Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
chcmama
Mouseketeer

The Incredible Family's First Trip to WDW update 7/6 photopass pictures

We just got back from our first trip to WDW yesterday. So I decided to try my first trip report. For those of you who want to go back and check out my pre-trip report you can Click Here
If you don't want to go back here is a cast of characters
First is me (34)

I have been to Disneyland 5 times, I love Disney but dh isn't quite as excited about it as me.
DH (37)

He loves thrill rides so he would rather spend his time at Universal but he visits Disney for the kids. He has been to Disneyland 2 times, both with me.
DD (10) lets call her Violet

She has been to Disneyland 1 time when she was 6 and has been begging to go to WDW. She used to love the princesses, Aurora was her favorite, but now she likes Ariel.
DD (7) lets call her Dash (I will explain later)

Her favorite princess is Jasmine, it used to be Ariel. She made her trip to Disneyland when she was 2.
DS (2) lets call him Jack-Jack

He loves Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto and Little Einsteins.

The story on my dd being called Dash: When the Incredibles came out my dd's decided that it was our family, in fact my younger dd was so convinced that we were the Incredibles that she told the school secretary that her dad's name was Bob. Even though Dash is a boy she still identifies herself with him because he is the middle child like her. One other funny story along these lines, we were waiting in the minivan for dh one time and my ds, who was one at the time, dropped his bottle and I twisted around to get it for him and my younger dd said "that's why she's elastigirl"
Next up: Our night in Chicago and families with children do not get to board first.

The Incredibles First Trip to WDW

Last edited by chcmama; 07-06-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
HonnyDipp
DIS Veteran

I'm the first to sign up! I'm glad you had a great trip, can't wait to hear more!!!

Aug. 2003 Off Property; Nov. 14-20, 2008-Port Orleans Riverside; Sept. 2012 Free Dining @ Art of Animation
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
chcmama
Mouseketeer

Our night in Chicago and families with children do not get to board first

April 25th-the day we leave
The day started off great, we got up and it was sunny out and int he 50's. We finished our last minute packing and left our house about 9:30am. Our flight left Portland around 2pm so we planned to get there by noon. The drive up went smoothly and we pulled into the economy lot and began to wonder how many people were on vacation. The lot was very full, we had to drive around a little to find a spot. We finally found one and we made Violet take a picture of what section we were in. In the rush to get everything out of the car, we almost forgot JackJack's carseat, but we did remember before we got to the shuttle stop. I went back and got it, we had to wait a few minutes for the shuttle but it came quickly, we got loaded and we were off. Dash and I were randomly selected to have to be checked by a counter agent and not just whip through the self checkin kiosk but it still went quickly. Security even went fast, I couldn't believe how easy it all was going. We were ready for lunch so we stopped at a Wendy's at got some lunch. We boarded the plane on time no issues. I was a little concerened because I had checked the weather in Chicago and thunderstorms were forcast for this evening. DH and the girls sat in front of Jack Jack and me, I was sitting next to a lady from Pittsburg who was trying to get home in time for her daughter's graduation from college. After we boarded the plane pulled away from the gate and then we sat there for a little bit. The pilot came on and said we were waiting for weather to clear up in Chicago and we would be sitting for a little while. A few minutes later he came on and said we would be pulling back into the gate, almost immediately he came back on and said nevermind we were going to take off. I was glad we were finally on our way. Jack Jack was very excited about riding on a plane, here are a few pictures of him on the plane

He did really good on the flight, played with some of the stuff I had packed for him, he played with the headphones, I think he was pretending to go fishing or something. He would toss them down to the floor and then pull them back up. He eventually fell asleep and I was able to watch most of the Great Debaters. Part way through the flight the pilot comes on and announces we are in a holding pattern until the weather in Chicago clears up, they estimated 1 1/2 hrs of this and if we had to wait that long we wouldn't have enough fuel We didn't have to wait that long but we did get in about an hour late, which put us landing about when our flight to Orlando was supposed to be leaving. We get in the airport and see our flight has been delayed until 11:30pm. I was glad we hadn't missed it but we were already going to get in about 12:30am and this would put us in at about 3:30am The gate area was pretty crowded so we went to a different gate got some Quiznos for dinner and hung out for a few hours. DH went to check and found out our flight had been canceled. He headed down to United customer service and came back saying the line was hours long, now what were we going to do DH went back and there were some of those self serve kiosks by it and he checked out our reservations and they had us booked on a flight the next morning at 10:45 and waitlisted on a 6am flight. Now we had to decide what we were going to do for the night, it was already 11pm if we left to find a hotel we would have to be back pretty early to see if we could get the 6am flight so it didn't seem worth the hassle of leaving. Good choice since we found out there were no hotel rooms left in Chicago anyway. The girls were getting upset, Dash was concerned that we weren't going to be able to go to Disneyworld now and then she said we should have just wanted until the next day to go. So now came the fun part of trying to get the kids to sleep in the airport. DH layed down on the seats and Dash laid on top of him, I took JackJack for a walk so he would leave the girls alone. When I cam back Dash was asleep, DH slipped out from under her.

We finally got Violet to sleep, it took longer because she was trying to stay awake I think.

By this time we had found some blankets and pillows off one of the planes and covered Dash up.

A plane came in the gate we were sleeping at and dh went to talk to the agent at the gate about our tickets for the next day and he gave us seat assignments on the flight we had tickets for and they were in the 8th row, I was a little excited thinking this putus in economy plus, extra leg room is always nice JackJack was the toughest to get to sleep, he had had a nice nap and the airport was so exciting, it was about 2am before he finally fell asleep.

DH was then able to fall asleep, I slept a little off and on but I had a hard time getting in any position that I would be comfortable enough to sleep in. DH went over to the gate for the 6am flight about 5 and they said to come back and check around 5:30, then he went and bought some bagels and coffee cake stuff for breakfast. We headed back to the gate as they were calling our name, they had 5 seats for us but they were all in the middle and not together. Since we didn't really think anyone would like to take care of JackJack on the flight and Dash didn't want to sit alone we passed on the seats and got waitlisted on the 8am flight. We were the first on the list but there was only 1 seat left so we headed to our 10:45 flight. Apparantly they had switched planes and were going to use a bigger plane to accomadate all the people that were waiting to get to Orlando. So, some of the seat assignments were going to be different. They called us up to the counter and said ours was fine. Now I was getting really excited because the change in planes had put us on one that had business class and being in the 8th row put us in business class. The lady who was working this gate was NOT Disney like but what can you expect in the Chicago airport with a bunch of cranky passengers who have been sleeping in the airport. She made a point to let everyone know that families with children would not get early boarding because if we just looked around we would see that most people were traveling with children. Now I have been travelling with children for almost 11 years and its been about 8 years since we were allowed to board early because of having a child, so I found this statement unneccessary , besides she wasn't very nice. She calls our seating number so we go up all excited about business class and she scans our tickets in and they don't work, now if you remember she called us up and looked at our tickets, but she now says she didnt' look at our seat numbers and of course we couldn't sit there because that was business class, so to row 32 we went. Have a Disney day. The girls really enjoyed this flight because we each had our own tv screen and there were lots of movies and shows to choose from, dh and I watched waterhorse, jackjack watch alvin and the chipmunks. We ended up buying a couple snack boxes on this flight and sharing them. Our flight to Orlando went smoothly, our luggage was waiting for us when we got there, apparantly it flew on the 6am flight. We got our rental car and headed off to our resort, the Sheraton Visatana Resort. We had no trouble finding it and we were so excited to finally be there.
Thankfully the rest of the trip report will be much more positive and fun.

Next up: Our room and the crowds and DTD

Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
chcmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonnyDipp View Post
I'm the first to sign up! I'm glad you had a great trip, can't wait to hear more!!!
Thanks for joining in, I hope you enjoy it.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Wow! That's quite an adventure to get to Orlando! Glad you finally got there

The pictures of your kids sleeping in the airport are adorable! They actually make it look "comfortable" because they're all snuggled with the blankets, especially Dash!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
chcmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
Wow! That's quite an adventure to get to Orlando! Glad you finally got there

The pictures of your kids sleeping in the airport are adorable! They actually make it look "comfortable" because they're all snuggled with the blankets, especially Dash!
Thanks for reading. The chairs in the airport look more comfortable than they are, instead of being flat with cracks they curve up at each division so there is a bump there, since the kids are smaller, especially jack jack, I don't think they notice the bumps as much, but I could not get comfortable at all.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Sorry about all the trouble you had getting there! Sounds sort of familiar...when we went in December our flight was scheduled to leave Milwaukee around 7:30 (which meant we'd also be in Orlando pretty early and be able to do something) but they come on and say our flight was cancelled! Luckily we were able to get on another flight that night but we didn't make it to our hotel until almost midnight. They did give us free flight vouchers which is why we're going this week!

Anyway, enough about my story...can't wait to read more about your trip!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
dreamer17555
DIS Veteran

Joining! Ao arry about all the flight trouble. That had to be hard. The kids seem like real little troopers though! Can't wait to read more.

-Becca-
Old 05-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

What a way to start off! Looking forward to more

Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
pajules
I live to love and laugh alot, that's all I need

Welcome Back!

We just got back today and I'm looking forward to swapping stories. I'm glad to hear we weren't the only ones who had an interesting flight down.

My 2008 May "Mom and Son" Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1756063
Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

Glad to hear you made it back home safely. Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip. Hope that it was better than your flight to Orlando.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #13
chcmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Sorry about all the trouble you had getting there! Sounds sort of familiar...when we went in December our flight was scheduled to leave Milwaukee around 7:30 (which meant we'd also be in Orlando pretty early and be able to do something) but they come on and say our flight was cancelled! Luckily we were able to get on another flight that night but we didn't make it to our hotel until almost midnight. They did give us free flight vouchers which is why we're going this week!

Anyway, enough about my story...can't wait to read more about your trip!
That's nice you got free flight vouchers, we got nada. I don't think they give anything when it is weather related. There was a guy yelling at one of the gate agents because his flight got in late and he missed his connecting flight and he felt they should have held it for him. I can understand his frustration, but the guy he was yelling at certainly didn't make the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer17555 View Post
Joining! Ao arry about all the flight trouble. That had to be hard. The kids seem like real little troopers though! Can't wait to read more.

-Becca-
The kids really did do good, thanks for joining
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
What a way to start off! Looking forward to more
It was a rough start, glad to see you over here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajules View Post
Welcome Back!

We just got back today and I'm looking forward to swapping stories. I'm glad to hear we weren't the only ones who had an interesting flight down.
I'm sorry you had flight trouble too, I can't wait to read about your trip too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'm joining in. Looking forward to reading more and hoping your trip got much better after the flight down!
It did get much better, thanks for joining
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
Glad to hear you made it back home safely. Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip. Hope that it was better than your flight to Orlando.
It was much better, glad you joined.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Msslaydbug
Can't wait to get back !!
I have got to learn to stop drinking water
I am such a bad cook I burn water

Can't wait to here the rest ! That was a really rough start !

Disneyland 4/00 * 10/06 * 3/09 * 3/12 X's 2 * 05/12 **coming soon Paradise Pier 09/12**
Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
misscmac
Mouseketeer

Not a fun way to start the vacation but I am glad everyone was able to get a little bit of sleep in the airport! Waiting for more

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: