Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
Disney Baby
Disney Baby
 
Disney Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruiser2008 View Post
One of the few things you can't do in SBC+ is tear paper... I wrote CM and asked them to add this feature -- they said they are working on it. In the meantime, this is a cool little site -- she makes paper tear templates in .png format -- so you can import them in and have "tears" on your LOs. I also bought the torn alpha -- thought it was kind of fun.

http://www.digitalpapertearing.com/s...ain_page=index
I am not sure if you have tried this - but you can take a torn piece of paper - recolor it white and then copy it - change the copy to the piece of paper that you want and offset it over the white piece and it looks torn - does that make sense?
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
I am not sure if you have tried this - but you can take a torn piece of paper - recolor it white and then copy it - change the copy to the piece of paper that you want and offset it over the white piece and it looks torn - does that make sense?
OMG -- That makes perfect sense -- I will have to try that -- GREAT idea.
__________________
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
Lesley
DIS Veteran
 
Lesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 3,187

I'm new to digital scrapbooking and using SBC+. I love the idea of sharing tips though I don't really have any to add at the moment.

I'm curious about how you bring a paper tearing template into SBC+. I know how to bring in my own papers and embellishments (or I should say, those by talented non-CM designers) but I have no idea how I'd bring in a template. Paper tearing is one thing I'd love to have! And I'm not sure if I get the thing about taking a torn piece of paper- are you saying if you have an embellishment that's a torn piece of paper you can change it to look like another patterned paper? How does that work?
__________________
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
Disney Baby
Disney Baby
 
Disney Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
I'm new to digital scrapbooking and using SBC+. I love the idea of sharing tips though I don't really have any to add at the moment.

I'm curious about how you bring a paper tearing template into SBC+. I know how to bring in my own papers and embellishments (or I should say, those by talented non-CM designers) but I have no idea how I'd bring in a template. Paper tearing is one thing I'd love to have! And I'm not sure if I get the thing about taking a torn piece of paper- are you saying if you have an embellishment that's a torn piece of paper you can change it to look like another patterned paper? How does that work?
Hi Lesley,

You can take the embellishment and click on it and then either
1) Go to tools ribbon and pick a piece of paper from the "paper" option or
2) Go to papers on the right side and use the drop downon the desired element "fill selected shape".

I hope this helps!
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #20
Lesley
DIS Veteran
 
Lesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 3,187

I tried the test template from the link for paper tearing and was able to make it work. Took a bit of playing around with the magic wand (which I still don't quite "get"). But with it I was able to cut out the "torn" edge from the paper, erase any leftovers, then put the white back over it to make it look like a white torn edge. Is that how its done?

Sure would be nice if CM would throw in a tearing tool.
__________________
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
Lesley
DIS Veteran
 
Lesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 3,187

We must have posted at the same time. I think I see what you're saying now.

I do have a tip now that I've been playing around a bit with the torn paper and manipulating other elements. The other day I was having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to use something like a paperclip so that the proper part of the paperclip didn't show. While I was playing around I figured out that I can cut out the piece of the paperclip that's supposed to be under the paper. It takes a little playing around to get it perfect, but it can be done! You just select the object, then go to cutting tools. I discovered the paper fill option while playing around with this too....and I figured out how the heck I was supposed to use those alphabets that come as one sheet rather than as individual letters- pop up the whole thing then cut out the individual letters you want by choosing "copy shaded area".

I'm much more pleased with the program now that I'm finding that I really can do all the things I want to do with it (except maybe design my own papers and elements....)
__________________
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
.and I figured out how the heck I was supposed to use those alphabets that come as one sheet rather than as individual letters- pop up the whole thing then cut out the individual letters you want by choosing "copy shaded area".
I just figured that out the other day, too! Now I kind of like those one-sheet alphas!

I figure if I ever really want to get into making my own papers and elements, I can use PSE for that and then still import the stuff into SBC+! I really like the interface and the way they have the tool set up.

Anyone have any tips for that magic wand tool? I have yet to use it. What is it useful for?
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
Lesley
DIS Veteran
 
Lesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 3,187

I used it to trim away excess when using the paper tearing template. I put the tear on top of my piece of paper, then used the magic wand to erase the tear. Then I (at least most of the time) could use the magic wand to erase the paper on the side of the tear I didn't want. When that didn't work I used the straight line cutter to cut most of it away then I was able to clean up the edge with the magic wand. Oh, and then I put the white torn paper edge back on. If I had resized the torn edge I'd want to have made a copy of it before erasing it.

Take a look at the instructions for making custom fancy text, as I found them to illustrate the possibilities of the magic wand much better than the regular instructions. But I'd love to hear what others can do with it.
__________________
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #24
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post

Take a look at the instructions for making custom fancy text, as I found them to illustrate the possibilities of the magic wand much better than the regular instructions. But I'd love to hear what others can do with it.
Hmmm...are these directions IN SBC+ somewhere? I guess it would help if I had checked ANY of these directions out at some point!!
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #25
Lesley
DIS Veteran
 
Lesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 3,187

You can get some instructions for the various tools by clicking on the ? icon on the upper right. They're inadequate, but it's something. They usually help me get some small idea of what I can do with a tool.
__________________
Lesley
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #26
tabentz
Earning My Ears
 
tabentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Illinois
Posts: 32

Thanks!

Jessica thanks so much for starting this thread! I purchased SBC+ after failing to figure out PSE! SBC is much more user friendly but I am a totally newbie to it all! If you find out how to make/import templates that would be great!!!


Tiffany
tabentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission
 
labdogs42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 6,458

A lady I know from another message board (ScrapShare) made these awesome templates that can be used in SBC+. She took sketches made by another board member (Amy, goes by the Screen name Amsway) and turned them into digital templates for SBC+. If you save the files in your StoryBooks folder and then open them as a project in SBC+, you can place your photos and papers into them just like templates in PSE, only easier! You should save a copy of the templates before using them, so you don't copy over the blanks. You can also import tese templates one at a time into a current project. If you use these, please give credit to the creators by crediting "SBC+ template created by angijon712 from a sketch by Amsway". That should cover it for now. These ladies made these file for free sharing and enjoying, so please make sure to give them credit for their work. Here is the link to the files. Give them a try!
SBC+ Templates from Amsway sketches Password is amsway. Enjoy!
__________________
Jessica . View my Disney Digital Scrapbook HERE

Last edited by labdogs42; 05-25-2008 at 07:51 PM.
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
Disney Baby
Disney Baby
 
Disney Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 332

The Magic Wand

I use the magic wand all the time to isolate individual elements or cut the background out of a picture. The first thing that I do is isolate the element that I want by going to the tools ribbon and using the rectangle or oval to cut it out as close to the element as possible. Then I use the rectangle or oval again to "blot" around the element to cut out as much of the background as possible. I then either zoom into the element at least 200% or enlarge it temporarily. I then use the magic wand to elminate the excess - as the "ants" go around - I keep clicking until the area that I want to cut out is surrounded. I usually do the right side first - then the top - left side - then bottom. I have found that when I get overzealous - I will click in the wrong place and have to start over. If I am having a hard time cleaning it all up - I use the custom shape tool to eliminate the rest. There is an introduction to it on the Advanced Tecqniques webinar on the CM website.

It sounds like a long process but it goes quickly!
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #29
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
A lady I know from another message board (ScrapShare) made these awesome templates that can be used in SBC+. She took sketches made by another board member (Amy, goes by the Screen name Amsway) and turned them into digital templates for SBC+. If you save the files in your StoryBooks folder and then open them as a project in SBC+, you can place your photos and papers into them just like templates in PSE, only easier! You should save a copy of the templates before using them, so you don't copy over the blanks. You can also import tese templates one at a time into a current project. If you use these, please give credit to the creators by crediting "SBC+ template created by angijon712 from a sketch by Amsway". That should cover it for now. These ladies made these file for free sharing and enjoying, so please make sure to give them credit for their work. Here is the link to the files. Give them a try!
SBC+ Templates from Amsway sketches Password is amsway. Enjoy!

WOW!!!! That is sooooo cool! I downloaded them and imported them in w/o a problem. Thanks so much, Jessica. Do these ladies have a blog or anything? I'd love to say thanks!
__________________
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #30
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
I use the magic wand all the time to isolate individual elements or cut the background out of a picture. The first thing that I do is isolate the element that I want by going to the tools ribbon and using the rectangle or oval to cut it out as close to the element as possible. Then I use the rectangle or oval again to "blot" around the element to cut out as much of the background as possible. I then either zoom into the element at least 200% or enlarge it temporarily. I then use the magic wand to elminate the excess - as the "ants" go around - I keep clicking until the area that I want to cut out is surrounded. I usually do the right side first - then the top - left side - then bottom. I have found that when I get overzealous - I will click in the wrong place and have to start over. If I am having a hard time cleaning it all up - I use the custom shape tool to eliminate the rest. There is an introduction to it on the Advanced Tecqniques webinar on the CM website.

It sounds like a long process but it goes quickly!

Thanks for the help. I haven't figured out the whole wand thing yet -- it's on my "things to figure out list!"
__________________
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: