Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #121
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

one more tip

I was going through the clothes that my dd had out grew. They had stains on them and I could not send them to the Salvation Army.. so I cut them in half to be used as rags (insted of paper towel) . I use them and then toss them.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #122
gottaluvdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveDisney&Cruising View Post
Home Depot or Lowes ..... they will cut it there for you too. It's in the section for closet organization ... just a white wire closet rod with shelf on top. My DH also put up one of those TINY little ceiling fans - 24" or less (I think it was called a bullet or an egg). We turn it on to help dry stuff hanging in the laundry room. that cute little fan
We have a small laundry room that has 2 walls opposite each other over the tub sink. I bought a regular shower tension rod and put it up between the 2 walls, over the sink. I hang all our "nondryable" clothes on the rod and take them upstairs when dry. I also try to hang as much as possible to avoid using the dryer as often. I like the idea of putting old dry towels in with the loads to save dryer time - I'll try this next load. I also sometimes wash at night (always use cold water), and dry in the morning. The clothes are drier when they hit the dryer.
gottaluvdis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #123
marypoppinswannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
I use soak when I wash my electric blanket, because it's on the instructions. I also use it when I wash the backdoor rugs, because the dirt gets so ground in.
So, do I just put the clothes in without any detergent, or do i put detergent in the soak? And do I just put the clothes in the washer and soak and it runs like any of the other cycles. (I should probably be ashamed that I made this long without ever using this cycle this before )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post

Do you have a toaster oven? Before my son was born I used to use mine nearly every night to cook dinner for my husband & I. It takes much less time & power to heat than the oven & does a really good job. I could fit a 9" pie plate in mine so things like corningware casserole dishes were no problem. So things like extra chicken would get turned into things like enchiladas or pot pies, beef into shepherds pie & the leftovers all became something different. I could use it to roast peppers, melt cheese for nachos, even bake biscuits. Very, very handy. This might be a good solution for you.
Thanks for sharing the recipes. I am trying to start cooking more homemade to save money. Also, I never even thought about using a toaster oven for anything but toast. I will definitely be trying this.

WDW 77 & 81
Off-site -94 & 03
Pop Century -06, 10, 11, 13
marypoppinswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #124
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppinswannabe View Post
So, do I just put the clothes in without any detergent, or do i put detergent in the soak? And do I just put the clothes in the washer and soak and it runs like any of the other cycles. (I should probably be ashamed that I made this long without ever using this cycle this before )

Thanks for sharing the recipes. I am trying to start cooking more homemade to save money. Also, I never even thought about using a toaster oven for anything but toast. I will definitely be trying this.

Yes, you put the clothes in with detergent on the soak cycle. It will fill with water and do a small amount of agitating but it won't drain or rinse (hence, the 'soak' name). Then, later on, when I think about it, I'll start the regular wash cycle, but my machine has different lengths that I can set it on. I just do a short regular cycle. The clothes come out fine since they've been soaking for a while (many times it is all day because I forget about it, LOL!), but it uses less electric because I only run a short cycle.
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #125
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week

[QUOTE=marypoppinswannabe;25225136]So, do I just put the clothes in without any detergent, or do i put detergent in the soak? And do I just put the clothes in the washer and soak and it runs like any of the other cycles. (I should probably be ashamed that I made this long without ever using this cycle this before )
/QUOTE]

that's ok. I can't use bleach to save my life. I just buy new.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #126
marypoppinswannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post
that's ok. I can't use bleach to save my life. I just buy new.

Pretty funny... I don't use bleach either.

WDW 77 & 81
Off-site -94 & 03
Pop Century -06, 10, 11, 13
marypoppinswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #127
aepecoraro
Mouseketeer

I dont know if anyone else does this.. But there is no need to wash towels often. You use towels to dry off from the shower and you are clean. Just make sure to hang it up to dry. Wash them weekly or bi-weekly depending on how many times you use it.
aepecoraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #128
mom2rose&john
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepecoraro View Post
I dont know if anyone else does this.. But there is no need to wash towels often. You use towels to dry off from the shower and you are clean. Just make sure to hang it up to dry. Wash them weekly or bi-weekly depending on how many times you use it.
I wish I could get my husband into this mindset. I think it is such a waste not to reuse bath towels.
mom2rose&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #129
Kycha
I'm a grouch with a heart
The raccoon wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rose&john View Post
I wish I could get my husband into this mindset. I think it is such a waste not to reuse bath towels.
Maybe you could try throwing the towels in the dryer for a few minutes to "fluff" them. I doubt your husband would notice the towel hadn't actually been washed.
Kycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #130
katiee511
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepecoraro View Post
This is the way I grew up and have always done this in my own home. I basically wash towels every Wed & Sun, so it is routine. We also use a hand towel hung over the shower door rod (to dry & store) as our bath mat. When its time to wash, I use the 'bath mat' towel to wash the floor and the hanging hand towel to wash all the counters, sink and toilet lids before tossing in the wash.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #131
kwhite1022
Mouseketeer

Along the lines of the cutting the fabric softner: I cut those baby washcloths by huggies. I always get coupons for those, and have a 2 and 5 year old that I bathe together, a half of one of those works great and then after bath time, I use it to clean the shower/sink/toilet.

I just had to replace my washer and went with a HE one....Im a little leery to not use the HE soap, I do have a whole bottle of unused Pyrex that I may use as filler when I cannot find a deal on the HE I like.

My hubby makes a marinara sauce for his chicken parm recipe, and after that dinner, we use the remaining sauce for homemade pizza....works great. I time this to be in the same week I make pasta salad, which means I will have pepparoni on hand for that, that way we dont waste anything.
kwhite1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #132
cndij
Mouseketeer

I plan on buying more staples in bulk, rice, different kinds of beans, oatmeal etc. Anyone have suggestions for where to get Bulk storage containers reasonably? I know Tupperware has them, but not wanting to spend $100 getting set up.

Thanks
Cindi
cndij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #133
lauralana9
Missing "The Big Ditch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rose&john View Post
OMG Me to. He would only use it once. Drove me insane, so.. I stopped washing them. Seriously, It's just us. No reason I should have to do an entire load of towels a week. After a few times of him begging to use my towel, the only clean non stinky one (he throws his wet towels in a pile they have to be bleached after that) in the house he got the hint.

Thing that really drives me crazy is we used to share HALF a towel that got washed once a week. We never decided to move in together, one day I stayed the night and just didn't leave. At the time he had this old raggedy beach towel he used (ahh single men). At some point it had ripped down the center, not sure where the rest of it was. He didn't think anything of it and we just kept forgetting to buy more. Eventually on a trip back to my sisters where I had been living I swiped one of hers so we could each have our own. When we finally got our own place his mom bought us a nice set of towels its like he went nuts. All the sudden he could not use it more than once.
1988 - Offsite 2009 - ASMu
1996 - ASMu 2010 - ASMu
1998 - Sports 2012 - Pop
lauralana9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #134
gorams
Earning My Ears

containers for bulk food

A great stay at home mom I know uses new pet food containers for bulk flour, rice, etc. They look really nice and organized. She said that they were the only thing big enough and the price was great. SHe bought them at a pet supply place.

Last edited by gorams; 06-25-2008 at 09:22 PM.
gorams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #135
StillPinballFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndij View Post
I plan on buying more staples in bulk, rice, different kinds of beans, oatmeal etc. Anyone have suggestions for where to get Bulk storage containers reasonably? I know Tupperware has them, but not wanting to spend $100 getting set up.

Thanks
Cindi
OK- I am insanely cheap! I have an entire matched set of lovely large bulk storage jars.

What are they? Where did I get them?

They are the big clear plastic jars that formerly held BJs animal crackers! I use my label maker to specify the *new* contents. I've got several different types of rice, five different types of flour, sugar, oats, and other stuff. The jars have screw-on lids. The animal crackers are about $6 a jar and we truly enjoy them - but I love them even more when they're gone and I get my hands on the empty jars! The jugs are each big enough to hold about 15 lbs of flour.
StillPinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: