Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

T&T and Two First Timers Day8

Saturday 10th May
The Crew

Tony ……………….Driver and general gofer
Theresa…………….Scrapbook shopper extraordinaire
Peggy (my mum)…..I’ll go on anything as long as it’s not upside down.
Zena (my aunt)…….Ditto

We had an absolutely fabulous day at Discovery Cove.

We started off with continental breakfast, consisting of cereals, jams, croissants, fruit, pastries, juices and coffee. No matter how many times I go, I don’t think I will ever get my head around mixing sweet and savoury. I thought the Danish Pastry was going to be a custard one but it was cheese with icing over the top. Whenever we have a breakfast at somewhere like Denny’s, I always have the savoury and then eat the pancakes as a dessert but the Americans always mix it up on the same plate.

After a very nice breakfast (eaten English style) we bagged some loungers under a parasol. We were glad we did as the temperatures got up to mid to high nineties today.

We then went to get our snorkelling gear and wet suits / vests. Theresa and I went for the vest but Mum and Zena opted for the suit. It was so funny watching them trying to get them on. They were wriggling and contorting their bodies in the most peculiar ways and the fits of giggles they kept breaking into didn’t help. Eventual they managed to get them on and next they had to master snorkelling which was even worse as my Mum found you can’t keep a watertight seal on a snorkel if you keep giggling. She tried for ages, bless her, but she never did master it. She can swim a little but is not happy out of her depth, even with a vest on, and being vertically challenged that isn’t very deep. She did her best and really enjoyed her day but didn’t get to snorkel through the coral reef, which I’m sure she would have loved.

In the end, Mum and Zena got fed up with the wet suits and decided to change them before we did the dolphin swim, as they were struggling taking the top half on and off as it was too hot to sit it when not in the water. While Theresa and I were in the Coral reef, Zena had to get a couple of complete strangers to help her out of her suit as she was stuck fast.

I’m not a good swimmer but I’m happy as long as I have a life vest on. Theresa and I went round the Coral reef which is amazing, I was just swimming across and a huge ray swam under me. I was able to reach out and touch it as it glided by so effortlessly while I was splashing about getting no-where fast.

Our dolphin swim was moved back from 12 to 1 O’clock as they were running late. Our dolphin was the alpha male, Lester and he is 40 years old, which is quiet old for a dolphin. He has lots of teeth missing which is why dolphins don’t live as long in the wild as they are unable to catch their own food without them.

Our group was on the side of the pool as both Zena and Mum didn’t want to do the deep water swim and would be able to do a shallow water tow from there.

The dolphin swim was far more moving then a grumpy old git like me thought it could ever be. It was awesome being so close and actually interacting with such a large and intelligent animal.

If you have done it you know what I mean. If you haven’t then you must. It’s one of those things that must be on your bucket list (Things to do before you kick it).

Theresa burnt her feet while she was taking loads of pictures for us during the swim.

After the swim we went for lunch which was from a range of dishes served cafeteria style. There were hot and cold drinks including beer.

After lunch we had a rest on our loungers before Theresa went off for a swim and I went off round the park with my camera.

As there were free snacks all day as well, I grabbed some bags of crisps and some drinks on my way back to the others.

The day had passed very quickly and we were reluctant to leave such a beautiful and relaxing place. We stopped off at the shops on the way out and bought a really nice silver charm for Maddie which is in the shape of the park’s symbol, someone swimming alongside a dolphin.

We went back to the condo and watched I am Legend on DVD while Theresa wrote up the Happy Book (our holiday diary).

We went out to the Golden Corral for tea but this wasn’t such a good idea as it was Saturday and the place was packed, the food was still good but the fact you had to watch out as the kids were armed with bowls of ice cream and weren’t afraid to use them made it a fairly un-relaxing meal.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Last edited by tony64; 06-03-2008 at 02:54 PM.
tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony64 View Post
the fact you had to watch out as the kids were armed with bowls of ice cream and weren’t afraid to use them made it a fairly un-relaxing meal.
thats a normal meal out for us !

Discovery cove sounds fab Tony. I loved swimming with dolphins and i would definatly do it again

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

It sounds like you all had a lovely, relaxing day Tony. I look forward to seeing your piccies

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

wow what an amazing day,I really hope I can convince DH to do this

your photos are great

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

Sounds like a perfect day, great pics

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Fab photos Tony

Who's this poseur ? Theresa, you look great

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful day , and something that I'd love to do, but I think it may be a bit cool to do in Feb

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Your great vacation seems to have gotten better with each new day. You were traveling with a fearless crew there, Tony. Pretty sassy pose, Theresa!
SusanEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

What a lovely day Tony and such a great experience

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

wondrful day had by all
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
tashasmum
DIS Veteran

Another great installment. We have DC booked for this years trip and this time all food and drink is included.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #12
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Lovely photos Tony

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #13
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great day Tony brought back some memories for me! Can't wait until the kids are old enough to do it again!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #14
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I plan on getting DC tickets for our next trip.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #15
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dolphin swim, it really is so magical, I would love to do it again some day. It's cool that all food is included now, when we did it only lunch was included.

Laur's
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: