Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #1426
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
BusyMom2Three, I've just enjoyed eading your post, and have a few questions.
What do you use instead of baggies? plastic wrap?
and

After you've added the Itialian herb and garlic to tomato sauce, what do you use it on?

Also, I see you use cloth diapers. Have you considered "family cloths"?
Thanks. I added the info into my post.

Now it's easy to find reusable baggies (I've seen them at Target), but a few yrs ago I bought a few from snacktaxi.com. I bought each of my kids a Lunchbot this year too and love them.

For storing food I use glass pyrex type containers (some people reuse margarine and other plastic containers, but we prefer glass. You can even pick them up at garage sales). If I run out of those, I just use mason jars. They are great for storing soups and bulk pantry staples too.

The plain tomato sauce I season costs much less than jarred tomato/pasta/pizza sauces, which is what I use it for.

I respect the people who do family cloth, but I can't get into. I don't know why it doesn't bother me using cloth diapers lol. Maybe because breastfed baby diapers don't smell much if at all until they start eating solids.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century

Last edited by BusyMom2Three; 08-12-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: corrected typo
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #1427
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

I just finished skimming through this entire thread only to be reminded I posted on it a few times 4 yrs ago.

I remembered a few more things along the way.

You can sign up for kidsbowlfree.com & kidsskatefree.com to take your kids bowling and skating for free.

When we go on vacation or to visit family, I never buy travel size anything. We have a handful of resusable travel bottles that we've used for years. I fill those with shampoo, detergent, vinegar, sunscreen, anything really.

This year I got the idea to cut open the paper bags I get when I forget my reusable bags at the grocery store to use to wrap some of our family's smaller Christmas and birthday gifts. I will have the other kids decorate them to give them a free craft project. My kids are excited about being green and like crafts/art, so I know they will like it. I'm also going to stop buying those wasteful stick-on bows that just end up in the landfill.

My washer has 5 settings from lightly soiled to very soiled (or something like that). I usually leave it on the standard normal setting in the middle, but I've started lowering it one level.

Another inexpensive meal is bean burgers. You can make these with random ingredients and either sautee in a skillet, bake, or use a toaster over. One I like is mashed black beans, oats, ketchup, mustard, garlic & onion powder from Happy Herbivore (she calls it "quick burgers"--you can Google the recipe). Yesterday DH got creative and mashed some adzuki beans w/ a chopped onion, grated carrot, and salt & pepper and sauteed it on both sides. It was really good, fast, healthy & inexpensive! They aren't supposed to taste like hamburgers, more like a bean cake (like how some people make potato cakes). Add a baked potato or brown rice on the side and a green veggie, and you have a meal.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #1428
pampam
DIS Veteran

Free face lift.

I know this is an older thread, but some of the info is good, so I wanted to add to it.

Gently close your lips, and puff air into the space between your teeth and your lips. Do this whenever you are alone, driving, watching tv, on the computer, etc. Skin has memory and the wrinkles will gradually decrease around the mouth. Look in a mirror when you are doing it. If your lips are pursed together too tightly, you will be adding vertical wrinkles to your mouth. You don't want that. Just gently puff air into your mouth when you are not eating or drinking.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #1429
tcarr5
I suffer from Disneyitus!
you turned her arm and her chest went from "flat to fluffy"

anymore threads like this?
August 2005-WDW-onsite all stars-music
August 2007-WDW-onsite all stars sports
October 2009-WDW-onsite Pop Century
May 5 2010-DL for the day
December 2010-WDW-onsite Pop Century
December 2011-WDW-onsite POP Century

EBAY ID tcarr5

"When life knocks you to your knees, your in the PERFECT position to PRAY!"
tcarr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #1430
GOOFY4DONALD
DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They were so proud they made it a Hidden Mickey!

I am so glad I found this thread again. I am going to start reading it I over from the beginning. My painless idea is taking old socks with holes and cutting the toes completely off. After going through a bleach wash I now have new rags. If they get too nasty I can throw them away. If not they go into the bucket of rags, by my washer, waiting to be bleached out and used again.
WDW 2012 FW Cabins

GOOFY4DONALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #1431
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

When we stay in a hotel, I take the mini shampoo and condition that they put out, away in my suitcase every day when I leave the room. Then they leave more the next day. We then use them when we get home. After a long trip, we can have 1/3 to a 1/2 bottle of each.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #1432
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Just found this and was skimming through....Love the vinegar tips. Yes, we use it instead of jet dry, fabric softener (it also removes all the sweaty gym scents),

For ring around the collar...I use toothpaste (any, but generally paste, not gel) and give it a good scrub. It has also worked on most other clothing stains (no need for shout).

My mom buys shower caps from the dollar store to cover bowls in the fridge-instead of plastic wrap.

Just found out that we can use powdered sugar in place of regualr sugar. We have 10 pounds of the powder because of cake baking. So, even though it's more expensive, we aren't having to buy granulated right now. I also don't buy brown sugar (use white instead).

And I add cooked beans to just about every meat dish...mash them good and you don't know they're lurking in the sloppy joe. Makes 12oz (the used to be 1 pound pkg) of gr turkey go way further...

2010 Coronado Springs2014 Windsor Hills2015 TBA
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #1433
danygirl
Mouseketeer

My local bakery thrift store has two "fill your cart" days each week $10 for an entire cart. I usually get a mix of stuff - breads, cakes, cookies, bagels, hamburger and hot dog buns, sub rolls, English muffins. I can get an average of 36 items, and I freeze a good bit. With a per bag/box price of around 27 cents this is a big money saver!!
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #1434
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

I love Big Mac's from McD's but don't eat them much because they are sooo bad for me. However, on those rare days when I decide to buy one, I just order a McDouble with mac sauce. The only thing missing is the middle bun and the lettuce. The McDouble is $1.00 and the mac sauce is .05 at one place and .30 at another. Either way, it's less than half the price of buying a Big Mac. Add a small order of fries and a 1.00 large drink for a cheap meal!
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #1435
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
I love Big Mac's from McD's but don't eat them much because they are sooo bad for me. However, on those rare days when I decide to buy one, I just order a McDouble with mac sauce. The only thing missing is the middle bun and the lettuce. The McDouble is $1.00 and the mac sauce is .05 at one place and .30 at another. Either way, it's less than half the price of buying a Big Mac. Add a small order of fries and a 1.00 large drink for a cheap meal!
This brings back memories. When DH and I were first married, I had just started my first after grad school job and he was still a student, teaching a few adjunct courses. Made next to nothing. Our treat was getting McD's when they had the $2.22 Quarter Pounder deals. We'd bring it in and watch movies on a Friday night. Once he got a full time job, we were able to go out to eat again. Which we did every Friday night for three years until DS#1 was born, lol. Now, we don't eat McD's anymore and have two kids who eat like adults, so going out to dinner is an expensive venture. No more every Friday night out!
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #1436
peigirl
Mouseketeer

The McDonalds around here have an option on the cash register to order a McDouble dressed like a Big Mac - seems to be very popular and alot cheaper.
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #1437
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

Bump

Bumping.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #1438
verleniahall
Mouseketeer

Pre-Payday Salad

I invinted this while the DH was on Active Duty, he wanted pasta salad, and it was a couple days prior to payday.

INGRIDENTS:

1 box noodles
1 Can Peas
Celery
1 PKG Cheese Cubes
1 Jar Miracle Whip
To Taste:
Crushed Red Pepeprs
Cayenne Pepper
Cajin Seasoning

Instructions:
Cook pasta until done. Rinse, and chill. Drain the peas and add. Chop the celery into small pieces, add. (I chop the cheese cubes into smaller cubes personally, but you don't have to). Then add Miracle whip until everthing is combined. Chill again. Then add seasonings to taste. I

Lena
verleniahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #1439
queenbetsey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
How funny is this! That's what we're having for dinner tonight . My husband's mom used to make something like this all of the time. She called it American Chop Suey (apparantly the name is a New England thing but it's known as goulash or Johnny Marzetti). We make it with cooked chop meat, sauteed onions & celery. It's very good, filling & easy to stretch.
y mom used to make something like this and she called it goulash
hamburger, diced tomatoes (I have a ton in my freezer from mu summer garden)
macaroni,corn onions and celerymake a huge pot great for a rainy weekend of movie watching or feeding a crowd.

also instead of ground meat I buy cheaper cuts of beef when they are on sale and chope them up in the food processor when I need hamburger

Hey Hey we're the Whiteheads, a pre trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3209767

You were born an origional, why die a copy?\

[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img noborder]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/klh12jpwhe9t3guf.png[/img][/link]
queenbetsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #1440
kymom99
DIS Veteran

Is there any secret to freezing diced tomatoes? We have a ton from the garden and I heard you could dice and freeze them. Do you peel them or dice them with the skin on? Use ziplock bags?
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: