Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
foxykendra
Mouseketeer

Disneyland with a 5 year old and a 3 year old...need suggestions!

So, we are going on our first family trip to Disneyland in early October. My daughter is five, and my son is three. I can hardly wait for our trip, but I realized that I have never actually been to Disneyland with children before (!)

I thought we'd try to start off with an overview-type ride (the train?) so that they could get a sense for what Disneyland is all about, but beyond that, I haven't a clue.

Any suggestions for what we should (or should NOT) do?

Thanks!

Last edited by foxykendra; 05-27-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add an important word ("need")
foxykendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
mo3bys
Mouseketeer

When we went with our kids we started off with a Character meal at Goofy's kitchen. It helped break the ice with the characters. It also helped them to meet some of the characters early and we didn't have to wait in the lines to see them. We also paid the extra $5.00 per kid and had their 'unbirthdays' there and they received little goodie bags and a cupcake. It made their day

October 2014 Paradise Pier - Family vacation
December 2012 Paradise Pier-Family Vacation
October 2008 Disneyland Hotel-Family vacation
May/June 2008 Ramada Inn Maingate--Anniversary Trip
December 2007 Paradise Pier--Family Vacation
December 2005 BWPPI--Family Vacation
mo3bys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
lisadoll93
DIS Veteran

My kids like DCA. They enjoy Minnie and friends breakfast. My advice bring a stroller, relax, take breaks, bring snacks.

View you tube, it will give them an idea.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Princesses3_bythesea
Earning My Ears

I'd say to be sure to plan for a nap/swim back at the hotel each afternoon...when the day is at it's hottest and you've made it through a morning of excited running around...it's nice to recharge before evening. Not to mention it's a good stratedgy to avoid meltdowns in the evening.

Make sure the kids know that this is the plan up front though, otherwise it can be tough to drag kids all hyped up on Mickey away from the park.
Princesses3_bythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

We are also going in October, and my youngest 2 kids will also be 3 and 5. I second the character breakfasts, although we never start with them. But since this is their first trip, I assume, that wouldnt be a bad idea. The DLRR is a good idea too, that way they can see the park and you can talk about it to them before you guys really get started. The monorail would be a good option too, if it is open. I will give you a list of some of my 2 little ones faves:

In DCA:
Anything in Bugs Land
Monsters Inc.
Soarin Over California (the 3 yo will most likely be too small)
Redwood Trails

In DL: (this list is quite longer):
Dumbo (the little ones fav!!)
Casey Jr.
Buzz
Autopia
Its A Small World (we still be closed though)
Mad Tea Cups
Storybookland Canal (I recommend riding at dusk or just after so the sun is not blazing down on you guys and you can see the houses all light up!!)
Mr. Toad
Jungle Cruise (3 yo may be frightened by the noise)
Peter Pan
Snow White
Pinocchio
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Winnie the Pooh
Meet Mickey and Friends in Toontown

Suggestions to skip:
Nemo!!! My kids hate it. You are very squished, it is dark, some loud noises, and things (fish,etc.) suddenly appear in your little window! Both my little guys cried the whole time!!

Oh! And dont miss the parades or fireworks. My kids especially love the Electrical Light Parade in DCA, dont know if it will be operating when you are there though.

HTH!
PM me if you have anymore questions. My kids and I would love to answer!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

I would just add:

King Arthur Carrousel
Alice in Wonderland
Gadget's Go Coaster
Mark Twain Riverboat

In DCA:
King Triton's Carousel
Muppet*Vision 3-D
Playhouse Disney - Live On Stage

Many young ones really love Autopia!

You might be surprised, but half way through your trip DD5 might be ready for the Matterhorn and Space Mountain.

For young ones, I would probably not recommend Star Tours.

HTH

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Everyone has posted great suggestions for a 5 and 3yo.
My suggestion would be to get the kids excited and familiar with the rides BEFORE you go...(if it's not a surprise)
Watch Disney movies so they are familiar with the characters and story lines...
Order a planning DVD and watch it together, it has great clips of the rides/parks...
Get some planning books from the library or bookstore...
Go on the Disneyland website and show them the attractions, etc.
Watch the old "Disneyland Fun" sing along videotape or DVD (this really gives a great overview even though it is somewhat outdated!)
Ask someone to send you maps of the parks, and let the kids look at them, give input as to what they want to do...

This way, they are a little familiar with the rides, parks and attractions, and they are not overwhelmed by them. When they become a little familiar, the excitement builds and they feel like they have a part in the magic...

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
foxykendra
Mouseketeer

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
foxykendra
Mouseketeer

I do have one question. I have to preface this by saying that it's been over six years since I've been to Disneyland (gasp!)...so I do not remember everything with great clarity (double gasp!!).

I don't remember Star Tours being very scary, but someone mentioned that I should stay away from it with little kids...? I believe you but I am wondering if anyone can share their experience (good or bad) on Star Tours with kids.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
letthembelittle
Mouseketeer

We just took our 3 yr old and 1 yr old. I would say their favorite things were: meeting the characters, the Dumbo ride, the parades, the Playhouse Disney on stage show, and the Casey Jr train. I would bring lots of snacks and water and a stroller to store it all in. I would recommend watching the rides on YouTube to see what is a must do for you guys. Good luck and have a great trip!
We have spent one magical day in the parks in 2008 with our 3 yr old and 1 yr old, then in 2009 we bought APs and took 4 trips (Nov 2009, April 2010, Sept 2010 (just dh + me), and Nov 2010) with our three kids, now we have added another little one to the family and have a trip planned for Nov 2013.
letthembelittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
hungrybunnies
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykendra View Post
I don't remember Star Tours being very scary, but someone mentioned that I should stay away from it with little kids...? I believe you but I am wondering if anyone can share their experience (good or bad) on Star Tours with kids.

Last year, my DS who was 4 1/2 went on it at WDW and loved it. He is really into Star Wars thanks to his older brother. The only problem we encountered was the 40" min height requirement. DS was just at the 40" mark. He was able to go on it once and when we tried again later in the day, he was under the 40". Same thing happened on BTMR. He was tall enough when we picked up our FP but by the time it came our time to ride, he was too short. He did manage a ride on Splash Mountain when we was on the tall side. It's funny my DS liked the thrill rides but he is afraid of the Haunted Mansion. I'm hope we don't have problems with the 42" min height rides when go to DLR in July.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
tortugaverde

Even the stationary seats terrified me

We took our 3 and 5 year old over spring break The love it!

My suggestions,
We loved Nemo! It was our longest wait (45 min) but they loved it! They still talk about it almost every day! I guess it depends on the kid.

Talk them through all the rides before hand. It had been a while since I had been there as well, so my memory was not exact. I just said things like "first, we will get in a seat. They will put a bar down on our lap to keep us safe. Then we will go in a dark room. Nothing will touch you but we will see Peter Pan (or whomever )." During the ride I could tell what was coming up next and I would tell them before hand. This eased any fears they had and they really enjoyed all the rides.

I recommend you NOT go to the Its Tough to be a Bug show. Before I began doing the advice I gave you above... we went to this "cute bug show" (as my mother in law called it). I had never seen it before and had no idea what to expect. I did not walk the kids through what was happening... and when the giant grasshopper came to life I had two very hysterical kids climbing up my body. I tried to calm then, but spiders dropped from the ceiling and we quickly left (as my mother in law was saying... "oh, are they upset?" ).

Use a stroller. Bring two!!!

Lots of snacks

Stop by city hall and get a "First time at DL" button.

Go to the Tiki room (just make sure you tell them about the storm!)

Ride Winnie the Pooh and most every thing in Fantasyland (aside from Snow White and Toads Wild ride).

The Jungle Cruise was also a big hit with my kids.

Do a character meal

Take naps... LONG naps, lol.

Thats all I can think of for now, I might be back
Liam
tortugaverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykendra View Post
... I don't remember Star Tours being very scary, but someone mentioned that I should stay away from it with little kids...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. S. Columbia View Post
... You might be surprised, but half way through your trip DD5 might be ready for the Matterhorn and Space Mountain.

For young ones, I would probably not recommend Star Tours. ...
Star Tours really isn't scary, but it can be a little bit rough. I know some adults who don't ride Star Tours.

I could have worded that better. I was mainly trying to say that I would definitely recommend the Matterhorn and Space Mountain.

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
toyota
Mouseketeer

We just got back from DL trip with our DD4 (her first trip). We learned:

1) They need plenty of sleep at night. We had to make a choice between early entry (7am on the days we went), and night time activities. She had to get 9 hours sleep. (Early entry won out).

2) As others have said, take a break midday for rest/swim/nap.

3) Take plenty of snacks and drinks with you into the parks.

Our dd measured about 41 inches, so she was able to go on (and thoroughly enjoyed) space mtn. (her fave), and splash mtn.

She also really liked Jungle Cruise, Autopia, Casey Jr., Toon town attractions, Tiki Room, Main st. vehicles- horse-drawn trolley and double decker bus, and the rail road. The Mark Twain riverboat is a good thing to do with kids.

The character meals save you time (no waiting in the character lines) and provide alot of interaction. Ariels Princess Celebration was great (interaction and food- breakfast). We also enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen, and I'm pretty sure it's the only one with characters at dinner. Don't quote me.

Have fun!

Starting to plan another trip!!!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 AM   #15
bonita_babe232
Someone tell me something cute to say
i need my disney fix!

I think it depends on the child... When we went with my 3 yr old last year he did everything he could... he just couldn't do indy, grizzly river run and screaming, but he wanted to!!! But he loved all the ones he could doo!!!!!!!!!!! he did space mountain, starwars and runaway train TONS of times!!! I think it just depends on the kids... I took my 1 yr old on all the rides he could go on and he just looked around didn't get scared or anything but hes more laid back then his big brother ( the thrill taker) so i will see how he does with the big rides when we go next year.... I agree with most of the rides everyone else said, i would just judge how he likes the other rides as to do the big ones... You know your kids best and what they would/wouldn't like!!! Have a great trip!!!!
bonita_babe232 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: