Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #76
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

We, too, have experienced the "joy" that is flying Delta. I hope you enjoy Southwest - I've never flown them either, not that I wouldn't, but they don't go here, for some reason.

I'm one of the weird ones who finds the 3 hours prior to departure to be good and helpful - I have waited in a long line at Air Tran in Orlando too many times now. I thought I would hate it, too, but from the first time, I actually have thought "It's so nice not to stress and rush through the airport." To each her own, though, and I don't begrudge you your extra hour of sleep, magic or WDW breakfast. I'm considering using a towncar for transportation to and from our upcoming cruise, though. Too bad your beloved company is a ******* swear word now. OK - I confess, I didn't even type in a bad word - just a bunch of *** for effect.

Can't wait to hear about your dining plans next! You're right - free dining calls for food and reservations too! It's going to be so awesome - I can't wait to hear what you've got lined up.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #77
ampc3
DIS Veteran

Love the family photos.. super cute.. I joined a photoshare for our trip, hope it all works out... How long did it take you to finally get your disk??

Can't wait to hear about your ADRS!!!

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #78
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm a big Southwest fan - and I LOVE not having to drive into Boston! I'm glad you are pampering yourself a bit with the towncar. Can't wait to hear about your ADR's!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #79
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysrus View Post
love the pictures!! thanks for sharing.

so, did you like the photopass share? I saw something about it the other day, but I wasn't sure. so, tell me all about your experience.
I did like it. There were 5 or 6 people in ours so I only had to send $20 to a complete stranger so I was comfy with that. She was very organized and sent us all the info and the dates we had to load our pics by. It just took a while to actually get the disc. I travelled in mid March, our last traveller was early April, we had to have our pics loaded by I think it was like April 10th and I just got my disc last week. I'd probably do it again though. It is quite a deal, I had like 100 pictures or so for just the $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMom View Post
Great pictures!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwim8 View Post
Allyson, I am just loving this!!
Thanks and I'm glad I have readers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
I am a fan of SW! It will be great especially traveling without the kiddos! LOVE your photopass pictures! My fave is the POTC one and the fountain HSM one of the kids! I HATE the 3 hr. ME pick up We had to be up at 5:45am on our trip for a 6:30 pick up for a 9:30 flight!
Ugh 5:45am? No one should be up that early. Before 6am to me is just cruel. Glad to hear from a SW fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
What great photos!!! I think the close-up is my favorite!
Mine too, I think I need to print and frame it. I admit, I am SO BAD at actually printing pics and doing anything with them. I love digital but I really never get around to actually getting prints made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamom View Post
Yay, Allyson, for a solo trip. Just getting subbed, and off to read the rest.

Shhhh, I may be takingmy first solo trip the Fall, too!
Ooooh you are? Do share some details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
Those are some really great shots of all of you!

I just love hearing all of the details of your planning. A town car is the way to go for sure!!
Thanks and yes I think so too, on the town car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemomx3 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Towncar mode of transportation too.
I think you might have even used the same Thou Shalt Not Be Named company on your last trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
I found your pre-trippie through LaLa's report, and I love it so far! You are doing what I want to do some day...go by myself! Hubby and I are going without the kids next year for my 40th, so that is part-way to my goal...

Looking forward to hearing more!

Denise
Hi! And thanks for coming over! The more the merrier! Hey my 40th is next year too! I think your trip with DH sounds really nice! I am going with just my DH (and our best friends) in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post
Great update and photos, Allyson. The photopass pics are great. Your little Goofy is a little bit of the ham, isn't he? I love his expressions. Particularly the ones in front of the Sorcerer's hat and in front of the castle. Too cute!!
Good for you!, booking the towncar service. You deserve it!!
I am just lovin' this pre trippie.
That is an understatement. He is a total ham. I just know there is some sort of career in the public eye for him in the future, I can just feel it! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnak View Post
We, too, have experienced the "joy" that is flying Delta. I hope you enjoy Southwest - I've never flown them either, not that I wouldn't, but they don't go here, for some reason.

I'm one of the weird ones who finds the 3 hours prior to departure to be good and helpful - I have waited in a long line at Air Tran in Orlando too many times now. I thought I would hate it, too, but from the first time, I actually have thought "It's so nice not to stress and rush through the airport." To each her own, though, and I don't begrudge you your extra hour of sleep, magic or WDW breakfast. I'm considering using a towncar for transportation to and from our upcoming cruise, though. Too bad your beloved company is a ******* swear word now. OK - I confess, I didn't even type in a bad word - just a bunch of *** for effect.

Can't wait to hear about your dining plans next! You're right - free dining calls for food and reservations too! It's going to be so awesome - I can't wait to hear what you've got lined up.
Oh do try out the towncar, it is quite nice! And I can see your point on getting there early. I guess I just like livin' on the edge! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
Love the family photos.. super cute.. I joined a photoshare for our trip, hope it all works out... How long did it take you to finally get your disk??

Can't wait to hear about your ADRS!!!
My trip was mid March and I just got my disc last week. In my group the last traveller was early April. It took a little longer than I had hoped however it really was a fantastic deal. I got about 100 pics and only paid $20.

Quote:
I'm a big Southwest fan - and I LOVE not having to drive into Boston! I'm glad you are pampering yourself a bit with the towncar. Can't wait to hear about your ADR's!
Oh good, another SW fan! Do they serve snacks on board or sell food? And yes YOU know what I mean about Boston being a MA gal too! Do you usually fly out of TF Green?

Allyson
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #80
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
Oh good, another SW fan! Do they serve snacks on board or sell food? And yes YOU know what I mean about Boston being a MA gal too! Do you usually fly out of TF Green?

Allyson
I have flown out of TF Green to Atlanta and out of Manchester to Orlando. Both experiences were wonderful compared to flying out of Logan! Smaller airports, easy to find your way around and park, not too crowded, etc. I'd be interested to hear how Harford is.

We did get snacks on board - cereal bars on the morning flight and crackers on the evening flight. They also had water, soda and juice. I don't think they have food or drinks for sale.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #81
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hartford is only an hour from us.
It IS a small world after all! I'm about 30 min south east of Bradley airport.

Quote:
I prefer a towncar, a specific company that the DIS will no longer let me name. But I like them alot, they have been great, clean, ontime, and friendly. The main reasons I prefer to spend the money instead of taking the free bus ride are:

1. I am vehemently opposed to leaving for Orlando Airport 3 hours in advance. Way too early in my humble opinion. I want every last minute of the magic that I can get. Which means not leaving 3 hours before my flight.

2. I do like the grocery stop to pick up a few little things for the room.

3. I like to pamper myself a little and after getting off a crowded plane I kind of like having my own private set of wheels waiting to whisk me off to my hotel, not having to wait for my bus to fill, not having to wait for other hotels to let off. Call me spoiled that way but I prefer to start my vacations that way.
Hmmm... now you have me thinking about this. I hate getting to the airport early and as for #3 you had me at "pamper." Would you PM me the name of the thou shalt not be named car company?

Quote:
Next up, ADRs!
Awesome! LOVE eating.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #82
PammyJJane
Beach Club Villas Christmas 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
when the host asked me who I was with I told him I was there alone - I had run away for Mother's Day.....I got a round of applause.
That is PERFECT!!! What an AWESOME Mother's Day present, now I know what I want!!!

Actually I'm reading this post with lots of interest because I'm thinking about going for my birthday in January.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #83
PammyJJane
Beach Club Villas Christmas 07

Hmmm, ok, well in the last 4 pages of reading I've convinced myself that I AM going. Is there a club for Solo Trippin' Moms? If so, I want to join!!

I'm tempted to type the towncar co. I always use to see if it's the one...lol...ok so how can you tell the "Disapproved" companies from the "DIS - approved" companies?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #84
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Wow! It seems like just yesterday I was laughing at the video of your "reveal gone wrong" and now you have a whole 'nother trippie under your belt and a pre-trippie to boot! Where does the time go?

Loved your report with your mom and papa, your kids still remind me of mine. My dd10 is also lip gloss obsessed and usually the world is all about her. Sigh... I am so jealous of your solo trip! One day maybe I'll get to do it, but no time soon. We have #4 on the way, due in December. So, no Mountains for me on our October trip..... Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip. Lucky, lucky, lucky you!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #85
MomofCKJ

Quote:
I have flown out of TF Green to Atlanta and out of Manchester to Orlando. Both experiences were wonderful compared to flying out of Logan! Smaller airports, easy to find your way around and park, not too crowded, etc. I'd be interested to hear how Harford is.

We did get snacks on board - cereal bars on the morning flight and crackers on the evening flight. They also had water, soda and juice. I don't think they have food or drinks for sale.
Yes Logan is so busy and huge and crazy. I think Hartford will be good and easier to get in and out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
It IS a small world after all! I'm about 30 min south east of Bradley airport.
Hmmm... now you have me thinking about this. I hate getting to the airport early and as for #3 you had me at "pamper." Would you PM me the name of the thou shalt not be named car company?
Awesome! LOVE eating.
A CT girl, I had no idea! Hello neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyJJane View Post
Hmmm, ok, well in the last 4 pages of reading I've convinced myself that I AM going. Is there a club for Solo Trippin' Moms? If so, I want to join!!

I'm tempted to type the towncar co. I always use to see if it's the one...lol...ok so how can you tell the "Disapproved" companies from the "DIS - approved" companies?
I think there needs to be a Solo Trippin' Moms Club! Count me in! And if you type a name of a company that is DIS banned when you post it will come up as all asterix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellester View Post
Wow! It seems like just yesterday I was laughing at the video of your "reveal gone wrong" and now you have a whole 'nother trippie under your belt and a pre-trippie to boot! Where does the time go?

Loved your report with your mom and papa, your kids still remind me of mine. My dd10 is also lip gloss obsessed and usually the world is all about her. Sigh... I am so jealous of your solo trip! One day maybe I'll get to do it, but no time soon. We have #4 on the way, due in December. So, no Mountains for me on our October trip..... Can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip. Lucky, lucky, lucky you!
Well hello! It has been a long time! I am so glad you found me! Yes we had the trip in March and then this one just sort of happened, I wasn't planning to go again this year! I am glad it worked out this way though. I see you have a trip coming up too! And #4! Congratulations to you! Boy? Girl?

Allyson
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #86
MomofCKJ

I just had a very long thing typed and clicked here and there and POOF! Gone! AAAUUUGGGHHH! I will never learn to save my work!

I will have to come back tomorrow. I plan to tell you about my ADRs and ask for some suggestions. One ADR I love and am excited about, the other 2 not so much and then there is another night that I need to find something for!

I'll check in tomorrow with the scoop and I'll save my work so I don't lose it again!

Allyson
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #87
Bloodhound
DIS Veteran

It happed to me early while I was typing...maybe they had a web site malfunction

Robert
Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #88
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

Quote:
I just had a very long thing typed and clicked here and there and POOF! Gone! AAAUUUGGGHHH! I will never learn to save my work!

I will have to come back tomorrow. I plan to tell you about my ADRs and ask for some suggestions. One ADR I love and am excited about, the other 2 not so much and then there is another night that I need to find something for!

I'll check in tomorrow with the scoop and I'll save my work so I don't lose it again!

Allyson

Oh Allyson!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Patience isn't my strong suit, but I'll do my best.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #89
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well hello! It has been a long time! I am so glad you found me! Yes we had the trip in March and then this one just sort of happened, I wasn't planning to go again this year! I am glad it worked out this way though. I see you have a trip coming up too! And #4! Congratulations to you! Boy? Girl?

Allyson
We won't know for a month or so. The other kids want to know, dh and I would prefer a surprise but we'll probably give into the kids.

My mom used to live in Hartford. It is a nice little airport, much less intimidating than Logan, that's for sure! Looking forward to hearing about your ADR's.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #90
MomofCKJ

What to eat, what to eat? Take Two

Let's try this again tonight and hope I don't do the mystery mis-click and wipe it all out!

So we have the hotel and transportation taken care of. At the moment I have a 3 day park pass but I think I am going to add hopping to that. That pass starts the day Free Dining (FD from now on) kicks in. I do want to hit a park on my arrival day so I am debating buying a multi day, no expiration pass since I am heading back in January and August of 2009. Still need to figure that out.

But the big thing to decide is the food. Especially with Free Dining, need to know where to eat. And I love eating out. Love it! But this is a little different, I'm alone this time. Oooooh this makes it more interesting. I can't say I'm a huge fan of eating alone but I have done it before. I see it as a personal challenge actually. But it is factoring big time into my restaurant selections.

Isn't it crazy, this whole ADR thing? I mean grown people get crazed, consulting spreadsheets and websites and books, reviewing menus and locations, debating the pros and cons of a character breakfast vs a character dinner and all to determine where to eat six months from now. It really is kind of silly when you think about it! But most of us DISers do this and armed with spreadsheets and a telephone we set to work to get that prized ADR.

So I'll tell you with the dining plan I have 3TS to plan. I have booked them but am not sold on them all yet. I'd love your input, thoughts, past experiences, you know what I mean. My goal for this trip was to eat at new places or places I haven't been in a while or that my family doesn't really care for. It is also to find places where as a solo I will feel more comfortable. I'm not sure what I am looking for in that except I don't want anywhere really overly romantic.

So what do I have? Well let's go day by day shall we?

Saturday: Arrival day and no dining plan yet. I am meeting a friend this evening for dinner and quite excited! You see we have known each other 9 years but have never met. Let me explain. We both joined an online Mother's group for Moms of October 1999 Babies back in, well 1999. And we've known each other via this group ever since. She lives just 45 minutes away from Disney and is going to meet me for dinner. It will be so fun to meet her in person! So I told her how about we meet in the Boardwalk area so she won't have to buy a park ticket and I can just walk over from Epcot. But where to eat? ESPN Club doesn't take reservations and I imagine it could be packed on a Saturday night. Big River Brewery? Cape May Buffet? What do you think? I don't have anything set up yet for this night.

Sunday: Planning to be in DHS at night so I wanted dinner there. I just did the Sci Fi in March so scratch that. I don't want to eat there alone anyways. I don't want to use 2 TS for Brown Derby. I haven't heard many good things about Hollywood and Vine. So I booked Mama Melrose. I have never been. I did view the menu at allearsnet.com (love that site for the menus) and the Chicken with Pipette Pasta looks yummy to me as does the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake. But is it a good place for a solo diner? I have never been inside? Is it dark and romantic? I don't really want overly dark places, I know I sound a little Sally of Harry Met Sally (I'll take the restaurant, with bright lighting and cheerful understanding that I-Just-Need-A-Break-So-That-Is-Why-I'm-Alone servers, nice food presentation and dessert with ice cream on the side. With sprinkles. And a Cherry.) but I can't help it, I do have a few little criteria issues this time. I figure if it is too dark I can't read or write in a journal if I so choose. So my other option this evening is 50s Prime Time. And I like the idea of eating at the bar here. Then I would have said Bartender to converse with perhaps and even maybe some bar stool mates. Something about sitting at a bar, you do tend to develop an instant cameraderie with those around you. I have been told that you do not need an ADR to sit at the bar and that you can order off the full menu. Should I just try to do this? And cancel MM? What do you think?

Monday: Going to be in Epcot this evening so I wanted a little WS. I didn't want Le Cellier as much as I adore it. We ate there the last 2 trips and this trip is about new places. I tried for Nine Dragons but they'll be closed for rehab. The CM offered me Teppan Edo but I wasn't feeling it. I don't know if I want to do the sit at the table with the strangers thing. I do enjoy Japanese food though. But there is a great Japanese place quite near me (go figure, in the middle of nowhere) and I can get sushi there anytime. So I politely declined. I ended up booking San Angel Inn. I do like Mexican food and it has been years since I ate here. However, dark. Dark dark dark. And close tables. Is it too romantically intimate to be alone? Will I regret it and feel awkward? Will I be able to even see my book? This might need to go but to what? I thought about Marrakesh, there is a place my family would never enjoy. I like the menu and I love the Moroccan pavilion, I think it is the most delightful one to be in, I really *feel* like I am in Morocco, but I have to say, the desserts don't thrill me and I am a dessert lovin' gal. Any suggestions?

Tuesday: This is the night I am going to be MK bound so I wanted to be in the general area. I decided on a place I have always wanted to try, have read such good things about and most recently PiscesAngel's report got me really determined to try it. I am eating at Kona and this is the one ADR I am not changing. I am really excited about it!

So I got my three with no trouble at the times I asked for, a bonus of being a party of one. Pretty easy to be fit in I think. I am still actually debating some others I could pay OOP. I really would like to try Yak and Yeti for lunch after seeing a report on it. But I could just try the CS and see how I like it. The food style just appeals to me. And I still am toying with a character breakfast. I really love when you can get in the park early and beat the rush. And I do like a nice breakfast once in a while. So I am debating adding one of those too.

Counter service? Well I'll probably play it by ear. GASP, there it is again, that solo trip induced not planning every moment. It is much easier I think to be a little more spontaneous when you are alone and don't have anyone else to worry about. I'll be eating at Columbia Harbor House one day as part of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. I'd like to maybe nibble through Epcot and try a little of this and that. A turkey leg? I've never done that, it is so, so cavemanish but this is a trip of Never Been Dones so maybe?

Got to run peeps, the Celtics are on, Game 6. We have a lot riding on our guys in Green. We bought a nice big ole TV in December and the deal our store was offering was if the Celtics win the Championship we get our money back! So we are rooting hard for the Celtics and would appreciate any pixie dust you can send their way! If we get our $1200 back think of what I could do with that! LOL! Actually I doubt Grumpy would find that funny but I do!

Have a great weekend, share your ADR thoughts, and I'll be back to put together my list of what I hope to accomplish this trip!

Allyson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: