Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 5

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Day 5 – Geeks, Parades and Fireworks
Tuesday 16th April

I was awake early again and took myself off to my normal reading place. It occurred to me that I was going to miss this when we moved to Old Key West on Friday.

At 6:30, off I went to Roaring Fork to get the breakfast supplies for me and the kids and then back to the room, where everyone was up and about with the exception of Daniel. By now, Daniel seemed to have well and truly settled into the routine – a late bedtime and a lie-in. It was rare for him to be up before 7:30 – wish he’d do that at home!

Today, Gary, Chuck and Reeny (aka the ‘geeks’) were off to Kennedy Space Centre. We knew Daniel and the girls would probably not enjoy it so I was staying behind with them and we planned to spend the day at Magic Kingdom. To be honest, I was definitely ready for a break from the in-laws and I think they were ready for a break fromt he kids so it worked out perfectly Everyone was ready by 8:30 so Gary and the in-laws went down to the valet podium to collect the car while the kids and I headed for the bus stops. Although there is a boat that runs to the Magic Kingdom, Daniel wanted to go on the bus and, as this day was all about the kids, that was fine by me. We had to wait quite a while but finally one turned up and we were off. As we left Wilderness Lodge, we noticed that Gary and the others were in front of us and when we stopped at the lights, we all waved madly at each other. The other people on the bus must have thought we were bonkers!

Unfortunately, we arrived at MK too late to see the opening ceremony - this was the only park where we've never been in time for it but I was determined to change that before we went home.

Once inside, we headed straight for Tomorrowland as Rea wanted to ride Space Mountain. As Daniel was too short (and didn’t want to go on it anyway), we asked about child swap and were given a voucher for me and up to 3 others to enter throught he fast pass line later on. Rea and Sian went off to join the standby line and Daniel and I headed for Buzz.

Buzz was a walk on and Daniel absolutely thrashed me (I let him ). We bought the ride photo and went back to meet the girls. Sian then took Daniel on Buzz again while Rea and I went on Space Mountain. I can never make up my mind whether I like this ride or not – I think I have to be in the mood for it.

After that, it was off to Mickey’s Toontown Fair to see if we could find Mickey and Minnie. The kids rode Goofy’s Barnstormer and then we went in search of characters – first up was Donald, Pluto and Goofy. There was quite a wait (over 30 minutes) but Daniel was pretty patient and it was worth it in the end as the characters made a real fuss of the kids and I got some great photos.

We spent some time in the shop and ended up buying loads of stuff so I could get the 4-park limited edition lithographs for $10 – I told myself I was saving money in the long run They are lovely and will look great on the wall in my Disney room when the house is finally finished.

After that, we went through Mickey’s House (Minnie’s was closed for redecoration) and off to see the big cheese himself. After a 10-minute wait, we had an audience with Mickey and Minnie. Daniel gave them both a big hug but, unfortunately, chose this moment to decide he’d rather not pose for a picture. This was the best I could do!

After that, we decided to ride the train through to Frontierland.

This was a first for us all, as we’ve never done it. Daniel loved the train and wanted to stay on but then he spied Woody and Jessie and decided he wanted to go meet them. We got some great pictures and Daniel promised Woody he’d see him at Cowboy Camp later.

We were all getting a bit peckish now so it was off to Columbia Harbour House for lunch – a tuna sandwich for Sian, chicken nuggets and fries for me and Daniel and macaroni cheese for Rea.

Back into Frontierland, we caught the end of Woody’s Cowboy Camp and did the hokey cokey. Great fun.

Daniel really wanted to go on Peter Pan’s Flight and Snow White’s Scary Adventures but both of them were over 50 minute waits and we didn’t want to waste time waiting in line. We got fast passes for Winnie the Pooh’s Hunny Pot ride and went off to the castle where I took some pictures of the kids.

Afterthat, it was off up Main Street to look in the shops and get an ice-cream – an Itzakadoozie for Daniel and Mickey ice-cream sandwich for Rea. Sian and I both bought chocolate covered marshmallows as neither of us fancied ice-cream. We also managed to meet Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket.

After that, we decided to find a spot on main street to watch the parade – another first as I’ve only ever seen the Halloween parade at Magic Kingdom. The parade was great and was preceded by some school marching bands, who were fantastic. Daniel got really excited, especially when he saw Cruella De Ville and started shouting ‘You’re bad!’ at her. She shouted back and pointed at him, which just made him shout even louder. He got really into it – it was great.

When the parade was over, Daniel said he wanted to go on the monorail so we left the park and headed for the resort monorail to Contemporary. On the way down Main Street, we spotted someone who I'm sure must have been a DISer

Continued in the next post (too many images).
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Continued from above...

We asked to sit up front but there was already another family waiting. After the short trip to the Contemporary, we headed outside to catch the resort boat back to Wilderness Lodge. We were the only ones on the boat so the driver let Daniel steer the boat. He was so excited but took his job very seriously. The driver gave him a Co-Captain badge and a collector’s card, which was really sweet of him.

Back at Wilderness Lodge, we watched TV for a while. We were expecting the others back around 5:30 but, when they hadn’t turned up by 6, we decided to go down to Roaring Fork for tea. When we got back to the room, they’d arrived back having thoroughly enjoyed their visit to KSC. I’m afraid I can’t add anything about it to the trippy as I wasn’t there. All Gary said about it was that he found it fascinating and it was huge!!! Anyway, we quickly got changed ready to head out to Magic Kingdom again – tonight was Spectromagic and Wishes night!

We caught the boat over and Daniel was disappointed that he couldn’t drive this time but was quite happy to tell anyone who would listen about his earlier experience of driving a boat. I had promised him he could have a stroller this evening as we’d done a lot of walking and standing around today and I knew it would be a late night. He was quite happy to relax while I pushed him around. I couldn’t believe the price though - $15 for a single stroller – daylight robbery!

We went over to Pecos Bills so Gary, Chuck and Reeny could get some food. The kids and I waited outside and then went off to find a spot to find Spectro. The others joined us soon after and, with almost an hour to go, I decided I would run up to Fantasyland with Daniel to see if we could get on Peter Pan or Snow White. The wait for Peter Pan’s Flight was still almost an hour but Snow White was a walk-on so on we went. Daniel decided to be polite and stopped to let a couple go in front of us whose kids had pushed past. We couldn’t believe it when we came off the ride to see they’d been stopped by the Dream Team – that could have been us. We were informed later on that, when it’s a single family, it’s usually a big prize as well. And we were so near to that Castle suite stay too!

Back with the others, we told jokes and chatted until Spectro started. This was turning into a day of firsts. Another parade that we hadn’t seen before. Spectro was great , although I didn’t get any good pictures – my camera just doesn’t like night-time shots at all.

Daniel was absolutely loving it and was beside himself when Mary Poppins walked straight up to him. He shouted ‘Supercalafragalisticexpialidocius’ at her, to which she replied ‘You’re a bit precocious aren’t you?’ She asked if he could say it backwards and, when he said no, she said it then told him not to get ahead of himself. Classic! We enjoyed the rest of the parade and Daniel was singled out yet again, when Snow White kissed his hand. She left a lipstick mark, though, so he rubbed it off.

After the parade, we joined the throng of people heading to the hub for Wishes. We found a spot in front of the castle and waited for it to start. Daniel started drifting off to sleep but woke up when it started. Luckily, my camera has a fireworks setting which meant I was able to get some nice pictures.

Wishes was fantastic, as usual, and the in-laws were very impressed. Once it was all over, we set off down main street and caught the boat back to Wilderness Lodge. We were back in the room by 11:15 and in bed and asleep shortly after. No let-up tomorrow – we’re off to Sea World.

Last edited by wilma-bride; 05-08-2008 at 09:52 AM.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Another fantastic day Joh - looks like you and the children really enjoyed your day at the MK.

Great pictures of the fireworks too.
Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

A great day at MK Joh It sounds like you all had a fab time

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Tora Millypoops
Cleaning my Ears

What a wonderful day. Great pictures of the fireworks. I can't wait to read more.

Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction.

1998-May-Sequoia Lodge-DLP; 1999-May-Newport Bay-DLP; 2001-March-Disney's Allstars Movies Resort-WDW; 2003-March-Holiday Inn-I Drive; 2006-April-Port Orleans French Quarter-WDW; 2007-October-Saratoga Springs Resort-WDW; 2008-October-Saratoga Springs/Boardwalk Villas&Vero Beach-WDW; 2009-Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom Villas

Tora Millypoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Daniel always has such a lovely grin on his face in your photos. Am really enjoying your reports Joh.
Jets fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

I had problems with my photos of Spectro as well, most of them were blurred.

I've got a KSC day coming up in my report so I'll cover that one for you.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Brilliant photos Joh, Daniel looks thrilled to be captain of the boat !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Another lovely day.

Great photo's....I like the one of Daniels cheeky grin on the train.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Excellent day Joh .Daniel looks like such a little cheeky monkey-he has that grin in nearly every picture .Shame about missing out on a Dream Prize.Strollers are a complete rip off now.Were going to purchase the $45 stroller once you get inside the parks+when were finished with it on the last day-pass it on to someone-this will be my good deed for the day .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

what a fab day. i love the photo's of woody and Jessie - and the ones with pinochio and Jiminy cricket, I have never seen those pair about before.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Great pictures of the kids
Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

great day, looks like you did well with the character meeting.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Booknut
I couldn't figure out why people would choose to put that down

What a great day! I love the photos of Daniel on the train to Frontierland and pointing at the Castle, he's soooooooo cute!

Looking forward to the next installment!

2005 WDW Offsite, 2006 WDW AKL/POFQ, 2008 DLP Santa Fe, 2009 DLP Hotel New York, 2012 DLP Hotel L'Elysee

Booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #15
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Lovely pic's Joh
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: