Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #31
BeckyScott
I am still upset that they don't make the Hello Kitty clogs in adult sizes

re: the tuna cakes-

I've always made them just with tuna, some sort of bread product, egg, and seasonings.

But you can use lots of different stuff for the bread product. My grandma always used saltine crackers crushed up. I made them once with some stale Cheez-Its and they were fantastic. Who woulda thought? I have also made them with the little crumbies in the potato chip bag. It's a really good way to use up that odd leftover stuff, and stale doesn't matter.
BeckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
When making seasoned meat for tacos I use a 50/50 mix of browned ground turkey and cooked brown rice - once the seasoning is added it is very difficult to tell that the rice is not turkey - would also work with beef.
ohh i like that idea
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #33
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarr5 View Post
We had these many a night growing up, only they were called "Shut up and eat it"
I know what you mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonlady1001 View Post
My sister just taught me Tuna Cakes. A can of tuna (or 2) drained, a box of stuffing, some mayo, relish, a little water for the stuffing....viola! Make patties and brown/crisp them in some olive oil til heated through. My DH loved them. I think he ate 5! LOL DD wouldn't touch it, but she's 3 and decided she's going to be picky.
I make something similar but I use canned crabmeat instead of tuna fish. We really like them and they are super easy to make and they actually reheat pretty good.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
TexasTodds
Mouseketeer

If we have a ham steak and have a little leftover, I dice it, and then add it to scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese over the top. Or, I would use the leftover ham (again diced) or any form of porkchop or porkroast (diced) to make fried rice. If it doesn't fit in the menu for that week I freeze it in a small bag and wait till I accumulate more, and then do the fried rice with frozen eggrolls or potstickers.

Also, so it seems that we aren't having the same things alot, whenever we have spaghetti I always cook a box of mini penne pasta (or small ziti) and mix that with the leftover sauce and layer with mozzerella (sometimes I will add a little seasoned sour cream for filling if we have some leftover). I immediately put the in the freezer for the next week.

My family isn't big on leftovers so I really try to either just split casserole recipes so that one can go in the freezer, or plan another meal with the leftover meat that is just a different reincarnation of the first. I rarely think they notice. I have had to be creative since our eating out budget has gotten so small and we are eating at home so much more!
TexasTodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #35
aidensmom73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd&Copper View Post
Since no one has answered you yet - yes, in the same compartment you would put the JetDry in. I have been using white vinegar for this for ages and it works just as well as JetDry IMO.
Thanks. Does the dishwasher or dishes then smell like vinegar?
aidensmom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #36
RN01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickibean View Post
A tip I got from this board:

You don't need a full dryer sheet. I rip mine in half and never notice the difference.
I sort of do this. Instead of ripping them in half I reuse 2 used sheets together. If I have a smaller load I just use one.
RN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #37
Amii
Mouseketeer

Unplug things that use electricity that have the power saver mode on them. I recently heard that they use as much electricity as a lightbulb when they are on power saver mode.

Hang clothes out to dry instead of using dryer.

Use the library to get movies.
Amii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #38
DianaPrincessofWales
DIS Veteran

I have started using my small tupperware containers for packing lunch in place of baggies. They are getting so expensive, so I use as many washable containers as possible. I still use some baggies but not near as many and I've noticed I don't need to buy them as often. I really like the sandwich holders and those little cups for jello/pudding/crackers/fruit/veggies/dips/snacks! My way of "going green"!

We have been very dedicated in using our local library for books, movies and magazines! I've already paid for those with my hard earned tax dollars!!
DianaPrincessofWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #39
Cherbear013
Bear

Tricks up my sleeve

My bf and I are picky about laundry detergent - we like the all natural Seventh Generation brand. I found a great deal at drugstore.com where a 100oz. bottle was about $10 and then I also got free shipping.

I signed up for ebates so if I need to buy something online I go through them and I get a percentage back. Not a whole lot, but its something.

I bought an Entertainment book for $15. It cost me up front but my bf and I can try new restaurants and usually get a 2-for-1 dinner. You can also go online and look at different cities to print up coupons if you are travelling through. I think they are now on sale for $9.99.

Every once in a while I like to have a cold soda as I'm running errands. I've found that bringing your own cup only costs $.84 or less. I filled a 44oz. cup for that amount. Or if you drink more Wal-Mart has some of the 2 liter Coke products for $1. That lasts a long time.

Sign up for grocery / retail saver cards. I have a collection of these on my keychain. They are free and can save you some money. Borders sends me coupons all the time, they even text me so I can save on printing paper. I have ones for Best Buy and DSW, so when my mom or bf goes to these stores they'll give my phone number so I get the points. Then you get coupons back in the mail.

I am a member of swapacd, swapadvd and paperbackswap. These are great sites to trade media without having to buy anything. The only you pay for is when you ship one of your own items which is usually no more than $2.

Hope that helped someone!
March 1996 - Polynesian
March 1999 - Port Orleans
June 2001 - Peabody
August 2007 - Pop Century
June & September 2008 - Pop Century
January 2012 - Disneyland

(Me 27) (DH 32) (5 months)
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaPrincessofWales View Post
I have started using my small tupperware containers for packing lunch in place of baggies. They are getting so expensive, so I use as many washable containers as possible. I still use some baggies but not near as many and I've noticed I don't need to buy them as often. I really like the sandwich holders and those little cups for jello/pudding/crackers/fruit/veggies/dips/snacks! My way of "going green"!

We have been very dedicated in using our local library for books, movies and magazines! I've already paid for those with my hard earned tax dollars!!
i use butter containers
Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #41
Vickibean
Mouseketeer

I am still using the baggies. It is just my opinion, but the cost of the baggie (not ziploc) can't be more than than the cost of water, soap and electricity for running the dishwasher.

Vicki DS13 DS8
DH and his crew: 23, 17, 13, and grandbaby

2010 couch potato, 2011 , 2012 , 2014
Vickibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #42
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickibean View Post
I am still using the baggies. It is just my opinion, but the cost of the baggie (not ziploc) can't be more than than the cost of water, soap and electricity for running the dishwasher.
I use baggies too. It is pretty cheap (500 for $6ish) but I worry about the amount of plastic I am throwing away. But I make up lots of baggies all at once so I don't have to do it every morning - and I don't have that many containers!
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #43
Princess April
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1928 View Post
Another along the same lines...don't use fabric softener, use vinegar instead (it really does work, I promise!!). Vinegar also works well instead of JetDry in the dishwasher.
I saw something about this on another thread... do you put it in the "Downey Ball" or do you have pour it in by hand? Also, how much do you use? I will be doing the laundry tommorrow and guess what?!? I'm fresh out of liquid fabric softner and I would love to try this idea... I have pleanty of vinegar at home.
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Princess April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #44
musclemouse
DIS Veteran

I think I am good at this...

I shop at ALDI for most of my groceries. Check online at ALDI.com for a location near you. Don't be afraid of this store. I was at first but the food (I SWEAR TO YOU) is so much better tasting than your traditional brands you see at the other stores. Really really you have to try it out. Save so much money on yummy foods.

I'm not a coupon clipper because usually it's things I wouldn't normally buy in the first place. I have joined many websites (johnson and johnson, glad, etc...you get the idea) and they send coupons. I have recieved many freebies and coupons for free items.

I don't use ground beef - too expensive and bad for you. In place of that I use ground turkey. I don't buy Mac and cheese, I make homemade. Some nights we have BLT's, tomato soup w/grilled cheese, breakfast for dinner, quesadillas (soooo inexpensive). Kabobs, grilled chicken salad.

If you buy ice glazed bags of chicken...thaw cut in half (to thin out) and use one-half as one portion.

What I do...
*use half the laundry detergent they recommend (let soak first)
*salvation army for clothes
*craigslist (not not not Ebay)
*Mom2Mom sales (sell and shop)
*Buy items that could be great gifts for someone WHEN on sale.
*Make my own cards
*Offer my services to others at lowest price...word gets around (I make candy bar wrappers and mom cards for other moms (phone numbers, addresses...etc.)
*Workout at home NOT the gym
*Use Netflix instead of renting at a store

If I think of anymore....
musclemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #45
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I've been using half dryer sheets for years. Whenever I open a new box, I cut all of them in half at once. I use whatever "Free and Clear" detergent is on sale (often Sun or Purex) and use half the recommended amount, unless items are really dirty. For DH's clothes I use whatever detergent is cheapest. I can't wear items that have been washed in scented detergent, but he can! I wash everything in cold except unmentionables and really dirty socks. I hang a lot to dry, even in winter. I have limited space indoors, so I often do a load daily instead of several at once. An added advantage is that our clothes look good for years...to the point where I'm just tired of wearing them!

Turning off the heated dry option on the dishwasher made a noticable difference in our electric bill. I turn off lights, unplugged chargers, etc. I can't convince DH to put the living room electronics on a power strip to turn off, though. Apparently it's too much work to turn on the power strip before sitting down to watch TV!

I shop second-hand and discount stores when I get new clothes. I don't think anyone will care if my khakis came from JC Penney, Walmart, or the second-hand shop, as long as they look good!

I shop Save-a-Lot for a lot of our groceries. Our store is very clean, and the meat department is quite good. Their generic brands are delicious, and I've never been disappointed with them. Since it's just groceries, I don't get pulled into other departments like I do at Super Walmart! I buy bread at the Country Kitchen "thrift store"-day-old bread. Good bread for half the price of the grocery store.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: