Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #61
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
didn't martha stewart say she didn't use laundry detergent? didn't she say she squirted a squirt of dish soap in the washer? does someone know about this?
I tried that once and just barely used any dish soap and it pratically overflowed my wash machine, talk about a HUGE mess
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #62
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?
 
runwad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
DH grandma calls it "Got to Go" night
We call it mustgoes..everything must go :-)
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #63
StillPinballFamily
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 431

Ok - we also make our own bread daily. As of today, I'm now mixing in Gold Medal/Pillsbury bleached flour into my beloved King Arthur regular unbleached flour to help it stretch further. Crap.

Two months ago, I was getting a 25lb. bag of the regular King Arthur flour at Costco for $7.49 - now that is the exact price (at BJs) for a 10lb. bag. (Costco only sells the 25lb. bag and BJs only sells the 10lb. bag.) EEK!

We also mix in about a cup of the KA white whole wheat flour into each batch - the kids don't notice, since it's "white," not yukky brown WHOLE WHEAT (!) - and it is healthier. The price of this hasn't gone up as much (yet!) - it was always about $5.00 for 5 lbs., but I'm sure that will be changing soon.

Also - thanks to a PP for the tip on watering down kids' shampoo! This is a great suggestion that never dawned on me. They seem to use SO much and it seems they frequently hit my pricey Biolage - those days are over now! (I stock up on this at an annual sale and get it for $12.99 a bottle rather than $30!)

Great tips here! Thanks!
StillPinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #64
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPinballFamily View Post
Ok - we also make our own bread daily. As of today, I'm now mixing in Gold Medal/Pillsbury bleached flour into my beloved King Arthur regular unbleached flour to help it stretch further. Crap.

Two months ago, I was getting a 25lb. bag of the regular King Arthur flour at Costco for $7.49 - now that is the exact price (at BJs) for a 10lb. bag. (Costco only sells the 25lb. bag and BJs only sells the 10lb. bag.) EEK!

We also mix in about a cup of the KA white whole wheat flour into each batch - the kids don't notice, since it's "white," not yukky brown WHOLE WHEAT (!) - and it is healthier. The price of this hasn't gone up as much (yet!) - it was always about $5.00 for 5 lbs., but I'm sure that will be changing soon.

Also - thanks to a PP for the tip on watering down kids' shampoo! This is a great suggestion that never dawned on me. They seem to use SO much and it seems they frequently hit my pricey Biolage - those days are over now! (I stock up on this at an annual sale and get it for $12.99 a bottle rather than $30!)

Great tips here! Thanks!

Great tips! Does the king arthur regular flour work well for bread? I use the king arthur bread flour but it's SO expensive (it was $5 for a 5 lb bag but that was awhile ago... not sure what it is now). Never thought of using some wheat - going to have to check that out!
__________________
.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #65
StillPinballFamily
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 431

Yup - the KA regular unbleached makes awesome bread! (Their special "bread flour" is very $pricey$ - haven't ever tried it, but it is probably great, too.)

We usually use 2 cups of the regular KA mixed with 1 1/3 cups of the KA white whole wheat in each of our everyday loaves. Now, I'm trying 1 cup of the lousy GoldMedal/Pillsbury bleached flour, 1 cup of the white whole wheat, and 1 1/3 cups of the regular KA. We'll see how this works...it won't be a huge savings on each loaf, but over the course of a week...a month...it will really add up.
StillPinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #66
rottiemom
DIS Veteran
 
rottiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 615

I only use the bread flour for things like french bread, muffuletta rolls or pizza dough- things that I want a crisper crust for. The difference from AP is very noticable. I use AP for everything else. I did try adding 2 cups of AP to my pizza dough this weekend but it just didn't have the right bounce & stretch. The crusts weren't as tasty & I couldn't get them nicely thin. I guess I've gotten spoiled. So has my family .

If there's a Trader Joe's near you I've heard that the KA flour is a little bit cheaper there. Don't know for how much longer.
rottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #67
84disney
Mouseketeer
 
84disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: alabama
Posts: 277

In our bathroom soap dispensers I use walmart brand baby soap with a little tea tree oil. I also cut it in half with water. That is less than half the cost of even the cheapest hand soap. The lavender scent baby soap smells good with the tea tree oil.
__________________
DH me DS 25 DDIL 21 DD 23 DS20 DDIL 20 DD18 DS16 DS 7
84disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #68
chefkellyb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Street, Maryland
Posts: 135

I called my phone company a few days ago and canceled several services like caller id, call waiting, and voice messaging. This alone is saving us about $20.00 a month! And not missing them one bit! I was tempted to reduce it further with a "limited calls made out" plan for another $10 savings- but chickened out. Baby steps...
chefkellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #69
sunnyday123
Someone hand me my drool towel
I think my eyes were crossed for a week
 
sunnyday123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Under The Sea
Posts: 4,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyann29 View Post
Ive been doing this for years.. I always hated buying napkins or paper towels..

The only time when I might buy one pack is when we are having a cookout or party and numerous people are coming over.. but on a day to day basis we use the extra dish towels that I bought..
I thought about this, but aren't you washing alot more?
__________________
me DD :and
sunnyday123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #70
MrsKreamer
Moo
The third batch of pancakes is the charm
skinny jeans are the devil
 
MrsKreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: HOME!!! New Orleans
Posts: 4,689

When making the box mac and cheese I either combine two boxes of noodles to one cheese packet or just add walmart brand elbow macaroni. I find my kids like it better than full strength. I add a little bit more milk.
__________________
MrsKreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #71
MrsKreamer
Moo
The third batch of pancakes is the charm
skinny jeans are the devil
 
MrsKreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: HOME!!! New Orleans
Posts: 4,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday123 View Post
I thought about this, but aren't you washing alot more?
I do this too, and honestly no, I am not washing anymore than just washing towels.
__________________
MrsKreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #72
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,580

Combine trips - with gas so expensive, stay home unless you NEED to run to the store or the baby won't have diapers until you have a list long enough to justify a trip. Make all your stops at once. Swing by the store on your way somewhere else. Don't start your car to drive across the parking lot - if the pet food place is two doors over, walk.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #73
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
I only use the bread flour for things like french bread, muffuletta rolls or pizza dough- things that I want a crisper crust for. The difference from AP is very noticable. I use AP for everything else. I did try adding 2 cups of AP to my pizza dough this weekend but it just didn't have the right bounce & stretch. The crusts weren't as tasty & I couldn't get them nicely thin. I guess I've gotten spoiled. So has my family .

If there's a Trader Joe's near you I've heard that the KA flour is a little bit cheaper there. Don't know for how much longer.
haha well pretty much what I bake is french bread and pizza dough - so maybe I'd better stick with the bread flour. We don't go through it THAT quickly so I can just suck it up, I guess.
__________________
.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #74
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS
 
Tarheel Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)
Posts: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl View Post
I cut Dove facial cloths in half - still works the same.
Excellent idea! It works great- thank you!
__________________
DIS member since 9/98 and dang proud of it!

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #75
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKreamer View Post
When making the box mac and cheese I either combine two boxes of noodles to one cheese packet or just add walmart brand elbow macaroni. I find my kids like it better than full strength. I add a little bit more milk.
I wouldn't have thought of that.

I forget who suggested watering down laundry detergent, and using the soak feature but I've started doing that. I know I've been using too much soap in the past and this helps me to use the right amount. Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for the tips. It's amazing how little changes add up!
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: