for bringing back fond memories of my Dad on Father's Day. My Dad passed away in 1989, two months after he retired. Your pictures and thoughts made me remember all the great times we shared together. I recently became a Father in December and I hope I Can be half the dad he was.
You know, I've known too many good people who've worked all their lives and had big plans for when they retired, only to be taken away from us within the first couple of years. I am so sorry that your DDad didn't get a chance to enjoy his much deserved retirement. This is why my DH and I are trying to see this country now. Congratulations, on being a new DDad! . One tip. Take lots of pictures. When you think you've got enough take more!!
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #47
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran
 
2BusyPlanning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NW Mississippi, Memphis Area
Posts: 953

That was very sweet of you to put that together. When I see my parents in December for our trip together (we live on MS and they live in OH) I will surely thank him for starting my Disney obsession! I connected with so many of your pictures. I borrowed my parents photos one time and scanned a bunch. One of my biggest memories was when we took the monorail over to Epcot when they were building Spaceship Earth. Half of the tiles were on it and you could see the track spiraling up to the top through the part that wasn't tiled.

I liked the feathered hair, by the way. (I just had to add that!)

Plan on in his memory...
__________________
- Lydia

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374528876126214/


1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
2BusyPlanning is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #48
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran
 
MeLaNie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,064

I am so sorry about your father's passing. I loved this tribute though. I recenlty dug through some old pictures of one of my family's trips to WDW (we went twice when I was a kid) and had some good laughs, but also realized that we were pretty lucky. My parents had to scrimp and save to take us on both of those trips and back then, most of my friends had never been to WDW. I have now been to WDW 4 times without my parents (the last 3 with my own kids) and each time I always bring them a little something back so that we all remember our times there.
Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Me DH DS(9) DS(6) DDoggy(10)

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 DLR-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 3/2014 DCL-Magic surprise getaway!
MeLaNie9 is offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #49
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BusyPlanning View Post
That was very sweet of you to put that together. When I see my parents in December for our trip together (we live on MS and they live in OH) I will surely thank him for starting my Disney obsession! I connected with so many of your pictures. I borrowed my parents photos one time and scanned a bunch. One of my biggest memories was when we took the monorail over to Epcot when they were building Spaceship Earth. Half of the tiles were on it and you could see the track spiraling up to the top through the part that wasn't tiled.

I liked the feathered hair, by the way. (I just had to add that!)

Plan on in his memory...
Thank you and the feathered thing is just called layered now. I've seen that style on a few girls lately. Just don't tell them where it came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLaNie9 View Post
I am so sorry about your father's passing. I loved this tribute though. I recenlty dug through some old pictures of one of my family's trips to WDW (we went twice when I was a kid) and had some good laughs, but also realized that we were pretty lucky. My parents had to scrimp and save to take us on both of those trips and back then, most of my friends had never been to WDW. I have now been to WDW 4 times without my parents (the last 3 with my own kids) and each time I always bring them a little something back so that we all remember our times there.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks and you're welcome. I honestly don't know how my dad did it. We loved going to King's Island and did that about every year, sometimes more than once.
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #50
GiGiJoeysMom
Mouseketeer
 
GiGiJoeysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 76

I really wish I had not read this at work. People are walking by my office asking me if I am ok as I cry.

You had a wonderful dad and your pictures brought back all of my memories of my grandfather. Until this last trip in January, he went on every disney trip with us, and probably help pay for a lot of them. We still laugh at some of the antics he would pull while we were away. This last trip was wonderful but so weird without him.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Kim
__________________
Bridesmaid at My First Disney Wedding in January 2008

Me:

DH:

DS:

DDrincess:
GiGiJoeysMom is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #51
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGiJoeysMom View Post
I really wish I had not read this at work. People are walking by my office asking me if I am ok as I cry.

You had a wonderful dad and your pictures brought back all of my memories of my grandfather. Until this last trip in January, he went on every disney trip with us, and probably help pay for a lot of them. We still laugh at some of the antics he would pull while we were away. This last trip was wonderful but so weird without him.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Kim
I hope you didn't get into any trouble at work.
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #52
Nee Nee and Biddy
Mouseketeer
 
Nee Nee and Biddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 306

I loved this trip report! It brought tears to my eyes! You were blessed to have such a wonderful dad and he was blessed to have you as a daughter. This has reminded me of the one of the main reasons we go to WDW, to make memories with our families. I hope when I'm gone my children can look at our pictures and remember all of the good times we had. Thanks for posting this.
__________________
Me DH DS:8 y/o DD:6 y/o
Nee Nee and Biddy is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #53
jackdis
DIS Veteran
 
jackdis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 1,350

Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry about the loss of your dad. Hold onto all those precious memories. He is smiling down at you and he most definitely will be smiling at you on your next trip to Disney.

I loved seeing your pictures. Brought back some great memories...and a few not so great, mostly regarding fashion and hair. I have a lot of pictures with that same look! We thought we looked so good, didn't we??? LOL...
I totally forgot about the double socks. I would do that all the time. Yikes! I won't say much about what my DD picks out next time....lol...
__________________
I've been BOO'd by PNO4TE
Bermuda/NCL Trip Report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...php?p=10939721
1990 WDW Grad Nite 2003 Swan and Dolphin Disney Wonder Aug. 2004 Hawaii June 2005 POFQ April 2006 CBR June-July 2006 POP Aug. 2006 POP February 2007 HawaiiMar.-Apr. 2007 POPJuly NCL Cruise to Bermuda Aug.-Sept. 2007 POP November 2007 POP Feb. 2008 NOLA/Carnival Cruise to Mexico March2008POPMay 2008 RCCL Bahamas/EPCOTAugust 2008 POLY CL Dec. 08/Jan. 09 CBR Feb. 2009 POFQ JULY 2009 POLY CL
March 2010 BLT JULY 2010 BLTFeb 2011 1 night at BLT post cruiseJULY 2011 BLT
July 2012 Off property
July 2013 BLT/AKL
jackdis is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #54
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

NN&B and JD - Your Welcome! I hope your trips will be magical also!
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #55
Imagoofy1
Mouseketeer
 
Imagoofy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 431

Sorry for your loss. What a great Tribute to your dad. Loved all the pics - brings back many good memories.
__________________
ME DH DS DDIL: DGD7 DGS5

1st disney trip 1983 - off property, 1984, 85', 86', 87', 88', 96', 03', 04', 05 - off property
2006 Pop Century, 2007 All Star Sports, 2008 Pop Century and 1st Disney Cruise, 2009 CBR , 2010 CBR :beach
Imagoofy1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #56
starrzone
Quirky with snack cakes
 
starrzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,279

In your pictures I saw a man who loved his kids so much and who cherished every moment with them. I loved the blast from the past, especially the '89 pictures...the first time we went to WDW was as a family in the fall of '90 when I was almost 9, and I think my father was more excited than us kids were! I still remember walking into the MK with my family, through the castle, and riding on Cinderella's Carousel. Your dad's memory will definitely live on every visit you make.
__________________



Come check out my blog: http://starrzone.wordpress.com

starrzone is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #57
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrzone View Post
In your pictures I saw a man who loved his kids so much and who cherished every moment with them. I loved the blast from the past, especially the '89 pictures...the first time we went to WDW was as a family in the fall of '90 when I was almost 9, and I think my father was more excited than us kids were! I still remember walking into the MK with my family, through the castle, and riding on Cinderella's Carousel. Your dad's memory will definitely live on every visit you make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagoofy1 View Post
Sorry for your loss. What a great Tribute to your dad. Loved all the pics - brings back many good memories.
Thank you, both. I'm glad you got to see this. I'm getting very close to going and I know that 50's PTC will biggest reminder of him because we both loved it so much. A part of me can't wait and a part of me is dreading it. I hope I don't cry in my milkshake!
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #58
Canusa Family
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 71

I really enjoyed reading your trip report.Made me think of all the DL trips with my Mom.My mom passed away June 30th 2007, while I was with her in the hospital.She was 63.She also loved Disney!Looking at your pictures, brings back alot of memorys.Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Canusa Family is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #59
lazydoxy66
Live, love, and laugh!
 
lazydoxy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana, rural home
Posts: 1,731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canusa Family View Post
I really enjoyed reading your trip report.Made me think of all the DL trips with my Mom.My mom passed away June 30th 2007, while I was with her in the hospital.She was 63.She also loved Disney!Looking at your pictures, brings back alot of memorys.Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Thanks. Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope to get back to DL one day. We were both lucky to have Disney parents!!
__________________
Kristel---

lazydoxy66 is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #60
DisneygirlTeacher
Rather Be At Disney World!
 
DisneygirlTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 291


Awww...I love that term "Disney Parents!!" Funny how going someplace can remind you so much of someone and you feel like you are right back in that time. Oh, and speaking of "lazy doxies.."....I have one right here on the couch covered up in a blanket so light doesn't dare touch his eyes!!!! He is both a handful and a blessing!!
__________________
Me
DH
DD
and and
Been Too Many Times to Count
Worked at Disney While in College
DisneygirlTeacher is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.