Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

Curious about others thoughts on the "Fairness" of the ADR system

I don't mean to stir any pots or anything...I'm just curious how others feel about the ADR process.

I started thinking about this as I was helping friends plan for their first trip.

They were somewhat surprised about the need to make ADRs this far out and were a bit overwhelmed about having to determine where they wanted to eat each night on their trip.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that might not be aware of how difficult it can be to have a sit down dinner if you don't have ADRs. I've been turned away (or seen others turned away) before at various places being told we can't seat you unless you have an ADR. So i'm a bit obsessive of making ADRs for each night to the annoyance of my "fly by the seat of his pants" DH

I know a lot of people "in the know" make multiple ADRs for different places each night with the expectation of canceling (or not) based on what they want to do that night.

As more people use this Multiple ADR strategy to keep flexible, do you think Disney will start to limit the ability to do that? In order to open up TS opportunities for just the non-obsessive planning average visitor?

Just curious how others felt about it?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
tlhbdm
1354.40 miles away from the mouse

I personally think it will stay the same. There are certain restaurants that DH and I HAVE to go to and we make our ADRs 180 days in advance(except for our upcoming free dining trip that we booked 140 days out.) I'm not sure what to say about not knowing you should book 180 days out, the only reason I know is because I have been an obsesive planner since age 7 so I knew from my parents. Also in all of the guide books and even on Disneyworld.com they say they recommend you making dining reservations 180 days out.

I also don't want to start a ruckis(sp?) I am just stating my opinion.
1992-Carribean Beach, 1993-POFQ, 1996-POFQ, 2001-POFQ, 2002-POR , 2005-Cornado Springs , 2006-Pop Century , May 2007-Pop Century, , December 2007-Contemporary, 2009-SSR, 2010-WLV, 2011-WLV , 2013-POR & Off-site, 2014-WL

Me(25) DH(26)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Thumbs up

I can't imagine a system that is more fair than the current one. Whoever calls first gets the reservation.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOS View Post

I know a lot of people "in the know" make multiple ADRs for different places each night with the expectation of canceling (or not) based on what they want to do that night.

As more people use this Multiple ADR strategy to keep flexible, do you think Disney will start to limit the ability to do that? In order to open up TS opportunities for just the non-obsessive planning average visitor?

Do you mean people make multiple ADRs for different places on the SAME night? If so, my understanding is that Disney is already cracking down on this in that they will cancel out ADRs if you book 2 different TS for the same meal.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
heatherlynn444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
Do you mean people make multiple ADRs for different places on the SAME night? If so, my understanding is that Disney is already cracking down on this in that they will cancel out ADRs if you book 2 different TS for the same meal.
that was my understanding as well.

we changed our ressies to a week earlier, and made sure we cancelled all of our previous ADR's. I think this is what causes part of teh problem. ppl move their trip and then do not bother to cancel their first set of ADrs. so no one shows up for the meal, while some other family is turned away b/c the restaurant is "full"

Ft. WIlderness 89'~POR '95~Poly '97~GF RPC '03~GF RPC '07~AKL '07~GF RPC '08~CSR '09~ GF RPC May and July '09~Poly '10~BWI CL '10~POR and DCL '10~WL CL '10~GF RPC '10~WL CL/GF RPC '11~Poly CL/Dream double dip '11~ GF RPC Sept '11~GF RPC Feb '12~YC March '12~GF RPC April '12~DCL 5 night Magic May '12~GF RPC May '12~DisneyLand GCA and 1/2 harathon sept. '12~7 night on the Magic Oct. '12~Yacht Club Jan '13~Beach Club Jan '13~AKL Feb '13~Fantasy western April '13
Dec. AKL Dining Report
Sept. Deluxe dining report
June 2010 DCL Double Dip TR
Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Currently, you do have to call at 180 days out for the popular places. But this is what we do and we actually like it. We go to the non popular places. We go to the resort restaurants. And we've had great meals.

On mouseplanet, there was an article about what someone else would do to "fix" Disney World. One suggestion dealt with dining reservations. Changing them to 60 days out. And tied into your resort reservations (they currently aren't). So if you make multiple reservations for around the same time on the same day, one or more would get canceled (I'd like all of them to be canceled but that's me). For off site guests, the reservation would need a credit card number to be assigned. And a fee charged if you don't cancel or show up.

We don't know what park we're going to be at every day. But we have always been able to get a reservation at wherever we are going to be that day. Just not at the popular ones. No biggy for us.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Not to sound mean or step on any toes...but I think the system is totally fair.I do understand that new visitors are not aware about the necessity of ressies and all, but if you are paying $1000+ to come to Disney it may be prudent to actually do a little research.Most people research any major purchase.Why should a vacation be different?As for making multiple ressies, disney has been cracking down on this.yes many people still do it and get away with it.but there are people who have had theirs cancelled on them.IS it a pain to have to decide where to eat 6mos in advance? Maybe.but i would rather make a ressie,to have something.I can always call disney dining each morning of my trip to find something else if I choose.I think many people who have never been to WDW think of it like any other themepark and it isn't and does not work the way other themeparks do, and then they are shocked when they get there.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
tlhbdm
1354.40 miles away from the mouse

Just a couple of years ago it was 90 days in advance so I am glad they changed it to 180 days because now you have time to change things around if need be.

Also when I made my ADRs on the phone about a month ago the atomated system asked for my reservation number but the guy I talked to said it didn't matter. I too think they should enforce a reservation rule, because what if someone decides they are going to go to WDW and makes ADRs and hasn't actually booked a reservation yet and then they decide not to go and probably won't think of canceling their ADRs. ( I really don't think that makes sense but it does in my head).
1992-Carribean Beach, 1993-POFQ, 1996-POFQ, 2001-POFQ, 2002-POR , 2005-Cornado Springs , 2006-Pop Century , May 2007-Pop Century, , December 2007-Contemporary, 2009-SSR, 2010-WLV, 2011-WLV , 2013-POR & Off-site, 2014-WL

Me(25) DH(26)
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
thegrimdwarf
DIS Veteran

I can't say that I feel it's unfair - I mean, anyone can call, and those that call first get what they want. That said, I think it TOTALLY STINKS that you need to figure out where you want to eat 6 months in advance. It was a total downer. In my opinion, Disney should only book half the restaurant capacity to allow for 50% walk-up, but given Disney is all about the bottom line, that will never happen.

Tackling the World with my husband, Godzilla and Kong in October '08!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

I think the ADR system is very fair - first come, first served. It's just that with the popularity of the dining plans, the demand for seating at TS restaurants has really gone up so if there's somewhere you really want to go, you've got to plan ahead. That said, I've made ADRs in as little as two months and with the exception of LeCellier (couldn't get that at 180 days out), I've always gotten the ADR's I wanted.

The real problem I have is with guests making multiple ADRs. I know there is a lot of disagreement on the boards over this practice but I think that it's so selfish and rude of people to do this just so they can have their bases covered. I'm glad Disney is cracking down on it and I hope they continue.

IMO, as more and more people are turned away from TS and Disney finds more and more multiple ADRs being made, they are going to start requiring credit cards when booking ADRs and charging cancellations fees and what is currently a good and fair system is going to become a real headache for everyone.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
So this is what I meant by Unfair..The ability to make reservations all over the place for the same night/same time. I didn't know they were cracking down on that. This is good news and will help make sure that certain restaurants aren't just looking booked solid on paper and they turn people away.

I do wish they would hold a few number of tables open for walk-ups so your vacation does not need to feel so regimented.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
asmit4
DIS Veteran

I like the current system but feel that charging for 'no shows' in some way would be good. IMO- a 10 or 20 dollar fee would detract many from trying to double book. (allthough- I've read that they have cracked down on this somehow in their system already without charging).

The reality is that the parks are huge, with lots of people. There are only so many seats to go around. The library/borders has 100's, even 1000's of books on DW for a reason. IMO- DW is not a place you just 'show up' like six flags. You should research and if you don't, that's your loss.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
asmit4
DIS Veteran

1 more problem with cancelling ADRs for those that try to book 2. Let's say I go with my sister who lives in FL. I book for 2 adults under 'ashley'-I tell them I'm staying at POP. Then my sister calls, books under 'susan'. She books for 2 people and claims she is 'local' and not staying on site.

NOW we have 2 ADRs for the same meal and they can't prove it. I would never do this but the reality is that LOTS of people DO do this and they think it's ok to do so, either that or they just don't care.

In order to truly stop people you have to charge a fee IMO.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Wow, I had no idea people would double book ADR's. I'm sorry but that seems really rude. We too saw people turned away for TS meals and I felt badly for them, especially when they had little ones. It's not fair to book 2 dinners on the same night, fully intending on only choosing one. I'm surprised people would do that. When I made my ADR's last week, the CM first asked for my reservation number and then asked my phone number. Well, I hope Disney does crack down on this practice, just seems unfair especially for those at Disney trying to get a TS meal. My 2 cents worth....
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
WDisnut
Mouseketeer

It should be 30 to 60 out not 180+. I called the day Free dining was allowed and I could only get lunch time for LE cellier for a whole week.

There is really no way to stop multiple ADRS but there should be! There will always be a way around whatever they make! There will always be people who care more about their vacation than Fairness.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: