Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 6

Wednesday 16th April

Today we were off to Sea World. Miraculously, I was not awake particularly early and, as a consequence, neither was anyone else. Nonetheless, we were ready by 8:30 and wandered downstairs to collect the car. We didn’t arrive at Sea World until 9, and then we had a slight confusion with the tickets. I had ordered them online and had them delivered to me at home before we left. However, each ticket said ‘Voucher’ on the back and stated you must present photo ID at first use. There was a window that said ‘Voucher exchange’ so we joined the massive line, only to get to the front some 20 minutes later to be told they were actual tickets and NOT vouchers. Not a great start. Then we had a delay trying to actually enter the park. There were bag checks, which was fine but Gary and Daniel went through the ‘No bags’ line and ended up miles behind us in the queue to get into the park. Finally, they managed to squeeze their way through and we were into the park just before 10 am. I have to say, here and now, this is not how I wanted to start the day – I am a die hard ‘be at park by opening’ person and it’s hard to convince me that the hour we spent in line to get in has not put us at a disadvantage. I know, I know, this was supposed to be a ‘take it easy’ trip but the commando park tourer in me rears its ugly head now and again.

Anyway, finally in the park, we were off to Kraken. Sensing my frustration, Gary suggested that he, Sian and I go on ahead and the others take a slow stroll and meet us outside. Surprisingly, the line for Kraken was not that long and we figured, as we were only going to ride once, we may as well wait for the front. And it was well worth the wait – I love the front of Kraken, at the crest of the first ascent, when it looks as though you’re going right over the edge. Fantastic! And my clever daughter managed to get a shot of us on the front too so we didn’t bother to buy the ride picture.

From Kraken, it was on to the Blue Horizons show, which was just about to start. We managed to find seats, however, we were in separate rows. Blue Horizons was actually better than I remembered. One of the Macaws at the end brushed right over the top of my head. We all really enjoyed this. Daniel loved the dolphins but wasn’t too fussed about the ‘people bits’.

Once the show was over, it was almost 11:15. Having missed breakfast, Gary suggested we should get an early lunch. When I told the in-laws, Reeny responded with ‘Lunch – we’ve only just had breakfast!’ Although I haven’t focussed too much on it over the last couple of trippies, there had been an awful lot of comments like this in previous days and my patience was wearing a little thin. I quite bluntly told her that it was her son’s idea and that if she had a problem, she should take it up with him. That solved that little problem and so, in search of lunch we went. I was aware of the fact that Chuck and Reeny were a little fed up of the ‘fries with everything’ style of eating we’d had so far so I suggested we went to the Seafire Inn. We checked out the menu outside but nobody seemed keen so off we went to Voyagers which, as well as pizza offers pastas, salmon, ribs and chicken. I know Mother is partial to salmon so, in order to make amends for being snappy earlier, I said ‘Look, Mother’ you can have salmon here’ to which she replied ‘Ugh, no, I don’t want salmon in this weather’. Commonly known as a no-win situation. I muttered something unrepeatable and stormed off to join the food line (which was huge by now as we’d faffed about so much over where we were going to eat).

Lunch was pretty dire – Gary and I shared chicken, while Rea had a kids macaroni cheese meal, Daniel settled for chicken also and Sian had pizza. Chuck and Reeny shared a pasta dish, which they both declared ‘delicious’. The chicken, however, was pretty dry and the chocolate milk that Daniel had with his meal was warm – yuck!

Next, it was off to the other side of the park for Wild Arctic and the big draw of the day, Shamu! As we were walking across the bridge over the lake, we heard an announcement that the 1:30 Shamu show was already full – at 12:45!!! We decided that, if we wanted to see the next one, we would need to be there early.

We were halfway across the bridge when we saw a mummy duck with her little ducklings and took a picture.

She was swimming along, minding her own business when all of a sudden a mean, nasty boy duck swam up and started attacking her. All the ducklings were crowding round and the mallard had her almost under the water - it was quite upsetting.

I couldn't bear to watch any more and walked off but Gary told me that another female had come up and, together, they'd fought off the nasty male duck, which I was very relieved about.

Over at Wild Arctic, me, Gary and the kids opted for the helicopter ride while Chuck and Reeny went on foot. After alighting from our flight, we saw the beluga whales which were absolutely beautiful. I don’t know why we hadn’t sent these on our previous visit but I didn’t remember them at all. The polar bear was fast asleep – at least he wasn’t pacing – and the walrus was just swimming backwards and forwards over and over.

I don’t know why it is but this part of Sea World always upsets me. I think it’s just because the animals don’t seem at all happy and seem to be very confined. I don’t feel like it about zoos, which is why I can’t understand it, but nonetheless, it bothers me. I was happy to leave and we did spend quite a bit of time in the shop, where Sian bought a snowglobe and Chuck bought a polar bear ornament. Rea bought herself a cuddly polar bear, which she promptly named Seymour (as in Seymour Bears ). This is not the bear she bought, by the way - we wouldn't have got him home.

Then it was off to the Shamu stadium, for Believe. This was a first for us, as we’ve only previously seen the old Shamu show. Daniel wanted to sit in the ‘soak zone’ but, funnily enough, no-one else did. We compromised and sat as close as we could get to the back of the zone, which Daniel was not happy about. I did explain to him that he would probably still get wet but he was not impressed. He continued to play up so I took him outside the stadium, sat him down and gave him a good talking to – basically told him that he had two choices, he could either behave himself, go back in and sit and watch the show or we would both sit there until the others came out and he would miss it all! Sensible child chose option number 1 so we rejoined the others and, thankfully, he decided to behave. Once we were settled, we still had almost an hour to wait so I went off to get some drinks and bought the kids an ice-cream each. Daniel had a Shamu bar – I’m not sure but he looks like he might be enjoying it.

We enjoyed Believe but I have to say, I wasn’t impressed by the ‘pull a kid out of the audience and give them a hand-carved whale’s tail (which you can buy in any of the shops)’ routine. It just seemed a bit twee. I did like the Shamu chant, though, and was still massively impressed by the sheer size of ‘Shamu’. When he did the splash the audience bit, Daniel was moaning that we weren’t getting wet and he wanted to go down the front. Being a mean Mum I wouldn’t let him – on the next round, though, Shamu got us both and we were drenched – Daniel promptly burst into tears as the salt water was stinging his legs (he had a bad attack of exzcema at the time).

We left the stadium with the rest of the crowd and made our way over to Shamu’s Happy Harbor. This is all new since the last time we visited and it is great for the kids. Rea and I took Daniel on a couple of the kids rides, then Daniel and Sian disappeared onto the massive play area. After about 15 minutes, we realised that we would have to step on it if we wanted to see Clyde and Seamore so I went to try and find the kids. It was really difficult to spot them as it is such a huge area and on several levels. One thing I would suggest if you let your kids go off and play in this area is to make them come back every 15 minutes or so, to check in, as it’s like trying to find a very small needle in a large haystack. Luckily, Sian was wearing a green skirt, which made them easier to spot and eventually I managed to let them know it was time to move on.

Over at the Sealion stadium, we found seats and sat down to enjoy the show. For me, the highlight of this show has always been (and remains to be) the pre-show mime artist. He is so funny but really near the mark sometimes. He didn’t disappoint and Chuck and Reeny found him highly amusing. The show itself was good as well but I think if you’ve seen it a few times, the jokes get a bit old hat.

Once the show was over, we decided we would look at a couple more things and then leave the park in search of food. Daniel wanted to see the sharks so we did that and we also saw the alligators and the manatees. After a brief stop at the Stingray lagoon, it was time to leave.

We had already decided we would like to go to Friendlys (it’s an old favourite of ours – and the girls) so we drove up International Drive and parked up outside. We were seated straight away as it was fairly early. The food was yummy and everyone agreed that we would have to come back here again.

Back at the Wilderness Lodge, we left the car with valet and went on up to the room where we had a quiet evening watching TV. I think the last few days had taken their toll on poor Chuck, who retired to bed just after Daniel, followed shortly afterwards by Mother. Me, Gary and the girls stayed up to watch a film about a fat girl who gets picked for Homecoming Queen – it was quite good – and then retired to bed too.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

What a great day Ellie quite fancies a go on Krakken great ride photo btw (well done Rea )

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great day

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
bristolphil
Earning My Ears

great report and pics look forward to next one
bristolphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another great day Joh. We haven't been to SeaWorld for years now, but we're going in the Summer just to ride Kraken. Is the sealion show still Clyde & Seamore take Pirate Island ? If so, then that's been going quite a few years now.

Thanks for sharing

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
Is the sealion show still Clyde & Seamore take Pirate Island ? If so, then that's been going quite a few years now.

Thanks for sharing
Yep, that's the one Mandy
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

a lovely day Joh, I love Seaworld, I hope to go back this year, I like to mutter about my in-laws under my breath too LOL
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Excellent day-i love your style of writing especially when it comes to 'Mother'.
We love Seaworld but also feel the same as you about the Polar Bear etc...Excellent Kraken photo,i will have to try that next year-instead of the red neck photo we got last time .Do you have any photo's of Shamu's Happy Harbour,exactly what is there Joh? This was'nt built the last time we went.Love the photo of Daniel tucking in to his Shamu ice-cream .That mime artist is great .
We wan't to try Friendly's next year-i have looked on there website+it sounds good but your pics make it look even better-what dishes were they Joh?.Can't wait for more of your trippie.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
Do you have any photo's of Shamu's Happy Harbour,exactly what is there Joh? This was'nt built the last time we went.
Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures but there is a Shamu coaster, a ride a bit like the teacups but it goes up in the air a little bit, an octopus-type ride and one other (can't remember what it was). There is also the play area, which consists of nets and tunnels (a bit like a soft play centre).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
We wan't to try Friendly's next year-i have looked on there website+it sounds good but your pics make it look even better-what dishes were they Joh?.Can't wait for more of your trippie.x.
The first one is the Honey BBQ Chicken Supermelt, the second is the oriental chicken salad and the third is the turkey club supermelt with no tomato. Friendlys is probably our favourite low-scale off site dining place. We have been several times now and never been disappointed. Their ice cream is to die for and this is my favourite thing of all time to have there - it's called an Oreo Freeze and it's basically thick chocolate shake mixed with crumbled oreo pieces and chocolate syrup, with more oreo pieces on top. An Oreo lovers dream

Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

I think you are doing a great job with the in-laws I would have cracked by now!

Excellent piccy of you on kraken.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

I always feel sad when I see the polar pacing After our last visit tho I looked on the net to see if there was anything about it and I read that the polar bears have a big area that we don't see and the viewing area is just a small area for us to watch them in, it said that the bears are rotated so that they don't spend loads of time in there. Hope this is true.

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Hi Joh

Loved the pictures, especially you all at the front of Kracken, abolsutely brilliant. Looking forward to Day 7!
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Tora Millypoops
Cleaning my Ears

Another great trip report. I loved the photos, and I can't wait to read more.

Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction.

1998-May-Sequoia Lodge-DLP; 1999-May-Newport Bay-DLP; 2001-March-Disney's Allstars Movies Resort-WDW; 2003-March-Holiday Inn-I Drive; 2006-April-Port Orleans French Quarter-WDW; 2007-October-Saratoga Springs Resort-WDW; 2008-October-Saratoga Springs/Boardwalk Villas&Vero Beach-WDW; 2009-Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Villas

Tora Millypoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Great Kraken picture
Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
this is my favourite thing of all time to have there - it's called an Oreo Freeze and it's basically thick chocolate shake mixed with crumbled oreo pieces and chocolate syrup, with more oreo pieces on top. An Oreo lovers dream

omg ! i have to try that put friendly's on our to do list Joh x

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: