Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #151
rottiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd&Copper View Post
I tried tomato plants the past two years. Last year, I got about 10 tomatoes total. The year before, I don't think I even got 5. And vine ripened tomatoes were on sale at Food Lion this week for $1.29/lb. Between the constant watering (the plants need lots of water), the fertilizer and the daily search for giant tomato worms (SOOOOOOOOOO nasty), I decided to give it a rest this year. Maybe next year I'll try again, but I am tired of being disappointed with the tomatoes. My herbs, however, are doing swimmingly!

Good luck with your plants!
Every year I try tomatoes and every year I'm lucky if I get a handful before the frost sets in. I had one year where there was a month's worth of nonstop yellow pear tomatoes and it was heaven. Last year I got 5 tiny, tasteless, dry specimens. I also didn't get a single zucchini last year because we had a woodchuck that would come by & harvest the flowers before I had a chance to. I spotted him in the driveway this weekend, apparantly he's setting up housekeeping underneath our shed . So I feel like I'm planting a garden for the woodchuck.

I've actually been toying with one of those upside down planter things for this year (woodchucks can't jump, right?)
rottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #152
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
You could also stretch real maple syrup with simple syrup (one part sugar, one part water, microwave) and maple flavoring.

Around our house, we use real maple syrup, but we put it in little tiny pitchers for the kids. I got sick of watching them dump half a bottle of syrup over their pancakes. The think the pitchers are cute, I find I use less syrup.
Not a bad idea..in our house we don't allow the kids to pour it themselves...sounds mean-but ds was dumping everywhere! Dh makes some from our trees,but still...... I was raised this way,use a little of the real stuff vs a lot of the fake stuff......
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #153
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
But with just 1 tomato plant I can get several tomato's. If I get too many tomato's then I will share them with other family members.
You can also make fresh spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes. I do it every year & it's so simple. I don't even blanch & peel the tomatoes - too much time. I juscut off the tops, quarter & puree them, them add some tomatoe paste & a few other things. My family won't eat any other sauce.

We should be planting our garden over the next few weeks. I can't wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandisuze View Post
I Need to STOP taking my Hubby (and sometimes) kids to the stores with me.
I always buy more than what's on my list, thus spending more money, when DH comes with me.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #154
gilby
DIS Veteran

I am going to try making my own laundry soap and using white vinegar for my fabric softner. Can you add scents to them for a little different smell?
I am excited to try this, I am sick of spending so much money on fabric softner.
2008 Pop-Century
2010 Pop-century
2011 Pop-Century
2012 POR
2013 POR
2014 pop century
2014 Pop century
gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #155
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Hi-- not sure if this is all about grocery stretching (sorry I didn't read the whole thing).. but we found a way to stretch $$ in outdoor home issues-- I for the last few years have been growing a packet or two of seed perennials. It takes year to get them going-- but I have a ton of Daisies (got to share some with my neighbors this year) and have a forget me nots, and beautiful bell flowers! Those are so expensive at the nursery, but the seeds are only 99 cents! This year I am trying to grow a butterfly weed.

We also grow our own herbs-- basil is so easy too.. and you can make it into pesto and freeze it all winter long.

have a great day!
jen
jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #156
lisaj68
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCardella View Post
I stopped using the heated dry cycle on my dishwasher and also use the china/crystal setting and cut my washing time from 104 minutes down to 35!

I read earlier in this thread that another poster uses the dryer for only towels and jeans. We hang the jeans to dry and throw them in the dryer when they are fully dry (and hard and stiff) for only 5 minutes, and they soften up as if they were in there a whole hour!

LOVE the tips here, keep them coming!
Thanks! I tried this last night and when all my jeans were dry this morning, I threw them in the dryer for 5 min. and it worked great!!!

The dryer is something that I have been trying to use less and this idea will cut back my dryer usage a ton.

Now, about whites and towels......!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #157
Kycha
I'm a grouch with a heart
The raccoon wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
The other day I was at WalMart and they had tomato plant for sale from $1.25 to $2.95 depending on what type of tomato you want.
So I thought gosh if I spend $2.95 on a plant I can spend that same amount at the grocery store and get 1 or 2 tomatos. But with just 1 tomato plant I can get several tomato's. If I get too many tomato's then I will share them with other family members.
Quote:
I tried tomato plants the past two years. Last year, I got about 10 tomatoes total. The year before, I don't think I even got 5. And vine ripened tomatoes were on sale at Food Lion this week for $1.29/lb. Between the constant watering (the plants need lots of water), the fertilizer and the daily search for giant tomato worms (SOOOOOOOOOO nasty), I decided to give it a rest this year. Maybe next year I'll try again, but I am tired of being disappointed with the tomatoes. My herbs, however, are doing swimmingly!

Good luck with your plants!
Instead of planting in the yard, try a container garden. You use much less water and don't have as many problems with pests. I had a salsa garden last year. I had 2 tomato plants and a pepper plant that did really, really well. I also had a shallow pot for lettuce(looseleaf variety-mesclun). The pot was filled with potting soil and I could just throw some lettuce seeds on the top and water. Within days, I had enough for a salad. This stuff was fast growing and prolific. One packet of seeds lasted the whole summer long. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck with the onions and garlic.
Kycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #158
NCardella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polineedyan View Post
I tried the "water down your dishsoap" advice. I just kept adding water 50/50 each time I washed. "refilling the bottle"..if you will. It totally worked, and even at a diluted state, I found that I had more than enough suds to clean the same as before..try it, it works..
I tried it too and hardly noticed a difference!

magsnden is my lil' sis
NCardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #159
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycha View Post
Instead of planting in the yard, try a container garden. You use much less water and don't have as many problems with pests. I had a salsa garden last year. I had 2 tomato plants and a pepper plant that did really, really well. I also had a shallow pot for lettuce(looseleaf variety-mesclun). The pot was filled with potting soil and I could just throw some lettuce seeds on the top and water. Within days, I had enough for a salad. This stuff was fast growing and prolific. One packet of seeds lasted the whole summer long. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck with the onions and garlic.
I have tried container gardening - had even less success with that, but thanks for the suggestion.
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #160
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

I can't grow tomatoes either! The only part of our yard that gets enough sun is the front yard...

My Mom has a great spot that faces South-- she grows tons of nice tomatoes. I think you need good soil and tons of sun!

cheers!
jen
jenniferma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #161
stahshee
wheres my Camero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCardella View Post
I tried it too and hardly noticed a difference!

I have tried that also with the shampoo and I just dose not work all the water makes all the saop come flying out. Now I do this at the end of the bottel should I do it at half way??
Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #162
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
I have tried container gardening - had even less success with that, but thanks for the suggestion.
I am trying this for the first time this year. The EPCOT flower and Garden expo had a pizza garden this year and DH promised to build me a container something like that. I currently have 7 tomato plants on my window (grown from seeds) which should have been plated last week but DH has still not built me a container and it has been raining too hard to plant anyway. I have big plans for this weekend. If it doesn't work, I figure I only spent $2 on organic seeds, $10 for soil and $10 for wood for the container (reusable next year). However, if it does work, I have a summer full of fresh tasty heirloom tomatoes.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #163
Kycha
I'm a grouch with a heart
The raccoon wins

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I really enjoy it.
Kycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #164
ticktock
I'm more of a Georgian girl myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I am trying this for the first time this year. The EPCOT flower and Garden expo had a pizza garden this year and DH promised to build me a container something like that. I currently have 7 tomato plants on my window (grown from seeds) which should have been plated last week but DH has still not built me a container and it has been raining too hard to plant anyway. I have big plans for this weekend. If it doesn't work, I figure I only spent $2 on organic seeds, $10 for soil and $10 for wood for the container (reusable next year). However, if it does work, I have a summer full of fresh tasty heirloom tomatoes.
Do you have a pic of the container? Thanks .
ticktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #165
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycha View Post
I'm trying my hand at this this year. I have a bunch of big old flower pots and thought I'd try tomato's, cukes, peppers and would love to do lettuce can i do it in a round flower pot?? I noticed you had a shallow pot you said. I figure what the heck I'll give it a try. I usually have a black thumb and quit even trying to keep flowers alive so not sure how i'll do with food
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: