Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile Juvenile Diabetes and Mickey - 1st Trip!

Hi, I am brand spankin' new to these boards. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the info on here, so I thought I would do a pre trip report. I don't expect anyone to read this, I am just doing it to keep all my planning straight! Plus it's fun!
A little bit about us, it will be my 10th visit to the Mouse, my dh's 5th, oldest ds' 4th, second oldest ds' 3rd, youngest ds' 2nd and dd's 2nd. However it is our first trip having deal with juvenile diabetes.
My youngest ds (5) was diagnosed at the end of May. It was very scary and will go down as one of the worst moments of my life. We are coming out of the fog as he will be going on the insulin pump next week. It's still very stressful and I am learning new things every day about it.
When he was diagnosed he was in DKA, had strep throat and the flu. We were in the hospital for a week learning how to take care of him. Dh is type 2 diabetic, but he was an adult when he got it, Type 1 is a whole new ball game for us.
So at that time, I thought for sure our upcoming Disney trip would have to be canceled. But somehow, someway we are going to make it there.
Stay tuned, or not
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Going back in time to earlier this year. I was planning on "convincing" dh to go back to Disney World this fall. We have always gone in the fall, it's our time and our anniversary.
Anywhoo, we went two years ago it was a last minute trip. DH " we have xxxx amount of dollars to spend on vacation", me "we can easily do a cheap trip to disney for that". Voila we took all four kids to Disney- we spent the first two days at the Nick Hotel. Then we switched over to Port Orleans and spent the next two days at the Magic Kingdom and MGM (Disney Studios or whatever the new name is). Well, it just wasn't enough time for me. I missed going to all four parks and I knew it would be another two years until I could convince dh to go back.
Fast forward to this past spring and I was watching all the websites (allearsnet, mousesavers, mouseplanet- I had not discovered this site yet) for the free dining package to come out. Low and behold it showed up for Disney Visa cardholders (do NOT want one of those, too easily spent)so I had to wait for them to open it up to the general public.
The morning I saw it was open as predicted I got my butt on the phone. Busy, busy, busy. I was not too worried because last time I booked our September trip in July with no problems. But this time I wanted that free dining package, I could taste it!
Finally got through, booked Port Orleans again, since it is one of the few affordable places that can hold all of us.
Next time, when should we go and how do I convince dh this is a good thing?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

So I am learning, I see how everyone names the cast of characters in their pre trip/post trip reports with little icons. That is cute, I will have to figure out how to do that later.
Anyways, so I knew for sure September was our time to go. I booked the second week in (the sooner the better in my book) got all the dream ADR's that I wanted. Chef Mickey's for earliest dinner, Cinderella Breakfast first seating, etc.. (we are early people, forced to be with four kids). Then I looked at the school calendar. DRATS!
Now our school district has never given us a hard time about taking the kids out for vaka. In general my kids have not missed a lot of school for health issues (but now that my change with little man's diagnosis) but for now, I don't feel guilty pulling them out to go to WDW at a slower time of year. I am not putting this up for debate ( I have seen some heated debates out there on all ears net), it's just what works for our family.
So back to the school calendar, the week after our projected vaka, the kids would only have a 4 day week. So if we changed our vacation week to that week they would only miss 4 days of school, instead of 5!
Of course now it was a few days later and the free dining had been open for that long. Yikes, would I be able to get all my dining options that I wanted! And how would a family that is used to eating a lot of meals in their rooms (I am the queen of doing disney cheap) figure out 5 great places for ADR's?
Stay tuned, or not.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Okay should be doing this but typing out my plans is more fun!

I call Disney back and got the greatest cm, really sweet and helpful.

We changed our hotel week and now we will be there over our 9th anniversary. Cool!

Then on to the task of chaning our ADR's. Yikes, things filled up really fast. But basically I still got most of what I wanted. I really wanted to take the kids to Liberty Tree Tavern, but that puppy was booked solid. I spent many hours on the net and talking to my sister (the newly crowned queen of disney dining) and tried to figure out what days we would be where.
What a pain! In the past we had only done one character meal, so other than that our plans were always up in the air.

I was planning on us getting a three day park hopper plus the MNSSHP. I wasn't quite sure what our plans would be for the other day and half. Then dh sprung on me that the kids were dying to try out the Disney Waterparks last time. So I looked into the park hopper and more option. Sounded good for now, that way the kids could try out Disney Quest that they saw on one of those travel channel specials.

So our new package was in place, now should I change around the ADR's? Of course!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
muppetkaties
do you think they'd mind if i lived in Disney?

Hi!! Looking forward to reading more. My younger was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes when he was 11. Tha was 8 years ago and manages it really well. He has made a few trips to Disney since then and it really wasn't too big of a hassle. Hope I can help if you have any questions!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Hey Katie! Great to hear from someone who has been there. Like I said dh has been diabetic for almost 7 years. But he is an adult, takes care of himself and pretty much ds's diabetic care all falls on me. Not dh's fault, he works a lot of hours so that we can do fun things like going to Disney. But it is stressful!
My current breakdown of plans is :
Leave here on Saturday. We are driving, it will take us two days to get to the happiest place on earth. This will be our second time taking such a huge road trip with four kids. Last time went pretty well, so I guess that is why we are willing to do it again.
Also even with the price of gas, and stopping over in Georgia over night it's still cheaper than all six of flying and getting a rental car, etc..

Day two, get up relatively early and hopefully get into WDW by the late afternoon. Check into POR, swim, shower and head to downtown disney.
One of the things I learned on this board is that there is a boat that goes from POR to DD. So I know the kids will love that.
Next up Disney Quest.
I heard they have decent food there so we will try to eat there.
The boys can play their games while dd and I do some shopping. I really love
DD, I can't believe my sister spends hardly any time there.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
GoofyDoo
Missing Orlando...

Awesome report so far!! I'm subscribing! I will be wanting to talk to you later on about the free dining and all your dining choices. We are going with the family at the end of the month, but DH and I are going by ourselves not this fall, but next. I hope to get in on the free dining. I do have a Disney Visa, so I hope I get the notice!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

I'm back
Is it sick that I get excited seeing that some people are actually reading this? I am really am just doing it to keep the excitement of planning going on a big longer, but if you're reading, thanks!

So I think I left off with our first night in the world, spending it at Disney Quest.
Next morning wake up very early, we have one of the first seatings at Chef Mickey's for breakfast. I really wanted to start out our vacation with a Chef Mickey's meal since dd, or is Mickey crazy. I mean the best thing Disney Channel ever did (other than the HSM franchise, yea I am THAT geeky ), is make Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. It has made a whole new generation of Mickey lovers. Whereas, on other trips to Disney, in general seeing Mickey was not the character the kids most wanted to see, scandalous, I know! That honor would go to Buzz Lightyear, Sulley or Tigger.
Anyways, MMC is also the main reason I have been able to convince dh that another trip back to disney is a good thing. His little , has daddy wrapped around her little finger and when she literally lost her mind at the Disney Store "Daddy, did you see Mickey, there's Mickey ! Daddy, do you see Donald? There's Donald!" Getting excited seeing the figures on the ceiling, dh looked at me teary eyed and said "we have got to take this girl to WDW!".

Onward with our plans, I do sidetrack on tangents a lot , bare with me.

So with the dream free dining package, I planned on lots of character meals so that we would not have to waste time in the parks lining up for autographs and pictures. I am sure we will do some of that, but it won't be top priority!
Stay tuned, or not
Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Just wondering if anyone who has dealt with Juvenile Diabetes has told them at their ADR's that their child had JD? And for that matter, has anyone gotten the GAC ?? card for lines?
I saw some serious debating on another thread on here, so I am not looking for a debate- just advice from someone who has experience with this!
Katie- I know you said that your son's JD didn't affect your trips, but I am just wondering how it didn't! My dh's diabetes has always played a major factor on our trips (not hindering them but we have to make things like eating a certain time, making sure his blood sugar doesn't get too low, etc..) a major priority. Whereas in the past, I was just concerned with seeing as much of the parks as possible and food was definitely not a priority until someone was starving!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

So where was I?
Day 3: 1st official day in the World (not counting on the half day the night before).
Going to Chef Mickey's where 2 year old dd, and 5 year old ds with JD, will certainly lose their minds.
Next stop, one of the water parks!
So here's a question does anyone have a preference on the water parks, blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon? We have never been to either, and I am just wondering which one has more for little kids (where we should spend more time at)?
I hope the weather goes along with my plans, because I don't really want to use one of my park hopper days on Monday, it will screw up all my other ADR's!!
We are those people who like to get to the parks early, then head back to the room for naps/swimming/arcade games, etc.. for a few hours, then back to the theme park/waterpark after that.
So we will head to BB or TL after our breakfast. Stay there about 3 hours, then back to the room. Now I have to check the water park hours during September because if they are only open to 5- we may have to stay there longer in the morning! UGH, off to do that..

Last edited by mairhiggs6; 07-12-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Okay so both waterparks are open 10-5 on that Monday. So most likely we will try to stay as long as possible (maybe can hold off for a late nap), doubtful since we have such an early seating at Chef Mickey's. Worst come to worst I can leave with her and go back to POR.
So Day 3- spend most of the day at one of the waterparks. Then if we aren't too tired go to Fort Wilderness for the Campfire Sing-along. It sounds like it would be fun, and it's free!
Maybe even catch the electrical water pageant (I have never seen this) before heading back to our room.

Day 4- another early ADR at Ohana's. I can't wait to eat there. My very first disney trip back in the late 70's (I think) we stayed at the Polynesian. My parents did not have a lot of money, so I wonder how they could afford to stay there! I was very young, so I don't remember anything about this place but it will be neat to take the kids there. Plus I am excited to go to a character breakfast with some different characters. Why is it they offer so little variety on the characters at these breakfasts? Would it kill Disney to mix things up? Back when the movie Aladdin first came out, I was at Disney with my niece and we went to an Aladdin breakfast. I believe it was in the building that now houses the Playhouse Disney show. But still, how cool would it be for them to have meals to help advertise the latest movie coming out, in this case a Wall-E meal? Or how about a meal with the Incredibles or the biggest stars of them all, the Toy Story characters? Oh well, rant over.

After Ohana's we will be heading to TL or BB (whichever one we didn't visit on Mon) for a few hours. Then back to the room to rest up for MNSSHP! This is what I am most excited about, I have always wanted to go to that Halloween party! Plus I love the fact that you can get in at 4pm, I don't have to waste a day of my park hopper pass, since we will basically have 8 hours in MK if we so choose!

Hopefully a fun filled night at MK, I plan on sleeping in a bit on Wednesday.

Day5- We have lunch reservations today, so no need to get up too early. But knowing me and my kids we will probably be up early anyways. So the plan will be to try to get to Disney Studios by our lunch ADR. Our lunch reservations are at Sci Fi, which I think the boys will get a kick out of! I haven't been there since I went with my sister's family and I was in college.

I really love Disney Studios. We gotta catch the Playhouse Disney show, Little Mermaid, R&R Coaster, Tower of Terror (if I can convince any of the kids to go), Great Movie Ride, Muppets 3D and the new Pixar parade. I also love Fantasmic, so maybe we can try to stay for it too. I will have to check out all the parade times too. But I am hoping if we get a late start on this day, that will be okay without a nap.

Next up Day 6 and making a not so little princesses disney dream come true!!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Okay so both waterparks are open 10-5 on that Monday. So most likely we will try to stay as long as possible (maybe can hold off for a late nap), doubtful since we have such an early seating at Chef Mickey's. Worst come to worst I can leave with her and go back to POR.
So Day 3- spend most of the day at one of the waterparks. Then if we aren't too tired go to Fort Wilderness for the Campfire Sing-along. It sounds like it would be fun, and it's free!
Maybe even catch the electrical water pageant (I have never seen this) before heading back to our room.

Day 4- another early ADR at Ohana's. I can't wait to eat there. My very first disney trip back in the late 70's (I think) we stayed at the Polynesian. My parents did not have a lot of money, so I wonder how they could afford to stay there! I was very young, so I don't remember anything about this place but it will be neat to take the kids there. Plus I am excited to go to a character breakfast with some different characters. Why is it they offer so little variety on the characters at these breakfasts? Would it kill Disney to mix things up? Back when the movie Aladdin first came out, I was at Disney with my niece and we went to an Aladdin breakfast. I believe it was in the building that now houses the Playhouse Disney show. But still, how cool would it be for them to have meals to help advertise the latest movie coming out, in this case a Wall-E meal? Or how about a meal with the Incredibles or the biggest stars of them all, the Toy Story characters? Oh well, rant over.

After Ohana's we will be heading to TL or BB (whichever one we didn't visit on Mon) for a few hours. Then back to the room to rest up for MNSSHP!
This is what I am most excited about, I have always wanted to go to that Halloween party! Plus I love the fact that you can get in at 4pm, I don't have to waste a day of my park hopper pass, since we will basically have 8 hours in MK if we so choose!

Hopefully a fun filled night at MK, I plan on sleeping in a bit on Wednesday.

Day5-Dh and I will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary! We have lunch reservations today, so no need to get up too early. But knowing me and my kids we will probably be up early anyways. So the plan will be to try to get to Disney Studios by our lunch ADR. Our lunch reservations are at Sci Fi, which I think the boys will get a kick out of! I haven't been there since I went with my sister's family and I was in college.

I really love Disney Studios. We gotta catch the Playhouse Disney show, Little Mermaid, R&R Coaster, Tower of Terror (if I can convince any of the kids to go), Great Movie Ride, Muppets 3D and the new Pixar parade. I also love Fantasmic, so maybe we can try to stay for it too. I will have to check out all the parade times too. But I am hoping if we get a late start on this day, that will be okay without a nap.

Next up Day 6 and making a not so little princesses disney dream come true!!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Don't know why my last post, double posted- oh well!
Day 6- Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast! We have a pretty early seating, I am so excited for this! On our first trip with oldest ds, , there's not really a good character for him- but has been known to have a temper- so Donald it is!
Anyways, on our first trip with kids, I was pregnant with my second child. This trip we took simultaneously with one of my best friend's family- but I didn't want to meet up too much. I wanted to Disney my way, and it actually worked out for the best without hurting her feelings . We were at the castle that morning for early entry waiting for the rope drop. We saw all little princesses going into the castle, all dressed up - it was so cute. My friend's dad was with her and he said well maybe you've got your princess there (pointing to my belly) - I later had my ds and then had ( for our first two disney trips as a family I was always pregnant! It became a running joke with my family that whenever I start planning a disney trip I get pregnant!!) .
I was thinking I'd never get to Cinderella's castle with my own princess, so I thought I'd just take my 3 princes there. But then low and behold I got my own ! And now she is old enough to enjoy going to the castle for breakfast. I cannot wait!

I think we will spend the morning at MK, it it doesn't get too crowded. Otherwise we will head over to AK for a few hours. Dh is not fond of AK and really doesn't feel like we should spend any time there. But I know my big boys are dying to go on EE and I would like to go on the Kali River Rapids. So we will end up there at some point.

Then go back to the room, take our break, eat lunch , etc..

I am planning on heading over to Epcot for the late afternoon evening. I haven't seen Illuminations in many years, so perhaps we will stay for that.

Then comes our last full day at WDW, so sad, so sad.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

Don't know why my last post, double posted- oh well!
Day 6- Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast! We have a pretty early seating, I am so excited for this! On our first trip with oldest ds, , there's not really a good character for him- but has been known to have a temper- so Donald it is!
Anyways, on our first trip with kids, I was pregnant with my second child. This trip we took simultaneously with one of my best friend's family- but I didn't want to meet up too much. I wanted to Disney my way, and it actually worked out for the best without hurting her feelings . We were at the castle that morning for early entry waiting for the rope drop. We saw all little princesses going into the castle, all dressed up - it was so cute. My friend's dad was with her and he said well maybe you've got your princess there (pointing to my belly) - I later had my ds and then had ( for our first two disney trips as a family I was always pregnant! It became a running joke with my family that whenever I start planning a disney trip I get pregnant!!) .
I was thinking I'd never get to Cinderella's castle with my own princess, so I thought I'd just take my 3 princes there. But then low and behold I got my own ! And now she is old enough to enjoy going to the castle for breakfast. I cannot wait!

I think we will spend the morning at MK, it it doesn't get too crowded. Otherwise we will head over to AK for a few hours. Dh is not fond of AK and really doesn't feel like we should spend any time there. But I know my big boys are dying to go on EE and I would like to go on the Kali River Rapids. So we will end up there at some point.

Then go back to the room, take our break, eat lunch , etc..

I am planning on heading over to Epcot for the late afternoon evening. I haven't seen Illuminations in many years, so perhaps we will stay for that.

Then comes our last full day at WDW, so sad, so sad.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
mairhiggs6
Earning My Ears

Smile

More double posting, not sure what I am doing wrong!

Anyways, on to our last full day in the world.
This day will be the day we go back to our favorites. I am actually bummed that there is a MNSSHP that night, because I really love ending our trip staying at MK till close.
But I figured that the Tuesday night party would be less crowded than the Friday night party, hope I am not wrong!

We have a lunch ADR at the Crystal Palace so we will definitely be at MK then. I should mention that this is one of my ADR's that I don't mind changing. I really like Crystal Palace and the Pooh characters- but it's not top priority. So if something happens and the waterparks are closed on Monday, this would be my interchangeable day. But I would hate to not end the vacation at the theme parks, so I doubt that will happen!

After that who knows! Maybe end our stay watching Fantasmic or Illuminations if we haven't already done one of those. I kinda like not having definite plans, but it will all depend on how much we were able to get done on the other two days and what the kids really loved. I plan on hightailing it out of MK though way before the party crowd starts showing up!

Then Saturday we will check out and start on our two day trip home. I am sure I will be depressed! One of these days we will move to Florida and then I will just work there!

So those are our tenative plans. I have a big payment due at the end of the month, so hopefully I won't have to change anything.

Stay tuned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: