Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Papa Deuce
BBQ loving, fantasy football playin,' DJ.

What is the DUMBEST / WORST HOA rule you have ever heard of?

My wife lived in a development where she could only decorate her Christmas tree in white lights if it could be seen from the street.

See, that only make me want to put up colored lights.... lots and lots and lots, and lots of colored lights....

I have never lived in, and never will live in a home that has a HOA, so tell me, are these rules just decided by a few people on the board, or does every single homeowner get to vote? Are these rules made by simple majority? 2/3 of the people? 3/4 of the people?

If I want pink flamingos on my lawn, I'm putting pink flamingos on my lawn --- not that I want them....

ETA... BTW, what happens if you don't comply? Do they fine you? What if the person getting fined refuses to pay? Does it go to court?

Last edited by Papa Deuce; 05-22-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Papa Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

No balloons on the mailbox for a birthday party

STUPID!!!!!
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
KelNottAt

DVC BWV Member
The only person known to actually love the color ORANGE

No clothes lines is a pretty common one. I think they're considered eye sores.

I think the "green" movement is getting enough steam these days that that rule might start to fade away.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
CharityLynn
DIS Veteran

we couldn't have patterned curtains in the windows..I remember that one because my son's room was Nemo and we couldn't use the nemo curtains...it seems like there were other strange ones too.
Beach Club Villas 10/07
Bay Lake Tower 10/10
Beach Club Villas 10/14
CharityLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Papa Deuce
BBQ loving, fantasy football playin,' DJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelhalo View Post
No balloons on the mailbox for a birthday party

STUPID!!!!!
Maybe they would prefer a clown with a welcome sign walking around in the streets?

Papa Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
CharityLynn
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure there was one about BBQ grills on balconys too..somethign about safety, I guess they want you to use your BBQ Grill indoors...
Beach Club Villas 10/07
Bay Lake Tower 10/10
Beach Club Villas 10/14
CharityLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
AmberDaClown
DIS Veteran

The lawn had to be within a certain shade on a color strip when we lived in Colorado. This was during a drought.

We were not allowed to keep our rotating light up inflatable dredel after Chanukah.
AmberDaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

We have a pretty strict HOA here. If you are in serious violation of one of the covenants (which you are given a copy of before you move in-its almost as big as a phone book!) they can fine you..if you don't pay, they can put a lien on your house. I am thankful for most of the rules. There is a lady that drives around ( I saw her once) in a van marked "Architechtural Inspectors" and she writes up violations and sends them to the HOA. Our neighbor was written up because their front door needed to be painted/stained. We are waiting for that letter, ours is in desperate need.

No signs/flags of any kind on property. No yard sales..

The silliest covenants I can think of are that no toys/bikes/kids stuff is supposed to be on the front lawn. We have never complied with that rule, and have never been written up for it..Also- that your garage door is supposed to be closed when you don't need it open for a reason.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

No, I don't think it's common for a few people on a board to make new rules. We knew what the rules were when we moved into our neighborhood. Anything added to the covenants takes, I think, a 3/4 of the membership vote.

Ours doesn't have anything too outlandish -- no clotheslines, no garbage cans stored visible from the street, approval required for adding structures in the front or painting a different color, no RVs/boats in the driveway, etc.. There are rules about basketball goals in the streets and cars parked overnight in the street that aren't really followed.

Our neighborhood is about 14 years old and there have been two HOA rules changes -- the small satelite dishes are now allowed and dues go up based on an inflation average that so far has yielded an increase totaling less than $20 per year.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
agentpleakley
That would be a misuse of galatic resources.
sometimes a fart is just a fart

We don't have any strange ones per se - but administration of the rules & money is left in the hands of 4 idiots - who felt that it was a better idea to install a $35,000 swing set (that is only suitable for children under 5) and to do away with security (despite a significant increase in thefts, trespass, and vandalism). Their decisions on approvals (I think you even have to ask their approval if you want to take a "you know") is totally arbitrary and dependent on who you are. -- The arbitrariness has yet to apply to me - but I've seen it in action, in case you are wondering.

To enact a new rule - 2/3 vote is required of thos present at annual meetings. Since most people don't go - the board gets their way.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
Walt Disney
agentpleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

Quote:
no RVs/boats in the driveway
There's be nowhere to live if that were a popular rule in FL. Every other house in our neighborhood has one next to their driveway
Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
TnTsParty
DIS Veteran

I don't live in a HOA and most likely never will (I just don't like people telling me what I can and can't do with a house I own) but there are rules that the city has that are enforced by code enforcement. One of those is no RVs or boats in front of the front peak of the house (meaning they have to be kept either on the side of the house or in the back - not in the driveway) I personally don't like people keeping their boat/RV in the driveway - why would they want to hide their house like that.

But then again the city doesn't do all that well with enforcing the rules - most of the time people get violations is when someone calls to compain or there is other construction in the neighborhood and therefore code enforcement is around more often.
Disney Races ~ TOT 13k 2007~1:36:12 ~ Minnie 15k 2008~1:49:39 ~ EEC w/DH ~ Disney 26.2 Marathon 2009~5:44:28 ~ Princess 1/2 Marathon ~2:32:15 ~ 2010 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge~1/2 Marathon 2:54:27~Full Marathon 6:02:48 ~ 2011 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge #2 ~1/2 Marathon 2:44:18~Full Marathon 5:46:54

Missing my BEST Brother in Law ~ Erik 04/30/1971~04/30/2009 ~ you're in our thoughts EVERYDAY

Last edited by TnTsParty; 05-22-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added about city not doing much to enforce rules
TnTsParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
ilisao
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaClown View Post
The lawn had to be within a certain shade on a color strip when we lived in Colorado. This was during a drought.

We were not allowed to keep our rotating light up inflatable dredel after Chanukah.
OMG! You have a rotating light up inflatable dreidel? Seriously? No joke? If so, where did you get it?

I am Jewish and I want one.
ilisao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Cup Cake
I've got gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelNottAt View Post
No clothes lines is a pretty common one. I think they're considered eye sores.

I think the "green" movement is getting enough steam these days that that rule might start to fade away.
I would love to have a clothes line, but we're not allowed to. Maybe I'll just put one up and see what happens. Gotta go green.
Cup Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
Brianne
Don't get me started on the flamingos with santa hats
I'm a dash kinda gal. I'm sorry - No, I'm not sorry - Viva la dashes!

We're not allowed to have above-ground pools, although I'm not sure why. It stinks because it's not like we have $30k just lying around to have a pool put in right now!

Oh well.

---Bree (only my mother calls me Brianne )

Disney Addicted Mom Of Four:

Sam Lexi Milo
Brianne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: