Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
bonnielynn
DIS Veteran
 
bonnielynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,345

what happened to the photos?
__________________
A dream is a wish your heart makes when you’re fast asleep - Cinderella



bonnielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

bumping this thread full of great ideas

I was looking for a thread on suggestions on how much spending money to bring for Viva, and found this thread. It's full of great ideas on things to do in Italy, and it really is making me excited for our upcoming trip!!!

Still looking for suggestions, I really have no idea how much to set aside for spending money.
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Spending Money

[/QUOTE]Still looking for suggestions, I really have no idea how much to set aside for spending money.[/QUOTE]

I took 8 hundred Euros on Viva Italia and had no problem spending it all. Have a great time.

beachcat

Last edited by beachcat; 04-05-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: because
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
I took 8 hundred Euros on Viva Italia and had no problem spending it all. Have a great time.

beachcat
Thanks, I assume you mean that 800 Euro was for one person?
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
Thanks, I assume you mean that 800 Euro was for one person?
No 800 euros for Patti and I.We did have one extra day in Venice as well, but I think 400 euros per person is about right.

Orvieto was fabulous as well as Artimino. We did not do the side trip to Pisa. I really just enjoyed wandering around Artimino for the day. Be sure to check out the church from 997 AD in Artimino.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Phil1019
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 119

I am going on the Bella Italia trip this July. Is it necessary to exchange US dollars to Euro's ? In Costa Rica and Peru most mrchants took US dollars and credit cards.
Phil1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
mapsd
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1019 View Post
I am going on the Bella Italia trip this July. Is it necessary to exchange US dollars to Euro's ? In Costa Rica and Peru most mrchants took US dollars and credit cards.
No use for dollars at all in Italy. Merchant won't take them & exchanging dollars-> Euros will cost you.

Just arrive with your bank card/VISA & hit an ATM in the airport. Be sure to notify your bank that you'll be in Europe and maybe raise your daily withdraw limit.

When's your trip.
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,223
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapsd View Post
No use for dollars at all in Italy. Merchant won't take them & exchanging dollars-> Euros will cost you.

Just arrive with your bank card/VISA & hit an ATM in the airport. Be sure to notify your bank that you'll be in Europe and maybe raise your daily withdraw limit.

When's your trip.
If you're planning on taking a taxi to your hotel (if you're coming in early) be sure bring a small amount of euros with you, as some taxis won't take credit cards, and you don't want to take a chance that something might be going on with the ATM's at the airport. Have enough cash to get you to your destination.

A *lot* of places do take credit cards, but as mapsd said, forget about the US dollars.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #24
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
No 800 euros for Patti and I.We did have one extra day in Venice as well, but I think 400 euros per person is about right.

Orvieto was fabulous as well as Artimino. We did not do the side trip to Pisa. I really just enjoyed wandering around Artimino for the day. Be sure to check out the church from 997 AD in Artimino.
Awesome! We are planning on taking advantage of the nice break in Artimino in the middle of the week. I had imagined that it would be spend mostly at the villa. Is the town close enough to walk to?

Thanks for the respons!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Artimino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
Awesome! We are planning on taking advantage of the nice break in Artimino in the middle of the week. I had imagined that it would be spend mostly at the villa. Is the town close enough to walk to?

Thanks for the respons!
It is a very nice walk about a 1/2 mile through a olive tree grove down a country road. The town is very small but very picturesque.

When are you going? When we went in October, it was already too cold for pool use. I liked the villa the best of the places we stayed but 3 nights there were just enough.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
It is a very nice walk about a 1/2 mile through a olive tree grove down a country road. The town is very small but very picturesque.

When are you going? When we went in October, it was already too cold for pool use. I liked the villa the best of the places we stayed but 3 nights there were just enough.
We are going on the June 28 trip. So, we're hoping for nice weather for pool use! The kids will like the pool. I just can't wait!!

My son will be in Spain earlier in June, so we'll have to tell him to bring home some Euros for use in the airport when we first get there. Still trying to figure out the best way for him to have $$ there. I'm not going to send him there with a credit card, so we may just have him bring cash and change it at the airport (even though I know the exchange rates aren't the best there). He'll have to use the hotel safe for his cash that he's not carrying around with him. He's going with a group from school. I'm so jealous! I told him if he looses his passport, just stay in Europe!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,223
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
We are going on the June 28 trip. So, we're hoping for nice weather for pool use! The kids will like the pool. I just can't wait!!

My son will be in Spain earlier in June, so we'll have to tell him to bring home some Euros for use in the airport when we first get there. Still trying to figure out the best way for him to have $$ there. I'm not going to send him there with a credit card, so we may just have him bring cash and change it at the airport (even though I know the exchange rates aren't the best there). He'll have to use the hotel safe for his cash that he's not carrying around with him. He's going with a group from school. I'm so jealous! I told him if he looses his passport, just stay in Europe!
If you're a member of AAA, check with them. When I went to the Med in 2010, AAA had a pre-paid international credit card you could buy. You pre-loaded it with a set amount of money, and it was good internationally. I didn't end up getting one, but it sounded like a good option. Might be just what your son needs.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
jlou
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
If you're a member of AAA, check with them. When I went to the Med in 2010, AAA had a pre-paid international credit card you could buy. You pre-loaded it with a set amount of money, and it was good internationally. I didn't end up getting one, but it sounded like a good option. Might be just what your son needs.

Sayhello
great idea! Thanks for that, sounds like a great option!
__________________


Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,223
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
great idea! Thanks for that, sounds like a great option!
You're welcome! I found this link that talks about the card:

http://ohio.aaa.com/financial/travel-money.html

Quote:
AAA Visa TravelMoney® Card

Traveling around the world is so much easier with the AAA Visa TravelMoney® card. The card is accepted worldwide at millions of merchants and ATMs, and you will feel comfortable knowing the card is not linked to any of your accounts and can be replaced in as little as 24 hours if lost or stolen.

AAA Visa TravelMoney® Card is a prepaid, reloadable Visa debit card which offers travelers a safe and convenient alternative to travelers checks and cash. You can use it to obtain local currency at any Visa ATM around the world and avoid standing in line at currency exchanges. Additionally, the card can be reloaded where it was purchased, using cash or funds from your bank account, credit or debit card.

Other benefits include lost luggage reimbursement*, purchase security* for replacement, repair, or reimbursement on qualifying items purchased using the card, travel & emergency assistance* and more!
Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
beachcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 183

Local Bank

A month before our Europe trip, I went to our local Bank of America branch and asked them to order me 200 Pounds, 200 Swiss Francs and 800 Euros. They had it for me in 2 days.

Please let me know who your guides are. I met a young lady at the EPCOT Italian pavilion and she is now guiding trips. Just want to see how she is doing. We actually met up with her in Venice on our extra days and rode the Vaporetta around town. A very smart nice girl. Hope you get her as a guide.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.