Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
milw217
Earning My Ears

Another Question About Moderates

I am planning on going to WDW in mid-August with my girlfriend. We are planning at staying at a moderate resort, but unsure of which one. I've read alot of the threads and it seems as though POR seems to be a favorite of alot of people. We are leaning towards POR and POFQ, but just thought maybe for a couple that one of the others would be a little better. I'm a little leary of staying at CBR because of the construction to the main pool. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!
milw217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
TXTink
DIS Veteran

I think you will be very happy with POFQ, it can be a very romantic place!

They have pretty gardens and there is a lounge there for evening adult beverages called Scat Cat's Lounge. Also, there is a boat ride to Downtown Disney that we liked as well.

You will have a great time!

1995-All Star Music; 1996-Port Orleans; 1998-All Star Music; 2000-Port Orleans; 2001-All Star Music (x2), Caribbean Beach; 2002-Beach Club; 2003-Disneyland, Candy Cane Inn; 2004-Boardwalk Villa's; 2006-Beach Club, All Star Music, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Saratoga Springs, Grand Floridian (Oldest DD was in the College Program in 2006!); 2007-Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland-Grand Californian; 2008-Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Boardwalk Villas, All Star Movies, Old Key West, 2009-Saratoga Springs, Old Key West; 2010- Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, Saratoga Springs Grand Villa; 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2012-Saratoga Springs, Old Key West; 2013- Art of Animation, Saratoga Springs; 2014- Old Key West, Saratoga Springs
TXTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at PO-Riverside (both sides) and I liked it. But, my DH and I just stayed at Coronado Springs this past September and LOVED it! The grounds were beautiful, the food court was very good and we just enjoyed our stay a lot. We do not visit the pools, but the main pool was very quiet and deserted most of the time. And then they have quiet pools at each of the sections, too. Our room was right over the Casitas pool, which was very nice.

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!

1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
2BusyPlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
TXTink
DIS Veteran

I just saw your post count and join date!

Welcome to the DIS!!!!!

1995-All Star Music; 1996-Port Orleans; 1998-All Star Music; 2000-Port Orleans; 2001-All Star Music (x2), Caribbean Beach; 2002-Beach Club; 2003-Disneyland, Candy Cane Inn; 2004-Boardwalk Villa's; 2006-Beach Club, All Star Music, Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Saratoga Springs, Grand Floridian (Oldest DD was in the College Program in 2006!); 2007-Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland-Grand Californian; 2008-Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Boardwalk Villas, All Star Movies, Old Key West, 2009-Saratoga Springs, Old Key West; 2010- Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, Saratoga Springs Grand Villa; 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2012-Saratoga Springs, Old Key West; 2013- Art of Animation, Saratoga Springs; 2014- Old Key West, Saratoga Springs
TXTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
milw217
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the welcome, this is a great site, although we almost had our minds made up until I started reading about the other resorts LOL. Something I didn't mention also is that we will definitely be looking for some entertainment at night. We are in our mid 20's if that helps anyone with suggestions. Thanks again!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
darrengs
DIS Veteran

Honestly you can't go wrong no matter where you stay. With that being said I would lean away from CBR only because of the pool rehab, unless you do not plan on swimming.

Also may I suggest that if possible you may want to push your dates out to take advantage of the Free Dining.
darrengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
kinggoofy
DIS Veteran

I would vote for POR. It will always be a place that we know if there were no rooms available at the POLY, we would NEVER have a problem staying there.

We are actually booked for Nov 28 - Dec 7 at POR. The older we have gotten and quite honestly, we can now afford the POLY, it has become our favorite resort.

However, we always try and get to the River Roost once a trip and go see Piano Man Bob Jackson. He is a blast. Alot of fun.

If you stay at POR or POFQ, dont forget, DTD West Side is a boat ride away for you if you are looking for night time entertainment.

DW is 37 and I am 43. So we are past the DTD West Side stage of our lives. You may enjoy it.

KG
CBR-Sept. 93 ( Honeymoon); ASMu-Aug. 97; CSR - Aug.98; PO-Aug. 99; DXL-Aug. 00; POR- Aug. 01; POR- Aug. 02; POR-Thanksgiving 02; POR-Aug 03 (Celebrated 10th wedding anniversary this trip); POR-Aug. 04; POR-Thanksgiving 04; POR-August 05; POR-Thanksgiving 05; POR-June 06; POR-Thanksgving 06: CBR-ESPN The Weekend Mar 07; POP-Memorial Day Weekend 07; Poly-Aug 07; BW-Thanksgiving 07; Poly-April 08 DW Birthday Present ; Poly Aug 08 (15th Wedding Anniversary); POR - Thanksgiving 08; Aug 09 YC; POR- Thanksgiving 09; Aug 10- Yacht Club to celebrate our 25th Visit to Walt Disney World; POR- Thanksgiving 10 ; POR August 2011; Poly Aug 2012 OKW in Nov 2012 OKW 2013; POR & SSR Thanksgiving 2013; SSR 4/14 (DW bday gift ) and BWV in August 2014

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS..2010 & 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
CHICAGO CUBS..1908 WORLD CHAMPIONS
kinggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

CBR is a beautiful resort. They are building a new pool complex. You don't hear any noise and the food courtyard and bar are still open.

You can see the construction photos in the first post of the CBR FAQ thread. Link is listed below.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
KatMark
DIS Veteran

The CSR has a new lounge, the Rix. If you look up ********'s Coronoado Website Fact Sheet, it has all kinds of information on it. I believe there is live music on certain days.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
IWANNAGOBACK!
Mouseketeer

My vote too would be Coronado, it's my favorite and if my husband and I got to go on "our own" we would definitely stay there.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Lilolvr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw217 View Post
We are leaning towards POR and POFQ, but just thought maybe for a couple that one of the others would be a little better. I'm a little leary of staying at CBR because of the construction to the main pool. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!
For a couple, CSR has live entertainment at the new Rix Lounge. It also has a spa, fitness center and salon. It's a very romantic resort. Check out ********'s CSR website. **************************************

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1810918
Lilolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
milw217
Earning My Ears

My sister stayed at POFQ and said that she was able to rent some kind of boat and drive it to the DTD area. Does anyone have more info on this like the price or what kind of boats there are? Also, is the only transportation to an from the theme parks via the buses? I've seen some other resorts are within walking distance of Epcot and some have a boat that goes to MK. This will be my 6th trip to WDW, but only the 2nd time I've stayed on property. Last time was at AS Music and I enjoyed it, but we're just looking to move up the scale as far as hotels. Sorry for the loaded question here.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

The only place within walking distance to POFQ is POR, you'll need to take a Disney bus (or your own car) for any of the theme parks.

You can indeed hire boats which you pilot all the way down to the DTD area, but if you plan to stop there for a while you'd be better taking the free ferry. The details and rates for recreational boat hire at POR/POFQ are here: www.portorleans.org/?sub_rec_rentals.htm

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
teddygurl28
DIS Veteran

im also going with my boyfriend in the end of august (labor day to be exact) taking advantage of free dining...he calls it an extended long weekend...8 days is more than an extended long weekend hahaha..and we are in the same age range as yu ( im 24 hes 28) i finally picked POR ( i wanted POFQ but they didnt have the free dining package) and reuqested a mansion room. (boyfriend thinks we are staying at POP so its a cool suprise) anyways back to the moderate resorts. i think POR would be a good choice for you. the resort looks beauutiful and believe me i have seen photos and videos and slide shows...the boat to DTD is a plus...buses to every other park. you can rent the searaycers here and go around the resort and the waterway to DTD. you can also rent kayaks and bikes and you can go on a carriage ride around the resort. if you want to try and make it romantic either try FQ or request a mansion room at riverside. both riverside and french quarter have lounges so thats a plus...again there is a boat to DTD (stops at 11 so you would just take the bus back) i have stayed at CBR 2 times now and i do like it, but i think the grounds on POR look much nicer...also pools ...both POR and POFQ seem to have very nice pools...and POR has 4 quiet pools...FQ has none...CBR has a bunch but now has mini slides put in on them...which means not so quiet anymore ...never been to CSR so i cant comment....but i would totally go for POR or POFQ!!!
teddygurl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

With the kids, I did love CSR slightly more than POR, but for a couples trip, I think I would vote POR... romantic and boat to DTD. Have fun!
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote