Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Lorikr65
Lorikr65

Best way to pay for a new roof

We will be needing a new roof soon. I don't want to take any money out of my savings so I was wondering what was the best way to pay for it. I know there are home equity loans and things like that. The roof will cost about $5,000. Of course I would like to get the lowest interest rate. Does anyone know what the options are out there? We've been in the house for 13 years and have quite a bit of equity (we owe less then half of what it is worth).

Thanks - Lori
2002 - All Star Movies
2003 - All Star Music
2004 - Pop Century
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Sports
2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort

I've been blessed!!
Lorikr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We paid for our roof with our savings. We did have an equity line of credit, but didn't want to pay interest. We paid back our savings over time.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, lets see.....you could sell all your gold. Seriously, an equity loan/lines of credit will probably have the best rates. Places like credit unions offer no fee, no closing cost equity loans/lines.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
TylerAggie
Mouseketeer

Have you had any hail storms in the time since you have lived in your house? We had a hail storm recently and everyone in our neighborhood got insurance money to pay for a new roof. We paid nothing out of pocket and since we had made no previous claims, it did not affect our insurance at all.
TylerAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerAggie View Post
Have you had any hail storms in the time since you have lived in your house? We had a hail storm recently and everyone in our neighborhood got insurance money to pay for a new roof. We paid nothing out of pocket and since we had made no previous claims, it did not affect our insurance at all.
That is what I was thinking...we had golf ball sized hail last June and we got a new roof, new siding, new gutters, new playhouse, new landscaping lights and a newly finished deck (oh and my car got $3500 in damage)...and for all of our house and personal item damage (excluding the car) was about $30k in damage and it cost me my $1000 deductible. I was kinda disappointed because our house was only 10 years old so it wasn't in need of a new roof and siding, but I certainly will take it.

Schachteles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

OT-- that's a great price for a roof.

We paid for our roof with savings.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

Take the money out of your savings, as long as it is a liquid account and not an ira.

If you finance it (and it's not easy to get a home equity loan right now), you will pay interest on it, which will far offset the interest rate you're getting with your savings.

So basically, say you make 5% in your savings account, and you get a loan at 8%.

You're LOSING 3% of your own hard earned money just to use somebody else's money when YOU HAVE YOUR OWN!
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I would think that an equity loan would cost more in interest than taking it out of your savings. Isn't that what savings is for...emergency fund? Now if it's in a CD or higher interest account you have to way the options. We put our car fund in a money market that makes 6% until July. Car needed replaced, so we got a loan at the credit union for 3.70% that allows you to pay off w/o penalty, so we will pay it off in July when MM interest rates drop down.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
rockyroad
DIS Veteran

We will also be needing a new roof.

I have been praying for hail.

In a recent tornado in our neighborhood our house was undamaged...which was a blessing...

But my son's friend's parent's house had all the shingles blown off, the windows blown in and the floors ruined.

I also need new windows and floors....

But until the current roof starts leaking, I'm holding off and waiting.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
srwarden1928
DIS Veteran

If you have enough money in savings, use it. Thats what savings is for. You would pay far more interest on a loan than you collect on the savings.

Feb 1972, Feb 1974, Feb 1976, Feb 1978, Mar 1985 (EP only), Mar 1990 (EP only), Mar 2008, Oct 2008 (MNSSHP only)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2jxzqyyfdfk89.png[/img]
srwarden1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
LorieR
DIS Veteran

We just had a new roof put on the house and garage a few weeks ago. I charged it on my Disney Visa and will pay it off out of savings when I get the bill. That gives us more than 60 extra Disney Reward Dollars for our trip in December!!

Fort Wilderness - March '82
Disneyland - June '04
POR - Dec '01, Dec '02, Nov '04, Nov '05, Dec '06, Nov '07, Dec '08, Dec '11, April '12, April '13, June '13, Dec '13
UPCOMING TRIPS:
November '14
April '15 - 40th Wedding Anniversary Trip
LorieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
ekmom
Mouseketeer

We just put on a new roof and paid about $5000 too. We considered a loan but decided that it wasn't worth it and ended up paying it out of savings. I wish that I could have charged it and gotten some reward dollars but the company doesn't take credit cards.
ekmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
battricia
From the home of the Peeps and the Crayon
Willing to wait for Papa John's
Hooked on DOOL

I agree w/ taking it out of savings. If you have it in a regular savings account you can just 'make payments' back to the account. That way you don't have a 2nd mortgage on the house and you aren't paying interest. also if you do have an emergency in the future you will still have that equity in your house if you haven't yet rebuilt your savings. JMO. If you do take out an HEL though, I would NOT take out an LOC, and at least you *should* be able to write it off your taxes.

tricia.
battricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Be sure to protect your landscaping when they remove the old shingles. My poor Japanese Maples took lots of hits. A little too much pruning. Our guys covered them up, but that only lasted for a few minutes, then they were open to all those dreadful shingles flinging their way....oh the humanity......

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
LoriNSC
DIS Veteran

We're getting a new roof next week. Our insurance is paying about 2,300.00 & we're paying 1,300.00 out of pocket. We called ins. co. & they sent an adjuster. They're paying some on it due to wind/hail damage. We're using our stimulus tax refund for that & still have a little left over for vacation.
LoriNSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: