Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
rico567
Earning My Ears

Lunch at Biergarten Monday

Having decided that the theme park we would visit during our three days at WDW would be Epcot (it's a "working" vacation, wherein my wife works at her convention, I largely goof off). We ended up around lunchtime having covered the 3/4 counterclockwise of World Showcase, and that placed us at the Deutschland area, so we ate lunch at the Biergarten.

Assessment:

1) $25 for lunch buffet very steep, BUT the buffet format allows sampling of the maximum number of Deutsches delicacies, which is good, and you should plan to do.

2) Brief wait for table, maybe 2-3 minutes. Loved the interior and decor.

3) Friendliness and efficiency of the staff was excellent. (Well, on the latter note, they DO all seem to be German......)

4) Several people around us seemed to be rolling their eyes like suspicious cattle at being seated at tables with -gasp!- other people!!! It may or may not be true, as Sartre averred, that "L'enfer, c'est les autres,"* but we have been fortunate enough to tour Central Europe and have the experience on numerous occasions of dining with complete strangers, often people with whom we didn't share a language, yet we always have come away with a wonderful, happy experience. So, my advice to those going to the Biergarten: get over it, ENJOY it for Pete's sake! You're on vacation!

5) Quality, appearance, and taste of the food was uniformly excellent. Sauerkraut, Red cabbage, Spatzle, a variety of sausages, a station where a delicious pork roast or German meat loaf was sliced to order. Need I mention the bread was delicious.

6) Beer (oh, yah, the beer gets a seperate item). My wife had a half-liter of Franziskaner Hefeweizen, while I imbibed a massbier** of Spaten Optimator. Both tasted just like they had been drawn in a beer hall in downtown München, where we enjoyed them last Fall.

7) Entertainment. We weren't expecting it in the early afternoon, but a 4-man German band appeared and conducted an uproarious and fun 45-minute show, with audience interaction. A great feature, and the best part was when all the little kids got out on the dance floor and cut a rug when they played the waltzes and polkas.

8) The tab: right at $70 before gratuity; we tipped 20%, feeling that the service was great. The cost was steep for lunch, no question....but the kicker is that that meal stayed with us so long that we could only manage an ice cream cone around bedtime!

* "Hell is other people." (roughly)
** the big boy = 1 liter.
rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
SnwflkCts
I wanna go back ... when can I go back???

Loved your review!!

I am not a very adventurous eater ... and not sure I would like the choices here ... though I like spatzle, cabbage and BEER!! I've not been in many places that seat family style but I am pretty friendly -- if my tablemates are. Of course, give me a "big boy" and I might be dancing with those children!
DH, me, DCats: Maddie (12), Peanut Butter (12), Jelly Bean (7), Snowflake RIP 1/2010@19 yrs & Baby Button@2 yrs in 11/2011 - Feb 06 Poly; Nov 06 Poly (21st Wedding Ann.); Feb 09 Poly; Feb 10 Poly Second Dining Report 2/07/2010 thru 2/12/2010
SnwflkCts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Great review!
chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Splat25
DVC Owner AKV & BLT

Nice review, sounds just like my April visit! It would have been really cool if my daughter could have danced out there with htem, but they wen't doing that when I was there. We all had a great time and it sounds like you did as well!

Splat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for posting.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your review. We will be trying this in Oct.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
LuvMickey36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnwflkCts View Post
Loved your review!!

I am not a very adventurous eater ... and not sure I would like the choices here ... though I like spatzle, cabbage and BEER!! I've not been in many places that seat family style but I am pretty friendly -- if my tablemates are. Of course, give me a "big boy" and I might be dancing with those children!
I am a very picky eater & can always find great things @ the Biergarten!!! Take the plunge & try it out!!

Harry Potter here we come! 4/17-23/11!!!

Been to the mouse house over 100+ times since 1971.[/SIZE][/FONT]
LuvMickey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
MaryPop888
Earning My Ears

Thanks...I enjoyed reading this! We'll be there in August for dinner. Can't wait!

April 1998: Off-Site
August 2008: POFQ
August 2009: SSR
MaryPop888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Dana49
No longer lonely without a tag
The TF's think you like your beer ;-)
If you love the magic, you'll never be too old

Lunch or dinner, Biergarten is a great dining spot. Thanks for the review.

"It's funny what happens when you become a grandparent. You start to act all goofy and do things you never thought you'd do. It's terrific." - Mike Krzyzewski
Dana49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
catne
DIS Veteran

Great review, and agree with #4! boy, o, boy...I wish people would pay attention when they explain the seating concepts at Biergarten. Cuz it can really put a damper on the fun when your tablemates are disapproving...last year, DH & I both had Beer...one family at our table really made faces when they saw our beer being served (heaven forbid that you'd order beer in a beer garden restaurant! How UNUSUAL! ) The other family, an elderly couple, actually rearranged their chair placement (as far away from the middle family as possible) and scootched their dishes/utensils down to the very end--to the point their stuff was almost falling off the table!

But our food was good & the entertainment was fun!
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

Biergarten is one of my very favorites. We try to hit it for lunch once per trip. I love everything on the buffet. This year DD turned 21 during the trip so got to join DH in sampling the beer flight! Such a bonding experience!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: