Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #76
snickerboo
DIS Veteran

*use the library or go to a used book store instead of buying books (especially if it's a novel you don't even know if you'll enjoy!) Dh and I go to a charity bookstore. If you bring in your old books, you get a credit of half of what they can sell the books for towards your purchases. We basically end up just recycling books this way. Any money the bookstore does make goeas to support schools in Haiti

*sell your old stuff on kijiji, craigslist or facebook sale groups. It takes less organization than a big yard sale since you can sell as many or as few items at a time as you want, and there's no paying for advertising, price stickers, etc.
Sunny California at Disneyland & San Diego, CA November 3rd-10th, 2009
Wizarding World Feb 16-23 2013
snickerboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #77
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

This doesn't work for me anymore because I work from home now, but when I was working part-time in an office, it saved me a lot of money. I love magazines, but not the cost. So I sent out an email at work and asked if people would pass their magazines on to me when they were done reading them. I don't really care if I'm reading them a week or two late! Anyway, I got tons of magazines. The ones I didn't want I just threw out, the others I took home and enjoyed. Even got to read some new ones I hadn't looked at before. And people were happy to do it!

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #78
happycampers
I may look sweet and petite, but when I fire up that diesel, I'm one big, bad truckin' mama

After posting on the breakfast idea thread, I thought I'd add this idea here too since it is a breakfast stretching idea:
I use quick oats to make my oatmeal in the morning, but the kids like the flavored packets. They could eat multiple packets if I let them. I buy the packets cheap at Aldi's (about $1.39 for a box of 10), then I add some extra quick oats to make it stretch. They still get the flavor, and they have a bigger bowl of oatmeal to fill them up. (Adding extra oats helps if you've accidentally added too much water also.) There are some homemade oatmeal packet recipes out there, but the ones I've tried haven't worked well. I think I'm going to try some new ones I found when our current supply runs out.
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #79
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
Give up paper towels and paper napkins. Buy a bunch of good quality (on sale of course!) white dish towels. They will last forever, can be bleached of stains and can be used for drying hands and are great for covering laps really well while eating...so they're perfect with kids...less stains on clothing!
I think I am going to give this a try.

Also, I am thinking about buying a clothes drying rack like my mom had when we were kids. I will probably need a couple of them. I am thinking of using the tip someone gave about drying the clothes in the dryer long enough to get the wrinkles out and then put them on the drying rack. Problem is, I grew up with a basement (northeast) and Mom did the laundry down there. We don't have basements here so I am perplexed as to where I would put the drying racks. Oh well...where there is a will, there is a way! I will find a place.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #80
ILoveDisney&Cruising
DVC member since 2006 ... wish we'd have joined sooner!
We hadn't even gone yet and I was dreading coming home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
We don't have basements here so I am perplexed as to where I would put the drying racks. Oh well...where there is a will, there is a way! I will find a place.
We put a (I'm drawing a blank on the name of it!!) -- the same type of rod that might be in your bedroom closet to hang clothes on with a wire shelf above it. Anyway, we put one of those the entire length of our laundry room and use the shelf above for storage and hang clothes to dry on hangers on it. Then when they're dry, they're already on hangers & we just haul them upstairs.

Fort Wilderness ~ 11/01, 11/02, 11/03, 11/04, 01/05, 11/05, 11/07, 11/09, 11/11, 11/12, 11/13
Fort Wilderness cabins ~ 10/01, 02/04, 12/06
Disney Magic 7-night Eastern Caribbean ~ 11/25/06
Villas at Wilderness Lodge ~ 01/08 ~ 17th wedding anniversary trip w/kids
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/29/08
Offsite ~ 12/08, 12/10, 12/14
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/27/10
DVC Old Key West ~ 9/11
Disney Dream 4-night DVC S.S. Member Cruise ~ 9/11
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern Carbbean ~ 12/12 ~ with 29 people!

7-night Disney Cruise 12/14

2008 Ford F-350 diesel 6.4 dually 4x4 crew cab ~ 2013 Cougar 330RBK
ILoveDisney&Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #81
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

I already do many of these things, thanks to previous threads on this in the past & continue to love some of the ideas everyone has.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #82
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveDisney&Cruising View Post
We put a (I'm drawing a blank on the name of it!!) -- the same type of rod that might be in your bedroom closet to hang clothes on with a wire shelf above it. Anyway, we put one of those the entire length of our laundry room and use the shelf above for storage and hang clothes to dry on hangers on it. Then when they're dry, they're already on hangers & we just haul them upstairs.
Can you tell me where to buy it?

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #83
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

Try cutting your brillo pads in half! Sharpens your scissors at the same time- when you do use your half-brillo store it in the freezer, it will never rust! This darn box is lasting me years, I swear.

Shorten your drying time in the dryer by tossing some old dry towels in there with the wet clothes. I keep about 4 on top of the dryer for this purpose (or bathing the dogs).

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #84
ImaFunMom
Mouseketeer

I usually use less cheese in a recipe than called for - example my chicken enchiladas call for 2 cups of shredded cheese. I use 1 1/2 cups and it's perfect. I also do this with HB meat. I use 1 lb. when the recipe calls for 1 1/2 lbs., etc. No one notices the difference.
ImaFunMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #85
TheBigBadWolf
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
Straw hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Tink View Post
Try cutting your brillo pads in half! Sharpens your scissors at the same time- when you do use your half-brillo store it in the freezer, it will never rust! This darn box is lasting me years, I swear.
I always cut my Brillo pads in half, and the last time I opened a box, I happened to count them as I cut them. (yes, I know I am a little OCD) There were only 17 pads in the box, although the box said it contained 18 pads. This really griped me, as I like SOS pads better than Brillo, but buy Brillo to save money. I knows this sounds like a cheapskate, but I emailed the company and told them about it and they sent me a coupon for a free box. I'm going to count the next box too, and if it's short, I'm going back to using SOS pads even if they're a little more expensive than Brillo pads.

Well, just for kicks I just went and cut my new box of Brillo pads in half and counted them too. This box contained 21 pads. They must go by weight when packaging instead of the counting out the actual number of pads, and some pads are larger than others. I'm glad to know now that they weren't intentionally shorting the box.
TheBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #86
csk470
Earning My Ears

wonderful thread keep them coming!!!

Tracey
csk470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #87
CajunDixie
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
Just don't touch my hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
I only use the bread flour for things like french bread, muffuletta rolls or pizza dough- things that I want a crisper crust for. The difference from AP is very noticable. I use AP for everything else. I did try adding 2 cups of AP to my pizza dough this weekend but it just didn't have the right bounce & stretch. The crusts weren't as tasty & I couldn't get them nicely thin. I guess I've gotten spoiled. So has my family .

If there's a Trader Joe's near you I've heard that the KA flour is a little bit cheaper there. Don't know for how much longer.
Care to share your pizza dough recipe? Please!

This is a great thread!! I love the Brillo pad idea!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #88
ILoveDisney&Cruising
DVC member since 2006 ... wish we'd have joined sooner!
We hadn't even gone yet and I was dreading coming home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
Can you tell me where to buy it?
Home Depot or Lowes ..... they will cut it there for you too. It's in the section for closet organization ... just a white wire closet rod with shelf on top. My DH also put up one of those TINY little ceiling fans - 24" or less (I think it was called a bullet or an egg). We turn it on to help dry stuff hanging in the laundry room. that cute little fan

Fort Wilderness ~ 11/01, 11/02, 11/03, 11/04, 01/05, 11/05, 11/07, 11/09, 11/11, 11/12, 11/13
Fort Wilderness cabins ~ 10/01, 02/04, 12/06
Disney Magic 7-night Eastern Caribbean ~ 11/25/06
Villas at Wilderness Lodge ~ 01/08 ~ 17th wedding anniversary trip w/kids
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/29/08
Offsite ~ 12/08, 12/10, 12/14
Disney Magic 7-night Western Caribbean ~ 11/27/10
DVC Old Key West ~ 9/11
Disney Dream 4-night DVC S.S. Member Cruise ~ 9/11
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern Carbbean ~ 12/12 ~ with 29 people!

7-night Disney Cruise 12/14

2008 Ford F-350 diesel 6.4 dually 4x4 crew cab ~ 2013 Cougar 330RBK
ILoveDisney&Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #89
AllesonWonderland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
My aunt (as well as my parents) lived through the Great Depression and one of the things my aunt did until the day she died was to serve her "Fridge Supper" on Friday..

She took everything that was in the fridge (NO leftovers were EVER thrown out - even if it was a portion of meatloaf no bigger than a teaspoon) and put it in a great big frying pan..
My dad told stories of his dad doing that. Except one main dish involved peaches that happened to be in the fridge. LOL

I have a box of dry milk in my cupboard. We don't use it in place of our regular 'drinking' milk, but I do use it for cooking, especially gravies, etc.

Ditto on using the library as much as possible. We get all our DVD's there instead of renting them. I just put them on our online 'request' list, and I get emailed when they are in.

I called the cable company with the intention of dropping an extra tier on the cable to save money. The gal said if we did that, we would lose our bundle discount. So I asked if there was anything else she could do and she gave me $20 off our bill for 6 months. That was easy!!
March 2007 Spring Break at Windsor Hills. Our first trip to WDW!!
AllesonWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #90
bettyann29
Heres my contribution for today...
It looks like everyone is trying to divert their eyes elsewhere
I cant eat the ones that are not folded or creased.. Does that make me crazy??

Location: Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas-- Dreaming of one day being closer to the House of the Mouse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post
I thought about this, but aren't you washing alot more?
I honestly dont think that we do.. I do a load of towels about every other day anyways so I just stick them in there with the towels..
bettyann29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: