Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #46
Brenna&Noah's Mom
Mouseketeer

I use the dryer sheets to clean my bathtub and shower.Save them as you take out the clothes from the dryer.I was amazed at how clean my shower got.I also clean with baking soda ..it is only 30 cents at wally world.

Disneyland Hotel Resort 2008
Animal Kingdom lodge 2010 Christmas
Brenna&Noah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #47
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenna&Noah's Mom View Post
I use the dryer sheets to clean my bathtub and shower.Save them as you take out the clothes from the dryer.I was amazed at how clean my shower got.I also clean with baking soda ..it is only 30 cents at wally world.
How do you use them to clean??

OCT 2005---POFQ
NOV 2006---AKL CONCIERGE
MAY 2008---BOARDWALK, DOLPHIN, WONDER CRUISE
OCT 2010---TREEHOUSE VILLAS
OCT 2012---POFQ
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #48
Brenna&Noah's Mom
Mouseketeer

Wet them with water.There is something in them (dryer sheets)that can get the soap scum off.

Disneyland Hotel Resort 2008
Animal Kingdom lodge 2010 Christmas
Brenna&Noah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #49
annsteere
DIS Veteran

The new concentrated, Ultra dish soaps are a good idea for the environment since they use less plastic. But, DH and DD squirt the same amount of dish soap into the pan regardless of whether or not it is concentrated.

So, I keep and extra, empty soap bottle and when I buy a new bottle I empty about 1/3 of it and store the concentrate in my stash bottle. I replace that concentrate with water. When the one at the sink gets down to about 1/3 of a bottle I refill from my stash and dilute as appropriate.
annsteere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #50
mnasmom3
Dear mnasmom3,
You are not tagless
Sincerely,
The Snarky Purple Fairy

I started making my own laundry detergent. Surprisingly fast and easy to do. It's no Tide, but I've never had a pretreated stain not come out.

I stopped buying most paper and plastic products. I did this more to save the environment than money, but it has both perks. Tupperware instead of baggies, cloth napkins instead of paper, etc.

I stopped using the heated dry cycle on the dishwasher.

Vinegar has a TON of uses http://www.vinegartips.com/ I use it instead of fabric softener. I use it instead of Jet Dry. I use it to clean my kitchen and bathroom. I use it for much more but not as often. It's cheap at Costco.

I only use my dryer for jeans and towels. I line dry everything else.

Swapped out old lightbulbs for CFL bulbs.

I'm sure there's more. We've been really pinching pennies over here lately.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #51
jmtf2004
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Please skip the fabric softener!

It is significantly better (and cheaper!) for you and your clothes to use vinegar to soften your clothes. And no the vinegar smell does not stay on your clothes. Fabric softeners contain all kinds of really nasty chemicals. ..that is why they use strong fragrances - to cover up the smell of them. Check out the info here:
http://www.life.ca/nl/110/softener.html
http://www.world-wire.com/news/0205210001.html
And skip the air fresheners too!
Make sure you clean the lint trap of your dryer every time - and wash the lint trap periodically to allow for best air circulation. Make sure your dryer vent is clear too. If your dryer can't vent properly it will run longer, wasting energy and $$. I have also read that the residue left on clothes by fabric softener makes them more flammable.
You can use vinegar and baking soda to replace most of your household cleaning products. Commercial window cleaner has waxes in it - this is why you can get streaks - especially if you try to clean your windows with vinegar. To remove the wax, first you clean your glass with a mixture of 2.5 cups white vinegar mixed with 1/2 tsp of dish soap - put this in a spray bottle. Spray on the glass, wait half a minute, then dry and polish with a dry rag. After that you will be able to clean it with pure vinegar, no streaks! Way cheaper too.
Use borax or heated vinegar to remove soap scum - do this right after the tub or shower was used so it's already softened.
Lots of other ideas:
We changed most of our light bulbs to compact fluorescent (CF) bulbs - they are more expensive than conventional incandescents, but use a fraction of the energy and produce good quality light. It doesn't take long to recover the extra cost for the bulbs. We use power bars and switch them off for the computers and TV every night. Unplug all chargers once items are charged. It is estimated that 10% of electricity consumption is due to phantom power usage - the power your TV, computer and chargers use when they are 'off'. At Christmas we only use LED lights - like CF's these cost more to purchase but LED's literally cost pennies to operate. We bought them a bit at a time - often there are coupons to save $$ on the LED lights close to the time holiday decorations are going up. Both the LED lights and CF bulbs last much longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, so again, the initial cost is more, but in the long run they are significantly less $$.
Use cold water rinse for laundry.
Do as much baking as you can with your toaster oven...much less expensive than heating your whole oven.
Make sure you shut lights off when you leave the room. Use a programmable thermostat on your furnace or A/C. Turn the temp down in the winter/up in the summer when you are sleeping or are away from home. Use ceiling fans as much as possible rather than A/C.
Use refillable containers for lunches for sandwiches, carrot sticks, snacks, and drinks - insulated, reusable lunch bags too. We don't use large garbage bags either. Our trash goes into reused grocery store bags, then these go into our garbage pail. The garbage pail goes out to the curb for pick up, then we bring in the pail afterwards. I just can't bring myself to spend extra $$ on bags just to put into the trash.
I am reading a few books on going green. A really good one is 'Organic Housekeeping" by Ellen Sandbeck. Lots of great tips to save lots of $$, not just the environment. Hopefully your local library has a copy!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #52
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenna&Noah's Mom View Post
Wet them with water.There is something in them (dryer sheets)that can get the soap scum off.
I'm going to try that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnasmom3 View Post
I started making my own laundry detergent. Surprisingly fast and easy to do.
I used to make the liquid detergent that uses borax and a couple other things -- boy, did it clean! It was best on whites, but it faded colors a little. I figured up the cost (this was probably 6-7 years ago), and it was only something like .02 per washload. I'd make it 2-3 times per year, and it lasted forever.

I don't make it anymore now that I have an HE frontloader washer. I'm afraid it'd damage my machine, and the savings isn't worth the risk. Plus I've found a cheaper place to buy detergent, so it's not so worthwhile anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnasmom3 View Post
I stopped using the heated dry cycle on the dishwasher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtf2004 View Post

Make sure you clean the lint trap of your dryer every time . . . We changed most of our light bulbs to compact fluorescent (CF) bulbs . . . Use cold water rinse for laundry . . .
I've always been frugal, so I can't cut back in ways like this! Another good book for ideas like this is The Complete Tightwad Gazette.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #53
Snuffy5
Earning My Ears

I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned freecycle.org
You can give or get anything thru this! I have seen lawn mowers listed, kids clothes, toys, etc... You name it people are giving it away & it's free! You just have to be willing to give away a few things to get a few!
I also have a HE washer & I use about 1/3 to 1/2 the recommended amount and my clothes always come out clean, in cold no less!
Lot's of great tips here!

Snuffy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #54
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

didn't martha stewart say she didn't use laundry detergent? didn't she say she squirted a squirt of dish soap in the washer? does someone know about this?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #55
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

The best budget tip for me was taking a recent trip to the UK and Ireland (where my son lives). Man, everything is so darn expensive there, and our dollar is worth squat, that everything looks like a deal here! No more complaining about prices from me! UK people, I am so sorry for the prices you pay for everything!!

That said, we will combine trips more when going out in the car. Now that we are eating healthy, we are also going out to eat much less.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #56
PrincessKitty1
Epcot is my happy place.

I found that bringing lunch to work is not enough--I ended up buying food at work because lunch did not sustain me for the whole day(I work in a hospital, and there are about 10 fast-food kiosks in addition to the cafeteria! ).

Now I bring lunch, AND cheese and crackers for a snack, AND almonds for a snack, AND a banana...you get the idea. I bring lots of food so that I'm not tempted to buy.

I dry my clothes (like 10 minutes) to get the wrinkles out of them, then hang them in the laundry room to finish drying (no line drying here--my area is too humid/rainy/sunny for line drying, not to mention that lots of birds in the yard+ lots of bird poop!).

I hate to drink water, so I add a slug of grape juice to my water and it tastes great. A dietician at my hospital says NOBODY, including kids, needs more than 6 oz of juice a day max--it's very intense sugar, so don't feel guilty about serving watered-down juice to your family.

I've stopped using paper cups and I do what my dad always did--I use one real glass a day and I store it in the refrigerator so it doesn't get dusty. I use a new glass every day rather than for every drink.

The Dolphin Fountain (photo taken from our room!)

PrincessKitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #57
bettyann29
Heres my contribution for today...
It looks like everyone is trying to divert their eyes elsewhere
I cant eat the ones that are not folded or creased.. Does that make me crazy??

Location: Dallas/ Ft Worth Texas-- Dreaming of one day being closer to the House of the Mouse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
Give up paper towels and paper napkins. Buy a bunch of good quality (on sale of course!) white dish towels. They will last forever, can be bleached of stains and can be used for drying hands and are great for covering laps really well while eating...so they're perfect with kids...less stains on clothing!
Ive been doing this for years.. I always hated buying napkins or paper towels..

The only time when I might buy one pack is when we are having a cookout or party and numerous people are coming over.. but on a day to day basis we use the extra dish towels that I bought..
bettyann29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #58
kansas_visitors
Traci

Just bumping, I'm enjoying all the tips.

Our Disney Trips: DL-April 1997, WDW-POR-May 29-31, 2006,WDW-POR-Dec 9-17, 2006, WDW-POR Dec 17-28, 2007, WDW-POP Dec 4-12, 2011, WDW-POP/POR May 26- June 4, 2013, WDW-POR Dec 17-25, 2013, WDW-POP May 21-27, 2014
kansas_visitors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #59
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKitty1 View Post
I found that bringing lunch to work is not enough--I ended up buying food at work because lunch did not sustain me for the whole day(I work in a hospital, and there are about 10 fast-food kiosks in addition to the cafeteria! ).

Now I bring lunch, AND cheese and crackers for a snack, AND almonds for a snack, AND a banana...you get the idea. I bring lots of food so that I'm not tempted to buy.

I dry my clothes (like 10 minutes) to get the wrinkles out of them, then hang them in the laundry room to finish drying (no line drying here--my area is too humid/rainy/sunny for line drying, not to mention that lots of birds in the yard+ lots of bird poop!).

I hate to drink water, so I add a slug of grape juice to my water and it tastes great. A dietician at my hospital says NOBODY, including kids, needs more than 6 oz of juice a day max--it's very intense sugar, so don't feel guilty about serving watered-down juice to your family.

I've stopped using paper cups and I do what my dad always did--I use one real glass a day and I store it in the refrigerator so it doesn't get dusty. I use a new glass every day rather than for every drink.

Along the same lines, I carry a snack/reading bag with me when I'm on the go. I also carry usually a plastic cup of ice water but when it won't do I stash a bottle of water. It really has cut down dramatically on my fast food purchases. I bring a book, current magazine and a handful of papers from my kid's school. So if I find myself waiting (I often do) it keeps me from watching the clock. Good for stress reduction. It's just a little tote
bag, but it holds a lot!!

ETA- I bring cereal bars, cashews, and fruit.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #60
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarr5 View Post
We had these many a night growing up, only they were called "Shut up and eat it"
DH grandma calls it "Got to Go" night
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: