Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

That was one expensive holiday!: Day 15 – Home Time

We hadn’t been able to do online check-in as I had been unable to get on the net from the room last night so I wanted to get to Downtown Disney early this morning. With that in mind we were both up by 7:45. We had decided to leave all of our hand luggage in the room and come back, so at 8:15 we took the bill off of the door and left the room with just our suitcases.

As we left we saw another couple with Virgin Holidays luggage tags just getting into a taxi and we followed them all the way to Downtown Disney arriving just after 8:30. There were quite a few people there already but we joined the Premium Economy queue and were checked in by 8:45 having been told that the plane was already an hour late and boarding would not begin until 5:50 pm.

We were back at AKL by 9:10 where we checked the bill, which was correct and as the $948.30 had already been charged to Dad’s credit card there was no need for us to visit reception to formally check-out. We gathered up our hand luggage and left the room for the last time at 9:20.

The plan for this morning was to visit Winter Summerland but having arrived there at 9:30 we noticed that it did not open until 10:00. Bob, our waiter in the Contemporary Resort bar last night had recommended that we check out Pepper Market at Coronado Springs so, as it was just up the road, we popped up there to check out where it was.

We drove up to Coronado Springs, went through the security barrier, missed the turning for parking and ended up driving out and going through the security barrier again! We parked up properly the second time and having found Pepper Market decided we would indeed come back for lunch later today.

By now it was 9:50 so we went back to Winter Summerland arriving just after 10:00 and got our first DVC member perk. The cast member asked if we were members and even though I did not have my temporary membership card with me he said he would “let it slide this time” and gave us our 15% off anyway We had a round on the Winter Course and it was lucky we had decided not to keep score as Dad had a real stinker of a round while I got three holes in one!

From Winter Summerland we drove round to Saratoga Springs for a wander round as we may stay there next year using our developer points. We stopped off in Artists Palette for a drink and then drove back to Coronado Springs where we sat for a while by the lake there.

At around 12:10 we went into Pepper Market which, for those who have never been, is kind of food court meets buffet. You go in and are met by a seater who shows you to a table and gives you a card with 12 boxes on it. There are several ‘stalls’ in the ‘market’ serving different types of food. For example there is a Mexican stall selling fajitas, tacos etc., there is a stall that does salads, a stall that does Asian food and many others. You go up to a stall and, once you have ordered, the attendant at that stall stamps a box on your card, which becomes your receipt. You could then, if you wanted go to another stall for a different entrée or go to the dessert stand where once again your card would be stamped. You are given a menu with all the different choices when you are seated but each stand also has the choices and prices displayed. Once you are finished you go to the cashier at the exit who punches in what you have eaten and charges you accordingly. It really works well if you have several people in your party who all want different styles of food but the only downside is that a 10% service charge is added automatically.

I had a beef quesadilla, Dad had a Caesar salad with chicken and we had a coke each and we were both too full to go back for more.

By 1:05 we could put off the inevitable no longer and we headed off for the airport, stopping off in the Hess service station for gas as we had opted to take the car back full. We were off property for the last time by 1:15 and after an uneventful drive we were returning the car at 1:45 where we discovered that we had driven 631 miles in 15 days or an average of 42 miles per day! The trip to Kennedy pushed that average up but it is surprising how much those little trips add up.

We had a wander around the shops in the airport where I bought a 2008 photo album and Dad bought us some WDW luggage tags to use for our trip to Disneyland in July. At 3:45 the departure boards were showing our flight so we decided to go through security. I got a mild rebuke for not taking my Archos out of my bag for separate screening but other than that we were through pretty easily and were at the gate by 4:10, although the flight by now was showing as leaving at 7:05 so we knew we wouldn’t be boarding for a while. The incoming plane arrived at 4:50 and seeing that it was Ladybird I looked forward to some good entertainment for the flight – more on that later!

We took advantage of the free wireless at the gate to do a bit of surfing while we waited and boarding finally began at 6:45. By 6:55 we were sat in our preferred seats, 80H and 80K and enjoying our sparkling wine.

We pushed back an hour and 35 minutes late at 7:25 and were airborne 20 minutes later. Shortly after that the drinks run started and I began watching a film called ‘The Bucket List’ but about 20 minutes into it all the screens went blank and the Cabin Service Supervisor announced that there was a problem and she would need to reboot the system. About 10 minutes later she announced that it was back on but when I tried to start watching the film again I discovered that Dad and my screens had no sound and we could only switch between audio and video but not access the main menu. After another 10 minutes our screens seemed to spontaneously reboot themselves and we could now access the menu but we still had no sound. We decided that although we really should complain and get some compensation we were going to be sleeping anyway so we didn’t bother saying anything.

I think there must have also been some problem with the food loaded on because we were not given menus and when the flight attendant showed us a menu the Cajun chicken breast on the menu had turned into chicken in mushroom sauce. I can’t remember what the other choice was but Dad and I both had the chicken, which was just about edible.

After the food trays had been cleared away we decided to pay a visit to the restroom and it seemed half of the rest of those upstairs had the same idea at the same time so there was a bit of a queue. Once we were comfortable Dad and I snoozed on and off through the night until the breakfast run started at 7:00

Breakfast consisted of an egg and cheese croissant, blueberry muffin, choice of fruit juices and tea or coffee. We landed at 8:36 whereupon the CSS decided to have a joke and announced “Welcome to Newcastle International Airport. Only joking”. Oh how we all laughed

We entered the immigration hall at 8:55 and, having walked past the long British passports queue and through the IRIS machine, were in the baggage claim area at 9:00! The luggage carousel started up fairly quickly and although Dad’s case and our holdall was up pretty quickly I had to wait about 30 minutes for my case to come up, I think because the Premium Economy label had got torn off somewhere.

We passed straight through the Customs area and found our taxi driver who led us back to the short stay car park for our ride home. The rest is just your average journey home through the traffic thinking “The roads in Orlando are so much better for getting places than this” and we were home by 10:45.

So that is it – another trip done and planning now starts in earnest for our trip to see how Disney works on the West coast in July

Thanks for reading and thanks to all those who have said how much they have enjoyed the reports. Finally, you can see a musical slideshow of some of my favourite photos from the trip here. http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wdw2008wr7.flv

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

really enjoyed your trip report David. Thanks for sharing
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
cherjp
I am a disney nutter! Every time I reply I kill the thread..... stone dead!!

Wow that was a really great trip report ,thanks very much, thoroughly enjoyed each day.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for sharing your fab trip reports David. They've been fun to read your photos have been great too

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

David, Thank you very much for your great reports, have really enjoyed reading them and Im so looking forward to your reports from Disneyland

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Thanks for sharing your trip David. It has been lovely...looking forward to the DL one in a few months.

By the way David did you know that you can get the Imagineering guide books for MK, Epcot & Animal Kingdom from Amazon.co.uk - maybe a gift idea for your dad for fathers day next month as he was unable to get them in florida.....they are releasing a DL one towards the end of the year too!

Here's the link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ineering+guide

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland

Last edited by Pinky166; 05-09-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

David,i have thouroughly enjoyed your trip report.Thank you very much.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
CHEK
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your trip report David , I've really enjoyed reading it, looking forward to reading your next one

April 2003 Wyndham Orlando
May 2004 Highlands Reserve
May 2006 Westridge
May 2007 Tuscan Ridge
Feb 2009 Tuscan Ridge
April 2013 Highlands Reserve
CHEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
bristolphil
Earning My Ears

great reports i will miss reading them.
bristolphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

reaaly enjoyed reading,thanks for sharing

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #11
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great reports David, thanks for sharing your trip with us

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip David. It has been lovely...looking forward to the DL one in a few months.

By the way David did you know that you can get the Imagineering guide books for MK, Epcot & Animal Kingdom from Amazon.co.uk - maybe a gift idea for your dad for fathers day next month as he was unable to get them in florida.....they are releasing a DL one towards the end of the year too!

Here's the link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ineering+guide
Thanks Pinky, we had been looking at them on Amazon. I hadn't thought of buying them as a Father's day present though, thanks for the suggestion.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #13
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Oh great trip

Must say we love 80 H & K too

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

really enjoyed your trip report David. Thanks for sharing
looking forward to hearing all about the July trip
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Thanks Pinky, we had been looking at them on Amazon. I hadn't thought of buying them as a Father's day present though, thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome.

Can I ask why you prefer seats 80 H& K? I can't decide what to reserve for our december flights....any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Claire

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: