Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #91
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Let's see: here are my opinions for what they are worth.

In the Boardwalk area there is Spoodles and Beaches and Cream (at the Beach Club which is also within walking distance of Epcot). I have never eaten at either one but have seen lots of yummy pictures on others' trip reports. Spoodles has a Mediterreanean flair, and Beaches and Cream has burgers but the most amazing ice cream desserts.

Mama Melroses's: Ate there in 1995 and don't remember it being dark at all. I like the idea of eating at the Tune-In Lounge though -- that sounds like fun.

San Angel: It is dark, but you might have fun just relaxing and watching the boats glide by. On the other hand, Marrakesh is one of the places I most want to try -- have you ever had baklava before? That is one of their desserts, and one of my absolute favorites.

Everything I hear about Kona is fabulous!

So, there are my opinions.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #92
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post

Tuesday: This is the night I am going to be MK bound so I wanted to be in the general area. I decided on a place I have always wanted to try, have read such good things about and most recently PiscesAngel's report got me really determined to try it. I am eating at Kona and this is the one ADR I am not changing. I am really excited about it!
Oh my gosh, I read this and had to re-read it - I am so flattered!

Ok, now on with the show...you asked for our opinions, so here goes...

Saturday, I have always wanted to try the Cape May Buffet, and I can never seem to talk my fam into going as they really don't care for buffets but will put up with it if it's name is BOMA or it's in a park. I think I would go there if for nothing else, for the OREO BON BONS - yummy!

Sunday, I don't know much about dining in DHS, but it seems like going to 50's Prime Time would be less 'romantic-ish' and you could get some great interaction if no one else, from the CM. Could be a lot of fun.

Monday, Marrakesh all the way! I haven't read many good reviews of San Angel and actually cancelled that one this last trip. That's not even counting how dark, dark, dark it is. Marrakesh looks like the one I would do if I was going solo...

Tuesday, I am SO happy you are going to Kona, but now I hope it can live up to the hype for you! The food really is divine, and I think you will find the atmosphere light and cheerful. Kind of like a coffee shop...

Again, these are all just my opinions, and I just feel so happy for you whatever you choose. You're such a lucky girl!

One final thing, here is oodles of pixies dust that the Celtics win the Championship!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #93
stagemomx3
DIS Veteran

Your ADRs sound good to me. Kona is on my next time list, but for breakfast.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #94
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

I am in the same boat. I am thinking of doing a dinner for myself solo, and I'm not sure where to go...

Cape May was great, we just went there this past trip. I really liked it.

I love the idea of 50's at the bar! I haven't eaten there since our honeymoon in '05.

My Disney Princess, Lily

Mission:Visit Disney Once a Month for a Year. A Florida Newbie's Tales.

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

Old 05-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #95
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Ooohhh... these are TOUGH questions. It is funny how much time we spend obsessing over this stuff. I could not for the life of me tell you what I'm having for dinner tonight but ask about Friday 10/24 and I could probably tell you!!

I'm planning on doing the Tune In Lounge myself so I suppose I'm a bit biased. I have, however, heard good things recently about MM's. The only thing that I think might tip things in its favor is that you're going in August, and it will be HOT. And maybe you'll want to go into a cool, dark(er) place and "spread out" and rest more than you can do on a bar stool? Does that make sense? Since the bar doesn't need an ADR I'd suggest keeping your MM ADR for now and if you decide you're not feeling it then cancel. I have also heard that it's not impossible to do walk-up there-- particularly if dining at non-traditional times.... which you can do b/c you're solo... and catering to no one's appetite but your own.

San Angel... also planning on dining there. I think I'm doing a lunch b/c I thought it might be slightly more casual/comfortable for a solo then. I'm planning on enjoying a break from the sun and, ok, a margarita or two! I have also heard great things about Morocco. And you could always pop over to France for dessert!

I'm not being helpful here... am I?!? Sorry. So much good food -- not enough meals to fit it all in!

GO CELTICS!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #96
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Well, I see you are one step closer to a free TV! Way to go Celtics!

I would probably also vote for Marrakesh over San Angel, although I have not eaten at either. If you stay with San Angel, you could do the CS in Morocco. They had excellent food. We did like Kona, although it was at the tail end of our trip and we were all way past exhausted. Loved the desserts at Cape May, the food was pretty good too. I think it's the only time I've ever seen broccoli rabe on a buffet! You are from New England though, so the "clam bake" feel may not have much appeal. I'm thinking of adding PT Cafe to our ADR list, I think my mom would get a kick out of it. The bar does sound like fun, if it were me I'd take it over MM's. Decisions, decisions!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #97
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Fun, fun, fun. I totally agree, it's weird the lengths otherwise rational people will go to to get dinner reservations months away. But what can you do? Gotta play the game, I guess, if you want to get a table.

Saturday:
We had a great time at Beaches & Cream in January 2007 - and even got the Kitchen Sink, which I can not actually recommend even if you are with a big group of ice cream eaters. Too many flavors that don't go together. But the regular sundaes look great, and the meals we had there were good as well.

I always make a reservation at Spoodles and never manage to eat there. Something always goes wrong and I am beginning to think I have a Spoodles curse. But more power to you if you can actually follow through and eat there!

Cape May Buffet could be good as well - it's one I always want to try but never actually get a reservation for.

Have you ever eaten at Fresh at the Dolphin? I guess it's not on the DP, but it seems like you're planning this Saturday dinner as an extra?? I had lunch there once and it was really good and very cool. OH, but they are only breakfast and lunch. Well, it might be worth looking at the Swan and Dolphin's restaurants for dinner as well - they're places I never even really think to go with the kids.

Sunday:
DHS is the toughest. I can definitely reccommend that rather than Mama Melrose, you could just go to Olive Garden at home and it would be about as good. We didn't have any complaints, per se (we LIKE the Olive Garden), but it was just not that thrilling, especially for the cost. We can get better Italian food at home. Except for the Tiramisu, which we were told was brought over from the Brown Derby. That was really, REALLY good. Unusual presentation, but delicious.

50's Primetime would probably be more fun and a unique dining experience at the bar or otherwise. Were they out of ADR's there? I would think a table there would be really enjoyable by yourself because there is so much kitch to look at AND there's the TV to watch, too. Some of those shows. There's this one where there's a floating cake, if I remember correctly. I ate there with just my kids last year and we really enjoyed the shows, which we didn't notice so much when we ate there with a larger group the year before. The food there -well, being a vegetarian, the choice is a stuffed pepper,

Monday: Again, I'm no help - I always want to try San Angel Inn - I would think you could just gaze at the faux volcano during your meal. Bring a pen-light for taking notes? Marrakesh is really a great experience, though. Gorgeous in there. Loved the couscous. I don't think I had dessert when I ate lunch there with my then 2 year old, many moons ago. I hear you on the dessert - no chocolate! - but maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised?

Tuesday: Hold firm on Kona. I have only had breakfast there one time, but it's a neat spot and good food and I'd definitely go back. I bet you'll really enjoy that one.

Are you having fun yet? I, for one, am really enjoying your planning process.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #98
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Saturday: We have eaten twice at Beaches and Cream and once at Cape May. The whole family LOVED B&C. They have the most awesome onion rings!!! Everyone except me loved Cape May. The food was really good, I'm just not a huge buffet person.

Sunday: The only TS place I've eaten here is 50's PTC. We loved it, but I don't know that I'd want to eat there alone. I didn't know about the bar option, though...

Monday: We only did CS in World Showcase and did Coral Reef for TS. That was hands down the BEST meal we ate in the World!!! But since you want World Showcase, hmmmm... Marrakesh sounds really good...

So many decisions, so little time to eat!!! I'm sure whatever you decide will work out great!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #99
Becky521
DIS Veteran

I don't really have any suggestions but I just have to comment about making ADRs so far in advance. In my family I am the one who is teased for being Disney obsessed. They laugh that I am on the boards daily (no more than an hour usually) but last night it was DH (aka Mr. OCD) who said we have to have a plan on what ADRs we want in December - we can call June 23rd. I reminded him we did this over Christmas ( a year before our trip) and his answer was "Yes, but we have to have a back up plan in case we can't get something!" So yea, we all play the ADR game.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #100
julezdisney
Boo to the b!

Hi Allyson! I'm Julia

I love your PTR, I'm all caught up, and I'm coming with! (figuratively, of course )

Love it!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #101
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Great flight price, I just looked at our August flights and due to fuel costs etc they've gone up by $400 each Am I glad I booked months ago
Old 05-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #102
kimwim8
Won't admit to anything
I blame my kids for sucking all of my memory and intelligence

Hi Allyson!

My votes are for 50's PT Cafe at the bar. I really think that would be a lot of fun, and an easy way to make conversation, if you so choose.

As for World Showcase, what about France or Italy? France would be great, to people watch as they are walking thru WS, and Italy is EXCELLENT food! Just my two cents, to throw some more options out there.

We ate at Cape May Cafe and loved it. So I'd vote for that when meeting your friend. Then maybe you can walk around the boardwalk area afterwards.

I'm really enjoying this report and being "involved" in the planning process too.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #103
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
. On the other hand, Marrakesh is one of the places I most want to try -- have you ever had baklava before? That is one of their desserts, and one of my absolute favorites.

Everything I hear about Kona is fabulous!

So, there are my opinions.
My Mom's side is Armenian and a lot of the foods they make are quite similar to Marrakesh, including Baklava. So part of me does like it and part of me thinks it won't be as good as Mom's. Tempting though.... stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
Oh my gosh, I read this and had to re-read it - I am so flattered!

Ok, now on with the show...you asked for our opinions, so here goes...

Saturday, I have always wanted to try the Cape May Buffet, and I can never seem to talk my fam into going as they really don't care for buffets but will put up with it if it's name is BOMA or it's in a park. I think I would go there if for nothing else, for the OREO BON BONS - yummy!

Tuesday, I am SO happy you are going to Kona, but now I hope it can live up to the hype for you! The food really is divine, and I think you will find the atmosphere light and cheerful. Kind of like a coffee shop...
Good point, Oreo Bon Bons, those sound like something I must try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemomx3 View Post
Your ADRs sound good to me. Kona is on my next time list, but for breakfast.
Yes the Tonga Toast sounds delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGarcia View Post
I am in the same boat. I am thinking of doing a dinner for myself solo, and I'm not sure where to go...

Cape May was great, we just went there this past trip. I really liked it.

I love the idea of 50's at the bar! I haven't eaten there since our honeymoon in '05.
The bar is sounding better and better to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post

I'm planning on doing the Tune In Lounge myself so I suppose I'm a bit biased. Since the bar doesn't need an ADR I'd suggest keeping your MM ADR for now and if you decide you're not feeling it then cancel.

I have also heard great things about Morocco. And you could always pop over to France for dessert!
Good idea on the keeping of the MM but trying the Tune In, I like it!

And yes, France is so close and crepes sound good to me! Or Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellester View Post
Well, I see you are one step closer to a free TV! Way to go Celtics!

I would probably also vote for Marrakesh over San Angel, although I have not eaten at either. I'm thinking of adding PT Cafe to our ADR list, I think my mom would get a kick out of it. The bar does sound like fun, if it were me I'd take it over MM's. Decisions, decisions!
Yes only 4 wins away from a free TV! Thanks for your opinion, Marrakesh is getting a lot of nods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnak View Post
Saturday:
Cape May Buffet could be good as well - it's one I always want to try but never actually get a reservation for.

Have you ever eaten at Fresh at the Dolphin? I guess it's not on the DP, but it seems like you're planning this Saturday dinner as an extra??
Sunday:
50's Primetime would probably be more fun and a unique dining experience at the bar or otherwise.
Monday: Marrakesh is really a great experience, though. Gorgeous in there. Loved the couscous. I don't think I had dessert when I ate lunch there with my then 2 year old, many moons ago. I hear you on the dessert - no chocolate! - but maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised?

Tuesday: Hold firm on Kona. I have only had breakfast there one time, but it's a neat spot and good food and I'd definitely go back. I bet you'll really enjoy that one.

Are you having fun yet? I, for one, am really enjoying your planning process.
Thank you for all your thoughts! I do appreciate them! I had not considered the Swolphin restaurants at all. Glad to hear the good stuff on Marrakesh! And Kona is a definate, I'm not messing with that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Saturday: We have eaten twice at Beaches and Cream and once at Cape May. The whole family LOVED B&C. They have the most awesome onion rings!!! Everyone except me loved Cape May. The food was really good, I'm just not a huge buffet person.

Sunday: The only TS place I've eaten here is 50's PTC. We loved it, but I don't know that I'd want to eat there alone. I didn't know about the bar option, though...

Monday: We only did CS in World Showcase and did Coral Reef for TS. That was hands down the BEST meal we ate in the World!!! But since you want World Showcase, hmmmm... Marrakesh sounds really good...

So many decisions, so little time to eat!!! I'm sure whatever you decide will work out great!

Denise
I love Coral Reef too! We ate there the last 2 trips so I didn't want to revisit this time. The food has been great there though and I love the atmosphere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky521 View Post
I don't really have any suggestions but I just have to comment about making ADRs so far in advance. In my family I am the one who is teased for being Disney obsessed. They laugh that I am on the boards daily (no more than an hour usually) but last night it was DH (aka Mr. OCD) who said we have to have a plan on what ADRs we want in December - we can call June 23rd. I reminded him we did this over Christmas ( a year before our trip) and his answer was "Yes, but we have to have a back up plan in case we can't get something!" So yea, we all play the ADR game.
That is too funny! Always good to have a Plan B I suppose! Your ADR date is coming up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julezdisney View Post
Hi Allyson! I'm Julia

I love your PTR, I'm all caught up, and I'm coming with! (figuratively, of course )

Love it!
Welcome Julia! Happy you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Great flight price, I just looked at our August flights and due to fuel costs etc they've gone up by $400 each Am I glad I booked months ago
YIKES! Yes good thing! That is a huge jump! I just bought our tickets for January from Hartford to Orlando to Nassau to Hartford. That was a tough one to swallow, $538 each! Glad I didn't wait any longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwim8 View Post
Hi Allyson!

My votes are for 50's PT Cafe at the bar. I really think that would be a lot of fun, and an easy way to make conversation, if you so choose.

As for World Showcase, what about France or Italy? France would be great, to people watch as they are walking thru WS, and Italy is EXCELLENT food! Just my two cents, to throw some more options out there.

We ate at Cape May Cafe and loved it. So I'd vote for that when meeting your friend. Then maybe you can walk around the boardwalk area afterwards.

I'm really enjoying this report and being "involved" in the planning process too.
You know I hadn't given France much thought. Is it too romantic in atmosphere? When I think France I think tres romantique! Glad you liked Cape May. That was my thought too, that we could hang out a bit and she wouldn't need to get a park ticket or anything. I do want to scoot back to Epcot in time for Illuminations though! And I love having this whole group of consultants helping me plan this trip! It is fun!

Allyson
Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #104
miceli20
Disney Veteran

solo trip

Hey girl, I totally understand the need for a solo trip. I love going with the family, although I have had two mommy trips with just me and bff. They were excellent. I am an only child as well and understand wanting to be alone, I have the same yearning to have down time or alone time. So go have fun enjoy every minute you have. You will love Kona!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #105
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Let the ADR Shuffle begin!

So I had me a date with 1-407-WDW-DINE today. They picked up right away, I think they were waiting for me. My CM, I can't recall her name, but she sounded Fairy Godmotherish--very sweet and kind and eager to help me. I like that!

So I am normally not a big ADR shuffler. I kind of make my plan and as far as the dining goes I usually stick with it. Partly because that is just how I do it and partly because it isn't always easy to change around ressies for groups of 5 or 6. But this time I am one. And I am learning it is quite easy to change an ADR for one. I do like that!

So I called today and asked for....
Cape May Cafe for dinner on Saturday! Thank you to all the Cape May fans and to PiscesAngel (shouting out to you again!) for bringing to my attention Oreo Bon Bons! Your recommendations sold me on trying it. And believe it or not I do live in New England but don't very often eat clams. Even though I like them. So it will still be a treat! Then I figure my friend and I can walk around the Boardwalk. Question, will she be able to park at the Boardwalk? She is driving obviously since she lives in the Orlando area and is not going to be going to Epcot with me or anything.

So next I asked about....

Restaurant Marrakesh! And of course they have room for one! So I booked it and cancelled the San Angel Inn. I figured it truly is a place my family would never want to go and that is what I want a lot of this trip to be. I love the feel of the Pavilion and I love that several of you had good things to say about it. And I love the notion of hitting up France for some good dessert afterwards! So to Morocco it is!

I left Mama Melrose alone. I think my plan will be to go to the Tune In Lounge, see if I can sit and eat there and then call over and cancel the MM one. I'll just sort of play it by ear but I think that is my plan. I don't want to get an ADR for 50s if I go the bar is where I want to be I think.

I wasn't touching Kona, nope, I'm going there! I did however add one more. What is it you say?

Tusker House Breakfast! Yes a character breakfast! That is not my main reason for wanting it though. I really love doing one early breakfast on a trip and getting to be one of the first ones in a park. So I have an 8:05am which is perfect. A buffet works for me, I can eat and then be ready to hit that EE Single Rider Line! If I get a few pics with a character or two even better! I'll just pay OOP for this one. Again, not a big deal when you are talking about just one person. Nice!

So there we are, for now! I *think* they'll stay the same. The only one that I could still be swayed on I guess is Marrakesh. At the moment I'm all for it but not as set in stone as Kona.

I decided for Counter Service I really want to try the Anandapur (I am butchering this I am sure) in AK. I wanted to this past trip but was vetoed by little people wanting pizza. This time I am trying it. The Mango Mini Pie is calling my name.

Two things, we are watching Untraceable right now with Diane Lane. Creepy, creepy movie. I don't like it at all. Too grisly and icky for me. Definately not a feel good movie.

Second any David Cook fans out there? I love me some David Cook. Bashful and Belle and I loved watching AI this season. So I got tickets for us to go to the AI show in August. And I got great, great seats! We'll be in section 110, 6rows up right next to the side stage:

I think we'll be close enough to see the twinkle in David Cook's eye. Should be a real treat!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend kiddos! Next up, compiling my list of Things I've Always Wanted To Do At Disney World And Will This Trip!

Allyson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: