Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #16
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

I'm here and I'm so happy for you!!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
askelton
Disney Cosmo

That's awesome Allyson!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #18
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTSS2001 View Post
ok Kat where is the pretrippie... I cannot find it... point me at the right direction!!!

Soloist unite!!!

For the moment I am still working on my January report (Sad I Know) but we have a big group PTR about the whole August trip going on...it's the 2nd Line in my siggie...but another will be coming soon as the old one is finished!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Mission:Visit Disney Once a Month for a Year. A Florida Newbie's Tales.

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

Old 05-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

I thought I posted already! I guess not Anyway, how EXCITING!! I am super envious! I will be following along VERY closely as I too one day would like to attempt a solo trip!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #20
ampc3
DIS Veteran

I'm here , I still need to check out your other TR's..

That is soo cool to go by yourself, but I am a chicken when it comes to traveling I do not like going places by myself.. (I know what is wrong with me )So in my book you are a brave women! but you will have soo much fun and peace

ps.. I think we are close in age and I went to Hs in south Florida and had lots of friends go to USF!!!

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm psyched for you! And I'm taking notes for my own solo trip one day - so make sure to give us all the little details! This will be fun!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #22
kathleen27
DIS Veteran

Its great that you're going solo!

I'm looking forward to some solo trips at some point!
Can't wait to hear about yours.

Feb 2014 Feb 2013 Feb 2012 Feb 2011 September 2008 Feb 2008 Feb 2006 March 2003

Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #23
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemomx3 View Post
I'm here.
Thanks for coming along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I'm excited for you! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more.
Thanks! You have a solo trip coming up this fall don't you? Where's your pre trippie, hint hint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnak View Post
Party on, Allyson! You totally have this trip coming to you and I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and take it! I know have a whole list of "someday" restaurants - I can't wait to read YOUR solo-trip wishlist.
Do share your list! I have my ADRs but am not feeling set with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAngel View Post
Yay!! I'm here too!!

So glad you decided to do the Solo trip!! Can't wait to hear about all the adventures you've got planned!

Lucky thing... you've got 2 trips coming up now!!
I know, I am feeling like a lucky girl lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'll be woo-hooing right along with you as I live vicariously through your solo trip!
Thanks for coming over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Looks fun ...Im in ....We have a Oct Trip to DL/DCA (planning in progress)
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post

A SOLO TRIP

LUCKY LADY!!!!

I'm in!!
Glad you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTSS2001 View Post
am here!!!
Hi! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBopp View Post
Whoah! Oh you are going to have so much fun! It will be so interesting to read your PTR. It's all about what YOU want to do! Congrats!!
Yes I can't wait to see the things *I* want and be completely selfish for a few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysrus View Post
I'm here!
Hey Melissa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I know exactly what you mean about a Disney fire! My Disney fire at this point is a raging inferno!
ROFL! Nothing to quench it but a trip! You are less than 3 weeks away now, woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGarcia View Post
I am so in! I just booked my first solo time in WDW too! I am going for 3 days alone, meeting up with a friend after that. I'm excited to hear all about your planning!
Good for you! When are you going solo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
I'm here and I'm so happy for you!!

So glad you are here! And I wish our trips overlapped, I really would love to have met you in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askelton View Post
That's awesome Allyson!
Thanks for coming along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
I thought I posted already! I guess not Anyway, how EXCITING!! I am super envious! I will be following along VERY closely as I too one day would like to attempt a solo trip!
Yes a new movement of Moms Going Solo! I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
I'm here , I still need to check out your other TR's..

That is soo cool to go by yourself, but I am a chicken when it comes to traveling I do not like going places by myself.. (I know what is wrong with me )So in my book you are a brave women! but you will have soo much fun and peace

ps.. I think we are close in age and I went to Hs in south Florida and had lots of friends go to USF!!!
As an only child I don't mind being alone at all, in fact I kind of need to have downtime alone to recharge. However I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a bit nervous about this! LOL! I'm excited to prove to myself I can do it! GO BULLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMom View Post

I'm psyched for you! And I'm taking notes for my own solo trip one day - so make sure to give us all the little details! This will be fun!!
I will surely do that! I still can't believe I am really doing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen27 View Post
Its great that you're going solo!

I'm looking forward to some solo trips at some point!
Can't wait to hear about yours.
Thanks! Glad you are along for the ride!

Allyson
Old 05-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #24
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
As an only child I don't mind being alone at all, in fact I kind of need to have downtime alone to recharge. However I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a bit nervous about this! LOL! I'm excited to prove to myself I can do it! GO BULLS!
It is going to be so much fun for you. You survived a trip with your kids pretty much on your own - this is going to be a breeze!

So my list of restaurants that I would love to try if only I could with my picky eater vegetarian kids:

1. Jiko - OK, we could take them here, but just haven't.
2. San Angel Inn (My kids don't love Mexican food)
3. California Grill
4. Victoria and Albert's (though this might be better with a husband than alone)

And there's one that used to be on the list until I got to go without them one time:

5. Fresh

For what it's worth, activity-wise I'd also go back to the Adventurer's Club, hear that piano player at PORS and take a backstage tour, and, like you, catch a set or two or three of Off Kilter without interruption. I might even get there early and sit on one of the seats!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
MomofCKJ

One is not the loneliest number

So let's see, why do I want to do this trip alone?

Well really I want to be able to see all the things that I never get to see when I am on a trip with the family. They don't want to go through the Animator's Studio 3 times. They don't want to sit and watch a band or a street performer. They don't want to poke around a shop. They don't want to look over all the nooks and crannies of the World Showcase. They would love to stay up late for fireworks and Fantasmic but alas, they can't, they are usually too tired and crash early. They don't want to explore Main Street or ride The Carousel of Progress or visit One Man's Dream. And then there are things that I have just never gotton around to. I have never gone through the Rose Garden or even seen the statue of Roy and Minnie up close. I haven't been in The Hall of Presidents since I was a kid and I've never seen The American Experience. I have never taken a tour.

So those are some of the reasons I want to go alone. I love Disney. I think about it everyday at some point and one reason I love the DIS so much is that people here "get" that. It is nice to be understood. So I really do want to go and do those things that just never happen when I'm with the family. I want to as Nike would say "Just Do It".

But what do people think about someone, especially a Mom, going alone? Well here on the DIS it is understood and accepted and people seem happy for you. I have one friend I have told who thinks it is great. She is excited for me because she knows how much I love Disney and how long I've wanted to do something like this. Other friends I think believe I have fallen off my rocker. They don't get:
A. why I want to go alone
B. how I can go without my kids
C. how can I go when I just went.
All valid questions I suppose.

My kids just went in March and were there in December 2006. They'll be there again in the next year or two. They are not Disney deprived by any means. I think they are pretty Disney Blessed actually. And I have never been one of those Mothers who can't be away from her kids. It just isn't me. I love, and need, some downtime. I am the Mom who danced a jig the day her kids each started school. Remember that Staples commercial for the first day of school where they show the parents dancing to the song "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"? That is me. So I actually enjoy taking a little time away. I think, for me, it helps me rejuvenate and be a better Mom.

My kids actually do not yet know I am going for sure. They know I am thinking of it and aside from teasing about wanting to come they are actually quite cool with it. I'll tell them when it gets closer. Grumpy is on vacation the last 2 weeks of August every year (he works for a boarding school and is off 8+ weeks a year) so they'll get some serious Dad time which will be a lot of fun for them. They'll probably have more fun with me gone, playing Guitar Hero all day, wearing mismatched clothes, going swimming in the lake and having nachos for dinner and ice cream for breakfast. Got to love when Dad's in charge.

So wanting to see what I want, needing a little guilt free Mom time, why else go? Well kind of to prove to myself I can. I am an only child so being alone is natural. I grew up spending a lot of time alone so it doesn't bother me. I have gone to movies alone and actually prefer shopping by myself. But this is bigger that that. Flying alone, well I've done that so that is no big deal. But spending 5 days in Disney alone, a bit different. I want to show myself I CAN do this. I CAN be independant and enjoy my own company. I CAN eat dinner at a Table Service restaurant alone. You know, let me pull up my psychoanalyst chair here, I never lived alone in college. I was always in a dorm, never an apartment out on my own. After college I moved back in with my parents and lived there till I moved out when I got married 3 years later. So a part of me just wants to try and do something by myself. Does that make any sense? I'm turning 39 this year, maybe this is my mid life crisis I don't know.

Well I've gone on long enough tonight. I just figured I'd give a little deeper insight into why I am taking this trip.

Next up I'll tell you about the day that made the dream of going alone an actual reality! It involves Lady Luck!

Allyson
Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
MomofCKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnak View Post
It is going to be so much fun for you. You survived a trip with your kids pretty much on your own - this is going to be a breeze!

So my list of restaurants that I would love to try if only I could with my picky eater vegetarian kids:

1. Jiko - OK, we could take them here, but just haven't.
2. San Angel Inn (My kids don't love Mexican food)
3. California Grill
4. Victoria and Albert's (though this might be better with a husband than alone)

And there's one that used to be on the list until I got to go without them one time:

5. Fresh

For what it's worth, activity-wise I'd also go back to the Adventurer's Club, hear that piano player at PORS and take a backstage tour, and, like you, catch a set or two or three of Off Kilter without interruption. I might even get there early and sit on one of the seats!

I was at Cali Grill this past trip and it was fantastic! V&A I think I would love to try but with Grumpy. It seems romantic and I know it is long. I think it would be pushing it to do that one alone. I don't know if I could sit there for 3+ hours and they probably wouldn't appreciate me whipping out a book to read! LOL!

Now Jiko there is one I have not tried. And I heard some nice things about it. Hmmmmmm.

Fresh, is that at the Dolphin or Swan? I am not familiar with it.

San Angel Inn, ding ding ding. I actually have an ADR there right now. I'm a bit torn on it though. I love Mexican food but I wonder if it is too dark to be there alone. I know the tables are close together and it is dark and I'm afraid I'll feel odd being there alone. I don't know. I thought maybe I should find places that are better lit in case I do want to read or journal. Decisions, decisions!

And I have already made arrangements for one of your activities too! More on that soon!

Allyson
Old 05-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #27
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Quote:

Good for you! When are you going solo?
August 18-21. Pop Century.

My Disney Princess, Lily

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
MomofCKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGarcia View Post
August 18-21. Pop Century.
I love Pop! I tried to get in there this trip but it was booked. I arrive Aug 23, just missing you!

Allyson
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #29
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Quote:
I love Pop! I tried to get in there this trip but it was booked. I arrive Aug 23, just missing you!

Allyson
You are going for free dining then? I am HOPING that going a few days before will be worth it. I'll still be in disney at POR from the 21-25th tho!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #30
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]

My kids just went in March and were there in December 2006. They'll be there again in the next year or two. They are not Disney deprived by any means. I think they are pretty Disney Blessed actually. And I have never been one of those Mothers who can't be away from her kids. It just isn't me. I love, and need, some downtime. I am the Mom who danced a jig the day her kids each started school. Remember that Staples commercial for the first day of school where they show the parents dancing to the song "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"? That is me. So I actually enjoy taking a little time away. I think, for me, it helps me rejuvenate and be a better Mom.

Yes, it sounds like the kids have had their time and certainly will again. And I'm with you on the Staples commercial. I'm also the mom who was blissfully happy when DS7 started first grade this year, and I cannot wait until DS5 starts first grade next year. Not that I don't love being with my kids - but we need our time apart. I need my alone time - therefore I am still up when everyone else has gone to bed. You're going for all the right reasons and you're going to have a blast!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: