Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

Marcia's Solo Trip to Pop, Apr-May 08, lots of pics! *updated 7/3 day 8*

So originally, I was supposed to take a solo trip to Pop in February of this year, but life got in the way, and I had to cancel. I was majorly bummed out! I had been planning for a long time, had all the ADRs I wanted, had all my meets planned out, just everything was perfect. Then boom. Life.

Compound this with the fact that two people from work were going to WDW during April, and you get a very unhappy Marcia! So in late March/early April, I started looking around, just putting my feelers out. I called up WDW, got an AP rate at Pop for April 30-May 7, booked a flight using Skymiles, and I was off and running! Got all my ADRs set too.

Then the Free Dining Offer came out. And I decided I needed to do that in September as well. And I was going to upgrade to Deluxe Dining! Well, fast forward a little bit, and my mom decides we need to take a family trip in August, so I needed to cancel my trip in Sept. But, I was majorly bummed about not getting to do the Deluxe (dining plan does *not* make sense for our family, btw). Quick call to Disney Dining, I switched a bunch of ADRs around, then transferred over to ressies and changed my Apr/May trip to the Deluxe Dining Plan!

So yay! The best of both worlds!

Of course, I planned my flights so that I arrived as early as possible on arrival day, and left as late as possible on departure day. Gotta squeeze in as much as possible. Oh, and if you hadn't figured out from my "AP rate" above, I have an Annual Pass. And I'm sure making the most of it!

So my flight left Newark on April 30 at about 6:30am. Had to get up around 4 or something, and my wonderful mother drove me to the airport (thanks mom!). When I had checked in online the night before, I got an exit row seat, which was excellent. Plenty of room. Like it mattered...I was so tired I slept the entire flight!

Landed around 9:15, made my way over to the Magical Express, and was first in line to go to Pop! I guess I should mention that I had made an ADR for Kona Cafe for b'fast at 11am. Yeah, I like to cut it close! But amazingly enough, the DME left a few minutes later,

here we are entering Disney property

and I was checking into Pop at 10:30am.

Since I had just switched to a package so close to my arrival date, it had been really rushed, complicated, whatever, so I forgot to mention my room request (which was on my original ressie - just asked for close to Classic Hall)! Well, that didn't turn out to be a problem whatsoever! I was given a room in the 60's, right at the intersection of the T in building 5, room 5226. And guess what?? My room was ready! Got my key with my Dining Credits on it, and went off to the room.

Here ya go, they're from my last day, but anyway, they're pics of the room!

But right. So I ran to my room (so close, nice and easy!), dropped my extra bag, and was on my way to the Polynesian! Hopped a cab (18 bucks later! holy cow!), and I made it just in time for my 11am ADR. Phew!

Now, I love the Poly. I stayed there with my mom last August, it was our first time on site, and it was heavenly! So it holds a very special place in my heart.

I had a wonderful breakfast at Kona, you can read about it in my dining report (linked in my sig).

Then I was on my way to the MK! Originally, I planned to head straight to MGM (had Fantasmic! dinner package later), but it was so early, and I was so close, that I couldn't resist heading over to MK. So I hopped the monorail at 11:50am, and was walking through to my happy place just a few moments later.

I have to go to work now, but I will be back later to tell you all about the MK on April 30!

next up: MK in the early afternoon

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report

Last edited by marsh0013; 07-03-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Oh I'm first! Great report so far! Looking forward to the rest!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

I am enjoying your dining report and had to sign on here too! Come back soon, can't wait to hear more!

Allyson
Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
gbpackfan9
Mouseketeer

Great start to TR. So lucky to have your room ready so early. All the times I've been to WDW the rooms only been ready one time upon arrival. Heading over to your dining review. Looking forward to the next post.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Nee Nee and Biddy
Mouseketeer

Great start to your trip! I'm loving your dining reviews also. Can't wait for more!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Marsh I found you here and on the dining review!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Signing on too. Can't wait for more

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
eugeniuss
Lone Star Mouseketeer and Pentaxian

subscribing as well... love reading solo trips... just gotta figure a way to have one myself!!!
Wilderness Lodge 12-11
Disney Magic 3-9-13
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
AJackson
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying both of your reports too!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
marsh0013

i'm baaaaack, finally!

Wed, April 30, Day 1, Part 2

So when I last left you, I was about to head over to the MK for my first dose of the magic! I was so excited! I took the monorail over, and arrived at 11:50am. I stopped for lots of Photopass pics going up Main Street, and I love how a bunch of them turned out, but I don't have the CD yet (doing a share once again, being ordered end of the month). But I just look so excited, they really captured the moment!

Then, I decided to head over to Tomorrowland, as that's where I usually start. First stop - grab a FP for Space Mountain, of course! Then I walked right onto Buzz, and here's the red-neck ride pic

You know you love it! After I got off, I took a picture of my watch, because the scene in front of me, I almost didn't believe!

If you look closely, you can see that at 12:30pm, there was only a 20 minute wait for Space Mountain! My FP wasn't up yet, so I figured, I may as well do standby. And the wait only ended up being 15 minutes! I was so amazed, it was awesome! And this wasn't even a recommended park for the day. Sweet!

Then my trip notes say "rode some other rides". LOL. I think this early in my trip, I wasn't too sure I'd be doing the blow-by-blow I've done in the past, but that quickly changed! I'm just so used to writing down everything, that I was soon doing it again .

So who knows. But I know I rode Pirates, with no wait at all. Seriously, that right side line is the best. Why everyone goes left is beyond me!

Looks like I rode Big Thunder at some point, because I have a picture!

Took the train to Toon Town, and then walked the "secret" path over to Tomorrowland to use my FP for Space. Also in my notes, I see that I saw Philharmagic at some point, and also got and used a FP for Peter Pan. As you can see, my anal-retentiveness about my notes does come in handy, because when I just go back and "remember" later, I don't remember much! Hehe.

Must have ended in Fantasyland with that ride on Peter Pan though, since I have this picture

I'm pretty sure it was of everyone getting situated for the afternoon parade. I also got one of the castle as I walked out

Also took some pics of the Pirate and Princess Party setup stuff on my way out of the park.

Then, I was off to MGM, for some rides if I could, my dinner package, and Fantasmic!

So, I walked out of the MK, over to the Contemporary, to catch a bus to MGM. I arrived at MGM around 3:30ish. Plenty of time before my 4:40 ADR to get in some rides!

First order of business was to FP ToT. Funny, don't think it ended up being necessary, but I got it anyway. Then made my way over to the Rock'n'Rollercoaster, to hit up the single rider line! Love that single rider line!

Did the RnR by the single line twice, then headed over to Star Tours, to see if I could ride, but alas, the wait was posted at 40 minutes, so I grabbed a FP instead. About that time, I needed to head over to the Brown Derby to check in for my ADR.

When I checked in, it was noted on my ressie that I was celebrating my Bday, so the wonderful check in guy gave me a Bday pin, and wrote my name on it, since I didn't have one yet. What a sweetie! Then, I had an awesome dinner, which can be read about in my dining report.

After dinner, I had plenty of time to kill before heading over to Fantasmic! Still, my notes haven't picked up, but I rode "more RnR", hehe. Probably at least a few times! Then used my FP for ToT, and seem to remember the regular line having no one in it anyway. So much for needing the FP! But who was I to complain! Seriously, these low crowds were pumping me up.

more redneck ride pics:

I never did use that FP for Star Tours, because I decided I'd rather head over to the Tune in Lounge, and say hi to one of my favorite bartenders, David. Started off with a boring Captain and diet (my usual at home), then had to get something more fruity and fun to take over to Fantasmic with me. Oh, I did meet a nice couple while sipping my first drink though. They come down pretty often, and love to hang out at the bar! My kind of people! So I settled up (love that DDE card!), and took my Picnic Punch to go. Now, David asked me if I needed a glow cube, since he knows how many I already have. I told him not to worry about it, but I'd regret that later! (keep reading!)

So I headed over to my special entrance to Fantasmic, and got a nice aisle seat, few rows from the top. I was very pleased with my location.

In front of me sat a really nice couple, with a little kid who was so cute! His name was Christian, and we got to talking, me and Christian that is! He told me all about his trip, and he even shared one of his lollypops with me. What a sweetie! I think he was like 3 years old. Anyway, at some point, a couple of kids behind us pulled out glow cubes! Can you see where this is going??? Of COURSE Christian wanted a glow cube too! Now, why hadn't I just taken the cube that David offered me?? Could have handed it right over and made the kid's night! Oh well, he was disappointed, I felt horrible, but his dad ended up buying him some glowing necklace, so it ended up being okay in the end.

At some point, I took a self portrait, cause I do that when I'm by myself

Then before we knew it, it was time for the show! Now, I've seen this show probably 5 times now, but I still love it! I tried taking some pics, but nothing really came out. Let's see, here are a couple of the best ones

I really enjoyed myself! And of course, as soon as it was over, I booked it out and made it to the Pop bus before a line even built. Awesome! Got back to Pop, stopped to pick up my refillable mug, and I was in bed by 9:30, but it was the end of a very long day. And I had another really long one up ahead of me.

up next: early morning at Epcot, and i'm really bad at estimating time!

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Nee Nee and Biddy
Mouseketeer

Great installment! You really hit the jackpot with the low crowd levels! Where is the Tune-In Lounge? Sounds like a good place to go before Fantasmic.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
marsh0013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nee Nee and Biddy View Post
Great installment! You really hit the jackpot with the low crowd levels! Where is the Tune-In Lounge? Sounds like a good place to go before Fantasmic.
tune in lounge is attached to the 50's prime time cafe, just about my favorite eating place

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Great installment! I have never seen Fantasmic! I hope to on my solo trip. We always end up missing it for one reason or another (usually because my kids are too tired). I am excited to see it!

And the Tune In lounge sounds fun! Do you know if you get an ADR at Prime Time can you request to eat at the bar?

Allyson
Old 05-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #14
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

The great thing about doing a solo trip is you get to do what you want too and don't have tired kids to deal with! That's why I got to see Fantasmic for the first time this year and I have told them all what they missed!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 05-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
lizardqueen
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for the rest of your report! I'm leaving for my own solo trip in less than 2 weeks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: