Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #151
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
So with the whole hotel/air travel thing shifted and straightened out it was ADR time...again. I called this afternoon and Mike was there to help me out. Mike sounded like he forgot his pixie dust pill this morning. I think he would have rather been anywhere else but the 407-WDW-DINE line today. Like working anywhere on World's Dirtiest Jobs, anywhere but the dreaded ADR Hotline for Crazy Overplanning Disney Freaks.

First up was seeing if I could get into Kona for that Friday night. Do you think I could? Do you? Of course, party of one remember! Earliest time though was 7:10 but that is okay. One person eats faster than a group and I'll still have time to get over to Spectro for 9 and Wishes for 10. So I booked it and cancelled the other Kona ADR I had.

Next up I tried for Tusker House breakfast on Saturday morning. Mike had an early morning opening for me! Yeah! I felt the need to tell him I was leaving my husband and kids home for a little Mom's Vacation and he told me "More power to ya" in the most Steven Wright-ish, monotone voice. I had to laugh.

I cancelled the other Tusker House and was good to go. But Marrakesh is nagging at me. Any Podcast listeners here? I listened to Kevin's Marrakesh review today and it was not glowing. Do I really want to try this? I will keep for now. Quite a few of you have loved it. His review just made me rethink it.

So thanks for helping me compile a nice varied list of things to do at the Magic Kingdom. Now let's move on to Epcot! Oh Epcot, I do love it. It is not the most favorite of my kids. They love Test Track and Soarin' but Epcot for them has a lot more likes than loves.

What would I like to accomplish while here?

Well shopping in World Showcase. Now I'm not a super huge shopping gal but I'd like to peruse the different shops. Especially the ones I never go into with kids, like the ones with lots of glass and crystal! I've never seen that infamous tres expensive crystal castle, would love to!

Seeing some of the bands and street performers. I've seen very little of them. My kids just never seem to want to stop, they want to go on to the next thing. I saw about 1.2 minutes of Off Kilter and Bashful said it was too loud and could we keep going. So I want to see Off Kilter do a set. I'd love to see Miyuki. My kids would have liked to see her but we were never at Epcot when she was on. Who are some other street performer/bands that you like in Epcot?

I'd like to take the boat ride in The Land.

I'd like a Grey Goose Slushie.

What would YOU like to do if you were on your own schedule in Epcot?

Tonight I took the kids to McDonald's. As we ate I asked "So what if I did go away for a few days by myself, what would you think?"

Goofy: To Disney?

Me: Mmmm Hmmmm

Goofy: Awww, can I come?

Belle: I would lock you out of the house and not talk to you.

Bashful: Where would you stay?

Me: Would you guys be okay with it? I mean its just for a few days.

Belle: No way

Goofy: Would you bring me back a Fat Piglet?

And that was that. Belle makes her remarks with a smirk, Goofy can easily be bought and Bashful seems quite indifferent. This might be easier than I thought to tell them the deed has been done!

So in other unrelated to this trip news we bought our plane tickets for the January trip. Oh. My. Goodness. They are multi city tickets, Hartford to Orlando to Nassau to Hartford and were, gulp, $538 a piece. Ouch. But we had to get them and I just was afraid waiting too long with the economy the way it is they might go up and up. So that is a little pretrip info for a different trip!

I am chaperoning a trip with Bashful tomorrow to the Ecotarium which is like a Science Museum. Wish me luck!

Allyson
It just seems like those CMs are so hit or miss! Sorry you didn't get another one who was more fairy-godmotherish...

Sounds like breaking the news went pretty well. Their reactions sound pretty typical...

I wish you bunches of luck tomorrow - have fun!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #152
4boysrus
Proud momma to 4 boys.

Quote:
So with the whole hotel/air travel thing shifted and straightened out it was ADR time...again. I called this afternoon and Mike was there to help me out. Mike sounded like he forgot his pixie dust pill this morning. I think he would have rather been anywhere else but the 407-WDW-DINE line today. Like working anywhere on World's Dirtiest Jobs, anywhere but the dreaded ADR Hotline for Crazy Overplanning Disney Freaks.

First up was seeing if I could get into Kona for that Friday night. Do you think I could? Do you? Of course, party of one remember! Earliest time though was 7:10 but that is okay. One person eats faster than a group and I'll still have time to get over to Spectro for 9 and Wishes for 10. So I booked it and cancelled the other Kona ADR I had.

Next up I tried for Tusker House breakfast on Saturday morning. Mike had an early morning opening for me! Yeah! I felt the need to tell him I was leaving my husband and kids home for a little Mom's Vacation and he told me "More power to ya" in the most Steven Wright-ish, monotone voice. I had to laugh.

I cancelled the other Tusker House and was good to go. But Marrakesh is nagging at me. Any Podcast listeners here? I listened to Kevin's Marrakesh review today and it was not glowing. Do I really want to try this? I will keep for now. Quite a few of you have loved it. His review just made me rethink it.

So thanks for helping me compile a nice varied list of things to do at the Magic Kingdom. Now let's move on to Epcot! Oh Epcot, I do love it. It is not the most favorite of my kids. They love Test Track and Soarin' but Epcot for them has a lot more likes than loves.

Well shopping in World Showcase. Now I'm not a super huge shopping gal but I'd like to peruse the different shops. Especially the ones I never go into with kids, like the ones with lots of glass and crystal! I've never seen that infamous tres expensive crystal castle, would love to!

Seeing some of the bands and street performers. I've seen very little of them. My kids just never seem to want to stop, they want to go on to the next thing. I saw about 1.2 minutes of Off Kilter and Bashful said it was too loud and could we keep going. So I want to see Off Kilter do a set. I'd love to see Miyuki. My kids would have liked to see her but we were never at Epcot when she was on. Who are some other street performer/bands that you like in Epcot?

Tonight I took the kids to McDonald's. As we ate I asked "So what if I did go away for a few days by myself, what would you think?"

Goofy: To Disney?

Me: Mmmm Hmmmm

Goofy: Awww, can I come?

Belle: I would lock you out of the house and not talk to you.

Bashful: Where would you stay?

Me: Would you guys be okay with it? I mean its just for a few days.

Belle: No way

Goofy: Would you bring me back a Fat Piglet?

And that was that. Belle makes her remarks with a smirk, Goofy can easily be bought and Bashful seems quite indifferent. This might be easier than I thought to tell them the deed has been done!

So in other unrelated to this trip news we bought our plane tickets for the January trip. Oh. My. Goodness. They are multi city tickets, Hartford to Orlando to Nassau to Hartford and were, gulp, $538 a piece. Ouch. But we had to get them and I just was afraid waiting too long with the economy the way it is they might go up and up. So that is a little pretrip info for a different trip!

I am chaperoning a trip with Bashful tomorrow to the Ecotarium which is like a Science Museum. Wish me luck!

Allyson

WOO HOO! I'm so glad that all of the ADR's worked out for you. I had a good feeling since you are, like you said, a party of 1.

I'm excited about (hopefully) being able to explore WS more this trip. Last trip it was just a quick walk through.

You are going to have such a great time!
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #153
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

You know what I was thinking? Just now? Don't bop me over the head with one of those spinny light things, but If it were just me and I wasn't on the dining plan, and I was in Epcot for the day, and I didn't want to eat in Mexico cause it was too dark and wasn't sure about Marrakesh - I think I might just make excellent use of the excellent counter service options in Epcot - disclaimer: vegetarian - but I LOVE the bean burrito at the Cantina and would marry the vegetarian platter at Tangerine Cafe if I weren't already married. And get one of those Tangerine drinks - the EXPENSIVE way. We always get those frozen things the less expensive way so the kids can enjoy them as well. I know there are other CS places, but boy do I love those two. And my kids are thrilled by neither one. Both have casual outdoor seating which is good for people-watching or just doing your own thing, too. That's the problem with Epcot, isn't it? TOO many choices.

So I have to ask, cause if you said, I didn't catch it - are you going to get the dining plan if it isn't free or just pay for everything out of pocket?

Back to MK for a second:

I can't believe you have never been to Tom Sawyer Island. It's worth a trip over and a walk around, for sure.

OH, and the Liberty something something steam boat is very cool. My youngest and I had a good time exploring that while the big boys were off riding Space Mountain or something. It's fun to see the captain's quarters and if you hang out long enough, sometimes the captain herself comes along and invites you up to see the steering rig. The day we were there, there wasn't a whole lot of interest in these things - most people seemed to just find a spot and watch the land moving around the boat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Definitely see WISHES from the front. I saw it from near Dumbo one time and it was not half the show you see on the other side of the castle, what with the looking back and forth and all. I'd highly recommend seeing it from somewhere more towards the front.

Your kids are TOO cute. What does Goofy mean by "A fat Piglet?" Like a plush? It sounds like you are good to go as long as Belle doesn't get the locks changed while you are away.

Soooo, back to Epcot. If I were on my own.....I don't even know! But definitely, you must spend time in the shop in Japan. It's like 5 conjoined shops, and I'm sure every person likes a different part best. But for me, I like the part with the dishes. I got the CUTEST dishes on a whim in the Japan pavilion and I keep meaning to go back and get some more, but it's hard to find 20 kid-free minutes in Epcot most of the time. Live the dream, Allyson - buy Japanese bowls!!!

Definitely plan to see Miyuki. She is incredible. Likewise the drummers in Japan, really near where she does her show.

Definitely see Off Kilter - so much fun.

Mo Rockin' is also worth a stop and listen, if you like their style.

I hear there are museums in each of the pavilions - I have never even found any of them except the Japanese toy museum with the Kidcot station. I hear there are a gajillion clay statues in the China pavilion.

There are those 360 movies, too. Do your kids like those? How about that movie in France?

Back to Future World, Since you're interested in The Land boat ride - what about the Behind the Seeds tour? Not too pricey and bound to be more fun without little gardeners to worry about. I'd love to do that sometime, but it doesn't ever seem to work out with the kids along.

The one thing I'd do in Future World if I were on my own, even if I weren't going to spring for the full Segway tour would be to go and ride one in the demo area in Innoventions West. That would never happen with the kids along.

Ah, the joy of TOO MUCH to see in Epcot.

Regarding your plane tickets - for a multi-city ticket, those prices aren't bad. I just spent (unfortunately) more than that to fly to Michigan of all places later this month. Those ticket prices were DEFINITELY going to go up. Are you reserving your hotel for that trip already too?

Good luck with your field trip chaperonage. Sounds like it could be lots of informative fun!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #154
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Egad - I'm spewing Epcot suggestions. You don't have to respond to all that. Just say "Uh-huh." And keep walking.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #155
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

oooooooooooooo Allyson, you are going to have so much fuuuuuuuuuuunnn!!!

Corinna just reminded me about the segway tour. I know you read my TR. One of the biggest highlights was the segway tour of FW. If you need a break from the parks, but still wanna do sumthin , go for the tour of Fort Wilderness. It is a two hour experience and well worth the money.

I am luvin this TR!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #156
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

So happy that you were able to change your ADRs!

Sounds like the kids will be okay with mom leaving!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #157
ampc3
DIS Veteran

glad your ADR changes worked out... Yes it seems like you will be able to "buy" your kids out of being mad at you What ever works right!

I know that plane ticket was alot of $ but like you said it was a multi stop ticket and out of the country so if you think about it, that really was a pretty good price.. and yes you are right it will only go up! That trip sounds soo fun, can't wait to hear about that!

Have fun on your field trip....

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #158
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:

Allyson
I would do all those things that you mentioned, plus the Segway Tour. I REALLY want to do the Segway Tour! Then I would spend most of my time in World Showcase. In each country I would have a drink and sample some food, then do the shops and the entertainers. Finish off the evening by getting myself a great seat for Illuminations, even if I had to get that seat an hour early. I wouldn't mind waiting that long if I was by myself - not dealing with crabby kids and DH who hate to wait for anything. Yikes, is that possible to do in one day?

Hope you are having fun at the Ecotarium. Too bad it's not a nicer day - I love the walk down to the train and visiting the polar bear! I chaperoned DS5's trip to Southwick's last week - luckily it was a nice day and I had a pretty good group. Worst field trip ever - IMHO - the New England Aquarium! Dark and crowded - and I had four boys besides DS7 who kept running ahead of me and it was impossible to keep track of them.

Sorry people - I got a bit !
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #159
Ellester
DIS Veteran

Phew! Such excitement since I last checked! I'm so glad your revised plan worked out so well. I like the idea of snacking around the World Showcase. I always want to stop and get a little treat to try but then that ends up costing $50 as everyone else wants something, and a drink, then doesn't like what they got, then whines for something else, and so on! I would make sure I saw all the WS movies too. I love Circlevision, but not holding a child during the whole thing! I think we've skipped them (other than France) the past several times. I would totally put Tom Sawyer's Island on your itinerary if you've never been there. Even if only to get a new perspective on Liberty Square and Frontierland!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #160
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen27 View Post
Glad you worked everything out!
Magic Kingdom -
I would do the tour too!
Go in any store I wanted.
Relax with a snack of MY choice.
Watch the fireworks or parades without complaints or eyerolling.
Ride BTMRR, see Philharmagic.
Rides might be more NOT riding what I am not interested in. (NOT waiting in line for Dumbo - I like riding with the kids, but not something I would ride on my own.) And not having to switch off or have someone sit out with my DD on the ones she doesn't like.
Good point! Not having to do certain things (can anyone say Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground?) will be SO nice and an angle I had not considered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
WooHoo! I am glad it all worked out. Yes, you can grab your own luggage at MCO, we did it on our trip because of our late arrival! You bring it to check in for ME and then out to the bus and the driver will load it for you and then unload it at your resort! We tipped him $1 a bag.
Thank you for also opening my eyes to how ME really works. I really had no idea! I thought your luggage was captive for a few hours and I really didn't like that part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
Allyson - I'm glad to hear that everything got all worked out...I definitely would have been sweating that one!!

Also, I'm glad you have asked all of these questions about ME. I have always been very curious, as I'm sure the day will come that we will need a break from driving all that way!

I do have a couple of comments regarding the MK too...

I've always wanted to ride the Liberty Belle riverboat, though I don't know how that would go solo, maybe bring a treat along?

BTMR is awesome at night - that one is a must-do!

I agree with kathleen27, I would just look forward to not doing what everyone else wants to do!

By the way, thanks for stopping by my pre-trippie - there's an update over there tonight! (I know, I know, shameless advertising... )

Looking forward to more!
Never been on the Liberty Belle! You know you think you've done it all and then when you really go through each thing you find there is so much you've missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
It always amazes me how different everyone is. I love Magic Express, nothing better than not having to pick up your luggage at the airport and drag it around the hotel. I have taken it 3 times and it has never taken more than 70 minutes from the time we landed till we got to the hotel.

I think we are going to at DW as the same time as you again, I got a great deal on Spirit Air, but I hear they may be cancelling flights so if that happens we will not be going but the plan is Aug 18-23 at the All Star Music and AKL for a split stay.

Lisa
I'm willing to try it with this newfound information but I still really enjoy a Towncar. It just makes you feel a bit pampered! And I admit, I do like that now and then! Maybe we'll cross paths at ASMu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Just wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying your pretrippie. I'm going to Disney the same time, but with the entire extended family.

As much as I love them I'm really looking forward to taking the KTTK tour by myself that week. (I think I'm going Tuesday). Everyone else has done it, so I get a nice little bit of time to myself.

If I was on a solo trip what I'd love to do is check out some of my favorite rides after dark. I keep hearing about how much more realistic and cool certain effects on the Jungle Cruise and BTMR are after dark, but my family never seems to want to ride those things then.

I'd been thinking of a solo trip to the world next year, but now I'm thinking of Disneyland instead. I can't wait to ride my rides at night!
My KTTK is on Sunday. I have heard nothing but good things about it! Where are you staying? And yes I think JC at night will be something I'll try, you are the second or third person to bring that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGarcia View Post
I am looking forward to just wandering the world showcase, trying out some new drinks or snacks from each pavilion. Just a leisurely stroll for me, I can't wait. Also test track has a single rider line so that would be good if you feel like a ride!
Amen on the drinks and snacks! I can't wait to nibble a bit of this and that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
It just seems like those CMs are so hit or miss! Sorry you didn't get another one who was more fairy-godmotherish...

Sounds like breaking the news went pretty well. Their reactions sound pretty typical...

I wish you bunches of luck tomorrow - have fun!
Yes, I think I can successfully get away with this once I decide to tell them. They seem like they'll handle it pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysrus View Post
WOO HOO! I'm so glad that all of the ADR's worked out for you. I had a good feeling since you are, like you said, a party of 1.

I'm excited about (hopefully) being able to explore WS more this trip. Last trip it was just a quick walk through.

You are going to have such a great time!
Yes! Seems pretty easy for them to find a spot for just one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinnak View Post
You know what I was thinking? Just now? Don't bop me over the head with one of those spinny light things, but If it were just me and I wasn't on the dining plan, and I was in Epcot for the day, and I didn't want to eat in Mexico cause it was too dark and wasn't sure about Marrakesh - I think I might just make excellent use of the excellent counter service options in Epcot - disclaimer: vegetarian - but I LOVE the bean burrito at the Cantina and would marry the vegetarian platter at Tangerine Cafe if I weren't already married. And get one of those Tangerine drinks - the EXPENSIVE way. We always get those frozen things the less expensive way so the kids can enjoy them as well. I know there are other CS places, but boy do I love those two. And my kids are thrilled by neither one. Both have casual outdoor seating which is good for people-watching or just doing your own thing, too. That's the problem with Epcot, isn't it? TOO many choices.

So I have to ask, cause if you said, I didn't catch it - are you going to get the dining plan if it isn't free or just pay for everything out of pocket?

Back to MK for a second:

I can't believe you have never been to Tom Sawyer Island. It's worth a trip over and a walk around, for sure.

OH, and the Liberty something something steam boat is very cool. My youngest and I had a good time exploring that while the big boys were off riding Space Mountain or something. It's fun to see the captain's quarters and if you hang out long enough, sometimes the captain herself comes along and invites you up to see the steering rig. The day we were there, there wasn't a whole lot of interest in these things - most people seemed to just find a spot and watch the land moving around the boat. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Definitely see WISHES from the front. I saw it from near Dumbo one time and it was not half the show you see on the other side of the castle, what with the looking back and forth and all. I'd highly recommend seeing it from somewhere more towards the front.

Your kids are TOO cute. What does Goofy mean by "A fat Piglet?" Like a plush? It sounds like you are good to go as long as Belle doesn't get the locks changed while you are away.

Soooo, back to Epcot. If I were on my own.....I don't even know! But definitely, you must spend time in the shop in Japan. It's like 5 conjoined shops, and I'm sure every person likes a different part best. But for me, I like the part with the dishes. I got the CUTEST dishes on a whim in the Japan pavilion and I keep meaning to go back and get some more, but it's hard to find 20 kid-free minutes in Epcot most of the time. Live the dream, Allyson - buy Japanese bowls!!!

Definitely plan to see Miyuki. She is incredible. Likewise the drummers in Japan, really near where she does her show.

Definitely see Off Kilter - so much fun.

Mo Rockin' is also worth a stop and listen, if you like their style.

I hear there are museums in each of the pavilions - I have never even found any of them except the Japanese toy museum with the Kidcot station. I hear there are a gajillion clay statues in the China pavilion.

There are those 360 movies, too. Do your kids like those? How about that movie in France?

Back to Future World, Since you're interested in The Land boat ride - what about the Behind the Seeds tour? Not too pricey and bound to be more fun without little gardeners to worry about. I'd love to do that sometime, but it doesn't ever seem to work out with the kids along.

The one thing I'd do in Future World if I were on my own, even if I weren't going to spring for the full Segway tour would be to go and ride one in the demo area in Innoventions West. That would never happen with the kids along.

Ah, the joy of TOO MUCH to see in Epcot.

Regarding your plane tickets - for a multi-city ticket, those prices aren't bad. I just spent (unfortunately) more than that to fly to Michigan of all places later this month. Those ticket prices were DEFINITELY going to go up. Are you reserving your hotel for that trip already too?

Good luck with your field trip chaperonage. Sounds like it could be lots of informative fun!
Can I say, I love your input? LOL! Thanks for taking the time to write so much good stuff! Let me try and respond:
1.I am not on the dining plan. I am a big fan of the DDP but for this trip I'll just do OOP as I don't think I'll eat all that much. Which leads me to...

2. You hit the nail on the head with Epcot. I might just bag Marrakesh and do CS in World Showcase. I'm torn. I think doing CS would be fun and tasty but yet having a TS would mean a definate nice air conditioned break time. Weighing the options....

3.Fat Piglet, let me explain. Yes it is a plush. Those ones they make of the characters that look more like bowling balls, all round and chubby? Well in our house they are Fat and whatever their name is. Bashful got Fat Piglet on our trip in 2006 and dubbed it that and it stuck. This trip another Fat Piglet, Fat Pooh and Fat Eeyore came home with us.

4. Thanks for all the MK and Epcot ideas! Japanese dishes eh? I'll have to keep my eyes pealed! I haven't been in any of the countries movies since I was probably in college. The Segway, that would be fun and quite amusing. I am not very coordinated, I could see that ending badly. I might just check out though!

5. Ouch on your ticket to Michigan! Really this $538 is way more than I've ever spent on a plane ticket. I had serious sticker shock. But if it's not so bad I feel better about it. Where are you staying for the Half? We are at CSR, first time, wanted something new. We will be there Thu-Sun. Sun afternoon we fly to Nassau and stay till Thursday at Sandals. Have you done the Half before? I'm excitedly nervous. We have our first 5K in a week and a day. Gulp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post
oooooooooooooo Allyson, you are going to have so much fuuuuuuuuuuunnn!!!

Corinna just reminded me about the segway tour. I know you read my TR. One of the biggest highlights was the segway tour of FW. If you need a break from the parks, but still wanna do sumthin , go for the tour of Fort Wilderness. It is a two hour experience and well worth the money.

I am luvin this TR!!!
Yes I do remember that and you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
So happy that you were able to change your ADRs!

Sounds like the kids will be okay with mom leaving!
I think they'll survive and not hold it against me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
glad your ADR changes worked out... Yes it seems like you will be able to "buy" your kids out of being mad at you What ever works right!

I know that plane ticket was alot of $ but like you said it was a multi stop ticket and out of the country so if you think about it, that really was a pretty good price.. and yes you are right it will only go up! That trip sounds soo fun, can't wait to hear about that!

Have fun on your field trip....
I guess it is a good price but more than I've ever spent on a ticket! LOL! But we had to get it, hotels are booked and we already registered for the Half Marathon. We can't turn back now (well we could but that would truly stink!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMom View Post
I would do all those things that you mentioned, plus the Segway Tour. I REALLY want to do the Segway Tour! Then I would spend most of my time in World Showcase. In each country I would have a drink and sample some food, then do the shops and the entertainers. Finish off the evening by getting myself a great seat for Illuminations, even if I had to get that seat an hour early. I wouldn't mind waiting that long if I was by myself - not dealing with crabby kids and DH who hate to wait for anything. Yikes, is that possible to do in one day?

Hope you are having fun at the Ecotarium. Too bad it's not a nicer day - I love the walk down to the train and visiting the polar bear! I chaperoned DS5's trip to Southwick's last week - luckily it was a nice day and I had a pretty good group. Worst field trip ever - IMHO - the New England Aquarium! Dark and crowded - and I had four boys besides DS7 who kept running ahead of me and it was impossible to keep track of them.

Sorry people - I got a bit !
Your Epcot day description sounds great! I love Illuminations and you are right, waiting an hour is not so long or bad when you are only having to worry about yourself.

The Ecotarium was okay. It was cold outside and really hot inside. Many school groups there. We finished up pretty quick (there really isn't all that much there) and then as we were supposed to have our train ride the train broke! So we had to skip it. Kids had fun though. I LOVE Southwicks! We used to live in Whitinsville, just 13 minutes door to door with Southwicks. We would get a membership each year and go at least once a week. My favorite time was to go late in the day and just spend an hour or so walking around. My kids enjoyed many, many trips there! And I hear you on the NE Aquarium! That would be a hard place to keep an eye on kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellester View Post
Phew! Such excitement since I last checked! I'm so glad your revised plan worked out so well. I like the idea of snacking around the World Showcase. I always want to stop and get a little treat to try but then that ends up costing $50 as everyone else wants something, and a drink, then doesn't like what they got, then whines for something else, and so on! I would make sure I saw all the WS movies too. I love Circlevision, but not holding a child during the whole thing! I think we've skipped them (other than France) the past several times. I would totally put Tom Sawyer's Island on your itinerary if you've never been there. Even if only to get a new perspective on Liberty Square and Frontierland!
You are so right! Having to get ice cream for all or a special treat for all adds up quick when you have a lot of cherubs! Another Tom Sawyer's Island fan! It is something I'll be sure to do this time!

I am taking all these suggestions and gathering them in one list. Then I'll pretty them up and put them in the to be created binder. I love that you are all suggesting things! It is making it a lot of fun and you are bringing up things I have either never done or just had forgotton about!

Allyson
Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #161
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Quote:
Good point! Not having to do certain things (can anyone say Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground?) will be SO nice and an angle I had not considered!
Yeah, I can say Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground. Does it get HOT in there or what?

Quote:

Can I say, I love your input? LOL! Thanks for taking the time to write so much good stuff! Let me try and respond:
Whew, thank goodness. If a person's going to go overboard on someone else's pre-TR...well, I'm glad you found it to be good stuff.

Quote:
2. You hit the nail on the head with Epcot. I might just bag Marrakesh and do CS in World Showcase. I'm torn. I think doing CS would be fun and tasty but yet having a TS would mean a definate nice air conditioned break time. Weighing the options....
That's a good point about the AC - hadn't thought of that angle. I guess there might be some AC in Tangerine, but it wouldn't be that fun to swelter at the Cantina, would it? If I were you, I'd go into it with the reservation, for sure. If you decide to do something else at the last minute, you always can.

Quote:
3.Fat Piglet, let me explain. Yes it is a plush. Those ones they make of the characters that look more like bowling balls, all round and chubby? Well in our house they are Fat and whatever their name is. Bashful got Fat Piglet on our trip in 2006 and dubbed it that and it stuck. This trip another Fat Piglet, Fat Pooh and Fat Eeyore came home with us.
Oh, right! I remember that. Those are some silly plushes, but it sounds like your kids really enjoy them. So you may end up with Fat Piglet triplets, I guess!

Quote:
4. Thanks for all the MK and Epcot ideas! Japanese dishes eh? I'll have to keep my eyes pealed! I haven't been in any of the countries movies since I was probably in college. The Segway, that would be fun and quite amusing. I am not very coordinated, I could see that ending badly. I might just check out though!
Oh my gosh, these dishes are SO cute. If you like that sort of thing. They have more elegant ones as well in that shop, I believe, if these are too CUTE. They top my list of best functional souvenirs, though.

And by all means - if you would be a danger to yourself and others on a Segway, no need to go there.

Quote:
5. Ouch on your ticket to Michigan! Really this $538 is way more than I've ever spent on a plane ticket. I had serious sticker shock. But if it's not so bad I feel better about it. Where are you staying for the Half? We are at CSR, first time, wanted something new. We will be there Thu-Sun. Sun afternoon we fly to Nassau and stay till Thursday at Sandals. Have you done the Half before? I'm excitedly nervous. We have our first 5K in a week and a day. Gulp!
You seriously did fine on the tickets, I think. I remember back in college, I was flying back and forth from Minnesota to Massachusetts and we were super-lucky when my mom could get the roundtrip for around $400. It seems like there have been lots of discount tickets for a while now, but it seems like maybe those days are in the past once more.

I am going to be at the Contemporary for the half. That's the plan. I have never done anything resembling a half before. Unless you count the Minnie Marathon, but that was only 9.3 miles. The WDW half marathon has been my BIG DREAM race since I started running about a year and a half ago. The thing I'd envision during those tough C25K sessions, the thing I've held in mind as the big picture goal when the longer runs get tough. That's so great that your first 5K is coming up. The more races you do, the more comfortable you'll feel that morning. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you! Are your marathoning friends doing this 5K too?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #162
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Corinna,
Our friends live in NC so no go on the 5K. She, Julie, is a runner though. She did Boston a couple years ago and recently did a Half in NC. Out of 1000 runners she placed 87th. So some might say she's purty speedy! LOL! We will see them in 2 weeks when we go to Maine. We vacation together there each year, renting side by side houses. Staying at the Contemporary, nice! You know how to do a Disney trip right!

I would write more folks but I am completely emotionally drained. Long story short my husband is driving back from the Animal Hospital right now, Tufts for you locals. I took Sterling to our vet late this afternoon and they referred us to Tufts. He was vomiting yesterday and today and it turns out he apparently pulled apart a rug in the basement and ate a bunch, I mean a bunch, of the string he pulled off of it. And it is sort of stuck in there, if you know what I mean. They are keeping him overnight and pumping him with fluids and stuff and the vet there apparently feels there is an 80-85% chance he will, ahem, be able to pass it all. This is setting us back $800 and I don't even know what the bill at my own vet's was today (visit and Xrays), they told me to just go and I could pay later. I'm certain it had to be $200 at least. If the dog needs surgery they are talking over $4K and I don't even want to go there. Grumpy is not a fan of spending thousands of dollars on the dog, please don't flame, it is what it is. Let's just hope that the dog can pass the stuff and we can be done with this. Belle is at a Girl Scout sleepover and has no idea any of this happened. The other two have been crying and asking a lot of questions. We had to put a dog down 3 years ago and they remember that and how awful it was. I really don't want to travel that road again. So if you could throw some pixie dust in the air for Sterling, I know he'd appreciate it.

(Old pic but this is him as a pup)

Allyson
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #163
CJsMom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Corinna,
Our friends live in NC so no go on the 5K. She, Julie, is a runner though. She did Boston a couple years ago and recently did a Half in NC. Out of 1000 runners she placed 87th. So some might say she's purty speedy! LOL! We will see them in 2 weeks when we go to Maine. We vacation together there each year, renting side by side houses. Staying at the Contemporary, nice! You know how to do a Disney trip right!

I would write more folks but I am completely emotionally drained. Long story short my husband is driving back from the Animal Hospital right now, Tufts for you locals. I took Sterling to our vet late this afternoon and they referred us to Tufts. He was vomiting yesterday and today and it turns out he apparently pulled apart a rug in the basement and ate a bunch, I mean a bunch, of the string he pulled off of it. And it is sort of stuck in there, if you know what I mean. They are keeping him overnight and pumping him with fluids and stuff and the vet there apparently feels there is an 80-85% chance he will, ahem, be able to pass it all. This is setting us back $800 and I don't even know what the bill at my own vet's was today (visit and Xrays), they told me to just go and I could pay later. I'm certain it had to be $200 at least. If the dog needs surgery they are talking over $4K and I don't even want to go there. Grumpy is not a fan of spending thousands of dollars on the dog, please don't flame, it is what it is. Let's just hope that the dog can pass the stuff and we can be done with this. Belle is at a Girl Scout sleepover and has no idea any of this happened. The other two have been crying and asking a lot of questions. We had to put a dog down 3 years ago and they remember that and how awful it was. I really don't want to travel that road again. So if you could throw some pixie dust in the air for Sterling, I know he'd appreciate it.

(Old pic but this is him as a pup)

Allyson
Sorry to hear about Sterling - I hope he is ok!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #164
4boysrus
Proud momma to 4 boys.

sending pixie dust and prayers for Sterling. Keep us posted.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #165
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Prayers for all of you and Sterling!!! I hope everything turns out okay!!!

We have two dogs who are definitely part of the family -- I know how you must be feeling right now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: