Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 7

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Day 7 – Islands and Adventure

Thursday 17th April

It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here almost a week already. Today we’re off to Islands of Adventure. After the usual morning routine – shower, dress, stuff a croissant down my neck and wait for the in-laws to finish their 3-course breakfast – we’re in the car by 8:15 and off to the I4. We arrive at the parking lot around 8:40 and pay the $5 for preferred parking (as we’re Annual Passholders). We park up in Cat in the Hat 18 and head off, down the moving walkways. Gary takes a separate walkway to us and has us in stitches, pretending he’s going down a staircase (a la Austin Powers) and stopping behind a pillar so it looks as though he’s disappeared. Doesn’t sound very funny now – I guess you had to be there

We arrive at City Walk and the in-laws comment on how loud it is compared to Disney. And it’s true – everything is more ‘in your face’ here but I like it. It never fails to put a smile on my face, moving down the walkways with the music blaring. At the junction, we note that not many people are turning right towards Universal and consider, for a moment, whether to head there instead. But Daniel is so excited about the prospect of seeing Spiderman that we don’t dare incur his wrath and so we continue straight on to Islands of Adventure. We do will-call to pick up our tickets (purchased through Dreams Unlimited) but for some reason I can’t pick up Gary’s Annual Pass. After a quick stop at the Guest Services window, we have all our tickets and are entering the park.

First stop is the mighty Hulk. Chuck takes the bags while Rea, Daniel and Reeny head off to Storm Force Accelatron and Sian, Gary and I enter the line for the Hulk coaster. There is quite a wait as the coaster has obviously not been up and running very long but it’s not too long before we’re strapped in to the back row and off we go. Fantastic, as usual. We debate whether to ride again, as we would normally, but decide it’s not fair to keep the others waiting and so, instead, we head for Spiderman. This is one of the few rides where we all get on and I’m excited to see how Daniel takes to it. He does rally enjoy it although some of the bits were a little intense for him. I suspect if we’d had time to ride again he would have enjoyed it more. Mother and Charles liked it though and thought it was really cleverly done.

Unfortunately, it was too early to meet the real Spiderman just yet so, with a promise to Daniel that we would return, we wandered over to Seuss Landing, where we rode One Fish, Two Fish (all except Gary), Cat in the Hat (all of us) and the High in the Sky Trolley Ride (again, all of us). We also took the opportunity to explore If I Ran the Zoo, which we have never done before.

Next, it was on to the Lost Continent where we despatched Chuck and Reeny to Poseidon’s Adventure while me, Gary and the kids went to Duelling Dragons. Rea and Daniel were going to ride the Flying Unicorn but, at the last minute, Daniel decided to be awkward and insisted on coming with me so Rea stayed to look at the shops. We did child swap on Duelling Dragons, which worked really well. Sian and I rode first, while Gary waited and then Gary and I went on together and Sian waited with Daniel. When it was our turn, Gary and I ended up on the front of ‘ice’ – it was absolutely brilliant! We then did the same for ‘fire’ although we didn’t get on the front this time. Then it was back through Lost Continent to meet Chuck and Reeny at Mythos, where we were having lunch. We spotted Sinbad and his gang on the way, they gave Daniel a gold coin and the kids posed for a picture.

At Mythos, we waited about 10 minutes to be seated, which is the first wait we have ever had here. We were sat in a large booth, with a great view out of the window and across the lake to Marvel Super Hero Island. Our server was great and, within minutes, we’d placed our order and got drinks and a basket of lovely bread. I braved the disapproving glances and comments and ordered myself a proper drink (some kind of vodka, lemonade and raspberry concoction), which was absolutely delicious.

The food was served quite quickly and was just as good as ever. Chuck and Reeny shared a salmon dish (I managed to hold my curb my desire to say ‘Oh, you’re in the mood for salmon today then’), Gary had the oriental chicken salad, Sian had a tomato and mozzarella flatbread (although I think she was unprepared for the slices of tomato and had to pick it all off), Daniel had chicken fingers and Rea and I shared a chicken sandwich.

Nobody wanted dessert except Daniel so we ordered ice cream for him. Charles ordered a coffee and, at the last minute, out of curiosity more than anything else, Gary and I decided to try the kids’ rice krispie sushi. I was in the toilet when it came but Gary, being the well-trained DIS husband as he is, had taken a picture for me. I only tasted a little bit but didn’t like the sauce that was with it. Gary and the girls managed to polish it off quite nicely though.

After I’d paid the check ($118 inc tip and 15% passholder discount), we decided to brave a water ride. We bypassed Camp Jurassic, after seeing the 55 minute wait for Pteranadon Flyers, although we took time out to get a picture of the kids looking terrified in front of the T Rex - no prizes for acting abilities here!

There was a 50 minute wait for Dudley Do-Right's so we went straight to Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges. Chuck, Reeny and Daniel opted out at this stage and went to explore Me Ship the Olive while we rode the barges and got absolutely drenched.

Next, it was off in search of Spiderman. There was about a 20-minute wait to see him as he had to go off and do a mini parade with the other super heroes but it was well worth it. He spent ages talking to Daniel, who told him he wanted to be a super hero when he grew up. Daniel was wearing a Spiderman t-shirt that I’d bought him before the holiday, which Spiderman offered to sign if he would like. Despite the fact that it was brand new, we couldn’t pass up an opportunity like that so, after posing for a picture, Spidey signed Daniel’s shirt. He also told him that, when Daniel grew up and became a super hero, Spidey would wear a Daniel t-shirt, which made his day.

We’d seen everything we wanted to so we went back to buy some yummy treats from the sweet shop in Seuss Landing. Rea and Daniel had a picture with Cat in the Hat and Sian tried on a wig.

We walked back to the car - all except a tired Daniel who bagged himself a lift!

We were back at VWL by 5 o’clock. Chuck, Reeny and the kids went down to the pool so Gary and I could pack, as we were moving to Old Key West the next day. After we finished the packing, we popped down to Roaring Fork for some dinner and then had a quiet evening watching TV. We have an early start in the morning!
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Wow ! what a great day especially for daniel Matthew is very impressed that spidey signed daniels t shirt

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a brilliant day Joh. We love The Hulk and Duelling Dragons too

It sounds like Daniel had a fab time

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Another excellent day.How cool of Spidey to sign Daniel's top-is the sig still good on it? The food at Mythos looks great,we have never eaten there and are seriously thinking about doing it next year-also i heard they close at 3pm now+no longer do dinner ?.Love the pics.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Cool pictures of Daniel and Spidey!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great day and brilliant piccies of Daniel and Spiderman

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

The interaction with Spiderman sounded wonderful, how cool he signed his shirt
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Lovely piccies of Daniel & Spidey.

Another great day Joh.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Tora Millypoops
Cleaning my Ears

Another great trip report. I can't wait to read the rest.

Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction.

1998-May-Sequoia Lodge-DLP; 1999-May-Newport Bay-DLP; 2001-March-Disney's Allstars Movies Resort-WDW; 2003-March-Holiday Inn-I Drive; 2006-April-Port Orleans French Quarter-WDW; 2007-October-Saratoga Springs Resort-WDW; 2008-October-Saratoga Springs/Boardwalk Villas&Vero Beach-WDW; 2009-Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Villas

Tora Millypoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
stephensmum
DIS Veteran

How cool for Daniel to have his T shirt signed, How patient are you with mum in law. Been to Benidorm with mine, boy did I have to bite my tongue.

International Drive Aug 1991
Kissimee Sept 1996
All Star Movies Aug 2005
POFQ May 2007
CBR Aug 2008
SSR Aug 2009
SSR Aug 2010
SSR Aug 2012
stephensmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Fun to read report of a happy non-Disney day (can you even imagine?!).
Loved the photos, but have to say ("have to" because I'm a children's librarian, therefore a sworn keeper of Dr. Seuss' legacy) that Ria and Daniel were posing with the mean old Mr. Grinch in the photo you posted. You may indeed have gotten a shot of them with Cat in the Hat, you just didn't show us.
SusanEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Another great day and lucky Daniel having his T/shirt signed. Was you allowed to wash it when you got home
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

wow lucky you, this time next year we'll be there

glad youre having a great time
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

another fantastic day

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

lovely day . nice to escape disney sometimes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: