Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #751
intheworks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
They seem to have a magazine by the same title "Taste of Home", and a website that has all the recipes (Cauliflower Cheese Soup, the 1st Creamed Cabbage recipe, Creamy Tomato made with 2 cans of canned tomato soup and the French Onion have been our favorites). So far I have only been picking up the specialty issues, you know- the kinds they have at the checkout. I've gotten the one on Soups, the one on Appetizers (the Spinach phyllo made into a lasagna type pie was a huge hit today) and, this past week, I found the one on Slow Cookers. I got 2 at Walmart and one at Giant. I like the magazine format for ideas, but since all the same stuff is on the internet I guess I should just check it out there instead. S far the only recipe my DH really didn't like was the Senate Bean soup, but my kids liked it with garlic bread. If anyone discovers anything else great on this site please PM me, I love recommendations

Care to post the tomato and french onion soup recipes?
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #752
EllaGrasso
Tripping the light fantastic

Here is my homemade laundry detergent

1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soada
1/2 cup borax
1 bar soap
5 gallon bucket with lid
Essential oil (for scent, just a drop or two)

Whittle down the soap bar into some boiling water on the stove. When it's
dissolved, pour into bucket and add your other ingredients along with about 3 gallons of water. Add a drop or two of essential oil for scent. I use orange. Stir. Cover. Sit for 24 hours. You'll have a gel-like laundry detergent with enough ingredients left for another 5+ batches. Use one cup per load.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #753
semo233
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaGrasso View Post
Here is my homemade laundry detergent

1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soada
1/2 cup borax
1 bar soap
5 gallon bucket with lid
Essential oil (for scent, just a drop or two)

Whittle down the soap bar into some boiling water on the stove. When it's
dissolved, pour into bucket and add your other ingredients along with about 3 gallons of water. Add a drop or two of essential oil for scent. I use orange. Stir. Cover. Sit for 24 hours. You'll have a gel-like laundry detergent with enough ingredients left for another 5+ batches. Use one cup per load.
I know some people have had a hard time with the powder version, but I have slightly hard well water and have not problem with this simpler version:

1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap from food processor
1 Cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda

Blend together and use 1-2 Tblsp per load. I have an JE washer and dryer and have had no problems at all! The Fels does not smell great, but you cannot smell it after the rinse cycle at all.

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #754
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

I started using my clothes line in March...10 months ago...and never stopped! I use the cloths line exclusively now..no more dryer. This saves big $$ on our utilities. It forces me to go outside, it is physical exercise (at least in my book, it is), and the clothes feel and smell great!

Mom23Disneybelievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #755
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

We stopped buying fast food and snacks while out shopping and running errands. I pack snacks and water bottles, for the kids, and fill up my coffee travel mug before we leave. I have even packed full lunches, if need be! (By stopping ENTIRELY..it let the kids know that I meant business...so thier objections and whining subsided after the first few weeks. They don't even ask to hit the drive-thru any more.) Saving money and soooo much healthier!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #756
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23Disneybelievers View Post
I started using my clothes line in March...10 months ago...and never stopped! I use the cloths line exclusively now..no more dryer. This saves big $$ on our utilities. It forces me to go outside, it is physical exercise (at least in my book, it is), and the clothes feel and smell great!
How do you do this in winter?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #757
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23Disneybelievers View Post
We stopped buying fast food and snacks while out shopping and running errands. I pack snacks and water bottles, for the kids, and fill up my coffee travel mug before we leave. I have even packed full lunches, if need be! (By stopping ENTIRELY..it let the kids know that I meant business...so thier objections and whining subsided after the first few weeks. They don't even ask to hit the drive-thru any more.) Saving money and soooo much healthier!
My mom and I were talking about this the other day. If we added up all the extra expenses of a shopping trip: drinks, coffee, snacks, etc., we could probably take several extra shopping trips !! .

She was telling me about her sister who just does not eat away from home (unless eating in someone else's home). Its not a choice each time; she just never thinks about getting fast food or eating out. She thinks its a huge waste of money and even if you do talk her into grabbing a burger, she will spend the entire time telling you how many burgers she could have cooked at home for the same money. If she does travel, she packs a meal and several snacks.

I am trying to get myself in the same mind set as my aunt and just making it not an option to grab fast food. Its funny, when my boys were young I did cook every meal at home. Take out was really a treat and only for the occasional Friday night that I had to work really late or something. For some reason as they got older and after dd came along, it just became more of a habit to grab burgers or chicken 2 or 3 nights a week.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #758
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
How do you do this in winter?
Believe it or not the clothes still dry in the winter.....even with the snow on the ground. I have had the clothes get caught in a light snow shower this winter....and got a little freaked out....but I let them stay up, until the next day (they were dry by evening) and they seemed exceptionally clean. The cold snow seemed to make them..cleaner?!?..if that's even possible?!? My sisters, mother, and friends think that I have lost my marbles....no one can believe it has gone on this long, but I feel like it is better for my family budget and the environment, too!

I have to note that I didn't stop cold turkey, with the dryer, it was gradual. It does take more effort than throwing the clothes in the dryer. And I HAVE to keep up with the laundry....if I see that we are headed for a snow storm later in the week....you bet that I make sure all the laundry is done before hand!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #759
bear74
DIS Veteran

I can't dry mine outside as I have pretty bad allergies to pollens. I do hang most of my families clothes inside to dry. Except for the socks and towels.
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #760
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
My mom and I were talking about this the other day. If we added up all the extra expenses of a shopping trip: drinks, coffee, snacks, etc., we could probably take several extra shopping trips !! .

She was telling me about her sister who just does not eat away from home (unless eating in someone else's home). Its not a choice each time; she just never thinks about getting fast food or eating out. She thinks its a huge waste of money and even if you do talk her into grabbing a burger, she will spend the entire time telling you how many burgers she could have cooked at home for the same money. If she does travel, she packs a meal and several snacks.

I am trying to get myself in the same mind set as my aunt and just making it not an option to grab fast food. Its funny, when my boys were young I did cook every meal at home. Take out was really a treat and only for the occasional Friday night that I had to work really late or something. For some reason as they got older and after dd came along, it just became more of a habit to grab burgers or chicken 2 or 3 nights a week.
You are absolutely right. With kids, it is soooo much easier to just grab the "whatever" that the kids want or something from the drive-thru...it really does take some adjusting. But, like all habits, after not doing it for a few weeks it "hurts" less and less. And, I don't mean to say that it was only for the kids' benefit that we used to get fast food, etc.. I would litterally crave certain foods whenever at certain places, because I was so used to getting the stuff myself. (Like I was addicted or something! )

The $3 here $10 there...really adds up. Especially with three kids. I even have my husband bringing snacks and lunch with him to work. He complained at first...but now likes it. (He lost wieght from not eating all the take out.)

Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #761
elaine and the boys
DIS Veteran

I started using clothes lines in our basement last summer. That, combined with my older son going off to college (so no stereo/computer usage by 1/4 of our family), we have consistently been saving 10-15% on our electricity bill! Now, that doesn't exactly pay for college tuition or a Disney trip, but it helps!!

Offsite~Apr'76/Offsite~Dec'82/POFQ~Feb'03/CBR~Feb'04/CSR~Dec'05/Dolphin~Feb'07/
POR~Feb'08/Dolphin~Dec'09/Swan~Feb'11/POFQ~Mar'12/Swan~Feb'13/Swan~Feb'14

elaine and the boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #762
semo233
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear74 View Post
I can't dry mine outside as I have pretty bad allergies to pollens. I do hang most of my families clothes inside to dry. Except for the socks and towels.
I love my indoor foldable clothes dryer rack. I use to to dry towels and the heavier items and even those items that cannot/should not be put in the dryer. This way, you can dry them inside...especially in the winter when the air is dryer.

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #763
johde
DIS Veteran

We changed are road runner from 7mb per second to 2mb per second. The 2mb cost $15 less. Web Browsing is just as fast as before, downloads are a little slower though.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #764
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

I have started baking/cooking things from scratch, that I used to buy in jars or mixes. I make salad dressings, sauces, cakes, breads, etc.. I feel like it is healthier, but also I am keeping stock items that are used for multiple recipes...like sugar, flour, olive oil, potatos etc. I buy them in larger quantities and they last a long time. I end up spending less week to week on groceries.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #765
bear74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
I love my indoor foldable clothes dryer rack. I use to to dry towels and the heavier items and even those items that cannot/should not be put in the dryer. This way, you can dry them inside...especially in the winter when the air is dryer.
oh maybe I will ask for one of those for my birthday.
bear74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: