Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Disney Vacation Club and Free Dining?

Does anyone know if guests at DVC during free dining, get the free dining plan?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

If you are using DVC points for the stay, NO.
If your reservations are through Disney paying cash, then yes you could get free dining if they still have rooms available with the promotion.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

"Free dining" is only available to guests booking room/tickets packages. DVC members are ineligible if they book with points.

If you were to book a DVC resort for cash payment, as part of a room/tickets package, through WDTC, then yes, you'd get free dining.

It is possibly a better deal for DVC members, who have already prepaid their rooms, to purchase the dining plan with a DVC reservation, which they may do through Member Services.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
It is possibly a better deal for DVC members, who have already prepaid their rooms, to purchase the dining plan with a DVC reservation, which they may do through Member Services.
Although "free dining" sounds nice, Nala is correct, you can get a better deal booking through DVC, if you own DVC. I did a lot of comparisons to decide if I should go during free dining and book a package through Disney or use my points and pay for the DDP. This is what I came up with:

I figured what my points are costing me, including annual dues. Each point has a current value of 6.39. If I went during free dining, it would have required 160 points. Therefore, my room "costs" would have been 1022.40. Add dining in at 743.76 and tickets in at 896.81 for a grand total of 2662.97.

If I booked the same (1 BR savanna view) through Disney with Free Dining, I would have to pay $4306.81. There is a significant savings using my points and paying for DDP - 1643.84! Granted, I could have booked a value or moderate and would have come out ahead but no way a deluxe or villa. As DH put it, we didn't purchase DVC to stay in value or moderate!

We decided that since it was in our best interest to use our points, we would wait until after free dining ended to go.

Seeing the above made me feel so much better about not be able to get the free dining. We can go when it's more convenient and save money
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

I stayed at a value once during free dining, and I have also stayed at a DVC resort on points during the same period and purchased the dining plan. I will stay DVC this year(my birthday's during free dining or I'd skip it altogether) but I am going to Victoria and Alberts, and they don't take the dining plan, so I won't be buying the plan.

With a cost comparison, using free dining with a value resort about breaks even in costs with using DVC points for a studio and purchasing the dining plan. Back when I did free dining you still got an appetizer and tips, so I'd have to include that change if I were to recalculate.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
annieh6
Mouseketeer

Talking

I was considering purchasing a rental from a DVC owner for the free dining period, but I am guessing that even if I pay cash to the owner, I still don't qualify?? Thanks for any input, the DVC's are new to me.
Annie

annieh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieh6 View Post
I was considering purchasing a rental from a DVC owner for the free dining period, but I am guessing that even if I pay cash to the owner, I still don't qualify?? Thanks for any input, the DVC's are new to me.
Annie
If you rent points from a member for a DVC reservation, you can have the member add the dining plan to your reservation, but you would be paying for it when you arrive.

Free dining has never been available with a DVC reservation made with points - anyone's points. To stay at a DVC resort with free dining, you'd have to be paying cash directly to Disney and making a package reservation, including tickets, through them.

Renters of points are often getting a substantial discount off the rack rate price of the DVC villa, which is what you'd be paying if you booked a free dining package, so once again, it could be more cost-effective to just purchase the plan with your point rental reservation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: