Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > In Memoriam
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #31
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneydiva2005 View Post
So sorry to hear this news!
Can't ya just picture him and Walt Disney chatting about the parks?!!

What was his name on the board- I would love to read his posts.
Actually, he didn't participate on this board. He participated over in the usenet group rec.arts.disney.parks and he signed on as his name Randy Berbaum. You can search for his posts through Google Groups.

However, last October a member of this group Tri-Circle-D took a picture of his campsite and dubbed him Tarp Man cause Randy had lots of silver tarps up to reflect off some of the sun and heat from his tent. Some of us mentioned we actually knew Randy, and the thread grew from there.

Some of us have been around the Disney internet community for 10 or more years. Up until about 5-6 years ago radp was really the only Disney internet community out there, and then lots of the web boards popped up and the seperatation began. A few of us still use UseNet. Randy decided to stick with Use Net exclusively (although, I think he was also a member of Stupid Guest Tricks).

So that explains why so many of us know Randy even though he didn't participate here.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #32
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

I remember Randy from back when I used to post on RADP/UseNet frequently, though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

My sympathies to his friends & family. The "Camping Monorail-Man" will be missed.

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

As previously mentioned, Randy had been very active on both the Usenet Newsgroup RADP (Rec Arts Disney Parks) and on www.stupidguesttricks.com . On both of thoe there has been contact by both co-workers and relatives of Randy.

There is one person on RADP who is collecting checks to be a mass donation to WILL, the Public Broadcasting station where Randy had worked for over 20 years. If you would like to make a donation in his name please make your check payable to: “UIF/Friends of WILL” and send it to the person who is doing the collecting and consolidating,
Rodney Grill
304 Chadwick Place
Helena, AL 35080-3141

All checks received will be counted and sent as one batch at the end of this month.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 05-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #34
Randysis
Earning My Ears

thanks

I just want to let you all know that I was able to get the music via a friend. Thank you all for your help. I'll check out the photo album next.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
Bill Brown
December Guest

Glad I got to meet Randy back during RADP07. I remember Randy as a cool dude. My condolences go out to all his family and friends. Randy will be greatly missed.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #36
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Dear Randysis,

I met your brother in 5005 at the RADP meet. Here is a picture of us riding Spaceship Earth.

http://www.wvnh.net/radp/index.php?a...age=05-044.JPG

It was my first meet and I was very intimidated. Randy went out of his way to introduce me and to make me feel welcome.

His posts on RADP were always entertaining, helpful and techno genius.

Randy was a true gentleman, and I feel privileged to have met him.

Jenny (RADP jennydrake)
Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #37
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Thanks for posting, Carol.

I want to share a photo of how I'll always remember Randy:

Always with that hat and the Vest of Many Pockets. You'll see he's also got on those Magical Moments pins that lit up in certain attractions or when you touch them.

Randy, you will be missed.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #38
Laren
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randysis View Post
I want to thank you all for your kind words about my brother, Randy (Tarp Man). His death is still quite a shock to our family. He was only 51. I want to thank Mike who posted the message of his death and to all of you for sharing your memories of my brother. It makes me feel like he's still living somehow. I hope his memory will not be completely forgotten.

I also want to thank all who were a part of the trips to WDW. That was a highlight of his year when he would make his trips to FL. Thank you for making his life so much happier. You were his extended family. He spoke fondly of you, and we almost felt we knew you through him. We had always hoped to join him some day...

We will be having a "Celebration of Life" memorial service to remember him on Saturday, May 24 at 2pm at the First Church of the Nazarene in Champaign, Illinois (2403 W. Kirby Ave.). If any of you are close and would like to join us, you are all welcome.

Thanks again.
Dear Randy's Sis:

He will definitely not be forgotten. I happen to know for a fact that someone who was acquainted Randy from one of the other forums is working on a gift for your parents that will remind them of how much Randy will be missed, and remembered.

Don't worry- we won't forget him.

hugs. . .
Old 05-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #39
Camping Cat
It looked like A Small World gone mad
I'm sweet and nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Thanks for posting, Carol.

I want to share a photo of how I'll always remember Randy:

Always with that hat and the Vest of Many Pockets. You'll see he's also got on those Magical Moments pins that lit up in certain attractions or when you touch them.

Randy, you will be missed.
I remember the time a whole big group of RADPers was late to the campfire meet because of a snag at Trail's End and those of us already there were trying to hold seats for the late arrivals and anxiously watching for them. Here they came over the little bridge with Randy leading the way.....all of his pins touched and activated, blinking for all the world to see. The beacon announcing their arrival.

Jan B.
aka Praline (cuz I'm sweet and nuts)

Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #40
PJ1
Earning My Ears

Thank You

I am very new here so probably none of you know me. I am Tarp Man's brother-in-law and the minister who officiated at his memorial event. Our family and I want to thank you for your warm remarks. We were able to read many of them during the event. All of us appreciated what you had to say. It was very touching to realize how many lives that Randy touched. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #41
Laren
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1 View Post
I am very new here so probably none of you know me. I am Tarp Man's brother-in-law and the minister who officiated at his memorial event. Our family and I want to thank you for your warm remarks. We were able to read many of them during the event. All of us appreciated what you had to say. It was very touching to realize how many lives that Randy touched. Thanks again.
(((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #42
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

My family and I were at Fort Wilderness last Oct and vividly remember Tarp Man's campsite. My DH was like we sooo have to do that next yr ! So sad to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #43
wdwjan
Earning My Ears

Randy at RADP-007

Through the magic of Randy's Photoshop skills, I "sat" next to him on Splash Mountain at RADP-007. What a great memory!

Disney Fantasy Eastern Feb 2013, WDW Nov 2012 (Scopa Towers & DVC-BCV), Disneyland Oct 2012 (Disneyland Hotel), WDW Dec 2011 (DVC-BCV), Disney Magic Jan 2011, WDW Dec 2010 (DVC-BWV), WDW Feb 2010 (DVC-SSR), Disney Magic March 2009, WDW March 2009 (Scopa Towers), WDW October 2008 (POR), WDW Feb 2006 (Scopa Towers), WDW Nov 2003 (CBR), WDW Dec 2002 (ASMu), DLR April 2001, WDW Dec 1997 (Ft Wilderness Cabins), WDW Jan 1994, WDW Jan 1992, WDW Jan 1990

Last edited by wdwjan; 05-31-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #44
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Rodney (on RADP) has reported that he has received over $1,200 in donations which he is forwarding to the public radio station where Randy had worked for over 20 years.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: