Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #136
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdogs42 View Post
Anyone have any tips for that magic wand tool? I have yet to use it. What is it useful for?
I've been playing around a lot with the magic wand tool, with mixed results. One of the things that I've been having fun with is isolating items from my photos to add to a layout. Here are three LOs where it worked extremely well.

Here, I used the tool on the photo in the bottom right corner to delete the sky. The sky was completely white anyway, and I thought it looked horrid. So one click with the wand and it was gone.

I hope that this gives you some ideas.
This one took me by surprise. I wanted to use the photo in the LO, but there wasn't any more room. I used the tool to isolate Bruce & the fish, then plopped them down into the LO.

Tip: Copy only one element at a time, unless you want the various elements to stay the way they are in the photograph. For example, the fish on the top right - I wanted to move the purple fish elsewhere, but since I had copied them at the same time, they are the same element - you cannot ungroup it. Even though it takes more steps, you will get more flexibility copying each element separately if you wish to move them around. (Make sense?)

Here is what the original photo looked like, to give you an idea what I did:

Now, I think that it's a rather boring photo, and I like the way I used it much better!

The last one was this:

Here I used the tool to copy Mushu's autograph from a PhotoPass pic. I didn't want it on the photo, so being able to use the tool to make it an element of its own was great.

I hope that some of these ideas help!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #137
bsquare
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone,
I'm coming out of lurkdom just for this thread! My CM consultant is supposed to be at my door any minute now to deliver my SBC+. I am so excited to get started. I'm going to try to get in on the webinar - if not tomorrow then next week.

Jessica, I love your layouts. And I'd love to know what camera you use to get such great night shots of the parades.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #138
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquare View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm coming out of lurkdom just for this thread! My CM consultant is supposed to be at my door any minute now to deliver my SBC+. I am so excited to get started. I'm going to try to get in on the webinar - if not tomorrow then next week.

Jessica, I love your layouts. And I'd love to know what camera you use to get such great night shots of the parades.

FYI -- The current webinar is for advanced SBC+ users, so you might want to do the webinars on the Cm site to get you prepared for tomorrow's class. I'd sign up for next week to give yourself some time to learn SBC+ a little bit first.

Glad you like my LO's! I have a Canon 20D dSLR and I used my 18-55 f 2.8 lens to take most of the night shots. I'm still learning a lot about using the camera, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it! I can't wait to go back to Disney this fall and try and take some more night shots!

quiltymom-- great idea about isolating Bruce and the fishies! I will be scraplifting that for sure!

I really wish SBC+ had that stroke outline tool to make things into stickers with a white outline. Let's all suggest it to CM, so we can get it, ok?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #139
Emerson613
Mouseketeer

I totally feel a scraplift coming on!!!

Quiltymom- AWESOME!
and you did that all in SBC+ huh?

Totally awesome! I can not wait to get that good-
AND Love the LOs too----

can i can i mom please----- can i scraplift!
Emerson613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #140
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!

Quote:
quiltymom-- great idea about isolating Bruce and the fishies! I will be scraplifting that for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson613 View Post
Quiltymom- AWESOME!
and you did that all in SBC+ huh?

Totally awesome! I can not wait to get that good-
AND Love the LOs too----

can i can i mom please----- can i scraplift!
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes - you can scraplift all you want! And yup, it's all done with SBC+ and all CM products (I'm a CMC, so that's all I use). If you want more details on what I did, let me know and I'll try to remember how I did it!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #141
cruisecrzy
DIS Veteran

Labdogs42 I think Quiltymom gave you the greatest wand tips there are. One of the recorded webinars goes through step by step on how to use it. It is the one about .pngs. Beware if you are used to photoshop I find this not as user friendly as the photoshop wand. I agree with the tools that would make SBC+ even better.

And yes I am on the 10am one.

Disney Magic March 2002, March 2003, Nov 2003, March 2004, Nov 2005, March 2006, Nov 2006, April 2007, Halloween 2007 , March 2008, November 2008, April 2009, November 2009, April 2010 Wonder July 2009
cruisecrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #142
cruisecrzy
DIS Veteran

CM Webinar

If you did not have teh chance to go to the one this morning try to make another.

There were a few cool tricks they taught. I also learned a different way to do torn edge and she said one of the upgrades down the road will have a torn edge tool so that is exciting.

I thought it was well worth the hour of my time....so if you can do it I would.

Disney Magic March 2002, March 2003, Nov 2003, March 2004, Nov 2005, March 2006, Nov 2006, April 2007, Halloween 2007 , March 2008, November 2008, April 2009, November 2009, April 2010 Wonder July 2009
cruisecrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #143
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!

I agree - it was good! It seems like no matter how much you know about SBC+, there is always tons more to learn!

I did like the example of adding words to the bottom of the photo. I'm going to have to try that!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #144
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrzy View Post
If you did not have teh chance to go to the one this morning try to make another.

There were a few cool tricks they taught. I also learned a different way to do torn edge and she said one of the upgrades down the road will have a torn edge tool so that is exciting.

I thought it was well worth the hour of my time....so if you can do it I would.
Oh man -- I missed it.... It's so hard to commit to an hour of uninterrupted time with a 2 and 5 year old running amuck. I wonder if they will eventually put it on the CM site with the other webinars?

Besides tearing, what other topics did she touch upon?
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
DisneyCruiser2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #145
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I totally loved the webinar. It kind of makes me want to be a CMC again, but I'm not sure how that would work with sharing LOs online and stuff. I was a CMC a long time ago and I know they frowned on any internet advertising, etc. I'm not sure how that would work now with blogs, etc. Might be worth looking into, thought! I just love showing people how to use SBC+!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #146
Disney Baby
Disney Baby

CM Webinar

The webinar was good. Here are the topics that Dawn went over:

1) Filling type/font with picture or paper
2) Creating Reflective Type
3) Blending text with a photo
4) How to effective use the shape cutters
5) How to save a created element as a png file (by request)
6) How to create a torn edge

I believe that she had more to go over but there were a few questions that delayed the process. IMO, they should not allow questions during the presentation.

I do like seeing Dawn's pages and the new products that are not yet available.

The coolest part about SBC+ is that as they send out upgrades, I believe that they will add more tools that are requested like the tearing tool that Dawn mentioned.

So if you really want something - like labdogs42 sticker request - let's send them into CM!

It is worth the time I was doing house stuff while I was watching/listening.
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #147
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Baby View Post
The webinar was good. Here are the topics that Dawn went over:

1) Filling type/font with picture or paper
2) Creating Reflective Type
3) Blending text with a photo
4) How to effective use the shape cutters
5) How to save a created element as a png file (by request)
6) How to create a torn edge

I believe that she had more to go over but there were a few questions that delayed the process. IMO, they should not allow questions during the presentation.

I do like seeing Dawn's pages and the new products that are not yet available.

The coolest part about SBC+ is that as they send out upgrades, I believe that they will add more tools that are requested like the tearing tool that Dawn mentioned.

So if you really want something - like labdogs42 sticker request - let's send them into CM!

It is worth the time I was doing house stuff while I was watching/listening.
Thanks for the rundown, Disneybaby, it sounds like good info ... I'll have to try to catch one of the other ones.
*2001 WDW - CBR & DCL Bahamas Cruise (Disney Wonder) *2008 DCL 7 Night Mex. Riviera Cruise (Disney Magic) *June 2010 WDW 10 Day Trip - CBR and AKL *June 2011 DCL 7 Night Alaskan Cruise (Disney Wonder) *Disneyland - more times than I can count over the past 34 years!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #148
Disney Baby
Disney Baby

Quote:
I totally loved the webinar. It kind of makes me want to be a CMC again, but I'm not sure how that would work with sharing LOs online and stuff. I was a CMC a long time ago and I know they frowned on any internet advertising, etc. I'm not sure how that would work now with blogs, etc. Might be worth looking into, thought! I just love showing people how to use SBC+!

Jessica,

You should go for it. I am still a CMC and I am careful not to broadcast it too loudly on the boards but there is great joy in teaching SBC+. It is also great to get the stuff discounted.
Disney Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #149
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquare View Post
Hi Everyone,

WELCOME!! We look forward to having you join us here!!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #150
DisneyCruiser2008
DIS Veteran

QuiltyMom-- Love your pages... Your Nemo extractions are fantastic. My patience wear a little thin with the magic wand.... I think need more practice with it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: