Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodrummergirl View Post
Hmmm, that's actually quite worrying. Just out of interest, are the borders for BMI the same in every country?
Yes they are....your BMI is calculated by your height & weight measurements.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - EBTA, Sept 2014 - WBTA
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #17
majortom1981
Mouseketeer

hmm

I am posting because this was linked to on gonintendo.com.

Is it possible that your daughter put her weight in as a different unit of measurement? Gamefaqs.com states that its by default setup for pounds and inches. Also did the balance board read her weight correctly? Maybe the balanceboard was not level or calibrated right?

I would make sure all those are correct first and have her try again. I computed her bmi and she is in the normal range so I am thinking either the board is not calibrated right or there might be a unit error some where.

Be prepared also for more posts to this topoic as its posted on more forums.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
put4558350
Earning My Ears

If your data correct.

look at the graph here (I can't post link please copy and press)

apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/ResultGraph.aspx?age=120&gender=2&ht=57&wt=92&method=0&dob=January%2001,%201998&dom=January%2001,%202008&inchtext=0&wttext=0&pagetype=graph

green is Normal
yellow is Overweight
blue dot is she

I think that she need a little exercise to keep her BMI in "green" zone.

Game was correct. And I don't think computer will miss BMI formula weight(kg)/height^2(m^2) or error on compare BMI to table

it's just used another table and too sharp conclusion
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #19
StupIdiot
Earning My Ears

Games cant alkways be right.Dont sue them over a miscalculation :P
Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
StupIdiot
Earning My Ears

Games cant alkways be right.Dont sue them over a miscalculation :P
Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #21
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

Hope Nintendo contact you back.

What is the Wii fit exactly?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #22
airbe.it
Earning My Ears

BMI is used differently for children. It is calculated the same way as for adults, but then compared to typical values for other children of the same age. Instead of set thresholds for underweight and overweight, then, the BMI percentile allows comparison with children of the same sex and age.

So don't compare your BMI with your child's!
Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlemermaid83 View Post

The biggest rage of 2008 (coming in 2 weeks in the U.S., already out in Europe/Japan)

All about Wii Fit
youtube.com/watch?v=bs-MS2fPZjs
Old 05-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #23
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
It is the latest piece of kit to go along with your Nintendo Wii

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #24
DebIreland
ಠvಠ

I agree with you Emma.

I'm not comfortable with the Wii Fit telling *any* child his/her weight actually. I think it should focus on positive reinforcement and exercise regimes for the Under 15s and forget the whole weight/bmi area.

According to my Wii Fit I gained 3 pounds in the last week even though Weight Watchers says I lost 2 pound in the exact same time.

I really love Wii Fit but as I say, I'm certainly not keen on it 'telling' kids that they're overweight/obese. Even when a child is overweight, there are ways and means of dealing with obesity in kids and the best way to do that is to encourage exercise without labelling them as 'fat'.

Grieving Angry Widow
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #25
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Oh dear, i have a Wii fit waiting for me when i get home from Uni, i daren't do on it now!!!

Maybe i should get out the fitness DVD's before playing on the Wii to loose the extra weight, the last thing i want is a computer telling me im fat! Its like my DS telling me im stupid! Stupid Dr Kanashima!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
Sansaarai
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Hobbes View Post
My DSD came round this weekend and we let her play on our wii-fit. We have all laughed and joked about being told that we're fat and need to lose weight but I was gobsmacked when it told her that she is overweight. She is a healthy 10 year old girl with an active lifestyle, she swims and dances every week. She is 92lbs and 4ft9" tall and there is not an inch of fat on her. She is solidly built but not fat. She was devasted to be called fat and we had to work hard to convince her that she isn't. I know it is just a game but seriously we already have to worry about young girls starving themselves to look like the magazine models and now we have a game that tells them their fat. This to me is very worrying and I hope that is doesn't cause emotional problems for any youngsters out there

Over react much?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #27
hohoho
Earning My Ears

Quote:

It's another gimmick from the Ninterrorists. It attracts complete morons into buying something that is completely unnecessary (Like the Wii itself!)

Wii = GameCube + Motion Controls + HUGE PRICE MARKUP. Get a PS2. $99. Or if you want real next-gen gaming get a PS3 or 360. Nintendo needs to stop ripping people off by overcharging for last-gen technology for both their Wii and DS ... not to mention the ungodly amount of garbage games that plague both systems.

WII-FIT WILL NOT MAKE YOU FIT. It's A COMPLETE GIMMICK. Even the man who created it says so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeru Miyamoto
I don't think Wii Fit's purpose is to make you fit; what it's actually aiming to do is make you aware of your body.
Wii Fit Doesn't Actually Make You Fit, Definitely Makes Miyamoto's Wallet Fat

See that? DEFINITION of BS + Gimmick + Ripoff.

That guy who posted the video, posted the wrong one:

THIS IS THE CORRECT VIDEO:

And LOL @ The guy who said it's "The biggest rage" - Biggest rage with little kids and soccer moms, sure.

For us REAL GAMERS, the "biggest rage" is MGS4, GoW2, GTA4, Resistance 2, etc ;-)

Last edited by hohoho; 05-06-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
jewelshouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansaarai View Post
Over react much?
Ouch!!!! My mom always said if you can't say anything nice . . .
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #29
put4558350
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbe.it View Post
BMI is used differently for children. It is calculated the same way as for adults, but then compared to typical values for other children of the same age. Instead of set thresholds for underweight and overweight, then, the BMI percentile allows comparison with children of the same sex and age.

So don't compare your BMI with your child's!
Yes it's used different table
And table I used is "For Girl" table

Please look at the link it before post
v
apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/ResultGraph.aspx?age=120&gender=2&ht=57&wt=92&method=0&dob=January%2001,%201998&dom=January%2001,%202008&inchtext=0&wttext=0&pagetype=graph

Wiifit is like input number to calculator (it's have all data age, sex, weight, height) and if input correct it's have no room for error
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #30
jewelshouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Hobbes View Post
My DSD came round this weekend and we let her play on our wii-fit. We have all laughed and joked about being told that we're fat and need to lose weight but I was gobsmacked when it told her that she is overweight. She is a healthy 10 year old girl with an active lifestyle, she swims and dances every week. She is 92lbs and 4ft9" tall and there is not an inch of fat on her. She is solidly built but not fat. She was devasted to be called fat and we had to work hard to convince her that she isn't. I know it is just a game but seriously we already have to worry about young girls starving themselves to look like the magazine models and now we have a game that tells them their fat. This to me is very worrying and I hope that is doesn't cause emotional problems for any youngsters out there

I know what you mean, I have a 9 year old and it's a shame they are already concerned with body image at this age. It's sad especially when they are at an age where their body image and self-esteem is fragile.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: