Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #151
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

What would be really cool is if Dawn got to do her whole presentation uninterrupted, and then they had another 1/2 hour added on for questions!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #152
cruisecrzy
DIS Veteran

You ae definately right about it seemed like there was one more thing, but I am glad she allowed questions and that she had someone else fielding them.

For if she had not answered the torn edge question I would not have learned her technique for it.

On the other hand I have seen the answer to the Mac question...At this time they have decided not to produce a Mac version since there are parallels that allow work arounds. I guess it was discussed in depth at convention last week. Sorry for the Mac folks!!!

Disney Magic March 2002, March 2003, Nov 2003, March 2004, Nov 2005, March 2006, Nov 2006, April 2007, Halloween 2007 , March 2008, November 2008, April 2009, November 2009, April 2010 Wonder July 2009
cruisecrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #153
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrzy View Post
You ae definately right about it seemed like there was one more thing, but I am glad she allowed questions and that she had someone else fielding them.

For if she had not answered the torn edge question I would not have learned her technique for it.

On the other hand I have seen the answer to the Mac question...At this time they have decided not to produce a Mac version since there are parallels that allow work arounds. I guess it was discussed in depth at convention last week. Sorry for the Mac folks!!!
It really is too bad because as a Mac user who really wants to go to SBC+ it just isn't going to happen.

I'm not spending $80 on Parallels, plus another $200 to buy a full version of Windows in order to buy their software. It also only works on the Intel Macs which means people need machines less than 2 years old. Anyone with an older Mac is out of luck.

I'm actually on an older Mac so I'd have to first spend at least $1500 to get a machine capable of even running parallels.

Also in Parallels you may have to copy your photo library to the Windows side which would take up more hard drive space. I need to check on DH's lap top.

Yes, there is a work around but a pretty clunky one that is cost prohibitive for most people.

It is a shame really because I would switch to their software in a heartbeat. And likely purchase everything digital they have. I'm just not willing to give up my Mac. Mac people don't want to work in Windows.

I guess I'm off to send them another email expressing my disappointment. Not that it'll matter.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #154
cruisecrzy
DIS Veteran

I think it would be a great idea to send them an email. Let them see that there is an interest out there.

And thanks for the eduation on what those parallels would cost.

Disney Magic March 2002, March 2003, Nov 2003, March 2004, Nov 2005, March 2006, Nov 2006, April 2007, Halloween 2007 , March 2008, November 2008, April 2009, November 2009, April 2010 Wonder July 2009
cruisecrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #155
Disney Baby
Disney Baby

QuiltyMom - I am totally scraplifting your NEMO page (if you don't mind)- I took pictures of that and I tried to use it as a background and it kind worked - using the extracted pieces is perfect!! I also like the paper you used for Mushu. I had another one of those moments where I said to myself - "I have that - why didn't I use that - it is perfect for that!"

DisneyCruiser2008 - I get frustrated with the wand too! I find that if I blow up the view to 200% - it really helps me see where I am clicking Also play with the color and intensity sensitivities - when I extract signatures - I put of them down to 0 and then pick cut around the selected area - making a postive and negative signature. BTW, your layout are wonderful - even without the use of the wand.
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #156
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
QuiltyMom - I am totally scraplifting your NEMO page (if you don't mind)- I took pictures of that and I tried to use it as a background and it kind worked - using the extracted pieces is perfect!! I also like the paper you used for Mushu. I had another one of those moments where I said to myself - "I have that - why didn't I use that - it is perfect for that!"
Nope - I don't mind at all! If it helps you get a page completed, then all the better. I don't know what I would be doing if I didn't have ideas to glean from. I think that I'd be stuck a lot more than I already am!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #157
labdogs42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
It really is too bad because as a Mac user who really wants to go to SBC+ it just isn't going to happen.

I'm not spending $80 on Parallels, plus another $200 to buy a full version of Windows in order to buy their software. It also only works on the Intel Macs which means people need machines less than 2 years old. Anyone with an older Mac is out of luck.

I'm actually on an older Mac so I'd have to first spend at least $1500 to get a machine capable of even running parallels.

Also in Parallels you may have to copy your photo library to the Windows side which would take up more hard drive space. I need to check on DH's lap top.

Yes, there is a work around but a pretty clunky one that is cost prohibitive for most people.

It is a shame really because I would switch to their software in a heartbeat. And likely purchase everything digital they have. I'm just not willing to give up my Mac. Mac people don't want to work in Windows.

I guess I'm off to send them another email expressing my disappointment. Not that it'll matter.
That's a bummer. You'd be better off buying one of those $400 laptops on sale at black Friday just to run your SBC+ software! Dumb reason to buy a computer but cheaper than the current solution!! They really should make a MAc version.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #158
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrzy View Post
I think it would be a great idea to send them an email. Let them see that there is an interest out there.

And thanks for the eduation on what those parallels would cost.
Parallels is actually a 3rd party software that lets you run Windows on an intel based Mac. So in addition to having an intel based Mac you need to purchase the Parallels software and then purchase a full copy of Windows.

Intel Macs do come with an emulation software called BootCamp for free but with BootCamp you have the choice to run Mac OSX or Windows and can't switch between the two without entirely rebooting the computer. In this situation I'm nearly positive that you'd have to put your photos in both the Mac portion and the Windows portion of your computer.

Parallels allows you to run Windows and Mac OSX at the same time. Because you can drag and drop files from one operating system to the other I'm not 100% certain that you'd have to have duplicates of all the images. DH runs Parallels on his Mac Book pro so I am going to look into if you have to have duplicate files or not. He works in audio and webdesign and I can't imagine he has two sets of files and have any hard disk space left.

Of the two, running Windows in Parallels is oddly more stable than in BootCamp.

The Parallels site http://www.parallels.com/en/desktop/ show how the software works in case anyone is thinking of going this route.

I'd also be curious to know your results if you do try running SBC+ in Parallels.

I'm not planning on upgrading my desktop right now so it isn't an option for me. I guess I could use DH's laptop or DS's enormous PC but that just seems like more trouble than it is worth.

I really hate to harp on this here but I am REALLY disappointed. Hopefully someone else can use their work around. But remember even CM says that while it works, it isn't officially supported by them.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #159
jesters
Mouseketeer

Just downloaded my SBC+ and playing around. I noticed there are very limited fonts. I know where I can get some great fonts, but how do you get them into the SBC+ program?

And if I purchase some QP's from SM, how do I get those into the program? Just import as a page or as a .png or what?

Thanks for any help for this SBC+ newbie!

DL 1987, WDW CR Oct. 2003, WDW CBR Jan. 2004, WDW WL Jan. 2006, DCL Wonder, Nick Hotel & MNSSHP October 2006
Swan Hotel May 2007 Anniversary Trip, DCL Wonder, Dolphin & WDW Thanksgiving 2007, WDW CR Aug. 2008
DCL Wonder & WDW SOG Sept. 2008, WDW CR Sept. 2009, WDW POFQ Mar. 2010 Girls Weekend, RCCL FOS & HRH Universal July 2010
WDW POFQ May 2012, WDW POFQ June 2013
jesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #160
Disney Baby
Disney Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesters View Post
Just downloaded my SBC+ and playing around. I noticed there are very limited fonts. I know where I can get some great fonts, but how do you get them into the SBC+ program?

And if I purchase some QP's from SM, how do I get those into the program? Just import as a page or as a .png or what?

Hello! Any TRUE TYPE font that you bring in will be available in SBC+. If you use the control panel and install the font correctly - it should show up when you open SBC+.

When you buy stuff or download freebies - you can use them two ways.

1) you can drag and drop them from another window if you know that you will only use it once in a while

or

2) you can bring the elements into MY STUFF as a paper or embellishment.

In the first screen - if you go to MY STUFF under the HOME tab and go to File - add a collection and then Content - Add Paper or Add Embellishment - it will allow you to pull it from where you saved it on your computer - just keep in mind that you need to make sure that the file is unzipped.

I hope that helps! - if not - you can PM me and I will walk you through
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #161
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesters View Post

You don't have to bring the fonts into SBC+.... if you DL them and install them onto your PC, they will be available to use on SBC+. I have Windows Vista, so to DL a font, I just DL it, extract the file like I do anything else, right click on the file and click "install" and they come in. When I DL a new font, I have noticed I have to shut down SBC+ and reopen it before the font is available to use. I'm not sure if it's the same process if you don't have Vista -- someone else may want to chime in here.

For the QPs, you can literally drag and drop them ono your SBC+ page from the file on your computer as you want to use them (you can do that with any papers or elements.) You can also create your own collections of non-CM goodies under "Home" - "My Stuff." When I buy a kit that has quick pages, I bring them in with the papers so they are there when I want them. I have close to 100 of my own Collections in SBC+ now.
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #162
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

DisneyBaby and I were posting at the same time .... See -- there's lots of help available on here.
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #163
labdogs42

I use the free software "The Font Thing" to organize and install my fonts. It is awesome and super easy!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #164
CLS_Dreams
Be nice or I'll crop you out of my photos

The Webinar Was Great!

I really got a lot out of the webinar this morning. How awesome is it that this kind of training us available! I was surprised that it was not published on the Creative Memories website so more people could enjoy it, I was so lucky to find out about it through this message board.

Thanks to all for sharing the information about it and reminding us that it was coming up.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #165
labdogs42

This isn't really a finished layout, and I didn't have my EHD hooked up to the computer when I whipped this up, so I didn't have much to work with, but it shows a couple of the things I learned about today (welding the words to the picture and using gradients). I also hadn't noticed that cute dot swirly shape before, so I threw it on there, too!

Last edited by labdogs42; 08-07-2008 at 08:49 PM.
labdogs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: