Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #136
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPinballFamily View Post
OK- I am insanely cheap! I have an entire matched set of lovely large bulk storage jars.

What are they? Where did I get them?

They are the big clear plastic jars that formerly held BJs animal crackers! I use my label maker to specify the *new* contents. I've got several different types of rice, five different types of flour, sugar, oats, and other stuff. The jars have screw-on lids. The animal crackers are about $6 a jar and we truly enjoy them - but I love them even more when they're gone and I get my hands on the empty jars! The jugs are each big enough to hold about 15 lbs of flour.

Great tip! I was wondering how I'd store bulk rice and such. Thanks!

Does anyone have the GT Xpress 101? I have one that I did use quite a bit and I put it in a cabinet and forgot it. I saw a infomercial and fell in love with it again. I'd buy it all over again. I was remembering all the great omlettes and wrap sandwiches I made. LOL. I mainly used it in the summer. Great to make food "to go". I pulled it out for omlettes in the morning!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #137
Local_Girl
DIS Veteran

ooo, I like that idea for using the big plastic jars! I use the big 5-quart ice cream tubs (we *ahem* seem to have an abundance of those ) to hold lots of things. I let the kids use some for little toys, rock collections, etc. and keep some in the kitchen for holding rice, gravy-type packets, and other small stuff that would clutter up my pantry shelves. I also use them to transport cookies/treats on occasion. Not sure how air tight they are, but they seem to serve my purposes just fine.
Local_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #138
KQAN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
The best budget tip for me was taking a recent trip to the UK and Ireland (where my son lives). Man, everything is so darn expensive there, and our dollar is worth squat, that everything looks like a deal here! No more complaining about prices from me! UK people, I am so sorry for the prices you pay for everything!!
Because they get paid in pounds, the prices aren't as bad to them as they are to us yanks. And when they come to the States, everything is half off! So don't bother feeling sorry for them.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #139
KQAN
Mouseketeer

Great tips on this thread...I think the biggest theme is to just reduce the amount of single-use, throw-away items you use, because you just have to buy more. Tupperware instead of plastic bags, real towels and napkins instead of paper ones, reusable bottles instead of buying bottles of water, etc. Nobody's perfect, but making an effort to do all these things is good for both the environment and the budget!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #140
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

?

~~ Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose ~~ Janis
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #141
WDWFromTheirEyes
Mouseketeer

Great tips, I'd love to hear more.
WDWFromTheirEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #142
pigletto
DIS Veteran

My biggest stretching tip is a new addition in our home.
We were just given a chest freezer as a gift.
I can not even begin to tell you how excited I am to check out the big deals in our grocery stores (there are 3 in our town).
When there is a super (pull you into the store) sale on meat I go in and get the maximum allowed (maybe a few days in a row) and now have a freezer full of pork loin, roasts, chicken, bacon, pizzas, e.t.c all at at least half the price I would have paid with my weekly shop.
We are eating better.. stretching our budget way farther and have more choices.
I can't believe how much money we wasted because we only had our tiny fridge freezer.
And the feeling of having weeks or months worth of food in our freezer is really comforting
Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #143
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQAN View Post
Because they get paid in pounds, the prices aren't as bad to them as they are to us yanks. And when they come to the States, everything is half off! So don't bother feeling sorry for them.
That is true. Our son loves to shop here. But still..taking into account the conversion, their gas is way more than ours a gallon. In Ireland (euro's..so it costs us $1.56 to buy one euro) it was about $8-9 a gallon in his area (but what a great bus system they have). I also shopped (trying to get ahead on their Christmas shopping..then leaving the items there to save myself shipping costs), and found the prices very high on the items (I would have paid a lot less in the US), even without the conversion.

We are definately paying attention now, and combining trips.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #144
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppinswannabe View Post
So, do I just put the clothes in without any detergent, or do i put detergent in the soak? And do I just put the clothes in the washer and soak and it runs like any of the other cycles.

My soak is from 2-15 minutes, and at the end, it's an extra gentle wash/rinse.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #145
Br'erBriere
Let's Go Buffalo!

I recently bought a house (I have no idea why in this economy) but to save money for closing,couches, tv, bedsets, etc I decided to not buy any more groceries until I moved out of my apartment. I have saved a good amount thus far, and closing is going to be less than expected, so now I'm just motivated to see how long I can go without buying food while eating what I have.

Not only have I lost some weight since I have no junk food, but the creations I made thus far I am quite impressed with...

ramen noodles + two hamburger patties + manwich sauce. cut up the burgers and mixed them all in a caserol dish together and it was amazing.

ramen noodles + beef flavoring + can of peas + hot sauce = another very filling dish

I have 4 cans of tuna left, 1 box of mac and cheese, 1 box of some scalloped potatoes, 1 can of peas, a whole bunch of soup, 2 cartons of ramen noodles, and some frozen chicken. Hopefully I can make some more creations to last me for atleast a month!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #146
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Buy a tomato plant

The other day I was at WalMart and they had tomato plant for sale from $1.25 to $2.95 depending on what type of tomato you want.
So I thought gosh if I spend $2.95 on a plant I can spend that same amount at the grocery store and get 1 or 2 tomatos. But with just 1 tomato plant I can get several tomato's. If I get too many tomato's then I will share them with other family members.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #147
polineedyan
DIS Veteran

I tried the "water down your dishsoap" advice. I just kept adding water 50/50 each time I washed. "refilling the bottle"..if you will. It totally worked, and even at a diluted state, I found that I had more than enough suds to clean the same as before..try it, it works..
Old 05-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #148
Todd&Copper
Sweet Chicken, that is one that ALWAYS gets my goat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
The other day I was at WalMart and they had tomato plant for sale from $1.25 to $2.95 depending on what type of tomato you want.
So I thought gosh if I spend $2.95 on a plant I can spend that same amount at the grocery store and get 1 or 2 tomatos. But with just 1 tomato plant I can get several tomato's. If I get too many tomato's then I will share them with other family members.
I tried tomato plants the past two years. Last year, I got about 10 tomatoes total. The year before, I don't think I even got 5. And vine ripened tomatoes were on sale at Food Lion this week for $1.29/lb. Between the constant watering (the plants need lots of water), the fertilizer and the daily search for giant tomato worms (SOOOOOOOOOO nasty), I decided to give it a rest this year. Maybe next year I'll try again, but I am tired of being disappointed with the tomatoes. My herbs, however, are doing swimmingly!

Good luck with your plants!
Todd&Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #149
polineedyan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
My biggest stretching tip is a new addition in our home.
We were just given a chest freezer as a gift.
I can not even begin to tell you how excited I am to check out the big deals in our grocery stores (there are 3 in our town).
When there is a super (pull you into the store) sale on meat I go in and get the maximum allowed (maybe a few days in a row) and now have a freezer full of pork loin, roasts, chicken, bacon, pizzas, e.t.c all at at least half the price I would have paid with my weekly shop.
We are eating better.. stretching our budget way farther and have more choices.
I can't believe how much money we wasted because we only had our tiny fridge freezer.
And the feeling of having weeks or months worth of food in our freezer is really comforting
If you like beef, just by a side of beef from a butcher. Youll pay heavy at first, but you can get a whole (or half) cow in there!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #150
sandisuze
Every Thursday I take Pudge the fish a peanut butter sandwich...

the best way I have found to stretch my budget-very painless

I Need to STOP taking my Hubby (and sometimes) kids to the stores with me.

Example :last night hubby and I go to Publix only for milk and eggs for Breakfast.
I had 10.00 & didn't bring my wallet- I wasn't driving
Hubby Brings wallet- HE spends 35.00
I am at the checkout lane.
so I think back to Target and Sams visits and realize I go over budget cause DH is with me. He either distracts me from my list or slips stuff in the cart.

DD is not so bad she is very good about not asking for stuff
Stepson is another story -ya would think at 15 he would stop begging for stuff.
DH is staying Home - just gotta figure out a way to keep him away from my shopping trips!
I love him very much.. but he's gonna cut into my WDW funds and that's NOT good!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: