Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

We're back! 6 days of rain and extended family 8/17-8/23! updated 9/29, day three!!

Howdy folks! I'm back with another pre-trippie!! I always thought pre-trip reports were great ways to pass the remaining few weeks before someone's vacation!!!

For some history on me and my family check out this link to last year's report.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1441538

Anyway...I'm Tara!! DH (Ray) and I got married last April and had our first baby, Ty, in March. I must add that he was conceived in Disney last year...something I failed to mention in that TR! I currently work as a nanny so I can take DS to work with me (summers off!!) and DH sells life insurance. He just finished 11 years as a Navy recruiter last year.

Liberty Tree Tavern

Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show

We bought into DVC last summer with leftover wedding gift money and it's been the best thing for our family!! We are going 8/17-8/23 this year and then again for Christmas, 12/17-12/26. But this upcoming trip is a first for us b/c we are bringing my dad, his fiance, her son (20 yo) and a late trip-joiner, my sister (25 yo).

Me, my dad and my sis

It wasn't until a few months ago that my sister was added to the trip. She is a recovering alcoholic with about 120 days sober! I told her back in April that if she stayed on track through August DH and I would pay for half her trip. So far so good. She booked her flights last month and is saving up for spending money. DH and I will take care of her ticket and food. She'll also be staying in our room. Honestly though, sales have been tough lately for DH so I am regretting my offer but a promise is a promise and I will make it work.

We are going to be staying in two studios at SSR...hopefully they will be close together but of course, no guarantees

Last year was our first trip "home" to SSR and we loved it!!! I wasn't sure how I would feel about being so close to Downtown Disney but I actually preferred it. I enjoyed sitting out on our balcony and hearing the music from DD. Very relaxing.
You can see Planet Hollywood being refurbished in the background..to the right.

Because my sister didn't join on until recently she wasn't able to get the flights we booked in Oct. We are arriving in Orlando around 10am on the 17th but she won't get in until after 11pm!! It was the best I could do on her budget of $100 per flight. She doesn't mind though. We are eating at CMC the first night and she hates steamed clams so I guess it all works out. She is nervous about Magical Express by herself but I think she will be fine!!

That's about all I have time for now...Ty is waking from his morning nap! I will be back soon..thanks for starting another journey with me!

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
I miss you Chris 6/23/75-10/14/12

Last edited by Eventer98; 08-26-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Yahoooo I am first Tara!!! Thanks for the headsup!!!
This is going to be a great trip....I especially love that your sister is working towards a goal....I give her a lot of credit!!! Ty is just adorable.... Are you taking him on both trips???
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twob4him View Post
Yahoooo I am first Tara!!! Thanks for the headsup!!!
This is going to be a great trip....I especially love that your sister is working towards a goal....I give her a lot of credit!!! Ty is just adorable.... Are you taking him on both trips???
Hi Cathy!!! Glad you stopped by! Yes, Ty is going on both trips with us. We are planning afternoon naps in the room for the December trip but are going to wing this one and hope he sleeps in the stroller. Since it's a short trip I hate to lose any time. He will only be 5 months so fingers crossed!! How old was your youngest when you went the first time?

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Ok..so on to the trip planning! I think it was last August I had asked my friend and her family if they wanted to rent points from us and go with us this year. Originally she had said yes but when I mapped out a budget for her she said there was no way they could afford it. I never thought to ask my dad b/c I know they are also strapped for cash. But I ran it by him and his fiance and they were in!! Especially since they could rent SSR vacation club points from us it made it even more affordable. Christine (dad's fiance) wanted to bring her son too, who lives with them. I told them as long as they don't mind sharing a room I thought it was a great idea! So Stefan was in too. It will be my dad and sister's first trip since 1985 and Christine and Stefan went when they had the horrible cake castle in the 90's I think. They'll be amazed at the changes!

We were able to get everyone on the same flights. My dad lives about 2 miles away so we plan to carpool to the airport and leave our car there. Our flight leaves at 6:10am so I hope to be there by 4:30!!! Pretty early but I think it's worth it to be able to spend most of the day in Disney. We usually take the non-stops down there but with Ty being only 5 months by then I thought it might be better to break it up. It's only a 45m. layover but enough to change the scenary up for him. We'll get into Orlando at 10:10am!

I do have some concerns, like I mentioned before, about lazypants dad and Stefan. Apparently Stefan sleeps until 1 or 2 PM each day. My dad just lost his job at the airport and has been spending the day sleeping as well. So Christine and I are a bit leary of how they will do in Disney. We have prepped them about what time we will want to be to the parks and they don't seemed phased. I am interested to see how long that lasts!! DH and I get to the gates about 30m before opening and that seems to work great!! Christine said she will just leave them behind rather then wait for them...I think that's a great idea!!

Here is our itinerary for the trip.....the only ADR I'm not happy with is the late Ohanas. I watching Wishes from Ohanas..in fact it's a tradition for us. But the late time might be too much for Ty...but we'll see what happens. I call periodically to get an earlier time but no go. I'm glad the rest of the clan will be able to experience Wishes from a window table!!

Sunday, 8/17
Travel, 6:15am
Arrive SSR around 12pm
Lunch-Artist's Palette
Pool/Nap
Dinner-CMC 7:25pm
Ashley arrives @ 11:45pm??

Monday, 8/18
MK
Lunch-Cosmic Ray's
Dinner-LTT 7:35pm
Spectromagic 9pm
Wishes @ 10pm

Tuesday, 8/19
DHS
Lunch-Pizza Planet
Dinner-Sci-Fi 4:55pm
Fantasmic! 9pm

Wednesday, 8/20
OPEN DAY!!
Breakfast-1900 9:45am
Lunch-??
Pool/Nap
Dinner-Ohanas 9:05pm
Wishes 10pm

Thursday, 8/21
AK
Lunch-Flame Tree
Dinner-RFC 5:30pm

Friday, 8/22
EPCOT 9am-9pm
Lunch-Electric Umbrella
TS-Biergarten 5:45pm
Illuminations @ 9pm

Saturday, 8/23
Lunch-WCC 12pm
go home

More updates to come!!

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

i'm here! i'm here! so glad you're doing a pre-TR! i know you've been itching to go back. and i know you guys will have a blast!

if i were you, i'd explain to your dad and stefan how disney transportation works and then just let them sleep in and do your own thing. that's what cell phones are for! seriously - it will be much less stressful if everyone can do what they want to do without having to wait for someone else or get up before they want to. that's our plan for december with anna, luke and chris. i know that they move at a much slower pace than us so we're just planning on doing meals together and seeing the main shows together. other than that, we'll be doing what we want to do!

oh, and one more thing. i don't know if you guys have been to sci-fi for dinner before. if not, you'll notice that they don't have burgers on the dinner menu. if anyone wants a burger, just ask and they can do it. last year we ate there for dinner and i was in a burger kinda mood and it was no problem - you just have to ask!

ty's such a cutie, by the way!!!! i can't wait to see pictures of him in disney world!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Good idea about letting them come to the parks when they're ready...I myself can't imagine sleeping a Disney vacation away but of course that's their choice!!! Hopefully my dad could figure out the buses..his memory isn't what it used to be!

Thanks for the tip on the burgers...I know DH might be craving one. Ty might have to sit on my lap though (something I normally wouldn't do) b/c if not the cars aren't big enough for 7.

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventer98 View Post
Good idea about letting them come to the parks when they're ready...I myself can't imagine sleeping a Disney vacation away but of course that's their choice!!! Hopefully my dad could figure out the buses..his memory isn't what it used to be!

Thanks for the tip on the burgers...I know DH might be craving one. Ty might have to sit on my lap though (something I normally wouldn't do) b/c if not the cars aren't big enough for 7.
they had tables that i saw, too, when we went last year. mostly the cars though. a car will seat 6 adults, just FYI.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

They count Ty in every ADR so with him we would be at 7. She said we would probably be split up into two cars. We'll see.

Looks like I might just have 2 readers! That would be pretty sad!!!

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

Quote:
Looks like I might just have 2 readers! That would be pretty sad!!!
it's early....you'll get more!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

I'm reading! I loved your first TR...and looking forward to this one, especially with the new addition. Ty is just adorable!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
VandyFan10
GoDoReS!!!!

TARA!!!

Yea....I get to read about your trip

Like the ADR's you have chosen and I will have to go back and read through better I had to do the 'skim' job here at work

Baby Ty is PRECIOUS!!!!!
May, Oct 2011 - Off Property
May, Sept, Dec 2012 - Off Property
Jan 2013 - Polynesian!
March, Sept, Dec 2013 - Off Property
Jan 2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas
**I really think I'm missing one or two

The Vandy Girls are BACK!!
MY FIRST TR!!!!! Our Christmas Trip in PICTURES!!!! ~~Oh...and I'm obsessed with the Castle~~
Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Cathy!!! Glad you stopped by! Yes, Ty is going on both trips with us. We are planning afternoon naps in the room for the December trip but are going to wing this one and hope he sleeps in the stroller. Since it's a short trip I hate to lose any time. He will only be 5 months so fingers crossed!! How old was your youngest when you went the first time?
Ohhh.... you updated again! Yeah....love the itinerary! Sounds great! One time I went with my mom to Disney and my son was 5 and my daughter was 8 months. I did no research and just wondered around most of the parks....can you believe it? No plans or ADR But it worked out. When I went two years ago on a short trip, the girls did nap in the stroller or on me on a ride. I think we still headed home for a break. We definately did that last year. I noticed my kids (and everyone elses) run out of steam shortly after lunch. However, since Ty is soooo young, you'll be fine with the stroller napping I should think!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #13
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
I'm reading! I loved your first TR...and looking forward to this one, especially with the new addition. Ty is just adorable!
hey Shannon! Glad you came over

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyFan10 View Post
TARA!!!

Yea....I get to read about your trip

Like the ADR's you have chosen and I will have to go back and read through better I had to do the 'skim' job here at work

Baby Ty is PRECIOUS!!!!!
There are two new TS's in there for us this trip..Biergarten and Sci-fi. Dawn already said Sci-fi was great (and to ask for burgers!) but has anyone been to Biergarten?? We are heading there b/c my dad is German and I think he will enjoy the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twob4him View Post
Ohhh.... you updated again! Yeah....love the itinerary! Sounds great! One time I went with my mom to Disney and my son was 5 and my daughter was 8 months. I did no research and just wondered around most of the parks....can you believe it? No plans or ADR But it worked out. When I went two years ago on a short trip, the girls did nap in the stroller or on me on a ride. I think we still headed home for a break. We definately did that last year. I noticed my kids (and everyone elses) run out of steam shortly after lunch. However, since Ty is soooo young, you'll be fine with the stroller napping I should think!
As of today, Ty does not like sleeping in the stroller. I am hoping that will change in 2 months. He will sleep in a carrier though, although not well. Right now he is on a 2 hour AM nap and a 2-3 hour PM nap. Worse comes to worse, I will take him to a Baby Care Center for a nap. Perhaps bring a book for me! Then everyone else can go on their merry way. But definitely, definitely we are heading back to the hotel in December for 3 hours each day!! That's a longer trip anyway so I won't feel rushed. It's also more for the Xmas decorations then the rides.

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
hey Shannon! Glad you came over

There are two new TS's in there for us this trip..Biergarten and Sci-fi. Dawn already said Sci-fi was great (and to ask for burgers!) but has anyone been to Biergarten?? We are heading there b/c my dad is German and I think he will enjoy the food.
I've eaten in Germany once. The atmosphere is fun with the german band playing every 20 minutes or so. Our meal was semi-spoiled because my nephew was being annoying and my niece was not feeling well, laying in my lap and asking to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes - not the restaurants fault though. I remember leaving full though and the food was pretty good. It wouldn't be a place that I would definitely have to eat at every time we go, but I wouldn't be against eating there. The food - definitely heavy on the sausages and potatoes, but there were other things, chicken fingers, mac-n-cheese, salad, bread. My friend is German and she loves it!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonders10 View Post
I've eaten in Germany once. The atmosphere is fun with the german band playing every 20 minutes or so. Our meal was semi-spoiled because my nephew was being annoying and my niece was not feeling well, laying in my lap and asking to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes - not the restaurants fault though. I remember leaving full though and the food was pretty good. It wouldn't be a place that I would definitely have to eat at every time we go, but I wouldn't be against eating there. The food - definitely heavy on the sausages and potatoes, but there were other things, chicken fingers, mac-n-cheese, salad, bread. My friend is German and she loves it!
Good to hear!! My dad mentioned the Mexican TS too but I know my stomach wouldn't like me if I ate there so we went with his first choice. Definitely worth a try!! Thanks for the review

I'll be updating tonight with a little drama about my dad's fiance (how do I abbreviate her??) and her son, Stefan. Stay tuned!!

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: