Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #16
thomascaldwell1
DIS Veteran

I have to second the 'not using as much laundry detergeant as suggested' tip. I bought a large container at Sam's Club last year (we only go every 3-6 months to stock up on cleaning supplies and other things I can get in bulk that we will use) and am still using it... I have the one with the push-button versus the screw-off top. I push the button while swirling the bottle around the opening of the washer two times, and that'e enough soap. By FAR not what is suggested on the bottle- but my clothes are clean, and fresh.

I like the vinegar idea- will have to give it a shot. Thanks so much!

thomascaldwell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
rottiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
I have a dish that I make - one of my many "make-something-out-of-nothing" dishes - and all it consists of is cooked and drained elbow macaroni, a can or two of diced tomatoes (with the juice), and seasoned with oregano.. You could also add garlic salt, grated cheese, any kind of vegetable you like, cooked hamburger or whatever..
How funny is this! That's what we're having for dinner tonight . My husband's mom used to make something like this all of the time. She called it American Chop Suey (apparantly the name is a New England thing but it's known as goulash or Johnny Marzetti). We make it with cooked chop meat, sauteed onions & celery. It's very good, filling & easy to stretch.
rottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
tcarr5
I suffer from Disneyitus!
you turned her arm and her chest went from "flat to fluffy"

Quote:
"make-something-out-of-nothing"
We had these many a night growing up, only they were called "Shut up and eat it"
Sept/Oct 2000-WDW-offsite best western/August 2001-WDW-onsite all stars-music/courtyard marriot/August 2005-WDW-onsite all stars-music/August 2007-WDW-onsite all stars sports/October 2009-WDW-onsite Pop Century/May 5 2010-DL for the day /December 2010-WDW-onsite Pop Century/December 2011-WDW-onsite POP Century

EBAY ID tcarr5 "When life knocks you to your knees, your in the PERFECT position to PRAY!"
tcarr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #19
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Yup- vinegar works great in the wash- my biggest problem is it's expensive to buy lately...... so I haven't been!
We also have a leftover night,but I usually call it "buffet night" where we all pick what we want from all the containers on the counter (like Chef Mickeys,haha) it works well,
and I also re-use leftover scraps to make dog food( I know what NOT to feed them) to stretch that expensive corn free dog kibble I buy...... (gasp! think of it,dogs eating actual food?!?! like they did for thousands of years before dog food companies began marketing.... )
Make and use cloth napkins and dishtowels
Add extra water to OJ concentrate too
drink water almost all the time at home with a Brita filter
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
Avonlady1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a dish that I make - one of my many "make-something-out-of-nothing" dishes - and all it consists of is cooked and drained elbow macaroni, a can or two of diced tomatoes (with the juice), and seasoned with oregano..
LOL Mom calls this "Rocking Chairs." Loved it growing up & now it's one of my DD's faves, too.

My sister just taught me Tuna Cakes. A can of tuna (or 2) drained, a box of stuffing, some mayo, relish, a little water for the stuffing....viola! Make patties and brown/crisp them in some olive oil til heated through. My DH loved them. I think he ate 5! LOL DD wouldn't touch it, but she's 3 and decided she's going to be picky.
Avonlady1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #21
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom73 View Post
Do you pour the white vinegar in the same compartment that you would the Jet Dry?
Since no one has answered you yet - yes, in the same compartment you would put the JetDry in. I have been using white vinegar for this for ages and it works just as well as JetDry IMO.
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #22
kellijo
Mouseketeer

One thing we do is add a little bit of pasta to the boxes of Pasta Roni (along with water and milk). We needed more than 1 (6 people - 2 adults, 7,7,3,1) but then we always had leftovers that no one ever ate. So I started adding some pasta out of the spagetti jar to make just enough. You just have to be careful not to put too much or it absorbs all the sauce (have to remember the extra milk and water).

DH ME DD9 DD9 DD5 DS3
kellijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
Taximom
Mouseketeer

I never throw out the plastic grocery bags. I hang it on the laundry door, off my kitchen, and throw all my paper/dry garbage in it. Sure saves on the tall kitchen garbage bags!
I also have my paper towels, on top of the refridge...not convenient for the kids, and we use far less! Last year when I wasn't working, I never bought them, but I sure missed them when I made bacon.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My sister just taught me Tuna Cakes. A can of tuna (or 2) drained, a box of stuffing, some mayo, relish, a little water for the stuffing....viola! Make patties and brown/crisp them in some olive oil til heated through. My DH loved them. I think he ate 5! LOL DD wouldn't touch it, but she's 3 and decided she's going to be picky.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, what kind of stuffing. DS is picky eater but loves tunafish so I'm thinking. . .

Another thing I do which drives my kids crazy. When we go out for fast food, I get a refill of sweet tea right before I leave. Then when I get home I drink it the rest of the night and the next day,by diluting it with water. I usually only drink unsweet tea. Plus every time we go to chick-fil-a we load up on ALL their condiments,saving them for the rental house on vacation.
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #25
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2nascar View Post
We have cut back on buying bottled water. It was easier to get my kids to drink water that way but I have sold them on the sports bottles. They use the reuseable bottles when playing outside or bike riding. I wash them in the dish washer for next time.

I liked those pledge duster things when they came out. I got them with coupons free or really cheap. I have found a $1 for 2 replacement at Weis in Dollar Zone. There dryer sheet $1 for 20 sheets aren't too bad cut in half of course. We cut back on paper plates and plastic throw out cups too. We run the dishwasher every night after dinner so we have been using real plates and glasses.
my dd teacher taught me this great dusting tip take an old broom and spray it with pledge then use it to dust. It works great!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
DisneyAprilFool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellijo View Post
One thing we do is add a little bit of pasta to the boxes of Pasta Roni (along with water and milk). We needed more than 1 (6 people - 2 adults, 7,7,3,1) but then we always had leftovers that no one ever ate. So I started adding some pasta out of the spagetti jar to make just enough. You just have to be careful not to put too much or it absorbs all the sauce (have to remember the extra milk and water).

That's a good idea- I'm going to have to try that! With 5 people eating, we go through a whole box of 'whatever' when we eat it and the kids always want more- they end up having a peanut butter sandwich instead. This sounds like it will work great though

EuroDisney '95~Honeymoon@WDW '04~ Christmas@DLR '07~ Free Dining@WDW(POP) '08~ MTOT@DLR '08~
Christmas@DLR '08~
DLR with the WHOLE family soon...
DisneyAprilFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #27
MEM
DIS Veteran

When making seasoned meat for tacos I use a 50/50 mix of browned ground turkey and cooked brown rice - once the seasoning is added it is very difficult to tell that the rice is not turkey - would also work with beef.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #28
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

I put my dishsoap in a pump type bottle (I use an old liquid hand soap container) and mix it with water. Most of my dishes go in the dishwasher, but for handwashing my coffee pot and misc other stuff, I just use a squirt of the soap/water mix. I find that the dishsoap is way too concentrated and just gets wasted if I don't mix it with water.

I also water down the handsoap in the bathroom. My kids use wayyyy too much soap otherwise. I also water down the kids shampoo and my husbands shampoo. They seem to "need" a great big handful whether it is watered down or not. I don't water mine down but I only use a small amount.

I water down the kids juice to make it stretch. Hmmm... now that I think about it, I water down just about everything, LOL!

I started ripping up all of the old teeshirts and clothes that were too stained or worn to donate or pass on to other people and using them to clean with instead of paper towels.

My kids often need to wipe up their face after meals, playing outside, etc. and we go through quite a few baby wipes. I now rip them in half and they last much longer.

I also rip dryer sheets in half.

I just started using the soak cycle on my washing machine more too. I let the clothes soak and then only run the wash cycle for half the time I normally would. Saves on electric and I haven't noticed any difference in the way my clothes look or smell.

I stopped using the heated dry cycle on my dishwasher. My electric bill dropped quite a bit by doing this.

I only buy the paper towels that you can 'select-a-size'. I found that shoprite even has their own brand of these. I go through far less paper towels than when I buy the larger sheets.

I haven't been buying jetdry and really miss it! I'm definitely going to try the vinegar in my dishwasher!
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #29
minnie1928
WDW addict

For the vinegar questions, I use plain old white vinegar. I pour it directly into the washer machine fabric softener dispenser in the same amount that I would for regular fabric softener. The dishwasher - I pour it in the same place as I would the JetDry stuff.

LMT Loser and proud of it!

U u
minnie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1928 View Post
Another along the same lines...don't use fabric softener, use vinegar instead (it really does work, I promise!!). Vinegar also works well instead of JetDry in the dishwasher.
Related topic: You can use about half the "recommended amount" of dishwasher detergent or laundry detergent, and your things'll be clean! Use a little less and a little less each time until you discover your "minimum level" -- then stay there.

I have no idea what JetDry is, and I've survived more than four decades; thus, it's obviously not a need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happily single View Post
I water down all juices and fruit drinks, ice tea, etc. The kids don't notice the difference, they get more liquid and less sugar
I serve ice water in fancy stemmed glasses at meals, and the kids LOVE it -- seems so much more grown-up than the same water in a Tupperware cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiemom View Post
How funny is this! That's what we're having for dinner tonight . My husband's mom used to make something like this all of the time. She called it American Chop Suey (apparantly the name is a New England thing but it's known as goulash or Johnny Marzetti). We make it with cooked chop meat, sauteed onions & celery. It's very good, filling & easy to stretch.
Another way to stretch a few leftovers: Leftovers make great twice-baked potatoes. Bake a big potato for each family member, then mush up the potato "insides" with the leftovers, stuff it all back into the potato shells, and return it to the oven for 10-15 minutes. This works well if you have a little bit of meat leftover (how else can you make one pork chop and half a chicken breast feed the whole family?) and a little bit of vegetable. Depending upon what I have, I might toss in some cheeses, or even make a small amount of cheese sauce.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: