Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #76
CoolDisneyKitten
Not like other sheep, arrr!

Good's and Gooder: from Counter Service to Jiko!

Though my original plan had us returning to AK today (5/10), with an ADR at Yak and Yeti for lunch, Mike and I were pretty beat, and Mom was fine with just hanging out around OKW. Mike and I wandered over to Good's to Go to grab us all some lunch. (sorry, forgot to get pics of this!)

We ordered a soft pretzel and Mickey Bar with snack credits, and then 3 burgers (probably relieved I don't have pics of those...) with fries for our lunches. I got 1 chocolate cake and 2 key lime pies for desserts.

The burgers were fine, pretty much standard counter service. The fries were good, still hot even when we got back to the room. The chocolate cake was for Mike, of course. The key lime pie was really, really good - tart, like it's supposed to be, with just the right amount of sweetness. Hear that, Coral Reef? Beaten by counter service... sad. Good pretzel, though extremely salty. Mike's first soft pretzel!

Ok, now on to the real stuff: Jiko! We got our car back just in time to drive to the Lodge, so that made us happy. We checked in a few minutes before our ADR, and we'd just sat down in the bar when our buzzer went off. I was hoping for a table by the window, and almost asked, but I didn't. Instead we were given one of those table by the wall o' birds.

Our server's name was Oscar, and at first he was excellent. We started, of course, with appetizers...

I went for the ostrich schnitzel...

Hhmm. My feelings about this dish are a wee bit mixed. The ostrich was nice and crispy, but overall the dish lacked a bit in flavor. The breading wasn't seasoned at all, as far as I could tell. Of course ostrich is a very rich meat, but still. The lemon caper aioli was lovely, but still very, very lightly seasoned. I actually wanted *gasp!!* salt. Yes, salt. It was fried, what can I say? Fried food makes me want salt.

Mike got the maise and sweet potato tamales...

I was very proud of him! I thought this was a bold choice for him. He liked it very much, though he only ate one to save room for dinner. I have to confess... I honestly can't stand this dish!! I love the flavor, but the texture... awful. Mike gave me a bite, because I just keep tryin, and yep... still hate it!! If it were nice, crunchy corn it would be ok, but as it is, no way! But Mike liked it, and that's what's important.

Mom got the chef's specialty flatbread...

It had artichokes, spinach, bacon, cheese, and some sort of yummy sauce on top. It might as well have had my mom's name written on it: the woman is mad for artichokes. She loved it. She didn't eat it all, also saving for dinner, but she took the rest home.

For our entrees, I ordered the spice-crusted pork...

The pork here was excellent, though a tiny bit spicy for me. That wouldn't have bothered me if I'd had something to eat it with, some sort of starch. But there was nothing. Underneath it there was a sort of ragout with mushrooms, onions and bacon, and then, I kid you not, 1 baby potato cut in half. I was feeling very starch-deprived, and there was nothing to absorb the "oomph" of all that flavor. So great dish... just needed something *else*.

I'll skip Mike for a sec, because his was a bit of a saga, and talk about Mom's... she got the curry shrimp...

She was with this dish. She *loved* it. It was her favorite entree of the trip. I had a bite, and I had to agree - amazing. It was curried shrimp and veggies (look, artichokes!) served over coconut rice, and all the elements combined to make a truly wonderful dish. Yumyumyum. Wish I'd ordered it!! See, Jiko? Rice. It's a starch.

Ok, back to Mike... he ordered the filet over mac and cheese...

Now as I've mentioned several times, Mike orders his steaks medium well. Every other steak or burger he'd ordered this trip had been perfect. He cut into this one, and it was perfectly... medium. I was about to drool. We waved down Oscar, and Mike asked for it to be cooked more. We waited a while, Mom and I sort of fiddling with our food (rude to eat when Mike has nothing), and at last a runner brings Mike a new steak. He cuts into it, and it's *less* cooked than before. After a while we wave down Oscar again, and he doesn't understand the problem.

"That is medium well," he says. Mike sort of blinks at him. "If we cook it more it will be well done," he says. Mike kind of smiles and says, "Then cook it well done, please." He looks a little affronted, but he whisks it away to cook it more. Poor Mike still has no food, and we have no bread, but I managed to wave down Oscar to get us some bread... which I didn't take a picture of, btw.

Finally Mike gets a third steak, and it's right. But. His first two steaks were medium. They were perfect for *me*. When the runner put down his first steak, she actually said, "Filet, rare." Um. Anyway... He said it was good, but not as good as Yachtsman. I think the whole problem rather put him off Jiko.

Ok, on to dessert... I ordered the pistachio creme brulee...

I've had this before, but only as part of a dessert sampler. As a whole big serving like this, it was just too much pistachio flavor for me. I ate about half of it, and Mom ate the other half. It was creamy, with a nice crunchy top - two musts for creme brulee - but the pistachio taste was much stronger than I remembered.

Mike ordered the vanilla mousse...

He said it was very light, which at the time I took as a compliment. Later he clarified to mean it was *too* light, as in it didn't have enough vanilla flavor for him. I had a bite and quite liked it. I don't like things to have an overwhelming vanilla taste, and I found it rather refreshing after my spicy entree.

Mom had the tanzanian chocolate cheesecake with lavender ice cream...

Mom was definitely the winner all around tonight. This dessert was fantastic. If you stuck your spoon through the whole thing and got a bite of ice cream, cookie, and cake, it was like a flavor party in your mouth. The cake was dense and chocolatey, and the ice cream was light and flowery, with the nice crunchy cookie... sooo delicious!

Oh! I almost forgot. Before dessert we all ordered tea...

Super cute, huh?

We didn't realize that coffee (or tea, I guess) was included with the DxDDP, and no server chose to tell us, either. We wondered why we weren't charged for our tea, but we figured Oscar just worked some sort of magic to make up for the filet thing and for his sudden onset of Disappearing Server Syndrome. Anyway, I got green jasmine, Mom got chai, and Mike got black thunder. We all enjoyed them, though green jasmine isn't really meant for a press pot; it was a tiny bit bitter. I added honey to mine, and Mom added a raw sugar cube. Mike took his black, though I suggested he ask Oscar for milk. He said he was fine.

Overall: We'll return to Jiko, though probably not next trip. Mike was a bit bothered by the steak incident, and Oscar's reaction to it. Mom *loved* her meal, so she'd go back tomorrow!

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF

Last edited by CoolDisneyKitten; 05-21-2008 at 02:19 AM.
CoolDisneyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #77
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

We are going to Jiko for my b-day in Oct so thanks so much for the review. My DH is a well done steak guy too and we went to Yachtsman last month, he ordered his ribeye well done and it came out swimming in butter and red mashed potatoes...clear sign the steak is not well done. He cut into it and the sucker was rare, not med rare but RARE RARE. I thought I saw DH turn green!

The server was fantastic and told DH he could get him another one but DH said get me a filet instead, this one they cooked perfect! I think the thought of the rare steak and red potates freaked him out too much to get another ribeye!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #78
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

those desserts looked wonderful, as well as the tea service!

i love pistachio - couldn't imagine the creme brulee being too pistachio-y!!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #79
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Yummy! Now I'm off to find that TR

pooksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #80
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

WOW....I get a bit under the weather for a day and I miss a whole bunch of yummy stuff!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Spoodles. I had the shrimp linguine dish last trip and the pasta was al dente, as it should be. So sorry yours was mushy, it's an awesome dish.

Sorry JIKO disappointed a bit, it's one of our faves.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #81
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Great review of Jiko! My favorite WDW restaurant! I love the pistachio creme brulee especially the chocolate bottom.

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #82
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Question So, coffee or hot tea, or soda or iced tea included?

Just to clarify now, coffee, or tea, or soda, or iced tea would be included, right? Are there "free refills" on soda or iced tea, or limited to 1 glass?

Thx.
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #83
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Now if only I could convince DH to give BOMA a chance. He does not like buffets at all. We loved JIKO and our next trip is going to be all "New" places. I think BOMA would be a perfect fit.
CoolDisneyKitten - I love the reviews so far! We are eating at many of the same places on our next trip!

Tigerkat, My DH also hates buffets and the LOVED Boma! I say try it with your DH!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #84
CoolDisneyKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
We are going to Jiko for my b-day in Oct so thanks so much for the review. My DH is a well done steak guy too and we went to Yachtsman last month, he ordered his ribeye well done and it came out swimming in butter and red mashed potatoes...clear sign the steak is not well done. He cut into it and the sucker was rare, not med rare but RARE RARE. I thought I saw DH turn green!

The server was fantastic and told DH he could get him another one but DH said get me a filet instead, this one they cooked perfect! I think the thought of the rare steak and red potates freaked him out too much to get another ribeye!
We've never had any problems with steak temperatures at Yachtsman. My stepmother likes her steak basically burned to a crisp, and they cooked her filet perfectly there. Mike's filet was perfectly medium well. I guess even the best make mistakes sometimes! It might have been miscommunication with the kitchen in that case.

I think Mike wasn't really bothered the first time. It was when it came out *less* cooked the second time (after he'd told Oscar he wanted it cooked more), and then Oscar sort of argued with him that he got bothered. He does not like confrontation. Ah well... he must've enjoyed it in the end, because he ate it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzimar57 View Post
those desserts looked wonderful, as well as the tea service!

i love pistachio - couldn't imagine the creme brulee being too pistachio-y!!
I normally quite like pistachio myself! I think it was the sweetness combined with the pistachio flavor. Hand me a bag of pistachios and I'm a happy camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Yummy! Now I'm off to find that TR
You found it! And I managed to update it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
WOW....I get a bit under the weather for a day and I miss a whole bunch of yummy stuff!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Spoodles. I had the shrimp linguine dish last trip and the pasta was al dente, as it should be. So sorry yours was mushy, it's an awesome dish.

Sorry JIKO disappointed a bit, it's one of our faves.
Normally Spoodles is absolutely perfect. I don't know if it was because it was so late, or what, but I've always enjoyed their pasta in the past. I certainly won't be holding it against them, though, as it's pretty much our favorite place at Disney!!

We know how great Jiko can be, so we'll definitely be back. Mike might just need some time to get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Great review of Jiko! My favorite WDW restaurant! I love the pistachio creme brulee especially the chocolate bottom.
Thanks! My mom definitely enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal View Post
Just to clarify now, coffee, or tea, or soda, or iced tea would be included, right? Are there "free refills" on soda or iced tea, or limited to 1 glass?

Thx.
You get 1 non-alcoholic beverage included in the DDP or DxDDP, and it has unlimited refills - just like it would w/o the dining plan. All of our servers told us that. What they did *not* tell us is that the DxDDP also includes coffee (inc. cappuccino or espresso) or tea with dessert. I guess we should've read the fine print more carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
CoolDisneyKitten - I love the reviews so far! We are eating at many of the same places on our next trip!
Thanks for reading! I'm sure you'll enjoy them all.

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF
Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #85
CoolDisneyKitten

It's Mom's Day! B&C (again) and Flying Fish!

Today, Mother's Day, was our planned lazy day, so we stuck with the plan. I hadn't made a lunch ADR for us because I figured we'd just do B&C or maybe somewhere at DTD. Once I finally got my crew out of bed for the day, we decided on Beaches and Cream. I think it was Mike's idea. Did someone say "ice cream?"

We stopped by the Beach Club gift shop first and bought a few things, then we wandered over to B&C. Mike and I got there first, and there was an empty booth that needed cleaning, so we asked for that. It was like 2ish. Note: Go to Beaches and Cream at 2. We didn't have to wait, and there were empty tables!

Mom and Mike both ordered onion rings, which you can see a pic of in an earlier post. I swear they were bigger orders, though. Mike's were so hot you could barely eat them, so I munched on Mom's. I got, of course, the chicken noodle soup. There was no way we could finish all those onion rings. I don't know what those monkeys were thinkin!

For our mains, Mom and I got the hot dog with cheese and chili...

The chili was loaded with beans, which I don't usually like in my chili, but I was distracted by the delicious hot dog. Yum-o. No pickle yuckiness this time, either. My mom and I both enjoyed these, and it's probably what I'll order next time, too. Oh, tip: eat it with a knife and fork!!

Mike got the cheesesteak again, also pictured in an earlier thread. This time the waitress brought au jus, but he chose not to dip. He enjoyed it again, though he said the one he had before was a little juicier (dip, man!).

Now on to the good part... dessert!

Mike got the brownie a la mode...

The cherry fell off before I got the pic, but Mike doesn't like cherries anyway. Actually. Has he ever *had* a cherry? I honestly don't know. Anyway. He loved this and ate the whole thing, but after he was *stuffed*. It's a really big brownie.

Mom and I split the No Way Jose...

I'd never had one of these before! We always get the Fudge Mud Slide. It was deleeecious. I really liked the chocolate ice cream. So good. Mike declined, because he finds peanut butter "revolting." What kinda weird peanut butter do they have in Wales?? Mom and I ate every bite.

We were so full after, and it was pretty late, so I changed our Flying Fish ressie from 6:25 to 9:45. It was the next earliest time they had. Unfortunately by the time we got there, they were out of one of the Mother's Day specials, but at 6:25 we wouldn't've been able to enjoy it anyway!

Have I mentioned that I love Flying Fish? I do. It's so good.

Mom and I see cool, fun restaurant... Mike sees wall.

First, the bread...

It's very crusty, sourdough wheat. Mike made the mistake of starting with a heel piece. It took him about a week to chew, so I advised him to seek out a middle piece next. He was like, "Now you tell me..."

I started with the she crab soup...

It had poppy seed puffed fritters on top. This was excellent. Nice amount of crab, creamy, good flavor from the brandy (as opposed to the more traditional sherry). I enjoyed it, and it was a lighter start to the meal than I usually choose.

Mike got the crabcake...

He asked for the two sauces on the side, and look what they did! How cuteness. He liked this, but he when he tried the sauces (ancho chili remoulade and roasted red pepper coulis) they were way too spicy for him, and he was very glad he'd gotten them on the side. This crabcake is pretty substantial, and he didn't finish it.

Mom got the shrimp cocktail...

That sounds so... eh. Shrimp cocktail, whoop-dee-doo. I beg to differ! The shrimp cocktail here is like from another planet. The shrimp are amazing, and it's served with the wonderful chive olive oil... I loove it!! Between the two of us, Mom and I finished this one off.

For our mains, I ordered the scallops...

Look, it's like seaweed! Wow. This dish. Wow. Perfectly grilled scallops served over green pea risotto with porcini mushrooms and Serrano cracklins. This is my normal reaction to green peas: I can't stand them. This risotto is the *only* way I will eat green peas! It's so delicious. Savory, yet sweet, and just a bit spicy, then you get the salty from the cracklins and the earthiness from the mushrooms... fantastic. I say the mark of a truly great dish is when elements I normally don't like can combine to create a really wonderful bite. This dish had that - I don't like mushrooms, either!

Mike ordered the steak...

Our server, Didi, suggested he order his steak medium because of the char on the outside. He said medium well might get him a burned steak, but if it came and wasn't cooked enough, he'd be glad to have it cooked more. Mike agreed, and it came out perfect. He ordered the foyot on the side, of course. He said the steak was good, but a little dry. Honestly, I love this steak, but I think because of the charred outside it's better cooked more medium rare. That's just my opinion.

Mom got the pumpkin-seed crusted mahi mahi...

My mom isn't a big fish fan, and normally she gets the steak. She said this was the best fish dish she'd ever had. The toasted pumpkin seeds added a wonderful smoky, nutty flavor to the dish. It was a squash/zuchinni ragut that it rested on, and she enjoyed that, as well. It was a really big piece of fish, and she wasn't able to finish it.

For dessert, I had the strawberries three ways...

Ahhh, where do I begin with this sublime arrangement of Heaven on a glass plate? From left to right we have a sort of strawberry shortcake, and it tasted like the strawberries had been marinated in mint. In the middle is a warm strawberry banana goodness of the gods wrapped in phylo dough. The right is strawberry gelato with a crumble topping. The middle one was my favorite - warm, not too sweet, crispy phylo. I wish I had some now!! The gelato was great to have a bite of after the pastry, b/c it was cold (obviously) and a good bit sweeter. The crumble was a nice texture contrast. The shortcake was good once you got into it. The cake was seasoned with something, but I don't remember what now, and combined with the sort of minty strawberries was quite good, but the strawberries alone tasted a little... odd. All in all, I LOVED this dessert and finished it all, which left me WAY TOO FULL.

Mike got the chocolate bread pudding...

Isn't the sauce pretty? This was very good, though I think Mike prefers more "oozy" chocolate desserts. I loved the dark chocolate gelato on top, but I think Mike would've liked dark chocolate gelato *and* an oozy chocolate center. The boy wants it all.

Mom got the molasses-laced pecan tart...

Again, so pretty. You can tell they're having fun in the kitchen. My mom really enjoyed this. She said it wasn't too sweet and tasted fantastic. I didn't have a bite; I was too wrapped up in my strawberries. She finished it off, though, so she must've liked it.

Overall: Flying Fish was probably my favorite whole meal of the trip, though California Grill was a *very* close second. I just love this restaurant!! We'll definitely be back.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #86
whayes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDisneyKitten View Post
No Way Jose!!! YUM YUM!! It is my favorite. Of course, I would ask for extra peanut butter!!!!!!

Wish I was there!

Thanks for the great report!! Oh and congratulations on the recent graduation!
WDW - 92 offsite (1st Visit!!), 5/97 WL, 8/98 GF, 3/99 ASMo, 8/99 ASMo, 5/00 GF, 11/02 offsite, 8/03 AKL & CR, 4/04 PC, 11/04 SSR, 12/05 SSR, 1/06 offsite, 5/06 BWV, 12/06 AKL, 5/07 SSR, 6/08 POR, 12/08 SSR, 11/09 BLT and AKV Jambo House
DCL - 11/04 3 Day, 5/06 3 Day, 11/09 Western, PC REPO 1/2011, Alaska 5/2011, Fantasy Eastern 11/12, Wonder Repo 9/13
DLP - 9/01
TDR - 3/07
Adventures by Disney - Viva Italia - 9/08
whayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #87
DisneyVeteran
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing your great pics! I've never been to Beaches and Cream...I think I'm going to have t head over there for a No Way Jose next trip!
DisneyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #88
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Question Guess the Roast Beef Sub is like a Phila Cheesesteak?

Heard the burgers, fries were great at Beaches and Cream!

How did you like the Roast Beef Sub? Like a Phil Cheesesteak?

Congrats on your Graduation! What a nice trip!
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #89
50 years Too!
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your food report. Great pictures and discriptions!
I'm off to find your trip report.

Deb

50 years Too! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #90
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDisneyKitten View Post
Look, it's like seaweed! Wow. This dish. Wow. Perfectly grilled scallops served over green pea risotto with porcini mushrooms and Serrano cracklins. This is my normal reaction to green peas: I can't stand them. This risotto is the *only* way I will eat green peas! It's so delicious. Savory, yet sweet, and just a bit spicy, then you get the salty from the cracklins and the earthiness from the mushrooms... fantastic. I say the mark of a truly great dish is when elements I normally don't like can combine to create a really wonderful bite. This dish had that - I don't like mushrooms, either!
I would love to order the scallops, but I HATE MUSHROOMS and I'm not really crazy about green peas. So, can you taste the mushrooms?

John's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: