Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Krischaser
Mouseketeer

OT--dermabond/liquid stitches

Hi my three year old cut open his chin and the doctor used dermabond or liquid stitches to help close it. Does anyone have experience with this? We leave for vacation in 7 days for the beach. Will it be healed by then? Thanks.

I've been booed too!!

[/url]
Krischaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
kim929
DIS Veteran

Hi,
my ds had this when he was 3 too. He cut right under his eye the Dr. gave me the choice of stitches or the derma bond. It's basically super glue. I don't remember them putting any restrictions on it. but I would think that in 7 days it would be pretty much on it's way to healing. Just becareful, they told me me it would fall off on it's own or wear off that once it is on it's on for good, but my ds picked it off the next morning. My pedi. couldn't believe he was able to do it. so just becareful he doesn't pick it. I wouldn't worry about it.
Good Luck
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krischaser View Post
Hi my three year old cut open his chin and the doctor used dermabond or liquid stitches to help close it. Does anyone have experience with this? We leave for vacation in 7 days for the beach. Will it be healed by then? Thanks.
Hi,
My DS (now 12 1/2) did this twice! both times Dermabond was used. It worked great there isn't really even a scar. I remember they put strips of a tape like bandage, (maybe steri strips?) on there to help keep things in place and help it heal. I don't remember how long it took but it may be a bit longer than 7 days. I'm sure you will have a good head start to healing but he may need to try and keep it dry the first few days of the trip. I hope this helps! I remember how nerve wracking that injury was. I think my son was around 5 and then 6 when it happened. The first time I was away on vacation and they hospital (in the middle of nowhere PA) did not have all the stuff on hand to do stitches! (can you imagine!!!) Lucky for me they didn't because my son was terrified of the idea of stitches and the Dermabond worked so well he had no scar. Good Luck to you, I hope he's feeling OK and it heals in time for your vacation!
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
RobinFabulous
I like french toast!!!

My oldest DD hit her chin and they used Dermabond on her. I think she could get it wet in around 3 to 5 days. Hers didn't scar or reopen
RobinFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
famofsix
For $40 Elmo should sing, laugh and make my coffee in the morning
Its a miracle I survived the 80's & landed a husband
Oh my word, I am peeing my pants

my sons did lightly scar on his forehead but he was squirmy and I think it didn't bond right. Putting neosporin on it helps the healing process.

Have fun on the trip...glad your DS is OK

God Bless America
famofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
LIBLULA
Mouseketeer

I work on a orthopedic floor, many doctors are using dermabond for knee and hip replacements.. Incisions are free from from sutures and staples. Do not put any type of ointments or creams over dermabond site---might cause opening of incision.

LIBLULA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
famofsix
For $40 Elmo should sing, laugh and make my coffee in the morning
Its a miracle I survived the 80's & landed a husband
Oh my word, I am peeing my pants

I just wanted to clarify to say that we applied the neosporin after the bond was completely "bonded" not when it was fresh to help prevent scaring. My son's bond was on his face and it was recommended by the doctor to use neosporin.

God Bless America
famofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
fireworks fan
Mouseketeer

My 2 years old DS got Dermabond on a cut over his eyes three days before we left for WDW. It lasted almost 10 days, but we made sure it stayed dry for 5 days. It did scar, even with neosporin afterwards. Have fun on your trip
fireworks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
karenos
Mouseketeer

My then 3 year old DS cut his chin open falling off a swing (the doc said the chin was the most common facial lac). He used Dermabond and it healed in about two weeks. Just make sure he doesn't touch it or pick at it! Two years later, you can barely see the scar.

Good luck
-Karen
karenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
emh1129
I admit, though, that I had Disney-tunnel-vision
Had a fish named mushroom
Most of the people here are completely clueless

Just like a pp said- make sure they don't pick at it! I had been keeping such a close eye on dd to make sure she left it alone but I took one trip to the bathroom, thinking she would be okay for one minute because she was totally engrossed in something- and she peeled it right off. Ugh. We had to go back and get real stitches (only two, but still), they refused to dermabond a second time.
So that wasn't fun

emh1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Krischaser
Mouseketeer

any others---thanks everyone

I've been booed too!!

[/url]
Krischaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
mafibisha
DIS Veteran

oooo boy, I almost hate to say this because I know how we moms worry, but people also need to be aware and alert.

In my area, major metropolitan city, it is NEVER used.

It is a sealant plain and simple, so whatever is inside, is sealed in.

If a tiny infection is in there, it is sealed in and not allowed to work its way out as it would with stiches (think how incisions 'bubble' when anticeptic is placed on it).

When it was first out several years ago, a few kids developed a systemic infection and it was traced back to dermabond.

Apparently some doctors still use it; countless doctors won't.

we Disney:

DH Me

and our fur baby

Thank You, maggiew!
mafibisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
momof5boys
Mouseketeer

ER nurse here. Don't worry 7 days is fine. Even if he has stitches they would have been removed at 5-7 days. Love dermabond, so much less stressful for kids! And as for infections facial wounds rarely get infected with glue or sutures!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
problemchild718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
ER nurse here. Don't worry 7 days is fine. Even if he has stitches they would have been removed at 5-7 days. Love dermabond, so much less stressful for kids! And as for infections facial wounds rarely get infected with glue or sutures!
I'm an ER RN at a trauma center/childrens hospital. We don't use Dermabond on the face at all due to dimpling that sometimes occurs with it. We do use it on other body structures. That being said and it being done already-he should be fine by then

1977 Contemporary 1985 Off site 1987 Contemporary 1993 Caribbean Beach 2000 Contemporary 2004 Offsite 2005 POR engagement trip 2005 Bought SSR 2006 OKW trip 2008 SSR
problemchild718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
stm61
DIS Veteran

my dd9 had dermabond when she was a toddler, can't remember the exact age but she must of been around 2, 2 1/2. It was a small cut on her forehead and the er dr swore it wouldn't scar. He lied. She has a light scar that she hides under her bangs. It's not really noticeable in the winter when she's pale, but it stands out with her summer tan. If I had it to do over, I'd have insisted on a pediatric plastic surgeon and stitches.
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: