Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
TexasErin
Loves old Pluto cartoons

Stroller question for 60-lb 5 year old

I have a 5 1/2 year old son who is very tall for his age. He's not overweight, but is built like a bully to give you a mental image (and unfortunately can act like one towards his big sister at times, but that is another thread, LOL).
He is very flat-footed like me and his feet get tired very quickly. We went to his big sister's "field day" today and by 10 am he was complaining about his feet and legs.
We bought a cheap umbrella stroller on our way to WDW last year, and I guess its because he was probably too big for it even then, but it was all jacked up by our last day. We ended up leaving it by the trash our last day because the wheels weren't turning right and was not worth salvaging at that point.
I just can't decide if I should buy another stroller or rent one at the parks. We will be there for 8 days (our first and last day will be half-days at EPCOT but he may even need one those days.) I don't even know if I can buy one big enough for a 60-lb boy without spending more than I would spend renting.
What would you do?
Thanks,
Erin
Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

I'd start off having him walk and then rent if/when needed. We did this last year. Our 5 yr old walked the first 4 days and then we rented a stroller for the last 4 days. This year he walked the entire week, although I did rent a stroller for one day when we went to P & PP since it was a long day/night. Have a fun trip!

P.S. My DD's name is Erin - great name!

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
ERMama
Disney here we come!

You can find them that go 55lbs so they might not give out as quickly. Graco Ipo, Maclaren Volo for example can be bought for under $100.

But a true stroller to hold over 60 lbs, you wont find one cheaper for renting.

I say rent a single.
ERMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
TexasErin
Loves old Pluto cartoons

Thank you both. We're weighing the pros and cons now of renting vs buying the Graco Ipo. DH is at Toys 'R' Us now and they don't have the Graco Ipo so we'd have to get the Maclaren so we would only save a tiny bit plus we'd have to load it in the car on our drive down and then deal with it on the busses. I think we will just play it by ear and rent one if/when he needs one.
Thanks!

And I agree.........Erin is a cool name...........
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
DisneyCrazyX5
Do you know any cats?
But I can't find the clippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
Thank you both. We're weighing the pros and cons now of renting vs buying the Graco Ipo. DH is at Toys 'R' Us now and they don't have the Graco Ipo so we'd have to get the Maclaren so we would only save a tiny bit plus we'd have to load it in the car on our drive down and then deal with it on the busses. I think we will just play it by ear and rent one if/when he needs one.
Thanks!

And I agree.........Erin is a cool name...........
Have you checked Ebay - I found a double unbrella stroller for our twins when they were 5 for $100 - much cheaper than renting even 2 years ago.
DisneyCrazyX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
DarbyB
Mouseketeer

When my DS was 5 , he was at 55 lbs (of course he will be 7 next week and still 55 lbs) we had him walk. He did great. He was so excited to be a big strollerless boy. We took a break in the afternoon and he was good to go for the night.

Just a thought!

Sept 2013 2 Parks 1 Day
May 2012 All Star Sports
December 2011
October 2009
May 2008 Pop Century
March 2007 Pop Century
May 2006 Pop Century
September 2004 Pop Century
DarbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Erin-do you know that the price of stroller rental went up to $31 per day? I always rent-but at this point I might have to buy one. My little girl is 5, but she's tiny and I don't know if I want her walking around--my boys got a bit bumped around last trip by other stroller users and crowds- and my older one is 12. So, that's something to consider. Also- I sent you a pm!! We are neighbors!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
allie1078
Mouseketeer

Fees:

$15.00 for single - $13.00 per day for Length of Stay rental

$31.00 for double - $27.00 per day for Length of Stay rental

When purchasing a Length of Stay rental, you show your receipt and can bypass the queue with little or no wait.

4th trip - 10/23-10/28 2011 : CBR - with Grandpa Uncle Joe
3rd trip - 8/1-8/6 2010 CBR NO KIDS -the honeymoon we never had but couldn't rekindle our love
2nd trip - 8/23-8/29 2009 POP *Celebrating Ashley's 10th Birhtday* and its a Surprise!!
1st trip - 6/22-6/27 2008 CSR

Mom ,Kaitlyn-16 Ashley-13 , Courtney-12 , William-6
allie1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
abcboys
DIS Veteran

We just got back with my 6 year who I thought would never be able to make it walking at Disney. I is more of a lazy/computer/book/draw child. Doesn't like sports in the least bit. He did great for 4 days but we rented a stroller for 2 days in the middle to give him a break. Yes, the rentals are very expensive but they push like a dream. I could even push my 9 year old in it a it was very easy to push. We had a maclaren volo for the 2 year old and it was even easier to push than that. I can push the 6 year old in the volo (he is around 45 pounds) but he pushed so much easier in the rental. I think the singles are big enough. You may just wait to see how he does before renting. He may be having so much fun he may not realize how tired he is (at first)
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

I just sold my extra mac volo for $65 bucks. they hold up, hold more than the weight limit listed (sick 85 pound tall niece used it on a bumpy boardwalk one night with no problem), they are so worth it and no problem at all on/off buses. and then you can resell or pass it along. Taking a tired 5 year old out of stroller to get to from resort/buses is not my idea of fun.

My 3 and 5 year olds only use their strollers at Disney primarily but they are so worth it.

check your local craigslist and closeby surrounding areas.

jmo. have a great trip!

AUG 1977, OCT 1985, OCT 1986, DEC 1988, DEC 1991, FEB 1995, JAN 2000, DEC 2001, FEB 2005, SEPT 2005, JAN 2007, SEPT 2007 and again SEPT 2007!MAR/APRIL 2008, SEPT 2008
Our 1st Cruise Ever on the Disney Magic 9/18-26/2009
Our 2nd Cruise on the Magic EBTA April 2010
WDW Dec 2010 WDW Jan 2011 WDW Jan 2012

And many more I am dreaming about and holding a onboard discount for!URL="http://www.disboards.com/"][/URL]
kileybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
JTDisney
Disney Veteran

I am renting a City Mini Double from www.orlandostrollerrentals.com and I tested one out with my two 50 pounders and it was easy to move them around. You can rent a single for the week for only $70. This is a $425 stroller.
Coronado '98, '00
Port Orleans '00, '06
Beach Club '00, '02. '06 '09
Saratoga Springs '08
Yacht Club '07
Floridian '01
Dolphin '04, '07
Riverside '05
7 Night Western Disney Magic-06
Beach Club & Disney Wonder-08 & 09
JTDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Mama of Triplets
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDisney View Post
I am renting a City Mini Double from www.orlandostrollerrentals.com and I tested one out with my two 50 pounders and it was easy to move them around. You can rent a single for the week for only $70. This is a $425 stroller.

How smart of you to test first! Question for you. was there alot of room for the kids? We are thinking about renting from orlandostrollers (the double) but I was just worried the kids would be all smashed up in there. They will be 4 years old. Thanks!!

Mama of Triplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Camno's Mama
DIS Veteran

I've been thinking about this a bit as well. My ds (5) is probably about 45 lbs. and hates walking. Seriously...the kid has a ton of energy, but hates to walk for a long period of time. My three year old will walk more than he will. We have a double Mac that worked great last year, but I think it will get pretty heavy if he's sitting a lot.

We went to the zoo the other day and told him that he just has to suck it up! He practiced walking, and he did a lot better than I thought he would. He whined a lot at first, but got used to it by the end of the day. Maybe you could have him "practice" before you go so that your stroller doesn't get so much wear and tear?

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
ilandrazdsw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama of Triplets View Post

How smart of you to test first! Question for you. was there alot of room for the kids? We are thinking about renting from orlandostrollers (the double) but I was just worried the kids would be all smashed up in there. They will be 4 years old. Thanks!!
Just booked one yesterday for our stay in Dec (23-2). I have DD3 & DS5 and expect long days without returning to the room. Returning the one (sit n stand) I had ordered for the trip!!! Amazingly Shannon still have availability for over Christmas!!!

I believe that the single strollers at Orlandostrollers are rated for only 50 lbs?!?! So you may want to double check on weight restrictions and options of strollers.
ilandrazdsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasErin View Post
I just can't decide if I should buy another stroller or rent one at the parks. We will be there for 8 days (our first and last day will be half-days at EPCOT but he may even need one those days.) I don't even know if I can buy one big enough for a 60-lb boy without spending more than I would spend renting.
Hi Erin,

You may find renting a better option than buying. If you do rent at the parks, definitely go for the length of stay option to try to reduce the price a little. If you rent from off site, orlandostrollerrentals.com does have a special needs stroller (looks like an oversize jog stroller) that is rated for up to 100 lbs. I've never rented from them, but other folks do have good things to say about them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: