Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

Portofino Suites

We have been to Universal many times and are Loews Platinum so we will be upgrading to a suite. It's been quite a few years since we stayed at Portofino. We reserved under a garden room but now I noticed our reservation says bay view. We have a suite with 2 queens and also have a second room with a king bed with the request to be near each other. Also asked to be on a low floor due to health reasons.

Does anyone know if this means we will have bay view rooms? Which suites are located bay view? We were upgraded to the Hospitality Suite years ago which was fantastic.

We will be there September 10-14. Hoping to be able to upgrade to Club at check-in. There were no suites available on Club when I decided that would be a good idea. Has anyone been able to upgrade to Club at check-in lately?

Thanks in advance.
crazy4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

The portofino suites are either a bay view or pool view so that's why it changed. It happens to us all the time.

If you have a 2 queen portofino suite and a extra king room then you are going to have the full portofino suite. It will be the 2 queen room and king room with the portofino parlor in the middle, one big suite with separating doors.

As for club there is no specific club flor at PBH. So you can add that privilege at checkin since the club lounge is off the lobby area.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

Thanks Bluer. We hope they give us the whole suite. Any chance that we would get a Villa Suite?

We couldn't book Club when I called stating there were no suites available for club which I thought was strange since Club is not a specific floor. Any idea what they charge these days to add on Club?

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4dis
Thanks Bluer. We hope they give us the whole suite. Any chance that we would get a Villa Suite?

We couldn't book Club when I called stating there were no suites available for club which I thought was strange since Club is not a specific floor. Any idea what they charge these days to add on Club?

Thanks again.
Usually it is $100 per night.the reason they wont add club till checkin is that it club rooms(not suites) are a bookable categry.if they have a full amt of bookings they wont offer it.this can happen when there are lg conventions or the resort has high number of booking.we saw this last summer.club bookings were high and they werent allowing people to add it at checkin.the lounge was packed all the time and often out of food
Old 08-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

Thanks. We are hoping to be able to upgrade since there still club rooms available and we will have our 10 month old grandson with us.

Anyone know where the villa suites are located? I thought the hospitality suites were in the villa wing in the garden area. We would love to have a frig and dining area.

I know RP so much better than PB but this will be a nice change.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Disneyhappy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Usually it is $100 per night.the reason they wont add club till checkin is that it club rooms(not suites) are a bookable categry.if they have a full amt of bookings they wont offer it.this can happen when there are lg conventions or the resort has high number of booking.we saw this last summer.club bookings were high and they werent allowing people to add it at checkin.the lounge was packed all the time and often out of food
Yikes! Now I'm worried. We are platinum members who book the suite and always add club at check-in. A couple of months ago, I called the front desk for something on our upcoming reservation for Labor Day weekend. I mentioned that we planned to add club at check-in and the TM said that he was going to note it on my reservation in the event club sells out. I just checked on-line and note that club rooms are indeed sold out. I wonder if the notation on my reservation will allow us to still add club at check-in. I should have just booked a club room instead of taking my upgrade. Ugh...

Disneyhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

I guess I will call back and have them note we would like to add Club. Great idea, thanks.

It's the first time we are not renting a car. I will be happy not to run back and forth from the airport picking up the kids. I arranged for Tony Hinds to pick everybody up. Just wish I knew if we could get club...it will change my grocery store stop.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

DisneyHappy,

Let me know if you are able to upgrade. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4dis View Post
We have been to Universal many times and are Loews Platinum so we will be upgrading to a suite. It's been quite a few years since we stayed at Portofino. We reserved under a garden room but now I noticed our reservation says bay view. We have a suite with 2 queens and also have a second room with a king bed with the request to be near each other. Also asked to be on a low floor due to health reasons.

Does anyone know if this means we will have bay view rooms? Which suites are located bay view? We were upgraded to the Hospitality Suite years ago which was fantastic.

We will be there September 10-14. Hoping to be able to upgrade to Club at check-in. There were no suites available on Club when I decided that would be a good idea. Has anyone been able to upgrade to Club at check-in lately?

Thanks in advance.
We are also Platinum, but have not been back for a few years.

When I made our reservation, I called Universal and they said there were no Portofino suites available (1/1 - 1/5) for upgrade. I actually called the YouFirst number and they called Universal, who then called the PBH, who then called me back and put our upgrade through.

Unless they have added more suites since we were there, there is one bay view Portofino suite, located in the west wing. It is on the bottom floor and it's patio door is close to the boat dock. Since you need a lower floor for health reasons, they may have blocked this suite for you.

If you have any questions, I would call the Portofino directly and ask to speak to the room manager. They have always been able to help us with room questions.

Your reservation would not show a club suites have deluxe rooms and those are the Villa suites. The platinum upgrade is just the Portofino suite which is a standard room with a parlor attached. Your reservation should show your standard rooms and then you should have a separate reservation for the Portofino Parlor, which would be your Platinum upgrade. If you don't see the parlor, I would call the PBH.
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4dis View Post
Thanks. We are hoping to be able to upgrade since there still club rooms available and we will have our 10 month old grandson with us.

Anyone know where the villa suites are located? I thought the hospitality suites were in the villa wing in the garden area. We would love to have a frig and dining area.

I know RP so much better than PB but this will be a nice change.
We have been upgraded to the Villa Suites a few times at check-in. Nice surprise when you are only expecting a Portofino suite. Upgrades really depend on the availability of the deluxe rooms. Since the deluxe rooms that flank the Villa parlor can be used as single rooms without the parlor, if the rooms are needed for paying guests, then the Villa suites are not available. But as I said, we have been upgraded to the Villa suite several times, so it is possible.

We have stayed in 4 of the Villa suites. The two best Villa Suites are on the top floor of the West Wing. The are the ones with the big balconies you see when you look up from the boat dock.

The other two we stayed in are in the the Villa wing, right around the corner from the club lounge, though on different floors. If you are standing on the Piazza, facing Trattoria, the Villa suites are directly to your left, the windows with the green shutters. They have exactly the same layout as the balcony ones, but these do not have the large balconies.
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
crazy4dis
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for all the great information. Can't wait!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: